Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
First time 75% off:

But is it good?

I don't know who this guy is, but Steam reviews seem to basically look like this one:

Unfortunately I requested a refund for this game within an hour. I was really looking forward to it, so I wanted to like it, and thus feel quite disappointed that I had to ask for my money back. But the bottom line is that the game feels like one of those asset flip titles that get more or less universally panned.

Nearly all aspects of the presentation are mediocre to bad. The shooting is bland and lifeless, with underwhelming gun sounds and effects and little sense of impact on enemies--this alone is typically a dealbreaker for me with FPS games. If shooting doesn't feel right in a game that's primarily about shooting stuff, you've got a big problem. (Yes, I know that there are RPG elements in this game too, but they seem to be little more than a way of adding a bit of complexity to what would otherwise be a fairly standard run-and-gunner.) The animations in general are of really low quality (for example, when watching enemies move toward you, their movement looks very floaty, as if they aren't quite in contact with the ground or floor that they're moving along). In light of the trailers and the small amount of time that I played, enemy designs seem to be uninspired--the enemies are mostly large-sized mundane creatures (such as rats and spiders) that all slowly and unthinkingly lumber toward you on a straight line. This doesn't make for fun or exciting combat. The voice actors seem reasonably competent (maybe), but the scripts they were given to work with are so poorly done that they ended up sounding awful, and, in any case, I couldn't help but wince at the lines (and hackneyed tropes). The best I can say about the game's aesthetic is that it reminds me of FEAR (2005), but it's sadly without the awesome animations, sound effects, particle effects, etc., that made FEAR such a great-looking and sounding game.

The developers have made some odd choices, such as filling buildings with "stuck" doors that you need to hit or shoot at to open. Hitting them doesn't seem to work very well unless you're crouched, even though the knife or fists clearly contact the right spot while standing. Once in a while this wouldn't be a problem, but the constant "stuck" doors and hit-to-open mechanic are just tedious and silly. The devs also seem to like making the player run around and find passwords a lot in order to progress, which is about as boring as gameplay gets.

I found many indications of careless work on the game, even having barely played it. When a save is loaded, the screen is black and some white text briefly appears in the lower right-hand corner, giving the time and location (and maybe some other info that I paid so little attention to I forgot it). If you happen to click the left mouse button while this screen is up, your character will start shooting. Obviously this shouldn't be possible, the character shouldn't be active at that point, which suggests a lack of attention to detail on the part of the developers. Also, whether you punch or use a knife on an object, it seems that the same bright orange scratches always appear on it, regardless of the object. Why does punching a steel terminal leave it with bright orange scratches? I started punching a cardboard box at one point and bright orange scratches appeared *around* the box, floating in the air near it, rather than being *on* the box. When I stood up from the crouched position where I was punching the box, the scratches suddenly vanished. Also, when I smashed wooden boxes, sometimes bits of broken wood would be left behind, but other times wouldn't be. If a swinging door makes contact with your player, it will push him along the ground until fully open. I had to go through some doors that swing out at my character, shoving him out of the way in an awkward and immersion-breaking fashion--how did no one notice this ridiculous feature of the game before release? On a related note, NPCs seem able to jam you against a doorframe in a glitchy fashion as they stupidly try to push through the same opening you're moving through. A final bit of jank: at one point when I loaded a save, the only door into the room that I was in, which I had necessarily opened to get in the room, was closed and "stuck" again, as if I'd never opened it. Was this game barely playtested?

With respect to the story, I was given nothing to interest me. It seems to be a generic "a catastrophe happened, humanity is in peril, blah blah save the world" narrative, with the only twist that you seemingly have the option of being a bad guy who betrays mankind.

On the whole, the game is at best dull, and much more likely flat-out bad. It is maybe worth $3-5, max. If the developers want this game to succeed, I strongly suspect that they'd have to pull it from the Steam store for some time and radically overhaul it to give it any chance.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968176480/recommended/1301590/

So yes, seems excellent. Buy now!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mythos, 2012 hack and slash action RPG that was lost in a troubled history between the developer of Hellgate and its Korean publisher HanbitSoft:

ss_0b02e102fa85c06880eaf7b2abae30d019617ca4.600x338.jpg
ss_3def2d65879063d5e17de508d1a47b990dfcf9a8.600x338.jpg

Some people say this is FATE 2 or proto-Torchlight.

El Presidente

Arcane
Cloak & Dagger: Shadow Operations, tactical stealth action set in the early 90s:

ss_2d5b13706bd2961ea184989cd785b9eed13cd054.600x338.jpg
ss_a3885eb7d4eeef294a2d0a12bdc460ba0a70d46e.600x338.jpg

Looks somewhat interesting but images/videos don't show any enemies at this point.

This is the kind of stuff I'd :d1p: if it looked even remotely competent but holy shit, what a tragic trailer, even the game's logo looks embarrassingly amateur. The trailer has about 40 secs of in-game content and it's full of hard framerate drops. Are they telling us they're not capable of capturing 20 seconds of stable footage?

Terrible. I really hope they're somehow able to deliver something nice at the end but that doesn't look promising.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
KodexKultKlassics coming to Steam
https://bethesda.net/en/article/2RX...-bethesda-net-launcher-and-migrating-to-steam

Q: What if the game I own on the Bethesda.net Launcher is not available on Steam?
A: With the sunsetting of the Bethesda.net Launcher, we will be making several of our titles available on Steam that were previously unavailable. This includes The Elder Scrolls Arena, The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall, Creation Kit for Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition, and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The Fallout 76 Public Test Server (PTS) is currently available on Steam as well.

Q: How will I play my games?
A: We encourage our Bethesda.net Launcher community to continue their experience on Steam. In April, you will be able to migrate your Bethesda.net library to your Steam account. Any title you own on the Bethesda.net Launcher will be available to you free on Steam. Your purchases will carry over to your Steam account. Many game saves will also transfer, however some may require manual copying. For more information on which games will require you to manually move your saves, please see our FAQ Entry "What happens to my game progression and saves?".
Q: What will happen to the Bethesda.net launcher?
A: You will continue to have access to the Bethesda.net Launcher and access your games until May. Starting in May, you will no longer be able to play and access your games within the Bethesda.net Launcher.

Wolf ET on Steam could give some boost in popularity?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

New codex favorite in the making.

regardless of the production quality, i'm glad there's still off-the-beaten-path fps games made by tiny dev teams

the fact that this game is also completely fucking bonkers and over the top makes it a million times better.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

regardless of the production quality, i'm glad there's still off-the-beaten-path fps games made by tiny dev teams

the fact that this game is also completely fucking bonkers and over the top makes it a million times better.

What? The dive shooting is clearly superior to Max Payne. The fact that the soundtrack is next level is just amazing. 13/10, would buy for the soundtrack alone.

What? The dive shooting is clearly superior to Max Payne. The fact that the soundtrack is next level is just amazing. 13/10, would buy for the soundtrack alone.

Nidal Nijm said:
ALLAH AKBAR! ALLAH AKBAR! ALLAH AKBAR! Fursan al-Aqsa is BACK
Hello friends,

The zionists could not ban my game because it's political content, but they found a mistake of mine, and sent a DMCA take down notice to valve. The problem is that image of Telaviv City on the Iron Dome Panel Screen. I did not know that image was copyrighted, so the Israeli company who made that image sent this DMCA take down to Valve, and it is a standard to take the game down until things are fixed up. But it is just temporarly, I am already fixing it up. and re-checking all assets to see if there is any other copyrighted material. Be sure it will come back online, very soon, Insha Allah, and with many improvements, like the ability to cancel the Bullet Time effect, an updated Training Mission, and now the Knife Kills work like a charm. So the bad is for good
steamhappy

UPDATE 10/22/2021: Fursan al-Aqsa is BACK, thanks to help of Allah, thanks to STEAM and thanks to all my suporters!

https://twitter.com/UdkUltimate/status/1451540316582993925
Fucking kikes at the JIDF already tried to deprive us of this masterpiece :argh:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Broken Alliance, "an indie turn-based adventure strategy game with strong RPG elements, inspired by old school classics such as Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, Master of Magic and Disciples":

ss_6c6c8959ad2d905a161ce5beab0fc31c6bbbb1e1.600x338.jpg
ss_6689863fda9f0c9b01cc6e0a74bdcfff5688bdb8.600x338.jpg

Modron

Arcane
The Iron Oath is out now we can how much it triggers gd posters.

Winter Ember came out yesterday

April's been a pretty slow month for releases and may doesn't look much better.

Riskbreaker

ALLAHU AKBAR! ALLAHU AKBAR!

UDRUB UDRUB TEL AVIV!

I've been so twisted by teh internets that, the moment I saw that game and "Fursan" in its title, I assumed that you're playing as an islamist furry (and that the game is likely made by an actual, unironic islamist furry).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Watching this really made me nostalgic for this guy. btw, WEHT him?

lightbane

Arcane
Yesterday I discovered (or rediscovered) that the classic Conker game had a sequel planned that never came to light, sadly. There's little chance that a game like Conker is made nowadays, but at least there's that Rusty Pup thing from 2018 that I should check out. I also discovered this thing, released recently, allegedly based on Conker and quite prosperous, and not posted here yet.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"Mom, can we get Euro Truck Simulator?"
"No, we have Truck Simulator at home."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom