Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Fargus

Arcane
garabato-dibujado-mano-abstracto-garabato-enredado-vector-lineas-caoticas-al-azar_616756-485.jpg

7KGSLGXERUI6TIZRFXYS2VVIBM.jpg

Ash

Arcane
I bought:

Immortal redneck (already completed. It's good. I really enjoyed it, though the third pyramid was a bit too rehashy unfortunately)
Skyrim SE (why did I do this? Save my soul. I fucking hate his game and know mods can't save it, and yet...I was listening to morrowind music and getting all sentimental I guess)
Subterrain (playing now. I like it so far but it is missing a mastercraftsman's touches)
Shadowgrounds (this is kinda cool)
Nex Machina (don't like it)
Worms Revolution (started playing. 9 tutorial missions wtf. Minimal improvement over Armageddon/World Party, and perhaps some decline. Probably will delete)
Stalker: Clear Sky (bypassed this for the other two at everyone's recommendation. But then a trusted source said it is good, so I'll try it)
Shadow Warrior 2 (fine It's dirt cheap I'll give it a go)
Everspace (again, dirt cheap and looking to experiment)
Huntdown (looks quite epic)
Platformines (in hindsight this may have been a mistake, but dont knock it till you tried it as tey say, so I wont)
Sanctum 2 (dirt cheap)
Sin Gold (let's see what Nightdive has done here)
Wizardry 6-8 (dirt cheap! I hope I like them).

that's a lot of entertainment for like 60 bucks or whatever it was. Now I will browse the thread and see what other people are recommending and maybe grab one or two more.

Modron

Arcane
I beat Titan Outpost, Wasteland 3, Alvorra Tactics, Voidspire Tactics, Shadows Over Loathing, Might and Magic X Legacy, Eschalon Book 3, Elex 1, and 99% of Elex 2 (still need to finish it off). Not even including some RPG lite stuff like Lord of the Rings War in the North and Shigatari but for some reason 5 jrpgs is enough to rate higher on my web? Finished Fallout Olympus 2207 and Prelude to Darkness outside of steam.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Top-rated review (emphasis mine):

Don’t run a farm (this time)! Run an inn instead!

Info
• Difficulty modes: Classic and Relaxed. Classic is “normal” difficulty, while Relaxed is “easy” difficulty.
• On the game’s store page, it claims it takes 4 hours for the first playthrough, but for me, it took 6 hours. It’s just going to vary based on how people play the game.
• It is not possible to get all achievements on one playthrough, but one might be able to utilize multiple saves to their advantage. Also, some achievements are only available through New Game+.
• This isn’t like farming sims. In addition to no farming, there is no fighting, fishing, or mining either. However, there is collecting, technically.
• Time doesn’t constantly progress. Time progresses when you’re ready, by speaking with the butler or going to sleep.
• This game mainly focuses on management (of the inn): optimizing good matches of rooms and guests to maximize profit to pay off a (mysterious) loan.

Praises
• As RPG Maker games go, this one is very detailed and customized. I didn’t find any flaws in the design. Usually, there are weak spots, like, places to get stuck or sprites overlapping or being able to pass through things the sprite is not supposed to. This game must’ve been thoroughly tested.
• I didn’t feel it was tedious at all. A lot of sim games can begin to feel like that after playing them for a while, but this game doesn’t overwhelm the player with too many tasks at once.
• There’s a mystery behind why the protagonist inherits the manor (that gets converted into an inn) from her aunt. In a lot of sim games, the protagonist just lucks out by inheriting property/land from whatever relative, so it’s nice to see this be more interesting for once.
• You can allow pets! Lots of guests have pets. (The butler was hiding a cute, little kitty in his room because he didn’t know if the new owner – the protagonist – would be okay with him. So cute!)
• The dev is clever, because coming up with your own art is expensive (assuming you can’t draw for yourself), so what do they do? Use Vincent Van Gogh’s art (with proper credit, of course). His paintings are featured throughout the game and are an important part of the story.
• The menu used for managing the inn is very useful, as it keeps track of tasks, guests, rooms, and amenities. I imagine it was complicated to implement in RPG Maker. It wasn’t confusing/difficult at all.

Complaints
• No character customization.
• New Game+ doesn’t have that much content or many features added. Just a few differences and items.
• Lack of racial diversity. Tokenism.
• Lack of queer diversity. All couples are hetero.

• The protagonist can’t romance anyone. I know that’s more of a personal preference, but the game already involves matchmaking, so why not?

Despite its issues, I really liked it! For a $5 RPG Maker game, it really kept me entertained. I recommend it to anyone who likes management sim games.

A game which attracts low-level autists from Reddit such as this reviewer, and gets dozens of people to agree with them, is a game best avoided.

Acrux

Arcane
Why? It sounds like the dev didn't give in to wokism in this game. (I have no idea about any of the others.)

I've been looking for a good innkeeping game for years, post Ultima-online. My (non-Reddit) low-level autsim had me spending hours cleaning floors and serving guests food and drink in Traveller's Rest, which showed promise but the devs have stalled out and I think changed teams a couple of times.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got three games, two for me, one for my kid.

OlliOlli World has like, Cthulhu-like skater gods and lots of metaphysic defined monsters in some stages, kinda surreal to see. Besides that the gameplay is downright excellent and tough as hell. Played for 2 hours and I felt like my left analog stick was ready to leave this planet.

Thinking about getting Rollerdrome from the same devs, seem like a talented bunch, shame there seems to be not a lot of buzz around their latest games.

Heard great things about Tunic, mainly comparisons with Outer Wilds which is... wild, thought it would be just a simple zelda clone like Death's Door. Ready to be surprised then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom