Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - Kickstarter Live

ADL

Prophet
Honestly if this game ends up being Daggerfall 1.5, I'll be plenty happy

There's no game quite like it and a successor would be great
There's three Daggerfall successors currently in development. This one, the one made by the creator of Daggerfall Unity using his own engine and all the knowledge he gained from working on DFU, and another one that was debuted on the Daggerfall Unity Workshop forums. One of them is bound to be decent. It doesn't have to be this one, but this will be the one that receives the most funding so I hope for the best.

xuerebx

Erudite
Wait, I thought they just had concept art? How did they go from that to a gameplay video (even if it's just a bunch of test zones, there's still something)?

grimace

Arcane
Wait, I thought they just had concept art? How did they go from that to a gameplay video (even if it's just a bunch of test zones, there's still something)?

Unreal game engine with Unreal assets from the 3D asset marketplace. It's a proof of concept video rendered in game engine. It's not gameplay. No one played the game to record the footage.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This game is intended to be a spiritual successor to Daggerfall and the Elder Scrolls setting
Aha! So that's why there's talk of futa characters, they're trying to honor Morrowind! And here I thought it was someone's thinly disguised fetish! :-D
Everything I've seen so far is dogshit.
Don't get your hopes up too high.
It's nostalgia bait.
They won't ever make a game like Daggerfall.

Gargaune

Arcane
So for 40$ you get some alpha game?! Where is 20$ full release version?!
Oh, I didn't even notice that - so they've got two tiers of panhandling ($15 for 5 wallpapers, fuck off) and the lowest tier to actually get the game is $40? Warhorse offered KCD for like $25 and Monomyth was up for just under $20. I know inflation's a thing, especially since KCD's days, but Wayward Realms seems to be on the pricey side given how much of a long shot they're pitching. You can buy an actual, completed Colony Ship or Wasteland 3 for that kind of money and be playing it ten minutes later. Throw in another fiver and you've got Jagged Alliance 3, winner of the prestigious RPG Codex GOTY 2023 award.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
So for 40$ you get some alpha game?! Where is 20$ full release version?!
Oh, I didn't even notice that - so they've got two tiers of panhandling ($15 for 5 wallpapers, fuck off) and the lowest tier to actually get the game is $40? Warhorse offered KCD for like $25 and Monomyth was up for just under $20. I know inflation's a thing, especially since KCD's days, but Wayward Realms seems to be on the pricey side given how much of a long shot they're pitching. You can buy an actual, completed Colony Ship or Wasteland 3 for that kind of money and be playing it ten minutes later. Throw in another fiver and you've got Jagged Alliance 3, winner of the prestigious RPG Codex GOTY 2023 award.
The average pledge so far is almost 100 USD. They know their whales will pay up.

ADL

Prophet
$225,000 raised in the first 24 hours and that was without the $100/1000 limited physical signed book add-on (that just went live). Impressive.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Backed, and i also posted this comment:

"Daggerfall, along with Torment, Elite, and the original X-COM, represented the pinnacle of my 45-year gaming career. I'm quite pessimistic about the possibility of this project materializing according to the developers' plans and the backers' wishes, and I fear a repeat of what happened with Gollop and Phoenix Point, a betrayal of fan trust that still burns me to have contributed to, let alone having my name in the credits of that abomination. Whatever the case, forty dollars is an investment I'm still willing to make to chase a dream, that of one day being able to play a game that can make me feel the same emotions I felt in 1996. Developers, you have my sword".

Rudra

Literate

"Daggerfall, along with Torment, Elite, and the original X-COM, represented the pinnacle of my 45-year gaming career. I'm quite pessimistic about the possibility of this project materializing according to the developers' plans and the backers' wishes, and I fear a repeat of what happened with Gollop and Phoenix Point, a betrayal of fan trust that still burns me to have contributed to, let alone having my name in the credits of that abomination. Whatever the case, forty dollars is an investment I'm still willing to make to chase a dream, that of one day being able to play a game that can make me feel the same emotions I felt in 1996. Developers, you have my sword".
You know what?

Based

It isn't "reddit" or "cringe" to hope and have faith, and take a risk

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know what?

Based

I wouldn't call it faith, it's more of a vague (and probably vain) hope. But then again, there are those who gamble regularly or play the lottery, throwing away their salaries and pensions, so I think betting a few chips on this number can't do me too much harm. If it goes wrong, so be it, it's certainly not the first time I've been disappointed by a game, and certainly not the last.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

You know what?

Based

So when are you getting a developer tag?

:smug:

Ivan

Arcane

Hellion

Arcane
I wonder if Todd will back it at the "create an NPC" level with his Skyrim bucks, and force his likeness upon this game as an ultimate insult to the creators of TES.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Almost $300k. I wish them the best of luck, but I am not confident about this one, so I'll refrain from backing.

Dwergar

Barely Literate
People do not read what they wrote on the Kickstarter. To their credit, they've been strait forward about all this. They are asking for $500K for one year of development to make a map which is 140km2 and two playable races, orc and human.

Now what does that mean? That 140km2 roughly translates into 11x11km map. It is equivalent of asking money for one year of development to make Betony Island from Daggerfall. It would be sort of playable Alpha proof-of-concept project, which they will take to publishers to get a proper, multi million funding that is needed for the entire project.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Almost $300k. I wish them the best of luck, but I am not confident about this one, so I'll refrain from backing.
Kickstarter and crowd funded games have a history of gaining succes and renown.

Right?
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom