Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

MoonlitKnight

Educated
the stamina-based combat mechanics of TW2 (which were better than what we got in TW3 IMO)
The only thing that was stamina based was blocking and that made it even worse than rolling even though it already was.
The system was far from perfect, but combat was way more challenging than in TW3 in any case.

Only because of the jank, not due to any inherent advantages of the system.
not really
both of them clunky for their distinct reasons but replaying both of them its clear that mastering W2 combat has some rhythm to it, while mastering W3 is an act of choosing win button perks. Which is almost paradoxical since W2 has ACTUAL win buttons perks

Danikas

Arcane
the stamina-based combat mechanics of TW2 (which were better than what we got in TW3 IMO)
The only thing that was stamina based was blocking and that made it even worse than rolling even though it already was.
The system was far from perfect, but combat was way more challenging than in TW3 in any case.

not really
both of them clunky for their distinct reasons but replaying both of them its clear that mastering W2 combat has some rhythm to it, while mastering W3 is an act of choosing win button perks. Which is almost paradoxical since W2 has ACTUAL win buttons perks
Witcher 3 has some jank (its not even close to the amount of jank in Witcher 2) but at least you can make the combat look good which is impossible in Witcher 2.

MoonlitKnight

Educated

not really
Witcher 3 has some jank (its not even close to the amount of jank in Witcher 2) but at least you can make the combat look good which is impossible in Witcher 2.

Mostly true for specific boss battles (havent played B&W though) but most of the time you'll fight groups in both games, which I've found to be ridiculous in W3 (several points into aard knock them down immediately)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
TW3 combat is laughably easy compared to TW2. Made it all using Fast strikes, never spent a point in the Combat tree since it was never needed, never needed Strong strikes, and used a minimum of Signs. Obviously this is on the Death March difficulty.

Combat really felt weightless in TW3 compared to TW2. It's the first of the series where I could win some fights just by mashing the fast attack button. It's just bad. At the last half of the game I started leveling signs I never used instead of Combat skills, just to see what they would do. Combat skills were that useless to me. And leveling them up would make the fights even less challenging.

Hell I even tried fighting monsters way over my level (Skull dudes) to find a challenge, but all I got was insane artificial damage reduction that made the whole thing a drag.

I'd take TW1 or TW2's combat and balance over TW3's any day, despite their many flaws.

Maxie

Having hated on TW3 for several years without playing it once, I finally got to playing the game, and I must tell you - at 30h in it's decently entertaining and very few things I'd venture to call unlikeable

Vatnik Wumao
Having hated on TW3 for several years without playing it once, I finally got to playing the game, and I must tell you - at 30h in it's decently entertaining and very few things I'd venture to call unlikeable

What can change the nature of man?

30 hours of Witcher 3
Only 30, eh?

u95X03E.png

I also plan on doing another playthrough some day as to get the last few achievements.

Maxie

30 hours of Witcher 3
Only 30, eh?

u95X03E.png

I also plan on doing another playthrough some day as to get the last few achievements.
Pip pop cheerio eh old bean? You're fucking Romanian stop with the cringe

Vatnik Wumao

30 hours of Witcher 3
Only 30, eh?

u95X03E.png

Pip pop cheerio eh old bean? You're fucking Romanian stop with the cringe
Play more TW3, Maxie.

bat_boro

Arcane
TW3 combat is laughably easy compared to TW2. Made it all using Fast strikes, never spent a point in the Combat tree since it was never needed, never needed Strong strikes, and used a minimum of Signs. Obviously this is on the Death March difficulty.

Combat really felt weightless in TW3 compared to TW2. It's the first of the series where I could win some fights just by mashing the fast attack button. It's just bad. At the last half of the game I started leveling signs I never used instead of Combat skills, just to see what they would do. Combat skills were that useless to me. And leveling them up would make the fights even less challenging.

Hell I even tried fighting monsters way over my level (Skull dudes) to find a challenge, but all I got was insane artificial damage reduction that made the whole thing a drag.

I'd take TW1 or TW2's combat and balance over TW3's any day, despite their many flaws.

Can confirm this, I recently finished Wild Hunt, HoS + B&W and was left with 54 attribute points to spend at the end of it. I stopped putting any points into anything sometime near level 15 I suppose. This was on Blood and Broken Bones though, so not the highest difficulty. I was saving these points for the mutations skill tree in B&W and was pretty disappointed that I didn't get an achievement when I unlocked every skill from that one :/

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for telling us! :D

Deleted member 7219

I daresay most of the haters here are either edgelords, or haven't actually played it.

I'll be the first to say the character attributes/skills/levelling system is awful, but the game more than makes up for it in every other respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerrard

Arcane
Zaktualizowałem mój maxie.txt

Maxie

Why do the Skellige islands have so laughably little shit going on outside of Are Skellig? Faroe doesn't even have anything apart from Lambert's questline fight lol

This is not a game, this is a movie. Whatever little there is of gameplay in particular outside of the mediocre combat pretty much witcher senses itself. No wonder it's that popular, generation Netflix.

Maybe one day I'll still f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ sit through it though.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Everybody beat me down whenever I complained about the gameplay.
This game is judged to be waaay higher than what it is, because of all the emotional story fags.
Finally some bitterness, it only took 5 years.

Codex Year of the Donut
Everybody beat me down whenever I complained about the gameplay.
This game is judged to be waaay higher than what it is, because of all the emotional story fags.
Finally some bitterness, it only took 5 years.
Hearts of Stone when judged by itself is easily near the top of my favorite RPGs.
The base game is too long and has a very unsatisfying main story.

Falksi

Arcane
I was the same as Dedicated_Dark, couldn't believe the praise the base game got. A fucking 100 odd hour movie which was dull as fucking dishwater. Even half the Dex got corrupted by it's bullshit. Agree with rusty_shackleford though, the expansions were gravy.

TW3 is up there with Skyrim in terms of how much it ruined gaming, by influencing devs to take tightly focussed RPG's, and butcher them into long winded, bloated, pieces of shit.

Skyrim is really to blame for TW3's direction though. If that hadn't have been as successful then I doubt CDPR would have made TW3 as big.

Maxie

stop virtue signalling at each other this thread is now my twitcher travelogue not your brofist harvesting ground

Semiurge

Cipher
Skyrim is really to blame for TW3's direction though. If that hadn't have been as successful then I doubt CDPR would have made TW3 as big.

Mass Effect 1&2 are to blame for TW2, and it turned out good. Not how it could've been without the time restraints but an atmospheric adventure nonetheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom