Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Infinitron, Jul 6, 2016.

1. norolim Cipher

norolim
    No, I didn't claim, having strong women in your game/film is a sign of wokeness. But repeatedly stressing, that wahmen in your game/film are "strong and independent" and capable of "taking care of themselves", especially using those exact "ritualistic" phrases is woke, though. And that is what I noticed in Witcher 3.

The only Czech princesses I know is Arabela, a lady threatened by the best villain in the history of television — Rumburak

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. jackofshadows Learned

jackofshadows
    What about the source? Have you read it? With this approach it possible to find plenty of "wokeness" there, take "lodge of sorceressess" alone, what a matriarchal shit is that?

^ Top  
  3. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Yeah. The Sapkowski books were plenty woke, but in a good way. Same with games. It's not the cheap agenda-driven shit pushed by farleft morons.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Danikas Magister

Danikas
    [​IMG]

‘And then what happens?’ continued Avallac’h. ‘The elves, bored with their boring elven women, start to prefer willing human women, and the bored female elf indulged in the perverse curiosity, of the human male who is always full of vigor and strength. And then something happened that no one expected and no one could explain – elves normally only ovulate once every ten to twenty years, but from mating with humans, they began to ovulate with every intense orgasm. It worked with some kind of hidden hormone or combination of hormones. The elven women understood that in practice they could have children only with humans. Its elven women that stopped us from exterminating you when we were stronger. Later you became stronger and you began to exterminate us. But you still had allies among the elven women, They were the party of convenience, cooperation and coexistence… and they did not want to recognize the reality that it was all about copulation.

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    One problem is everyone's definition of "woke" is different. To some a simple "hey racism is bad bro" is too woke, which is pretty silly. Both sides are way too quick to start whining when confronted by something they don't agree with.

For me it really comes down to writing. Bioware's dumb tranny in Mass Effect was bad because she was like "HEY HOW YA DOIN' I'M TRANS BY THE WAY," which was poorly written and presented. Witcher 3 has very good (video game) writing, so any messages it might be trying to send are more nuanced and well presented in general. The lack of bitching about it here for the most part bears this out. Unless most of their writing staff quit I'm sure Cyberpunk will be equally well presented, though the setting and themes of the game will likely lend themselves to content many here will be against simply existing in the game. The whiny bitching will be epic.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. norolim Cipher

norolim
    Read all the books twice. Sapkowski had a liberal worldview, whether he knew it or not. Remember he started writing the short stories in mid 80s, when Poland was still the Peoples Republic and the divisions were quite different, than they are today. He probably didn't even realise, some of the ideas and characters would be praised by feminists 40 years later. He was likely just a cuck fantasizing about stronk women dominating him. But whether his views were clearly defined or not, he was a more traditional liberal, not the modern radical raging one.

I clearly stated, it is quite subtle in Witcher 3. Cyberpunk is a different story though, the world is in a different place now, and the signals coming from the studio are not good. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting too much restraint in the ideology department.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Semiurge Learned

Semiurge
    I though that pic was from Blackadder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The "signals" most of you rant about are things like having a diversity manager and tweeting out basic support of things like black lives matter, which every corporation does nowadays. Only possible "warning sign" I've seen is allowing you to make a trans character, but starting you off with a male or female body and then letting you do whatever the fuck you want to it is very in keeping with the setting. So is all manner of debauchery in general. If it ends up being poorly written and agenda driven then you can say "I told you so," but at the moment I think it's typical internet sandy vaginas.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. norolim Cipher

norolim
    The left, most of which is radical these days, has been trying to shut down discussion for a long time now. A mere mention of a problem or dissatisfaction is enough to try and ridicule and accuse people of whining, bitching or ranting. And if that doesn't work, they use stronger weaponized vocabulary. They are hoping people will refrain from voicing their concerns for fear of being aggregated into a common pool of sexists, misogynists or other fascists. This allows the left to preach their increasingly aggressive ideology to the silent masses. Well, this shit doesn't work anymore.

So, here is the thing, commie: you go fuck yourself with your gay tactics, and we continue to discuss, bitch and rant about whatever the fuck we want.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Silverfish Educated

Silverfish
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Reminder that Sapkowski has always been overrated, and he rose to fame thanks to supply-side starvation of the market for fantasy fiction.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Nice rant, but not sure what it has do with anything. My point is there's nothing to bitch about yet with Cyberpunk, really. Unless you don't think trannies fit the setting at all, which would make you monumentally retarded. If there is some poorly written safe space garbage in the game then I'll be bitching about it with you when the time comes.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    the witcher games are much better than the novels

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    An author so clueless about the biology of his own kind can never turn woke :lol:

And yes, CDPR have done wonders with the IP, and the witcher games have higher literary qualities than anything Sapkowski has, or will ever write.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. CoronerZg Educated

CoronerZg
    Well... his Hussite Trilogy was pretty good actually :)

• No No x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Silverfish Educated

Silverfish
    Who wrote it for him?

^ Top  
  17. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I think TW3's a massively overrated, dull as hell piece of popamole trash, and I like popamole games if done well. But there can be no denying that one thing it does do well is bury it's wokeness behind good writing. Not only does it contain wokeness, but it actually normalizes it to some degree.

Another reason for me to never touch it again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    It was a bit silly how Cerys was the obvious better choice for Skellige and this was rubbed into the player's face at every step of the way, but that's the most "woke" aspect of the writing that I can come up.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. norolim Cipher

norolim
    Nice straw man you set up there. Well done for knocking it down so quickly and decisively.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    ...and then they subvert it in the ending cutscene when they say how she defanged Skellige..and Svanrige would have probably been a better ruler anyway

also this hateboner on Sapkowski is retarded, both Witcher and Hussite books are awesome

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. CoronerZg Educated

CoronerZg
    Yeah, I can understand the hate for Witcher novels, cause he in fact did steal the idea and part of the setting, even though novels are objectively good and sometimes even great. But it's super silly when people translate the hate to his other books as well. Sapkowski is a dick, but he wrote some good shit too.
    Also, maybe most of the people here read his books in english and I've heard english translation is generally poor and especially terrible at capturing the slavic slang and small talk.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    ^ Top  
  22. ekrolo2 Novice

ekrolo2
    The official one is okay, sometimes pretty good but I'd recommend everyone to try out the fan translations instead. The dialogue flows better, the prose is in-general less bland and it's made my latest read of the books a much better time for the most part.

^ Top  
  23. Danikas Magister

Danikas

• meh meh x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    I would pick Cerys even if she was a tyrant because she was hot and who cares if virtual bits and bytes people in a vidya game suffer i choose with my dick.

• cuck cuck x 2
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    If you by any chance mean the Hussite trilogy, it was the blandest thing ever.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.