Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
They learned that one from Rockstar too.

nah, this they learned from bethesda

might as well call it witcher 3 special edition
But unlike Bethesda, they are giving it free to even the previous gen console owners, who charged PS4 and Xbox One players even if they owned it on PS3 or Xbox 360.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Btw, I guess it would suck to be the The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project devs, who were planning to release the final version of their mod, 5 year in making, in two weeks. :eek:

Sentinel

Arcane
Well, when you dedicate your entire time to making ultra HD textures for a third person game, you probably aren't the sharpest tool in the shed anyway.

retinoid

Savant
Btw, I guess it would suck to be the The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project devs, who were planning to release the final version of their mod, 5 year in making, in two weeks. :eek:

Why would the update affect the mod? The update is just adding basic ray tracing support and maybe some lighting upgrades, I doubt there will be texture changes at all. It's a free update, not a new product.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Why would the update affect the mod? The update is just adding basic ray tracing support and maybe some lighting upgrades, I doubt there will be texture changes at all. It's a free update, not a new product.

Quite apart from that, any graphics mod like that is going to be a flavour thing - it's not necessarily "better" in terms of art design than the original, just more detailed in some particular way that appeals to the aesthetic sense of the mod maker, which may or may not coincide with the original art design intent or appeal to the average player.

There are many times I've tried graphics mods that, while certainly a step up in terms of sheer detail (more pixels) don't look right in the game, clash with the aesthetics, etc.

So the HD Reworked project would continue to be its own thing, its own look and feel, and another option for the game, even if CDPR did do its own graphics upgrade.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Quite apart from that, any graphics mod like that is going to be a flavour thing - it's not necessarily "better" in terms of art design than the original, just more detailed in some particular way that appeals to the aesthetic sense of the mod maker, which may or may not coincide with the original art design intent or appeal to the average player.

I dunno, I'm split on this.. some of those before and afters are just objectively better whereas others.. deff fall way more into the "Meh, I guess" category. (Which your statement rings true for)

Witcher 3 deff cut some corners in certain areas where the difference is night and day.. it's more a bug fix than anything.. overall though the mod seems like a waste of time especially if it's gonna be 70 gigs just so I can see a bit more lines on the wood grain.

EDIT:

Just to follow up.. Creating full PBR workflow textures for assets is almost meaningless if your engine isn't going to take advantage of it. Witcher 3 Engine is pretty good in this regard but your textures only get you so far.

Having 4K res textures also loses a bit of it's shine when you're third person all the time, likely 90% of those textures get mip mapped down to something far smaller anyways.

Maybe helps them try things out for the nextgen version of CP2077. AFAIK they already didn't bother fixing the 60fps bugs (hair, fur, grass, trees moving twice as fast as intended etc) for the xox version so expectations in check.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Although this is nice, I don't really think it is necessary to add this stuff to TW3. The game is fine as it is.

Instead, I would be really interested and willing to pay again if CDP remastered the whole trilogy into a single game with the same engine, mechanics and so on.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Although this is nice, I don't really think it is necessary to add this stuff to TW3. The game is fine as it is.

Instead, I would be really interested and willing to pay again if CDP remastered the whole trilogy into a single game with the same engine, mechanics and so on.

This would be a huge amount of work, especially for Witcher 1 - That thing ran on the fucking Aurora engine.
That would be a ground up remake.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

As long as they keep the Witcher 1 inventory and alchemy systems...

Semiurge

Cipher

As long as they keep the Witcher 1 inventory and alchemy systems...

And add Witcher 2's "lost episode" set in Dol Blathanna.

Jezal_k23

Don't really mean much to me unless they were going to rework their god awful combat system. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

I can't hate on it. Special edition was a good re-release: much improved visuals, 64 bit engine that is way more stable and has markedly better performance.

For w3 though, not much point.

Thalion

Novice

But unlike Bethesda, they are giving it free to even the previous gen console owners, who charged PS4 and Xbox One players even if they owned it on PS3 or Xbox 360.

If you want it on PS5 or Xbox SeX you need to buy it. There is a free update if you own it on PC or current gen consoles.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Oh no.

They'd most likely base this on TW3, and fuck up the good Witcher preparation and potion mechanics of TW1, and the stamina-based combat mechanics of TW2 (which were better than what we got in TW3 IMO). With extra level scaling and monsters having damage reduction based on the difference between their level and yours. Fuck that.

TW3 has the worst mechanics of the series, bland, boring, no-challenge mechanics tailor-made for the mass market.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
the stamina-based combat mechanics of TW2 (which were better than what we got in TW3 IMO)
The only thing that was stamina based was blocking and that made it even worse than rolling even though it already was.
The system was far from perfect, but combat was way more challenging than in TW3 in any case.

Only because of the jank, not due to any inherent advantages of the system.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Textures have to be updated for ray-tracing so that the new light can actually bounce off and, you know... work. The size and resolution and definition of the textures will probably remain the same but they'll still need to be edited for the RT so that will almost definitely invalidate the HD Reworked mod.

Womp womp.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex probably knows this, but it seems the W3 is getting a next generation update for the new consoles. It's free and I think aimed at the new Nvidia cards.

Would be nice if they managed some expansion packs as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom