Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Infinitron, Jul 6, 2016.

1. cretin Learned

cretin
    I can't hate on it. Special edition was a good re-release: much improved visuals, 64 bit engine that is way more stable and has markedly better performance.

For w3 though, not much point.

^ Top  
  2. Thalion Novice

Thalion
    If you want it on PS5 or Xbox SeX you need to buy it. There is a free update if you own it on PC or current gen consoles.

^ Top  
  3. Dedicated_Dark Savant

Dedicated_Dark

Still won't get these graphics...

• No No x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Oh no.

They'd most likely base this on TW3, and fuck up the good Witcher preparation and potion mechanics of TW1, and the stamina-based combat mechanics of TW2 (which were better than what we got in TW3 IMO). With extra level scaling and monsters having damage reduction based on the difference between their level and yours. Fuck that.

TW3 has the worst mechanics of the series, bland, boring, no-challenge mechanics tailor-made for the mass market.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. KeighnMcDeath Arbiter

KeighnMcDeath
    Won't it become THE WITCHER GOTD PACK (game of the decade)?

^ Top  
  6. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    The only thing that was stamina based was blocking and that made it even worse than rolling even though it already was.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The system was far from perfect, but combat was way more challenging than in TW3 in any case.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Only because of the jank, not due to any inherent advantages of the system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Textures have to be updated for ray-tracing so that the new light can actually bounce off and, you know... work. The size and resolution and definition of the textures will probably remain the same but they'll still need to be edited for the RT so that will almost definitely invalidate the HD Reworked mod.

Womp womp.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Chippy Arcane

Chippy
    Codex probably knows this, but it seems the W3 is getting a next generation update for the new consoles. It's free and I think aimed at the new Nvidia cards.

Would be nice if they managed some expansion packs as well.

^ Top  
  11. Diablo1_reborn Viva New Vegas! Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Not even GOTY.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MoonlitKnight Educated

MoonlitKnight
    not really
    both of them clunky for their distinct reasons but replaying both of them its clear that mastering W2 combat has some rhythm to it, while mastering W3 is an act of choosing win button perks. Which is almost paradoxical since W2 has ACTUAL win buttons perks

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    Witcher 3 has some jank (its not even close to the amount of jank in Witcher 2) but at least you can make the combat look good which is impossible in Witcher 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MoonlitKnight Educated

MoonlitKnight
    Mostly true for specific boss battles (havent played B&W though) but most of the time you'll fight groups in both games, which I've found to be ridiculous in W3 (several points into aard knock them down immediately)

^ Top  
  15. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    TW3 combat is laughably easy compared to TW2. Made it all using Fast strikes, never spent a point in the Combat tree since it was never needed, never needed Strong strikes, and used a minimum of Signs. Obviously this is on the Death March difficulty.

Combat really felt weightless in TW3 compared to TW2. It's the first of the series where I could win some fights just by mashing the fast attack button. It's just bad. At the last half of the game I started leveling signs I never used instead of Combat skills, just to see what they would do. Combat skills were that useless to me. And leveling them up would make the fights even less challenging.

Hell I even tried fighting monsters way over my level (Skull dudes) to find a challenge, but all I got was insane artificial damage reduction that made the whole thing a drag.

I'd take TW1 or TW2's combat and balance over TW3's any day, despite their many flaws.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Maxie Arcane

Maxie
    Having hated on TW3 for several years without playing it once, I finally got to playing the game, and I must tell you - at 30h in it's decently entertaining and very few things I'd venture to call unlikeable

• Funny x 4
    • decline x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    What can change the nature of man?

30 hours of Witcher 3

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Only 30, eh?

[​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    I also plan on doing another playthrough some day as to get the last few achievements.

• Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Maxie Arcane

Maxie
    Pip pop cheerio eh old bean? You're fucking Romanian stop with the cringe

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Play more TW3, Maxie.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. bat_boro Arcane

bat_boro
    Can confirm this, I recently finished Wild Hunt, HoS + B&W and was left with 54 attribute points to spend at the end of it. I stopped putting any points into anything sometime near level 15 I suppose. This was on Blood and Broken Bones though, so not the highest difficulty. I was saving these points for the mutations skill tree in B&W and was pretty disappointed that I didn't get an achievement when I unlocked every skill from that one :/

^ Top  
  22. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Thanks for telling us! :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I daresay most of the haters here are either edgelords, or haven't actually played it.

I'll be the first to say the character attributes/skills/levelling system is awful, but the game more than makes up for it in every other respect.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • No x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    Edgelords on my Codex? Well I never.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Zaktualizowałem mój maxie.txt

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.