Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gerrard

Arcane
I wonder if they just outright removed DX11 features like tessellation. Doesn't make sense.

MasPingon

Arcane
As a big fan of The Witcher franchise I must say I'm really dissapointed with CDPR actions. They build their image as a an "old-school", PC-centric developer, not charging for DLC's. They wanted to be seen as a fresh burst of air in "rotten" game industry, even call themselfs a "rebels". I can't believe how stupid people are, cause judging by comments on y2b, their PR mechanism actually works.

So, they have published Witcher 2 a couple of years ago on PC first, saying "Here, we deliever hardcore cprg, it's absolutely PC game, created with PC as a platform". Well, anyone with half of a brain know that's not exactly true. They published the game that was finished in about 80%, without intro, without proper ending, with missing assets, with lack of content( parts of 1st and 2nd act, whole 3rd act), etc. They didn't publish this crap on consoles, because this would be the end of CDPR. The other reason might be, they didin't have permisson of Microsoft and Sony, since they got their own quality requirements. So, another half a year they were working in the sweat of their brows, to finally end the cycle of production, show the finished product and take the console market.

CDPR PR departement meeting:
-"Guys, isn't it unethical?"We can't tell all those fucking morons, who already bought half of a product, we actually fooled them"
-"Ofcourse we can't" - agreed PR department master chief assistant - "That's why we tell them we prepared some new shit for absolutely no charge. We will call it "free dlc's" and "enhanced edition", they will adore us for this kind of dedication"
- "Damn man, that's a truly diabolical plan. We just can't get away with this!"
-"...

I'm glad I didn't preorder TW3 yet, this PR bullshit is even bigger caliber.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Shut up about the downgrade already. The discussion was valid when it was fresh, months ago, now if you fucking don't like how the game looks like, just don't buy it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Watching some people play TW1, requiring the ability to read and common sense was clearly too hardcore for your typical modern gamer.

Perkel

Arcane
Some areas do look different now compared to old trailers. Obviously also there were some filters.
Still game looks absolutely amazing:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
There's some inconsistency in the released material, I find. Some areas look stunning, while others not so much.

This for example looks great :
KdDxZlW.jpg

Sodafish

Arcane
The scenes where there is contrasty light (i.e. shaded areas like dense woodland or with early morning/late evening light etc) look great, but the open areas with mid-day diffuse lighting look like completely washed out, flat shit now. Just look at the bushes on the left in the above short vid; they have no depth at all, and dont appear to cast any self shadows.

MasPingon

Arcane
GrOzpbD.jpg

:incloosive:

(gonna watch for LoversLab mod)

The lightning looks horrible. Adam Badowski has the balls to say:

Meanwhile, the quality of the lightning in the trailer remains a matter of taste. We’ve made a mistake choosing to render some shots in dark and greyish colors. To put it simply, that was the option picked by the engine. I think that there will be locations that will look jaw-dropping, and no one will claim that they differ from what was seen in the trailer. Unfortunately, there will also be fragments where the game will look worse. It’s the same with GTA – when the wind picks up and it gets grey, especially in the forest, the graphics seem certainly worse than in a neon-filled and lively city.

I got no doubts they changed lightning system, it looks flat and dull. Worst thing is that they won't admit it. It's not a matter of taste or grayish colors, I know many games with dark color pallete and great lightning, this seems wrong. Just look at this:

j98vu9.png

30a438p.png

And "beautiful" sunset.

2q37mly.png

Dude got the balls to compare this travesty to gta 5

0_0.jpg

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh yes. REDengine frying your retina with nuclear red since Witcher 2.

428716d1308218013-sammelthread-witcher-2-assassins-kings-witcher2-bloom-effekt-aus.jpg

the-witcher-2-03-lg.jpg

witcher2.jpg

iiULLIdy8GzHZ.png

Personally I think whoever is responsible for the colour saturation of REDengine is either an idiot, blind or disabled and nobody has the heart to tell him to fix that shit.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I dont give a shit am not that concerned about the graphics quality but the overall vibe in this classic Codex thread is trending towards 'massive failure ahoy!' as tradition requires.:salute:

Still, im in anyway, expecting a disappointing DA3-like vapid open world experience with a slightly longer main quest plus lots and lots and lost and LOTS of filler shit topped of with mediocre cartwheel rolldodge combat.

I went for the more expensive steam option since GOG management refused to reinstate my account which has a defunct email address and i dont remember the password. Re-sending me my password to that address doesnt really solve the issue..:roll:

Looking forward to the thread after release so we can really get going flaming the game (and posting funny pics and vids).

Sacibengala

Prophet
Oh yes. REDengine frying your retina with nuclear red since Witcher 2.

428716d1308218013-sammelthread-witcher-2-assassins-kings-witcher2-bloom-effekt-aus.jpg

the-witcher-2-03-lg.jpg

witcher2.jpg

iiULLIdy8GzHZ.png

Personally I think whoever is responsible for the colour saturation of REDengine is either an idiot, blind or disabled and nobody has the heart to tell him to fix that shit.
They're not RED for nothing. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom