Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Florian Gheorghe, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    :despair:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ocelot570 Educated

Ocelot570
    ya numenera wasn't great... I got it in a humble bundle with other random games for like $15 so I didn't feel bad, but it was just a ton of broken promises and didn't live up to all that much. I beat it twice and there were some interesting differences, but I just wish it had more locations. Just 4 locations overall and 2 were of a moderate size. there can be fun but it is a punishing game to get through.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Imagine still playing this shit post Disco Elysium

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zariusz Savant

Zariusz
    Well i finished Disco Elysium long time ago and i wanted to check this infamous meme with my own eyes

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. CancerUnlimited Unwanted

Unwanted
    This game was utter shit and Brian Fargo is a jewish con man (allegedly). /thread

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Heh, after all those years, they changed description of this one achievement. https://steamdb.info/app/272270/history/?changeid=U:25441979

Offensive, eh?

• Funny x 3
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    I finally figured out what it would take to make me go back to playing Tides of Numenera : paying 50 shekels three days ago for a brand new CRPG that somehow managed to disappoint me even faster.

Oh well. At least, I've now finished this game.

As all Codexers know by now, it's not very good. The game apes PST in quite a few ways, which was obviously a poor idea (by definition, you can't imitate creativity and originality). It has a few ambitious ideas here and there, but fails to implement them well.

One of its main problems is its source material (I suspect the same could be said of my recent buy...). Numenéra is an overly broad setting, in which pretty much everything is possible : giant robots, utterly alien beings, time travel, alternate dimensions, WMDs, etc. A smart DM, in such a setting, would keep major weirdness rare, in order to make it feel special. But the game does the exact opposite : the weirdness is all over the place and frequently carried to extremes. Sigil was weird, but plenty of its citizens lived mostly normal lives ; the city was stable and had a coherent atmosphere. By comparison, the contents of the city at the beginning of ToN (I don't even remember its name) are extraordinary most of the time and have very little coherence ; I could never trick myself into believing that it was a real place.

In general, too much time and too many words were spent on non-essential weird things, that are complicated for the sake of being complicated, don't contribute anything good to the atmosphere and don't provide the player with any sort of entertainment.

And on the other hand, the Tides - one of the story's most important elements - remain thoroughly underdeveloped and uninteresting until the very end.

Having action scenes that are not necessarily about combat feels like an interesting idea. But in practice, the game always has to hold your hand during those scenes, telling you what to do so precisely that actually fighting it out would probably be the more intellectual option.

The ending is about as meh as the rest. Many things should have been developed better in order to give it more impact. But that would have required spending less time on unnecessary bullshit, clearly something that never entered the minds of the creators of this game.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.