Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Zariusz

Arbiter
For real those fucking avatars are garbage
Probably even some random shit from Artflow.ai would be better, eh why not, im going to check it.

EDIT:
y38oV54.png

Hmm... not what i expected but whatever

plem

Learned
gotta say

i'm starting to be really curious about this thing

should it be played

I bought it when I was desperate for RPGs I hadn't played, and honestly there's things to enjoy here and there but I can never bring myself to finish it

haskellCasket

Barely Literate
hey, does anyone still have the prototypes/betas* lying around? lost em and can't find them online anymore.
especially betas 0.1.1 and 0.1.2

ind33d

Educated
Well i finished Disco Elysium long time ago and i wanted to check this infamous meme with my own eyes
Numa Numa makes Disco look like an Umineko mod

Numenera's only problems are that the last third of the game is missing and they didn't have the balls to license AD&D

Incidentally, can you even make a licensed AD&D game anymore? I somehow doubt Hasbro/WOTC lets you make products based on earlier versions of the rules

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Numenera's only problems are that the last third of the game is missing and they didn't have the balls to license AD&D

Incidentally, can you even make a licensed AD&D game anymore? I somehow doubt Hasbro/WOTC lets you make products based on earlier versions of the rules
You can, but as I recall, they specifically didn't want to license anything to Fargo (still holding a grudge over what happened a few decades ago with Interplay)

I read that WOTC wants every D&D product to use the game edition that's available at the time of its development and release. So if anyone made a D&D game now, it would have to use 5th ed. So this would be the reason why Siege of Dragonspear had to be a DLC and not a full standalone game as Beamdog intended.

ind33d

Educated
Imagine only liking Planescape because the 1E D&D ruleset is a masterpiece of game design :lol:

*2E
Better than the system that was in the game in the end..
Cypher System is retarded and makes the game even easier than it should be. Still, it's not like Numenera was ever going to be challenging, considering you can literally start the game with full telepathy

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Imagine only liking Planescape because the 1E D&D ruleset is a masterpiece of game design :lol:

*2E
Better than the system that was in the game in the end..
Cypher System is retarded and makes the game even easier than it should be. Still, it's not like Numenera was ever going to be challenging, considering you can literally start the game with full telepathy

Challenging or not, I dreaded every single "Crisis" encounter in ToN. I never had this problem in Torment, yes it could be a bit mindless at times but atleast it was quickly over.

almondblight

Arcane
i looked at kickastarter page, where those 4 million dollars went (Pillars got less but it still had decent length), where places like this went:

You can see some of it in the updates. They don't enter "full production" until a year and a half after the Kickstarter ended (which was supposed to be the original release date). But "full production" wasn't even full production - this is from an update that's more than two years after the Kickstarter ended:

We were still ramping up new team members who came over from Wasteland 2 and we wanted to keep the team more focused to speed things up.

Then right after they finally get a team to work on the game, they kicked the director off the project.

agris

Arcane
Patron
hey, does anyone still have the prototypes/betas* lying around? lost em and can't find them online anymore.
especially betas 0.1.1 and 0.1.2

lucky for you, it looks like inXile converted the beta public steam key into their full win retail release.

In the public/win depot, SteamDB has manifests going back to 24 Jan 2016. https://steamdb.info/depot/272271/manifests/

A quick search shows that it entered public beta around 26 Jan 2016, and v1.0 was released Feb 2017. There's a lot of manifests between those dates that, if you have a regular Numanuma steam key, you can download any of those old versions via steam's console.

here's a decent guide on doing that: https://old.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/611h5e/guide_how_to_download_older_versions_of_a_game_on/

I've done this for other games. Just make sure you turn automatic updates off for the game, or it'll re-download the current version after the manifests are downloaded. Also, download_depot is kind of slow. It won't show you progress, but will let you know when the download has completed.

Modron

Arcane
I've done this for other games. Just make sure you turn automatic updates off for the game, or it'll re-download the current version after the manifests are downloaded. Also, download_depot is kind of slow. It won't show you progress, but will let you know when the download has completed.
Didn't they do away with you being able to disable updating a few years ago? The best you can do these days is to set steam to only update when you launch a game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Didn't they do away with you being able to disable updating a few years ago? The best you can do these days is to set steam to only update when you launch a game.
Yeah, but that's good enough. When you set it to only update on launch, it will only download a new update if one is pushed - it doesn't do a file compare with whatever you have locally and what is on steam's servers. at least, that was my experience doing version archaeology for other games.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If this works, you can then remove Steam DRM using Steamless, it's on github. Then it becomes a portable game. Move it to another directory and Steam won't update it.

ColonelMace

Novice
So after a 4th and finally succesful attempt at getting into this game, I must say now that I'm closing the first act in Sagus Cliffs that I'm rather pleasantly surprised with it.
It's clearly not on par with PS:T, unsurprisingly, but it's not as lacking as I figured.
It's quite verbose but not that poorly written. There are a couple tidbits here and there that I found pretty good, especially the bit at the Fifth Eye bar.
Companions are pretty meh so far though.

And ffs what a mundane yet dramatically sabotaging design choice they went for at the beginning... To immediately tell the player where to go was such a moronic decision.
Letting us investigate the city by ourselves to find a way to repair the whatever-thingie (i'm playing a localised version) would have made the hook a thousand times better, with no effort needed.

Anyway, the game's okay.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Of course it's ok for such a reading simulator game, but could be way much than that.

Hellion

Arcane
Sagus Cliffs is one of the better-designed areas of the game because it was part of the Backer Beta so they front-loaded the game on purpose. Just wait till you move further ahead.

The problem with Numenera was also the stuff that's not on the game, but was supposed to. The kickstarter was a mess of embarassing proportions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom