Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Kind of annoying that they don't even try to keep it similar but weaker. They could have just as easily made the +3 hero cap trait not stack. +15% experience gain for heroes in the same army, wtf lmao. Half of the defeat traits do nothing.

Also they absolutely raped Vlad for some unknowable reason. Empire babies crying that he was hard to hit in melee? You have fucking guns, he dies in seconds!

Seethe

Arbiter
Legend's new leak, grain of salt and all that:

First DLC: Lords of Shanyang

• 2 Cathay LLs, generic lords and heroes for each, 7 units
  • a Cathayan Ogre with cathayan ogre units (all units appear to be OC)
  • a Cathayan Tigerman with tigerman units
  • Golgfag Maneater FLC
Second DLC: Dogs of War

• Borgio and Lucrezzia LLs, Mydas the Mean LH
  • the race only has 9 regular units (???) including halfling hotpots, a bunch of RoR from the DoW army book, and they can recruit units from other races as well
  • Dechala as Slaanesh FLC
Third DLC: Monkey King

• 2 Cathayan Monkey LLs (LMAO?), a Cathayan Monkey LH, monkey units
  • Li Dao FLC

What a huge pile of shit

The motivation for this leak was the planned Cathay content (too much!) and CA not learning from their 3K mistake ("DLCs don't sell in China").
Leakers want to pressure CA into changing course before it is too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPwEBX18ySk

Let me guess. This guy and his fanboys now believe that they successfully made CA "change their course" after the leaks were proven to be bullshit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is severely unbalanced in your favor even with disabled defeat traits, leadership modifiers and red line skills. At most, you can get a challenge in the first 10 turns, but that's it. I honestly don't know how Legend can play this game every day for 8 hours and not be bored out of his mind due to how easy and trivial it is. I'm sure he knows this, so complaining about nerfs to clearly bonkers broken shit in an already broken game smells of crowd pleasing more than anything else.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Legend is trapped in a situation of his own making. TW is what his fans want, regardless of how bad it is. He could easily try something else but that's not where the money is.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
lmao they not only nerfed Vlad, they fucked Malus too because now he causes Slaanesh Corruption and lost his ward save.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched youtube video of this, and since when this game got respec for lords?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched youtube video of this, and since when this game got respec for lords?
Around a year ago, mostly because one time respec mod was super popular and people were crying about it all over the reddits and other sites.
I'm so happy they didn't crack TW3 and I can still play the version when it was a game instead of a money making tool.

I'm quite glad when I manage to jump trough immense pain to get Vlad joining Manfred, only to see AI having it's own idea about his skills. But, it's still Vlad who is kickass in spite of what AI did, and it makes the playthrough unique.

Now, when CA listened to it's CUSTOMERS, we have like zero consequences of previous decisions, and we can use quite useful feature of using forced marsh, then respec leader, and then attack with newly appointed leader.

Oh dear, all CA did since they made TW Warhammer was to teach AI how to abuse glitches in systems, and put in cosmetic/irrelevant stuff to appease customers.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
One thing I like about all Warhammer total wars is how recruitment times are super important. Other games one two three turens are mostly the same. But due to everyfactions being constantly on a siege mode two turns is huge and three is eternity.

9ted6

Educated
The biggest problem that none of these little patches fix is that every single faction plays the same. Every campaign is the same, the tactics are the same and you ultimately build your lords the same way. There could be 500 factions with 50k units each and it wouldn't matter if they all boil down to a pile of grey ooze like now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The biggest difference in faction playstyle is whether they have ranged units or not. That's it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course with this amount of factions in the same game you'll have similarities, partly strong ones. .... duh.

But you guys are delirious if you wanna tell me that Slaanesh and Nurgle (two melee-only + little artillery kinda) or Vampire Coast and Wood Elves (two ranged focused) all play the same. Not even talking about differences in campaign gameplay.
Or you are comparing late game armies without army unit caps (really by far the best way to play the game) to each other.
Or you've never played the game, I'd accept that too.

Not sure what you are expecting, honestly.
That all of 20+ factions play as uniquely as Protoss/TerransZerg? :lol:

Instead of constantly bitching around you should be happy this isn't another "historical" game where every faction actually plays and looks the same.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Gladius has 12 factions and all play differently, so it's possible. CA just didn't bother to implement even a smidgen of the lore. Where's the Greenskin ability to cast magic from the energy of battle or the fact they reproduce via mushroom spores? All types of corruption are essentially the same and are just the culture mechanic from other TWs. It's not a Warhammer game, it's a lame Total War with a Warhammer skin. Unit caps do less than one would expect because you've already won by the time they kick in anyway. There's only 1 unit cap mod that places caps on tier 1 units and it's not a hard cap on top of that.

9ted6

Educated
Of course with this amount of factions in the same game you'll have similarities, partly strong ones. .... duh.

But you guys are delirious if you wanna tell me that Slaanesh and Nurgle (two melee-only + little artillery kinda) or Vampire Coast and Wood Elves (two ranged focused) all play the same.
Slaanesh and Nurgle: tarpit enemy, swarm flanks, rout and repeat.
Vampire Coast and Wood Elves: melee chaff in front, gun lines behind, rout and repeat.

Slaanesh doesn't have a tarpit, at least until the lategame where they finally get some armored infantry. Before then you have to time contact to confuse the enemies with which way to face while you flank, or use the magic wind spells to knock spearmen on their ass while running in. Slaanesh is pretty unique though, no other factions are nearly as glass cannon-y. On the other hand Nurgle pretty much only has tarpits, you just spam SEMs and nuke/heal with magic. It's pretty comparable to Lizardmen I guess?

Vamp coast has guns and wood elves has bows, they are pretty different.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Slaanesh and Nurgle: tarpit enemy, swarm flanks, rout and repeat.
Vampire Coast and Wood Elves: melee chaff in front, gun lines behind, rout and repeat.
With such an overly generalized statement, you are really just arguing that a game with RTS battles plays like a game with RTS battles.
Or that a Total War game plays like a Total War game.
Congratulations, you've discovered a genre.

You are also entirely wrong about that playstyle with Wood Elves - I mean, I guess you could play like that, but why gimp yourself and then claim it's the game's fault?

Generally, at this point in the game's lifecycle almost every faction has access to so many different units that yes, you can play every faction more or less the same.
But A) that's your choice to make the same army composition each time, don't put it on the game and B) some factions will be drastically better at one playstyle than another.

I honestly don't know how you'd expect a game called Total War: Warhammer 3 to play that would be drastically different from the game that is there.

Gladius has 12 factions and all play differently, so it's possible.
You have to be shitting me.
That's a turn-based game, with entirely different scale, gameplay, setting, requirements for putting in new things and drastically lower production values. Turn-based strategy is swarming the market for a reason - it's significantly easier to implement than its realtime cousin.
Of course it can go further in gameplay diversity between factions.
You are comparing apples and beef steaks.

I mean, criticize away, the game has more than enough points to do it with, but in a way that makes sense and isn't just shitting your pants in blind anger.

Unit caps do less than one would expect because you've already won by the time they kick in anyway.
Uhm... What? Army unit caps (at least the ones in SFO and that mod that does the same thing for vanilla) give you unlimited green, 10 blue, 5 purple slots. Some units require two slots.
I've maxed out blue in armies in turn 20-30 and faced similarly tiered armies. I don't know about you, but I haven't won the game by that time :lol:
Nor have I won the game by the time I can get all purple slots filled in armies (though that's closer, of course). Even fully maxed out, you'll still have about 1/3rd filled with low tier units - unless you cheese with hero stacking.
Even late game, it makes doom stacks basically impossible (or absurdly impractical) and evens the playing field a lot.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The basic tier 1 units are enough to win the game, unit caps don't tackle that because you can have an unlimited amount. If you haven't won the game by turn 15 with the vast majority of factions, you are doing something wrong.

I don't know about you guys but I load up on turn 1, look around, realize I'm the human and no AI could possibly beat me, and immediately claim victory

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom