Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems you should all be playing Troubleshooter
I bought it earlier today, but there's a horrible screeching sound all the freaking time that gets worse
That's anime dialogue, it's an acquired taste.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How does the environment come into play?

1. You can turn off the lights in some missions. This reduces visibility and ranged hit chance obviously.
But if you then use a flash-bang grenade in darkness, the enemies will get not just blinded but also confused (attacking random targets).

2. There are a lot of exploadable objects. In some places, like gas stations, it can lead to whole chain reactions.
Flaming spoon cultist have a buff that makes their corpses explode, this can be used very creatively.

3. An explosion pushes aside everyone within 3 squares. If a character is pushed against a solid object or another character, he is stunned.

4. There's some interaction between elements.
Like hitting someone standing in water with lightning damage would additionally shock him; or ice damage putting out fires.

5. There's both cover (half-cover, full-cover) and concealment from bushes and smoke.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How does the environment come into play?

1. You can turn off the lights in some missions. This reduces visibility and ranged hit chance obviously.
But if you then use a flash-bang grenade in darkness, the enemies will get not just blinded but also confused (attacking random targets).

2. There are a lot of exploadable objects. In some places, like gas stations, it can lead to whole chain reactions.
Flaming spoon cultist have a buff that makes their corpses explode, this can be used very creatively.

3. An explosion pushes aside everyone within 3 squares. If a character is pushed against a solid object or another character, he is stunned.

4. There's some interaction between elements.
Like hitting someone standing in water with lightning damage would additionally shock him; or ice damage putting out fires.

5. There's both cover (half-cover, full-cover) and concealment from bushes and smoke.
That's some cool ideas.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just finished the tutorial and I'm enjoying it so far. It's basically Korean XCom. Hearing these Koreans voices come out of the Japanese anime characters is a little weird but I can deal with it. English voices would have been nice but it looks like this is the first game from a small studio so what they've managed is already pretty impressive. The characters seem to have a lot of personality and I really like that. The super fat guy getting winded in the tutorial makes me chuckle.

Zyondyne

Learned
Honestly, while playing the game I was thinking how this game could be made to look like a 3D Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor sequel with just a few modifications.

Now I kinda want this...

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

PrettyDeadman

Honestly, while playing the game I was thinking how this game could be made to look like a 3D Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor sequel with just a few modifications.

Now I kinda want this...

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]
This game actually has adequate combat system unlike smt.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why would you chose to play a crappier rehashed version of already crappy nuxcom instead of playing fresh and inclined tactical rpg instead?
That doesn't make any sense.
So it's good? Is it really 300 hours long?

I'm 17 hours in and I feel like I'm just getting to grips with the systems and character development now. It's definitely the sort of game that you can sink a LOT of hours into. I've spent the day running around the more open area that becomes available after you get your third member and there's quite a lot of quests for traders and extra missions you can do that advance your chars and company. If you outlevel them there's an option to scale them up to your higher chars level. Every trader has a reputation system as well, no idea what it unlocks at higher levels though. Bumped the animation speed up to the fastest and combat fair zips along. It's slightly bizarre the open area has a different control scheme from the missions, (left click to move, right click and hold to move camera instead of right-click to move and Q/E to rotate camera) but I've got used to it.

The char building and combat is top-notch for this sort of game, that's the real draw. There's loads of masteries, different classes, abilities and equipment that really give you the option to tailor your chars how you want. You have to look past the rather unnatural speech and text. They didn't do a bad job seeing as none of the developers speak English naturally, but it's not the high point imo.

I played Fell Seal a while ago and I enjoyed it, but there seems a lot more to this game from what I see so far.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, so there is one thing that's really annoying me about this; the damn NA server they're using. I've just had a hard crash after a mission when using the weapon vendor when it just hung on completing a sale and I had to alt+F4. It'd been getting slower and slower when accessing the mastery boards so I knew something was up. It's either the server or a big memory leak, but I'd only been playing for two missions, probably about 90 mins. It wa still laggy after rebooting and logging in to check it'd saved so I'm pretty sure it's the server. (It had saved ok though so there's something.)

Makes me regret starting online tbh.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Ok, so there is one thing that's really annoying me about this; the damn NA server they're using. I've just had a hard crash after a mission when using the weapon vendor when it just hung on completing a sale and I had to alt+F4. It'd been getting slower and slower when accessing the mastery boards so I knew something was up. It's either the server or a big memory leak, but I'd only been playing for two missions, probably about 90 mins. It wa still laggy after rebooting and logging in to check it'd saved so I'm pretty sure it's the server. (It had saved ok though so there's something.)

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned his local save getting corrupted several times.
So online play is definitely safer this way, even though there is no EU server.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
My local save got corrupted too. Really sad because I was enjoying the shit out of this game. I'll have to wait for a few patches before I give it another shot.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
They really need to get that saving issue sorted, because how this game handles saves is brilliant for a tactics game. It saves all the time, but there's no 'reload' button. Live with your mistakes is the name of the game here and I love it. Being a weak-willed perfectionist, it's rare I can resist reloading if I turn out to have made a tactical error that results in a party wipe, but here I have no choice! It adds so much to the game. Yes, I know there's probably loads of people scoffing and saying that's how all tactics games should be played, but if you've got a reload button it's always there, tempting you with the promise of a better result. The genius is there's still checkpoints in missions, so if you do fail completely, (as I did once when I got cocky and rushed in with Albus only to get completely raped by a group of 5 hanging around just off screen) then you can choose to replay from the last checkpoint for the loss of some morale. Otherwise you can quit at any time and continue right where you left off.

It makes you think harder and make less risky moves, but doesn't punish you to the point of frustration if it does all go wrong. Priorities can change mid-mission as well, so you might be moving along very carefully then suddenly have to hustle over to a point to stop enemies escaping or access an interactable before a timer runs down. I've not failed any of them yet so don't worry that the limits are too tight; so far they seem to have balanced them well.

Up to 4 chars and lvl 25 on my team, just started levelling their third class for the masteries. Not had this much fun with a tactics game in a loooong time.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Without going into my timeworn theories on how a save system should be designed, I'll just say what I'm hearing about Troubleshooter's system sounds incline.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
They really need to get that saving issue sorted, because how this game handles saves is brilliant for a tactics game. It saves all the time, but there's no 'reload' button. Live with your mistakes is the name of the game here and I love it. Being a weak-willed perfectionist, it's rare I can resist reloading if I turn out to have made a tactical error that results in a party wipe, but here I have no choice! It adds so much to the game. Yes, I know there's probably loads of people scoffing and saying that's how all tactics games should be played, but if you've got a reload button it's always there, tempting you with the promise of a better result. The genius is there's still checkpoints in missions, so if you do fail complete

Yeah, I can relate. The save system works perfectly 99% of the time.
There's a mission, where you have to locate and evacuate 3 police squads, 10 people in total.
If you go in blind, like I did, there's a big nasty surprise for you, turning the mission into "saving private Ryan went wrong".
That 1% happened when I decided to go in the 2nd time and do it properly without loosing any of the policemen.

And of course the checkpoint saved right before one of the police officers got gunned down by an arrived enemy patrol, with me unable to prevent it no matter what I do from that checkpoint.
So all I could do is play it though till the end (which I already did before) - like good 40 minutes; or just abandon the mission and start it anew.
This time sink could have been avoided If only I played better could reload to an earlier checkpoint, but I could not and thus this is the only failed case I have atm:

PU1lgbJ.jpg

I got it right next time though. )

Luka-boy

Arcane
So I finally managed to fix the horrible screeching noises that prevented me from playing the game properly by switching to an older Proton version and decided to play for a couple of hours to finally find out if it's as cool as it looks. That was at 4PM.

I just stopped playing and it's 3AM.
:despair:
I guess that's why this game has an option to enable a clock in the corner of the screen like some 4X games.

Modron

Arcane
I wish every game had a clock in them so i didn't have to mount a digital wallclock behind/next to the pc monitor.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is really really good. Incredible what a small Korean team managed to create. I hope it gets recognised so that they get money to make more games. And maybe hire some real translators next time too :P

Jinn

Arcane
Just wanted to pop in and say that I actually live in North America and haven't had a single problem with the save server there yet. Haven't tried using offline saves at all, but just wanted to post this so anyone who was wary can see it. This is after ~20 hours of play.

Game is glorious and it's a damn shame so many people around here are going to avoid it because of the aesthetic.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Just wanted to pop in and say that I actually live in North America and haven't had a single problem with the save server there yet. Haven't tried using offline saves at all, but just wanted to post this so anyone who was wary can see it. This is after ~20 hours of play.

Game is glorious and it's a damn shame so many people around here are going to avoid it because of the aesthetic.
Btw I'm in Europe and don't have any problems with the NA server so far

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is this game online-first? They talk about supporting offline mode, but from the description it feels like online mode is the core experience.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Is this game online-first? They talk about supporting offline mode, but from the description it feels like online mode is the core experience.
Using the online mode is how it is "supposed to be". It offers continuous saving in the "cloud" and comparison with other players etc.
You see for example in every dialogue choice how many players picked which one etc
Nothing amazing but still fun I guess

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom