Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Played through some pretty retarded story missions jn ngl. Such as rescue all the civilians, but you can do it in 4 moves, or defeat all the animals in the park, but white tiger gang defeats all of them for you, and finally, fight mobs, but they're tiny and confined to walled spaces where they can't alert anyone. Well at least that last one had a cool twist with the berserk robot.

Also did a couple of violent cases. Now those were great. Having an active Javert quest adds a good twist, as he'll alert 2 or 3 mobs when you get close so you have to fight a fat wave of mooks. Didn't manage to catch him in the last one.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I've probably sunk over 100 hours into this game at this point and am gonna take a break. I'll write up my full thoughts when I finish the game - right now I'm up to S29, so about 60% through the non-DLC content. For now, a smaller review in the form of pros and cons.

Pros:

Even with the incredible set of tools at disposal, at the highest difficulty with all extra difficulty modifiers turned on, I have not managed to break the game outright (although for certain, mostly story, missions, my builds happened to be very OP) on a blind play through. In fact, a few missions, especially early on, but later also the violent cases, I needed to replay around 5 times before coming up with a winning strategy.

The character building system through mastery boards, classes and abilities goes well beyond just "numbers go up" (although, sadly, many are just "numbers go up", although the fundamentals of economization here aren't broken when playing with limits to growth), and actually greatly affect your tactical options in a meaningful way, at least when playing on the greatest possible difficulty (not so much below).

A very high decision to (single character, the game works like FFT) turn ratio i.e. good fundamental moment to moment tactical play, at least during the missions where your builds alone don't carry you across the line (there is a primitive satisfaction in those too, that doesn't wear thin because at least in my experience, I only achieved it a few times).

The writing is OK, and you can skip through everything anyway. I even got used to some of the initially very confusing explanatory text and now it just kind of makes sense to me? Did it break my brain? I don't know.

Cons

The art is very amateur from a purely technical stand point (as I have some knowledge of visual art, I can also tell the artists' (I suspect there's been a few artists involved, one is quite good, the others are quite bad) lack of ability is influencing their designs), and the art direction, while not entirely soulless, is sophist, at least to my tastes.

I find all the monster hunting stuff to be particularly distasteful, mobage, MMO cringe.

With the exception of maybe one or two tracks, the music has 0 personality. It's not something I'd listen to outside of playing the game.

The extremely tedious Diablo (or other Western ARPG or MMO) style loot system. You'd think if you played it with the challenge run rules I play with (never replay missions once you beat them, play new missions as soon as you get them from lowest level to highest, so as not to over level), it wouldn't get in the way. But it does. Oh it does.

In fact this last one is my greatest complaint, and it betrays the main problem with the game design overall which is that while the game presents a solid non deterministic tactics engine, and a good character building system to go along with it (i.e. nailing the fundamentals of an SRPG) it is sprayed with MMO mobage skinner box fecal matter (loot boxes, "drop rates", obvious affordances to "farming" and "hunting", among other garbage) and then painted over with a few well thought out difficulty options (although you still need to self impose a no replaying missions restriction, as there is no such modifier (pussy devs didn't want to upset 100% losers, I guess)) namely "limits to growth", and surprisingly all the HP bloat in challenge mode, cruel and high risk high reward being a good thing for once (as it averages out the RNG hell, making it so risk mitigation through modifying various probabilities with your builds is beyond simple gambling due to the number of dice rolls you'll be doing).

Conclusion

If you like tight, clean, thoughtful design, avoid. Or, actually, don't, because really, just a little tolerance goes a long way. For as horrible as the "outer loop" of the game design is, the core is quite good, and only a few self imposed restrictions are necessary on top of all the ones the devs gave you options for. In fact, even less than in some more tightly designed games.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Also in case devs are reading here (hey you never know), here's some things you can do that will push the players in the right direction, who will then push you in the right direction, to tighten the game:

1. Come up with a ranking formula that makes sense (why do I get perfects, even though I take losses?). Action time taken (less is better) and player characters out of action (again less is better) would be a decent start. I personally like the power and technique formulas used in Days of Ruin. Copy those.

2. Allow players to see and input the random seed used for enemy spawns when playing missions.

3. Allow players to temporarily down-level their characters (i.e. select their char level freely up to their achieved max level).

4. Add level requirements for masteries.

5. Now you can add leader boards for mission × seed × max character level e.g. I could see leader boards for 31V (seed 7832) @ level 35, and I can see e.g. that top score is 6774 or whatever completed in 1220 AT.

For simplicity, you could just turn the recommended level into a level cap e.g. you couldn't play 31V above level 31, that way you don't need to have a separate leader board for character level. You could also tailor the player experience better that way.

The data you'd get from this would be invaluable in terms of making really awesome maps for players.

But who am I kidding? Sound, competitive single player game design in 2022? Devs will probably just add some kind of doll crafting or whatever with 10 maps for hunting dolls for doll masteries and crafting ingredients or whatever instead

:negative:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
4. Add level requirements for masteries.
boo!
You'd have to otherwise someone who's at level 50 (and thus has access to high level content) or someone who spent hours "farming" some early story event with high level characters (e.g. the Don vs Marco fight, or Sion's day off mission with the Marco vs Carter fight etc.) would have high level masteries like Veteran and Iron Wall while other players wouldn't, and this would take away an element of uniqueness and standardization of non grindy play for low level leader boards.

Another side effect of adding level requirements is it would remove the above mentioned degenerate farming.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Aside from the level requirements for masteries it wouldn't affect casual play for mobile or gacha style skinner box enjoyers, so I don't see the big deal. Even that could simply be made into a difficulty modifier, like the excellent "limits to growth".

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The only changes I really would have made to the game would be to drop crafting entirely and most of the farming too. I don't mind having to replay story missions with different options for masteries too much, but I don't want to farm mats or craft. That's what kept me from going on to the dlc after I finished the main game.

Also I can't believe that you'd say the art and music are anything other than fantastic. Absolutely mind blowing to me.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
My biggest gripe after doing pretty much everything 100% (achievements + mastery sets and so on) is locking masteries behind pet taming + leveling em. It's very time consuming and boring (there is an option to unlock all masteries if u are doing offline playthrough).

I don't mind loot system too much you can finish the game with only crafted items easily (2-5 piece set combos are quite good especially golden set) and farming uniques is not too time consuming if u are using joint drills think my average ben team kill took like 2-3 minutes but that was pretty optimized (unless you are autistic and want specific item with specific bonus and 4-5 stars). Upgrading items to +9 on the other hand takes ridiculous amount of materials.

Lhynn

Arcane
Crafting is entirely unnecessary and works as a money sink. Your finances will be better if you dont crat, and your team will be stronger. Crafting is time consuming and you can just use that time to do another mission that will, in the end, give you a better reward for your time.

The more interesting part of looting is going after hidden unique gear. Every unique character probably has something that will offer a lot to one of the people in your team.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Crafting is entirely unnecessary
Until the DLC. I couldn't buy new weapons for my DLC characters and I didn't get any in the few missions I did. It seemed like crafting was the only option to upgrade their weapons unless I'm missing something.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah Kylie / Ray / Misty weapons have to be crafted (Misty comes with decent weapon though for rogue) and Alisa only has 1 weapon drop (quite sure there is not more) which is very late game

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This is the game with really good stacking dots and debuffs and stuff yeah? If only the theme/plot weren't so lame.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
lol at RPG players balking at the idea of challenge and competition in a game

Truly players themselves are the reason games are the way they are in 2022.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Crafting is entirely unnecessary
Until the DLC. I couldn't buy new weapons for my DLC characters and I didn't get any in the few missions I did. It seemed like crafting was the only option to upgrade their weapons unless I'm missing something.
yeah Kylie / Ray / Misty weapons have to be crafted (Misty comes with decent weapon though for rogue) and Alisa only has 1 weapon drop (quite sure there is not more) which is very late game
That's interesting. Glad I found out now.

Few options around that for players who hate farming, grinding etc. I can think of.

1. Simply don't use those characters
2. Simply play the game with their starting equipment.

Second option makes me think whether you could do that for the whole game - just never change equipment from what your characters begin with at all. On cruel with challenge mode and high risk high reward on, this would probably make for a very tedious game, as at a certain point almost all enemies would be one shotting you and you'd be doing negligible damage to them, so even if you were able to single them out to make the game possible at all, you'd still be mindlessly bashing them for 3 or 4 character turns for each character to take them out of action.

You have to keep cruel mode on for the AI changes, I'd imagine (unless someone can attest to the hard mode AI actually being better - it could be, greedy AI strategies aren't always optimal after all), but you could safely do away with high risk high reward, which is basically a "So you hate farming? Well here's the option for you, but we gotta tweak the difficulty a bit to compensate" feature and is redundant with the self imposed challenge of never changing from starting equipment. Challenge mode is mostly redundant with limits to growth, certainly for story, but also for other missions if you play with the self imposed rule of clearing all (lower level) non-story missions in level order before advancing the story, so perhaps this is another thing you can tweak to remove what would become painful HP bloat.

Ofc. you'd keep all other modifiers on. Mind body unity is a must unless you want to break the game with Heixing and Fetters of the Past and Paranoid are amazing.

My biggest gripe after doing pretty much everything 100% (achievements + mastery sets and so on) is locking masteries behind pet taming + leveling em. It's very time consuming and boring (there is an option to unlock all masteries if u are doing offline playthrough).
Unlocking all masteries is probably a good option for players who like maximum build variation and do not enjoy grind and farming. Alternatively you can just accept a bit of random extra challenge or lack of challenge on runs through the game "well I didn't get Veteran during S9, that locks me out of the good Martial Artist sets till S43, guess I'll play around it". If you're keeping AT time counts for missions (as I do) it makes more sense to switch that option on.

All this reminds me why I generally hate sand box with kitchen sink thrown in in game design, as is the case with Troubleshooter. You can maybe, if you try hard enough, salvage a good game using all the options and tools given and writing a laundry list of rules the developers didn't, but you'll probably be the only person playing that way, and you might find out 50 plus hours into a run the game is still broken in some way anyway. Then the question arises, why don't I play a game where the game designers actually did their work, I mean beyond the market necessity of making a skinner box for retarded people?

Edit: Jermu were you talking about the "A parallel world" option here? That's like a new game+ kind of thing, and you need to have a save file which already has the masteries unlocked, meaning you'd have to have done the grinding at least once. Or is there a different way? I was just about to start a new no new equipment or equipment upgrading run too to test out my theories.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
[Notice] Contents Update and System Maintenance Announcement
0ae09f019edac440ce7ead41530d5407418df3f0.jpg

Hello everyone, this is the Troubleshooter development team.

Thanks to your support and encouragement, we were able to continue developing troubleshooter this year.

Our development skills are still lacking and we make mistakes frequently. Nevertheless, we sincerely thank you for always supporting these development teams.

We thought we had prepared a lot of things, but after writing down the notice, we realized that there was not much content, and we are sorry to you.

We will do our best to include more in the new year's update!

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

We beg to inform you that the game contents update and system maintenance.

• During the maintenance, players who use the Online mode can't play the game.
  • Please end the game normally before the maintenance begins.
  • During the maintenance, players who use the Offline mode can play the game.

Maintenance Schedule
  • Daylight saving time is not applied.
  • Date: December 23th, 2022
  • Friday 12:00 ~ 14:00 CET
  • Friday 20:00 ~ 22:00 JST
  • Friday 03:00 ~ 05:00 PST
  • Friday 11:00 ~ 13:00 UTC

Update Details:
  • Added a new scenario mission 'Got a Clue - Angry Barrel Street'.
  • Added an additional difficulty setting 'Records of Ancestors'.
    • A beast that has individual mastery will have random individual mastery.
    • Gaining an enemy information to the beast type will be increased by 100%.
  • Added a new potion: Catharsis Potion
  • Added a new Chain Effect: Electric Leakage

Added new masteries:
ee83c0a21a6f9b4259e3b96d974d4d8b04b58ee8.png

293b72e8c588c933312d4b7afbc5fa54358e694e.png

2ef564f1f9a3383921508cc42b7e50ad8989687d.png

f5e8e58578a715cdc2cf6bd8c650b5003a463696.png

2244a1520ce67336037c5d890dbe0e5ecfbc4bab.png

f679475bbcb5349ec9b1a521f52f6c3442a91412.png

3701da8be7703bd3c9ffa4b6c5f1c7ae2e10d68f.png

6c4e1ccf02932c2c7dc1cc7ad6a6439e6fba7a46.png

343d8db90c72d7dbce690a5102d2ccffded4b891.png

f282485bb882df816584fbb80a7b623c00312075.png

306a4a754740aac496ab85ba7a4da7a4d8a3420d.png

• Changed the max level cap up to 57.
  • Changed the masteries:
    c4763dae614883ebda0da72174baffd84c3433f7.png

a6ab063065cff14e399b305c97ff48a15bab535c.png

dbe2170b19baf82c21270521e2ea9400613b8476.png

4e64a0bcaff3546e0d4dd2862a49fd2c31a2499e.png

• Changed the total slot count
    • Changed the total slot clount of 1st classes from 17 to 18.
    • Changed the total slot clount of 2nd classes from 23 to 25.
    • Classes that of machines are not applicable.
  • Changed the activation condition of Chain Effect: Slip Off from 'knock back 3 more tiles' to 'knock back'.
  • Changed the Junk shop to sell Training Manual and Blue Prints.
  • Changed the function that a beast summoned by enemy denies player's taming when the beast starts their turn and their summoner is in their line of sight is applied only on a beast with the 'Loyal' grade loyalty.
  • Changed the extraction scene for Psy-Stone to be skipped by pressing ESC.
  • Changed the individual mastery of enemy unit Kevin.
  • Changed the appearance of some pistols.

• Fixed a bug that the Unstable Chemical Concoction status was not displayed in a specific condition.
  • Fixed a bug where the level of some quests and the recommended level of missions did not match.
  • Fixed a bug that a description for the Public Safety Lv.5 was wrong.

Thank you.

MORE ABOUT THIS GAME

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
One update that isn't apologetic, that's all I ask.
"We are sorry, but we must respectfully decline your request. We beg you to please understand, but if you cannot, it's just that we lack the eloquence to convince you. The communications manager has ritually disemboweled himself in the bathroom to atone for his shame."

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just want them to release a new game instead. Even with just the same asset and shit. Just a new campaign with existing system.

I would gladly spend money on it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finished the white tiger violent case. came in level 32-33 came out level 34-35 ish. that was pretty intense with the bosses swarming into my location one after another

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom