Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've been using Grid Cartographer to map the area around the cave tunnel exit and it's working great for me so far. I can add notes, mark NPCs, keep track of blocked entrances, etc.

The screenshot below has very minor spoilers regarding the map layout for the first quest.

To orient the map, I just used the upper-right corner as north, just as the in-game compass does.

generator_map_zps6gkipcdr.jpg

Of course, I used the retro VDU theme, in keeping with UnderRail's text style :smug:

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is the "Expertise" feat a noob trap? Adds damage equal to your level? It seems like a great feat to boost damage for a low strength 4 super fast fist-spam psi build I'm doing.

I'll just leave these here.

Whenever a single attack deals multiple discrete numbers of mechanical damage (such as burst or spiked combat gloves), Expertise applies to each of them.

Full-Auto is a feat. It improves the Burst attack of SMGs and assault rifles.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
After first mission I have zero health (cause you start with no armor now), no gun, inventory full of loot none wants to buy from me and hence almost no money to buy new one or more stimpacks
You can visit the doctor, he'll patch you up.
And you should have picked up that item that allows you to repair your gun, or you can just buy it. I had 3 in my inventory after the first mission I think.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Gonna go as either a knife or a unarmed dude, both seem fun. Should i get psi or not? the penalty seems harsh and i got will 3 and 0 on the psi skills either way.

I'm going Psi-Unarmed and I'm just cutting through stuff. I've got a max Dex, Will, high Int build and it is just slicing through.

Same.

It seems PSI was nerfed, but it's stull super fucking strong. Just plowing through.
Yeah but i want to play him low will, is it still worth it? Or is the 25% loss of life too much?

I wouldn't play a PSI character with less than 10 will, so no :) But I'm playing on hard. Honestly the 25 % life is not that big of a deal.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is the "Expertise" feat a noob trap? Adds damage equal to your level? It seems like a great feat to boost damage for a low strength 4 super fast fist-spam psi build I'm doing.

Nah, it's good. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that it adds damage to Laser weapons like I did, though.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Excellent game so far. A fair warning though: there seems to be a crossbow related bug in the game which makes it crash randomly when using it. Done a search and multiple people (on the official and steam forums) are experiencing it. I'll probably just go to bed and roll a new character tomorrow. Was only a few hours in anyway. Unrelated question: is metal hard to come by? I have bought like 6 blueprints and haven't found any metal as of yet... am I doing something wrong?

Ah damn, just now i decided on an xbow build.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My Galvaric Riot Armor is at low durability but I can't use repair kit on it, cursor still shows an X instead of the image of pincers when I hover on the armor (I still can repair weapons fine), am I missing something here?

Nvm I'm an idiot, it needs patching kit, not repair kit.
My Galvaric Riot Armor is at low durability but I can't use repair kit on it, cursor still shows an X instead of the image of pincers when I hover on the armor (I still can repair weapons fine), am I missing something here?

You need fabric kit for armors and electronic kit for some electronical stuff.
Yeah I just realized that the repair kit can only be applied on metal armor :D

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pretty happy with my probably typical dude so far.

Melee, thrower and dodge/evasion/stealth with some mechanical, locks, electronics and some chemistry.

Feats so far are Nimble, Opportunist, Hit and Run, Crippling Strike. I am finding this combination for kniver quite 'satisfying'. In particular, stacked Crippling Strikes to incapacitate + Opportunist (25% bonus to incapacitated targets) + Hit and run allow me to get quite tactical with distribution of my several strikes per round. Very interesting.

No PSI whatsoever this time around.

Relying on crafting for income and upgrades. There is tons of stuff more appropriate to other builds you come across, just be sure to get the recycle recipe and convert your junk into cash through crafting.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

You need fabric kit for armors and electronic kit for some electronical stuff.

Tigranes

Arcane
Crossbow/Stealth all the way. I found it a lot more fiddly, and fun, than guns or psi.

But it's been a few months, are there key attribute thresholds / skill combinations people can remind me of / might have changed?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I just wanted to say this game is a masterpiece and God bless you for making this game. The only flaw is it should have had a three or four creatable party. The chargen and chardev are amazingly well done.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
But it's been a few months, are there key attribute thresholds / skill combinations people can remind me of / might have changed?

I can pretty well guarantee you you'll want a minimum of Perception 10 and Agility 8 (after leveling up a bit). Dexterity and Intelligence affect some relevant Crossbow feat prereqs, I think; check the "crossbow feats" search term/category in the Wiki. Most of the essential feats are self-evident. Other than that, I'm in the same boat. My last playthrough was stealth/crossbow, though.

Pure psi on Hard is pure suffering in the very beginning, let me tell you. My memory is foggy, but Styg seems to have cracked down hard on psi, maybe a little too hard. Using half your psi points to cast a single power (Telekinetic Punch, costs 50 points out of 100 max) is a bit much.

I've played through Early Access for hundreds of hours, am generally good at RPGs, and it's tough on me. I can't imagine how it is on a beginner, even playing on Normal.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
10 dex, 10 will, 8 int, rest 3 build

Unarmed/full psi. Rekking everything in ma' path on hard. Git gud ;)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
10 dex, 10 will, 8 int, rest 3 build

Unarmed/full psi. Rekking everything in ma' path on hard. Git gud ;)

Hey dumbfuck, that isn't "pure psi." There is synergy between psi and unarmed, but psi/unarmed is still a psi/melee hybrid. Everyone who's played this game for any length of time knows that melee is by far the easiest way to breeze through the early stages of the game, especially if min-maxing.

Later on, when psi boosters, high-quality equipment and so on become readily available in great quantities, if anything, I expect psi will become one of the easier ways to play... but at the beginning, pure psi is tough, no doubt affected by the changes to psi meant to tone it down at levels 8-30.

Inf0mercial

Augur
The high psi cost i have found isn't so much as hurting my hybrid as making it slower between fights, normally i stealth into a room check positions maybe wait a few seconds for a patrol then i would throw a wall to block some enemies and kinetic fist one and electro another, suddenly half the room is blocked off and most of the enemies on my side are stunned, then i clear and wait for wall to drop then kill the rest and continue on, while i can still do this now i have to stop and loiter around for 10 -15 or so seconds while psi recharges as this sequence now leaves me with 0 psi or there abouts.

Although having to save psi points has led me to an amusing new strategy i have found myself mass buying molotov cocktails lighting the room on fire then blocking either the exit or the enemy within blocks of fire, the fight at the bottom of the GMS was laughable as everyone but one person went to fear and died in the fire, stocking up on materials to make them so when i dip into chemistry for 20 points i can make like 50 and go light everything in that city fight on fire.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The world is not ready for such incline. Let Stygian studios gather millions of fans before unleashing the party based underrail sequel.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I'm playing as a pure psi on hard with 10 Will, 9 Int and 9 Con and I experience zero problems. Level 6 atm, my first feats are Conditioning, Paranoia, Doctor (wanna save Cliff, lol, though 25% from stimpacks also helps), Tranquility (2x phsychokinesis per turn is golden), Psychostatic Electricity (my character is called Emperor, btw).

As long as you position yourself correctly at the beginning of the combat, it isn't that much of a problem to control everyone. And once they're controlled, killing them isn't that big of a deal. Also, I've crafted an Azuridae ballistic vest ASAP and it totally helps - -10% psi-costs and a whopping +12 bonus to all the skills, that's really good.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Hey, what's the chance of a hud scale option? I use 1920x1080 resolution on a laptop screen and I'm really having trouble with just how small the font and icons are.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just use a lower resolution, I am playing on 1440x900 on a 1920x1200 monitor.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm playing as a pure psi on hard with 10 Will, 9 Int and 9 Con and I experience zero problems. Level 6 atm, my first feats are Conditioning, Paranoia, Doctor (wanna save Cliff, lol, though 25% from stimpacks also helps), Tranquility (2x phsychokinesis per turn is golden), Psychostatic Electricity (my character is called Emperor, btw).

As long as you position yourself correctly at the beginning of the combat, it isn't that much of a problem to control everyone. And once they're controlled, killing them isn't that big of a deal. Also, I've crafted an Azuridae ballistic vest ASAP and it totally helps - -10% psi-costs and a whopping +12 bonus to all the skills, that's really good.

:roll:

As usual, we aren't allowed to discuss anything about the difficulty curve of a game without the fucking useless braggarts popping out of the woodwork to proclaim how easy the game is for them on the hardest difficulty setting.

I think I define "tough" differently than most people. Setting aside the fact that my character isn't ludicrously min-maxed, by the time I reached level 6 I hadn't died, hadn't needed to reload, and had used a bare minimum of consumables. Go me! Holy fuck, wow, aren't I great? However, unlike the combat I enjoyed during my previous 300+ hours playing Underrail (including a complete crossbows playthrough, which was at times frustrating), rather than being challenging and engaging, I've found pure psi in the very beginning to be flat-out obnoxious. It's not challenging per se, because actually they're just rathounds, psi beetles, the odd Lurker and so on, and I have a lot of experience with the game.

Also, I see from your post history that you've been playing this game since at least 2012. This is not the same game for you and me as it is for someone playing for the first time, and I'm not just talking about Bethestards. We presumably know the mechanics and the enemies backwards and forwards. Carrying on about how easy the game is for us is just stupid in that context.

My bad though, I'm just complaining. Of course, the last time I complained about a game mechanic (crossbows), Styg appeared shortly thereafter and agreed with many of my points, so it could be that my complaints occasionally have merit. Nah, that's just not possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom