Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Finally installed the game now that it's out. I played it a long time ago and enjoyed the whole Avernum meets Fallout vibe. Been managing to avoid too many spoilers about plot, systems and so on but now do find myself with one question. Oddities or traditional xp? The oddities system draws me as I enjoy the novelty of it. Not to mention that I really enjoy exploration. Then again, is it balanced enough?

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Even if I add all the station currency first and then auto-add the rest, it'll remove it and just add stygian coins. Nothing big but kind of annyoing.
Yeah, agree.

Also, for anyone who confused a little about inventory managment, I have a few tips. Possibly it's not for glorious codexers, but from those who coming from google.
First, you don't need to sell absolutely all. Yes, I hate it too if I left something somewhere on the floor, but believe me - items that cost less then 1000 SGS credits worth to lug around only in the very beginning of the game. For example I never ever sell usual knifes and sledgehammers (only crowbars that I can't recycle lol), these tends to cost less than 1000, their weight is huge - just recycle such crap, then just make repair kit from it - you can often sell it to merchants, it weighs negligible.
Later on you anyway start to recycle armour that cost 4000 credits hehe.
Recycle crap--->make repire kits--->get rich!
How do you disassemble stuff?

Blueprints to recycle items

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played 5-6 hours. The game is magnificent but the resolutions are a serious issue. Anything more than 1280x768 is too small and 1280 is pretty pixely.
Other than that the game is really awesome, so many options and stats, my autism is going crazy :P

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Finally installed the game now that it's out. I played it a long time ago and enjoyed the whole Avernum meets Fallout vibe. Been managing to avoid too many spoilers about plot, systems and so on but now do find myself with one question. Oddities or traditional xp? The oddities system draws me as I enjoy the novelty of it. Not to mention that I really enjoy exploration. Then again, is it balanced enough?

Oddities is great, I've got zero complaints as a combatfag, and it's even better for stealthy talky types.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oddity is balanced as it is the system Styg himself regards as the default one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Even if I add all the station currency first and then auto-add the rest, it'll remove it and just add stygian coins. Nothing big but kind of annyoing.
Yeah, agree.

Also, for anyone who confused a little about inventory managment, I have a few tips. Possibly it's not for glorious codexers, but from those who coming from google.
First, you don't need to sell absolutely all. Yes, I hate it too if I left something somewhere on the floor, but believe me - items that cost less then 1000 SGS credits worth to lug around only in the very beginning of the game. For example I never ever sell usual knifes and sledgehammers (only crowbars that I can't recycle lol), these tends to cost less than 1000, their weight is huge - just recycle such crap, then just make repair kit from it - you can often sell it to merchants, it weighs negligible.
Later on you anyway start to recycle armour that cost 4000 credits hehe.
Recycle crap--->make repire kits--->get rich!
How do you disassemble stuff?

Blueprints to recycle items
I found/bought blueprints to craft items, are these recycle items blueprints something that shows up later?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My Pistol has broken after 100 shots? Are they made from plastic in Underail? And can I turn off this I will buy 2 lockpicks while selling lockpicks?
After first mission I have zero health (cause you start with no armor now), no gun, inventory full of loot none wants to buy from me and hence almost no money to buy new one or more stimpacks.

:5/5::5/5:/:5/5::5/5:

The :butthurt:of opamole:mases after this game will be even more Glorious than after Age of Decadence. :greatjob:
In Wasteland 2 at release, they'd jam after 2 or 3 shots even with 90%+ durability. The butthurt was amusing, as were the morons on the Dex trying to defend that stupid mechanic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I won't lie I am enjoying this more than Serpent in the Staglands. My dream game now would be if Styg made game/combat mechanics, SitS devs did world building and Stasis guy did art and environments.

epeli

Arcane
:roll:

As usual, we aren't allowed to discuss anything about the difficulty curve of a game without the fucking useless braggarts popping out of the woodwork to proclaim how easy the game is for them on the hardest difficulty setting.

I think I define "tough" differently than most people. Setting aside the fact that my character isn't ludicrously min-maxed, by the time I reached level 6 I hadn't died, hadn't needed to reload, and had used a bare minimum of consumables. Go me! Holy fuck, wow, aren't I great? However, unlike the combat I enjoyed during my previous 300+ hours playing Underrail (including a complete crossbows playthrough, which was at times frustrating), rather than being challenging and engaging, I've found pure psi in the very beginning to be flat-out obnoxious. It's not challenging per se, because actually they're just rathounds, psi beetles, the odd Lurker and so on, and I have a lot of experience with the game.

Also, I see from your post history that you've been playing this game since at least 2012. This is not the same game for you and me as it is for someone playing for the first time, and I'm not just talking about Bethestards. We presumably know the mechanics and the enemies backwards and forwards. Carrying on about how easy the game is for us is just stupid in that context.

My bad though, I'm just complaining. Of course, the last time I complained about a game mechanic (crossbows), Styg appeared shortly thereafter and agreed with many of my points, so it could be that my complaints occasionally have merit. Nah, that's just not possible.

Chill down a bit. I know psi got a lot of changes between alpha and release and I wasn't tasked with testing them so I can't speak with firsthand experience, but one of the devs playtested a pure psi character from start to finish. So the state of affairs for such characters should've gotten a thorough hands-on look and tweaking just before the release.

The weakness of crossbows was indeed a good point, but on the other hand it had already been discussed elsewhere and the devs were already planning to do something about it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Its not that bad since you get blueprint which allows you to convert loot into metal parts and second one which builds repair kits from those parts but RL guns (but not machine guns) can shoot from 10 000 to 30 000 bullets before you need to replace the barrel. But to be honest I have too much fun to complain since I got my first SMG... And seriously scale the resolution down to 1024X768 if the font is too small its not Twicher 3 or Skyrim so you don't need high res to oggle the pixalated butts watch the vistas or such. Graphic I love its simple but perfectly serviceable and could be dated 3D like in AoD or Wasteland 2 instead. :incline:

Raapys

Arcane
Has anyone figured out the new trader restock mechanic?

From what I can see, it's no longer possible to save/talk to trader/reload to get a new trader inventory after 90mins without visiting that trader.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
epeli
My point wasn't that I'm a rare genius who single-handedly realized that crossbows needed tweaking, but rather that I choose my criticisms very carefully. The only other (serious) gameplay criticism I voiced, many months before the bit about crossbows, was that the game's economy was out of control. That was later addressed with Super Steel—and again, I'm not claiming I played a key role in either noticing or addressing the problem.

Average number of discarded psi booster syringes after an average Underrail combat:

f3475ade62.png

(might be slightly exaggerated):troll:

Psi just feels way off to me pre-Junkyard, although I will admit it's very handy in certain situations where, say, a hammer guy would have a very stiff challenge early on (level 3 GMS, for example, which I was able to blow through like it was nothing). It seems to have become somewhat less obnoxious now that I'm stuck into Junkyard (and surrounds).

I think it's somewhat important that the very, very early game experience (for everyone, not just min-maxing grognards who've already been playing hundreds of hours... guess which category your testers probably fall into?) not be excessively obnoxious for the sake of making sure X or Y isn't "too OP" later.

ST'Ranger

Augur
I wanted to comment about the new difficulty mode, Hard. I've been playing the game since its name was changed in ~2012. I considered myself (before the post-elevator content, of course) an expert on the game's combat statistics and mechanics, item systems and availability, and the location of NPCs/quests/etc. - and I could no longer fathom getting lost wandering through the tunnels, something which I certainly remember having trouble with as a new player.

My initial run through is with a typical PER/AGI crossbow user, and I can say that Hard mode definitely makes the game more challenging. Opponents with high-caliber ammunition, sniper rifles, or crossbows are deadlier - that's just a simple fact of lower health running into the damage reduction system in the game. But additionally, it's not as easy to brute force some combats anymore by simply stimming one's way through the pain. The lower healing, higher incoming damage, and reduced frequency of healing availability make multi-opponent combat more about initiation, planning, and terrain manipulation (LOS, MP expenditure etc.). These are the greatest elements in the combat to me as a stealth fanatic, and I'm fiercely enjoying Hard mode as a result.

My one possible misgiving about the system is that it seems like it wouldn't be much harder than Normal with a typical heavy armor character. But I'll have to do another playthrough or two to make a real judgment. Another character I'm looking forward to is the PSICON who was as a god in the previous patch, effortlessly tearing through a certain large military installation. I'm eager to see how it was toned down, and how it interacts with Hard mode.

---------------------------------------------

Also, I've seen no one comment on the (entirely new) noise system. It seemed glorious at first, though after some tinkering it's definitely a bit too exploitable in some areas. It tremendously raises the importance of terrain manipulation and planning. It certainly seems to work in a completely logical manner - haven't found any strange inconsistency up to this point. Enemies call for help and are drawn to loud sounds like explosions - incredible. It seems to have some interaction with open/closed doors as well but further testing is required. Gives me a whole new appreciation for the amazing stealth mechanic in this game.

Happy to see Underrail come out swinging - picked up four more copies for :incline:.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
My one gripe: Ratdog sounds.

Third game this year I am forced to play with headphones on cause it drives my dog nuts.

Ignored this game until now, making first build(s). Does psi have uses out of combat? I don't want to spread too thin and my Scientist/Gunner/Psi/Lockpicker/Diplomat... feels too weak. I won't be taking psi for begginers if it's just another way of dealing damage, debuffing or incapacitating.
Can I read minds, Dominate, etc.?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ignored this game until now, making first build(s). Does psi have uses out of combat? I don't want to spread too thin and my Scientist/Gunner/Psi/Lockpicker/Diplomat... feels too weak. I won't be taking psi for begginers if it's just another way of dealing damage, debuffing or incapacitating.

You can max only 8 skills and frankly in this game Diplomat is worse than useless cause its always better option to kill those fags who dare to oppose your PC and take their loot than let them walk away... Even with oddities and quest XP only system.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I played it a long time ago and enjoyed the whole Avernum meets Fallout vibe.
Absolutely agree, I had gusebumps when I realized this.

Oddities or traditional xp?
Oddities dude, you'll thanks me for that later. )

Opponents with high-caliber ammunition, sniper rifles, or crossbows are deadlier - that's just a simple fact of lower health running into the damage reduction system in the game. But additionally, it's not as easy to brute force some combats anymore by simply stimming one's way through the pain. The lower healing, higher incoming damage, and reduced frequency of healing availability make multi-opponent combat more about initiation, planning, and terrain manipulation (LOS, MP expenditure etc.). These are the greatest elements in the combat to me as a stealth fanatic, and I'm fiercely enjoying Hard mode as a result.
:salute: You are right, it definitely changes tactics, e.g. I took Paranoia - I never did that before, and now think carefully what to do and where to go. )

My one gripe: Ratdog sounds.
Third game this year I am forced to play with headphones on cause it drives my dog nuts.
:D My dog too.

Also I noticed that there were added well, additional hidden caches for Perception checks.

Does psi have uses out of combat?

I have strong suspicion that it will open a lot more of game lore.

in this game Diplomat is worse than useless cause its always better option to kill those fags who dare to oppose your PC and take their loot than let them walk away...
How about burrowers? You can't got keycard without Persuasion (or you can?)

Last edited:

Antigoon

Augur
Cant play it until late Jan. Already counting the days to my personal release . well done Styg!

Last edited:

You can max only 8 skills and frankly in this game Diplomat is worse than useless cause its always better option to kill those fags who dare to oppose your PC and take their loot than let them walk away... Even with oddities and quest XP only system.

And how is diplomacy for getting hidden content? Like learning new stuff from dialogue? Just bluff?

But really does PSi have non-combat uses?

Zetor

Arcane
I found some animal pens, tried to capture some cats and dogs with them but always fail. Tried about 10 times, what is the trick with this? And what do you do with them?
I was able to capture them easily just by initiating combat when one of them was nearby, then using the animal carrier on them, no net (or stealth) required.

Not sure if exploit or "clever use of game mechanics"...

Cortex_Reaver

Novice
I found some animal pens, tried to capture some cats and dogs with them but always fail. Tried about 10 times, what is the trick with this? And what do you do with them?
I was able to capture them easily just by initiating combat when one of them was nearby, then using the animal carrier on them, no net (or stealth) required.

Not sure if exploit or "clever use of game mechanics"...

The game would not let me initiate combat when the hopper was already out or about to come out. Throwing the net however would initiate combat and allow me to get multiple hoppers.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also just want to ask - I have mouse lags, could it be because of old folders that remained after alfa?
If yeas what can I do to remove that? I belive I'll just back up saves, uninstall game, clean alll related folders, then reinstall, how do you think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom