Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember when Darklands abstracted cities so there'd be no pointless walking to and fro. :smug:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I doubt that was the motivation at the time, but way to leverage whatever you can find.

Sankarihauta

Prospernaut
This guy is sort of like Prosper with a fedora and a thesaurus.

if you redacted for a redacted or 3, maybe 5 redacted, and some complete redacted sets i'll bring new prosperity. so redacted redacted please. also i will need 1 years redacted. and for other projects i'd like an addition redacted per month.

edit: i'll redacted that never redacted mask.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Remember when Darklands abstracted cities so there'd be no pointless walking to and fro. :smug:
I actually like menu driven cities and shit better, allow for a lot more interaction via text.

Agreed. I often look on cities as some place I am going to have to spend hours looking at the same shit while I sweep it for XP and content. As a matter of fact that is often where I abandon a game because I just can't be fucking bothered to untangle the content in cities.

If the motivation in Darklands was truly to avoid all that shit then I stand corrected and sadly the wisdom of the forefathers has largely been lost in that respect.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This game would be un(re)playable for me without cheat engine. Using 2x speed as the norm, going to 5x-10x when you need to walk around safe areas. It could really use an AoD-style map for Core City and Institute. Also 50x for super steel whore Bernard and merchant respawns.

Once you try it you can't go back to snail pace.

I use Cheat Engine's 1.5x speedhack as default (exploration/combat) and 5x for navigating through safe areas. I operate the speedhack thingie with my mouse's thumb buttons (macros FTW!). Setting that up improved my Underrail experience by about 500%.

It's quite telling that you can increase the game's speed by no less than 50% and it doesn't look like everyone is running on crack. I feel like the default speed is some kind of elaborate troll. :roll:

I wholeheartedly recommend this solution to people who got annoyed (Darth Roxor?) with the many MANY ways Underrail wastes your time. The backtracking, the box opening progress bar, the trap disarming progress bar...everything is less painful when it wastes half a second instead of ten, IMO.

That and the font solution (check my sig) = 80% of the complaints ITT are solved. As for the KOOL-DOWNS, well...uninstalling Underrail AND Divinity: Original Sin solves all your CD-related grievances. :smug:

Srsly tho, If CDs annoy you THAT much, try playing a burst fire AR or SMG build with no stealth. Burst fire has no CD so the only CD you'll be dealing with will be medkit + grenade

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hellfire! The crowd is chanting Hellfire!

Well atleast it's better than Lead Fury.

I was called "Super Bomberman", just because I used a few grenades to clear the mobs.

What are other possible nicknames you can get?

I got Dakka Dakka for doing this:

more_dakka_by_dabunny1.jpg
tumblr_lfa6sf38Ck1qfo50do1_500.jpg

You can't have enough of Dakka +Mbut dropped assault riffle at the end for Chemical Pistol/Imapala combo; much more lead this way with Dex 10 and Special Force combo +Quick Fire gizmo for marginal loss of accuracy.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh. I reached the Deep Caverns point without realising. Guess it was time. Nearly level 21 sniper, the Beast and exploring upper underrail left to do. I've heard so much shit about DC, but I guess I should see for myself.

Sykar

Arcane
Hellfire! The crowd is chanting Hellfire!

Well atleast it's better than Lead Fury.

I was called "Super Bomberman", just because I used a few grenades to clear the mobs.

I got Lead Storm as a sniper, even though most of my damage came probably from PSI I think. Or about equal measure, hard to tell.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got a question about Find Hephaestus Research quest
where is this damn place? Colonel told me to go north from GMS compound and I tried to search the caves north and found nothing. Then I checked the wiki but those instructions only took me to the bunker where you get what you need for the next quest from that Colonel.
Now I got no clue. I even took few different directions with wiki instructions and looked through 15 cave maps but nothing :(
Anyone knows?

It's east of the Hanged Rat. Try going east a few cells and then walking around until you find it. You need TNT to open the entrance, though.
That is not the one. That one with the rocks that block doorway I found but that is for the next quest. The one I am looking for is the one where you find
Protectorate Dreadnought
It's the one a few screens South? I think of the one with the rocks. There should be a dead guy caught in the door - if you're an idiot like me you'll walk by it 40 times without actually clicking on the door and getting in.
I finally found it. To get there you have to go through some rocks, than through a big cavern full of Crawlers (I think I killed like 6) and then you find that body in the door. I kind of stumbled to it, the instructions on Wiki are useless.
Easiest way is to exit south from GMS compound lvl 1 and break through rocks on next map.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got Lead Storm, too. I guess you get it when you do most damage with bullets + ice metathermics.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Okay guys so the mission after the bunker one for the protectorate i need some help

How the fuck do i get out? I managed to wait till 2 mutants popped then did a run and gun blowing down 4 guys and hitting the exit then i kill the snipers go past and door is 75 hacking to pass lol i have 0 so i get annoyed go back check bodies nothing turn mutant as now the zone transition dumps me in mutagen lol search around all bodies no keycard can't find another exit am i missing something?

Islet

Educated
I've only played an hour or two but man, i'm enjoying it, the music is great too.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Minor bug: when I unload the ammo from a weapon, I got burdened. So ammo weight in a gun doesn't count to your limit?

Anyone else noticed this?

Inf0mercial

Augur
Minor bug: when I unload the ammo from a weapon, I got burdened. So ammo weight in a gun doesn't count to your limit?

Anyone else noticed this?
Life saving when having weight issues load all he guns you picked up and it will give you a few kilos to play with.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
the box opening progress bar

There's a feat for this called Burglar. If you were able to hack/lockpick containers in two seconds, you could steal a lot more stuff out from under NPCs' noses without being seen, which is the entire point of the Burglar feat. Likewise there is equipment that allows you move much more quickly, rendered mostly moot by a fast-forward button. "But I want to wear tungsten armor with tungsten armor plates and still sprint everywhere!" Yes... yes, I know.

I remembered a few more criticisms/complaints I have about Underrail. Foremost is that heavy armor characters need no defensive skills to mount an effective defense, whereas mobile/stealth characters need two or three skills (Evasion, Dodge, and/or Stealth) in order to mount an effective defense. This is exacerbated by the fact that stealth characters are already skill-intensive to begin with, since you'll normally also want Lockpicking, Hacking, and/or Pickpocketing; furthermore, heavy armor guys only need a crowbar to open vent grilles, whereas stealth guys require Lockpicking unless they're Strength Melee.

Rarely is a single offensive skill versatile enough, so on top of a dagger, sniper rifle, or crossbow, you'll likely want Traps or Throwing. On top of all that, crafting skills are nigh-indispensable (as I mentioned earlier), so for Throwing or Traps you'll probably also want Chemistry and Mechanics, maybe some Electronics for a non-crappy shield... it's a vicious circle, and the primary reason I don't plan to play a traditionally built stealth guy again anytime soon. You must sacrifice skills whose absence cripples your playstyle, whereas heavy armor guys or pure psi guys need do no such thing.

All of the above highlights another issue: Although there are now many dialogue situations in which Persuade can be used and it's the least skippable of the social skills, it's still far more skippable than most non-social skills, and Intimidate and Mercantile are the most skippable of all. Intimidate is used very rarely, and Yell is NOWHERE NEAR good enough to justify Intimidate (and, you have to spend a feat to get it!). You'll barely notice the loss of Mercantile, although it does appear frequently in all business transactions in the game.

Solutions: First of all, crafting should be made significantly less powerful. One way to address this without nerfing crafting itself that makes a lot of sense to me might be to have "artisan NPCs" who top out around skill level 100 in the late game. For a very high price and after a waiting period, they will produce gear (one piece at a time) for the player using materials the player provides. This gear will have slightly reduced durability and stats compared to what players can craft themselves at the same quality/skill level. This eliminates player-made repair kits, repaired loot, the high-end crafted stuff, etc., while still allowing non-crafting characters to benefit from the crafting system in some way. It also makes sense that other people in the game world can make stuff. Controversial I know, but there it is.

Evasion and Dodge should be rolled into one skill, or given immense synergy percentages. There, I said it. Fuck you.

At this point, I think that a possible solution for the lackluster social skills might be to give players 5 (20 at creation) skill points per level limited exclusively to social skills. It's an incredibly popamole cop-out solution, but at least then people would use and experience them.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
There's a feat for this called Burglar. If you were able to hack/lockpick containers in two seconds, you could steal a lot more stuff out from under NPCs' noses without being seen, which is the entire point of the Burglar feat. Likewise there is equipment that allows you move much more quickly, rendered mostly moot by a fast-forward button. "But I want to wear tungsten armor with tungsten armor plates and still sprint everywhere!" Yes... yes, I know.

That issue isn't as pressing for me as for some others here, but I don't agree with you there - the main effect of low walking speed outside combat is annoyance of the player.
In-combat is different - let heavy armor reduce movement points or increase AP cost, fine. Let it reduce the efficiency of some skills where it makes sense (e.g. pickpocket, dodge/evasion). But walking speed during normal gameplay? Why?

Mystary!

Arcane
Heavy Armor/Sledgehammer really is becoming insufferable.
You got two attacks at the most, (not counting Adrenaline) one which will always miss despite having 95% to-hit. That is, if you can even get to your target.
As if being naturally slow as fuck isn't enough, EVERYONE has a slow. Freeze, Knee-cap,Tackles, Stuns into Daze etc. Then there's nets. Due to low evasion these always land, and you cant do shit about it. Crossbowers like to chain these on you indefinitely.
And the worst offender of all, Crippling Strike. No other ability counters a build so hard. Even if there was an ability that lowered dexterity or perception you'd still be able to atleast move. Not so with Strength, since wearing the heaviest armor and wielding the heaviest weapon already has you on the brink of encumbrance. And not only does it govern your to-hit, but also your weapon
prerequisite, so you're now wielding a weapon you don't have the stats for which lowers to-hit even further. One Crippling Strike and I'm down to 10% to-hit.
All of which would be inconsequential if you had a rifle or psi powers. The game clearly hates this build... :negative:

Lhynn

Arcane
the box opening progress bar

There's a feat for this called Burglar. If you were able to hack/lockpick containers in two seconds, you could steal a lot more stuff out from under NPCs' noses without being seen, which is the entire point of the Burglar feat. Likewise there is equipment that allows you move much more quickly, rendered mostly moot by a fast-forward button.
Not really since everyone else has their detection speed and move speed doubled as well. cheat engine is a good workaround to the issue of time wasting, not that i used it, rather have my first playthrough as the dev intended. Tho i did use it to speed up super steel production.

I remembered a few more criticisms/complaints I have about Underrail. Foremost is that heavy armor characters need no defensive skills to mount an effective defense, whereas mobile/stealth characters need two or three skills (Evasion, Dodge, and/or Stealth) in order to mount an effective defense. This is exacerbated by the fact that stealth characters are already skill-intensive to begin with, since you'll normally also want Lockpicking, Hacking, and/or Pickpocketing; furthermore, heavy armor guys only need a crowbar to open vent grilles, whereas stealth guys require Lockpicking unless they're Strength Melee.
I believe light armored characters need to invest extra to justify being so effective. Tbh i dont mind and i play as one.

Rarely is a single offensive skill versatile enough, so on top of a dagger, sniper rifle, or crossbow, you'll likely want Traps or Throwing. On top of all that, crafting skills are nigh-indispensable (as I mentioned earlier), so for Throwing or Traps you'll probably also want Chemistry and Mechanics, maybe some Electronics for a non-crappy shield... it's a vicious circle, and the primary reason I don't plan to play a traditionally built stealth guy again anytime soon. You must sacrifice skills whose absence cripples your playstyle, whereas heavy armor guys need do no such thing.
Stealth to me is boring. Went without it and i believe i got a superior experience out of the game.

All of the above highlights another issue: Although there are now many dialogue situations in which Persuade can be used and it's the least skippable of the social skills, it's still far more skippable than most non-social skills, and Intimidate and Mercantile are the most skippable of all. Intimidate is used very rarely, and Yell is NOWHERE NEAR good enough to justify Intimidate (and, you have to spend a feat to get it!). You'll barely notice the loss of Mercantile, although it does appear frequently in all business transactions in the game.
Yup.

Solutions: First of all, crafting should be made significantly less powerful.
Fuck off with that, crafting is perfect in this game.

One way to address this without nerfing crafting itself that makes a lot of sense to me might be to have "artisan NPCs" who top out around skill level 100 in the late game.
This is a good idea.

This gear will have slightly reduced durability and stats compared to what players can craft themselves at the same quality/skill level.
Unnecesary, skill level 100 would leave most super steel stuff out. So youd have players crafting moderately good stuff in exchange for money they couldnt spend otherwise anyway.

This eliminates player-made repair kits, repaired loot, the high-end crafted stuff, etc., while still allowing non-crafting characters to benefit from the crafting system in some way. It also makes sense that other people in the game world can make stuff. Controversial I know, but there it is.
Not controversial at all, it makes sense.

Evasion and Dodge should be rolled into one skill, or given immense synergy percentages. There, I said it. Fuck you.
No, fuck you. they are clearly diffferent skills, the heavy investment to make a character that doesnt rely on heavy armor has effective defenses is both coherent and flavorful. Why would people bother carrying armor if just not being where the bulllet/point stick was easier?
This is coming from someone that spent 150 hours playing as a lightly armored melee character.

At this point, I think the a possible solution for the lackluster social skills might be to give players 5 (20 at creation) skill points per level limited exclusively to social skills. It's an incredibly popamole cop-out solution, but at least then people would use and experience them.
Nope, i think social skills should disappear, or have combat applications only. As they are they feel incredibly tacked on, especially intimidate. One of the best times i had in the game when it came to social interaction was in
the tchortist interview
and it was because there were no arbitrary skill checks, only sensible answers and not so sensible ones, this is imho how dialogue should be made.
I am the fucking invictus and i cant get a bandit to piss off. Every interaction that features skill checks in this game is shit and detracts from the game as a whole.

Zetor

Arcane

I got Cripplina on my first playthrough (pistols/psychokinesis hybrid... not sure why I got that nickname, didn't use too many debuffs), and Brutalette on the second one (stealth crossbows, ended up one-shotting the enemy gladiator with a huge crit... that's probably why). Third playthrough will be with a tri-spec psion dude, curious to see which of the three disciplines will stick for the nickname.

Oh. I reached the Deep Caverns point without realising. Guess it was time. Nearly level 21 sniper, the Beast and exploring upper underrail left to do. I've heard so much shit about DC, but I guess I should see for myself.
Sniper is probably the best build for DC, so it shouldn't be TOO bad even at only level 20-21.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's very nice to play a stealth traps guy, and then walk in the same areas with a heavily armoured brute later and start kicking down doors.

I liked how nobody, nobody, believes you're the Invictus. Underrail does have some nice dialogues here and there, like the drinking session.

Lhynn

Arcane
Underrail does have some nice dialogues here and there, like the drinking session.
Yup, the game has very good writing in a lot of places. it doesnt need shit like persuade/intimidate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom