Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Didn't have trouble with special bullet blueprints. Blaine has them consistently, sometime more than one.

Though I do wish that Oskar and SGS actually has a chance to carry them.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm utterly impressed with Foundry. My biggest complaint about the game was the lack of reactivity, but Foundry does a good job in this regard.

When you kill Nicolas, investigator will arrive at the "crime" scene. When you kill and expose Evelyn, everyone will know about it, and even some dialogues will be changed for this. That kind of stuff.

However, this is also a place of weird design decisions. For example, I never had any problems with finding quest things in this game, but the main quest about the Beast does not hint how I suppose to "learn more about the creatures", other than finding a biologist, it does not hint how I suppose to "lure the Beast", and it also doesn't give any clues that you can find some help before the final fight. It's obvious that you can ask Saban, but if not the wiki I would never know that you can also ask Dan about it.

There is also something wrong with the Bladelings respawn tme. They appear in the caves with the chromium rocks every time you leave these locations.

Moreover, these creatures gave me the glimpse of what I will experience in DC, as a crossbowgimp. The only viable way to kill them is by using acid blob traps, but the are rare and bitch to craft, since blob dispensers are also not very common. The same I can say about acid bolts, they are not very common compared to other types of bolts, and if you're not a crafter you will suffer even more. Serrated bolts are shit. Other than blob traps I also used burrower poison bolts which were effective, but only because it was you and one bladeling. I doubt you can do something with poison bolts against a small crowd of enemies with high resistance to mechanical damage.

Other than that I had performance problems in the prison, and I'm not sure why. The location is pretty small, with like 5-7 NPCs, while half of them is just standing and doing nothing.

Also, dialogues with Dan and Bernard sometimes end in some unexpected way, like they were suppose to be looped back into the main dialogues branch.
Auto function on the bartering window will now prioritize SGS credits for merchants that accept them

tumblr_n8tqcqPhPB1thowlgo1_250.gif
Regarding those Foundry enemies and high-resistance enemies in general as a xbowdude,
they're actually a lot less obnoxious than most of the high-mech resistance DC enemies, since they aren't poison and trap-immune. Burrower bolts and burrower traps do pretty good work even without hypertox (especially if you weave in a cave ear bolt ever so often to keep the +bio debuff on them), and normal acid bolts are probably the best filler for them, while being lackluster for most other 'hard targets'. Plus they're never going to reach you if you have Quick Tinkering, even if you're fighting two at a time (and most of the time you're just fighting one).

You should DEFINITELY be a crafter if you're a xbowgimp: 120+ effective mechanics and 55-ish points in biology as well as however many points in chemistry are needed for mk2 incendiary bolts. Add 120+ effective electronics for crafting shields, which comes with the nice bonus of mk3 shock bolts, the highest burst damage bolt you can get.

That said, I haven't checked how much the DT of HP sponge enemies was nerfed in the last patch, other than the last battle, which was actually a pretty major shift from "terrible hour-long slog of doing low-double-digit damage" to "holy crap, I can actually damage things now". So ya know, ymmv.
I think an improvement for serrated bolts would be welcome, I posted some suggestions about this earlier. Basically using them as a reliable DOT (e.g. by giving them a reasonable floor for the bleed or scaling bleed damage from crossbow skill instead of damage done) over heavily-armored enemies would make them a lot better than their current super-niche "somewhat useful when fighting multiple soft targets, but then why aren't you using frag grenades" thing.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Didn't have trouble with special bullet blueprints. Blaine has them consistently, sometime more than one.

He has a lot more after the change. I saw three at once, once.

Thing is, you might kill Blaine for a quest. I always used to, but Styg changed the Junkyard quests so that you can't complete Kill Blaine while also battling in favor of the Eels. Also, Blaine is great for laundering Credits into Charons and finding some high-quality AR and sniper frames.

Rarest components in the game currently are, I believe, Smart Modules and Napalm-C. You can find several Napalm-C in a complete shopping circuit, but as a mass crafting ingredient that's still quite rare. Nearly all other incendiary/explosive/cryo/acid components are available in much higher quantities. Toxic Sludge is similarly rare but also can be picked up in fairly large amounts from toxic dump sites.

Actually, Boot Springs are still rare, just not rare Pepe rare.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Yeah, bullets pop up more often at other traders now, I think Styg hit the right amount of rare-ness now.

And why would you kill Blaine (the underrail one)? Thats the worst quest to actually complete in this game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
And why would you kill Blaine (the underrail one)? Thats the worst quest to actually complete in this game.

Back in alpha, his inventory was crap (in my opinion/recollection), there were no elemental bullets, you could kill him and still side with either the Eels or the Scrappers, and his shop is seven thousand miles away from the train.

Dead, he was worth 1,000 Charons, and when you're still level 8-9 around Junkyard that's a lot of scratch.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes, they've moved twice in a short period of time.

I'm not a big fan of the dedicated subforums; I believe they result in a net loss of visibility. They do however allow the admins to grant developers moderation privileges within the dedicated subforum only, and everything's neatly organized, so that's good.

hell bovine

Arcane
I'm utterly impressed with Foundry. My biggest complaint about the game was the lack of reactivity, but Foundry does a good job in this regard.

When you kill Nicolas, investigator will arrive at the "crime" scene.
Well, that didn't happen in my game, perhaps you need to do this as part of a quest?
Fixed the console, because I was curious what happens, and then this NPC walks to it and gets fried. No one seemed to care, though, so my mage went on her merry way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You have to return to the scene later to find the investigator there. It's a nice bit of attention to detail.

There are a lot of little details that can easily pass you by. I'm still discovering something new occasionally even hundreds of hours in.

Nines

Learned
they're actually a lot less obnoxious than most of the high-mech resistance DC enemies, since they aren't poison and trap-immune. Burrower bolts and burrower traps do pretty good work even without hypertox (especially if you weave in a cave ear bolt ever so often to keep the +bio debuff on them), and normal acid bolts are probably the best filler for them, while being lackluster for most other 'hard targets'. Plus they're never going to reach you if you have Quick Tinkering, even if you're fighting two at a time (and most of the time you're just fighting one).
It's a... damage dealing problem, rather than difficulty. They couldn't reach me even without Quick Tinkering, but when I spent all my acid blob traps it felt like Benny Hill chase scene.

Ladder please.

Otherwise I like it (although I still don't understand how they feed everyone who lives there).
Ladder would be nice, actually, but walking is a common problem for this game, that's why I didn't mention it.

Foundry is an interesting location because in contrast to other stations they have the best defense from the external threats, and yet, living there is a nightmare due to polluted air. And it's not just that. People are completely deaf to the internal threats.
How much people Evelyn would have killed if not for you?
So, assuming that they can afford many highly trained soldiers, I guess they also can afford buying food supplies from somewhere else. Although I'm still not sure how they deliver it from Camp Hathor, and I'm also not sure how Hathor can feed the whole South Underrail.

I also doubt that one butcher can feed the whole Foundry. After all, you need 6-10 months to grow a pig IRL, depending on food properties.

Well, that didn't happen in my game, perhaps you need to do this as part of a quest?
Fixed the console, because I was curious what happens, and then this NPC walks to it and gets fried. No one seemed to care, though, so my mage went on her merry way.
You need to leave the zone obviously, and then come back, and you also have to have this place in your line of sight, otherwise you'll only see a corpse. That was the reason of my curiosity. I was wondering why no one removed his body, so I moved closer and saw an investigator.

There are also investigators in
the Evelyn's bunker, but you will know about them from Chief.
Or maybe I'm wrong and you indeed need to take the quest for this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
More than in Age of Decadence :].

Well, Age of Decadence is a smaller, shittier game with inferior graphics, so I'm sure it was much easier to bug test.

I think the current iteration of item balance is fine. Smart Module should be rare given how powerful it is. Good things should be rare.

If you have to visit every merchant in the game 20+ times to find a particular item and can play through an entire game without ever finding one (or at least one that's not q19) as loot, it's probably too rare.

The crafting system in Underrail is about variety and choice. More to the point, rewarding people who obsessively shop (i.e. laboriously backtrack) constantly while punishing those who don't is pretty questionable, and that's exactly what happens when an item is set to appear at merchants only a small fraction of the time.

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
If you have to visit every merchant in the game 20+ times to find a particular item and can play through an entire game without ever finding one (or at least one that's not q19) as loot, it's probably too rare.

That was not my experience. But there is always a chance you will miss something in a given playthrough. So I don't see why blueprints can't act the same way.

The game is boring if you have everything you need all the time, and it doesn't do well with creating a illusion that this world is not created and centered around the PC.

More than in Age of Decadence :].

Well, Age of Decadence is a smaller, shittier game with inferior graphics, so I'm sure it was much easier to bug test.

I think the current iteration of item balance is fine. Smart Module should be rare given how powerful it is. Good things should be rare.

The crafting system in Underrail is about variety and choice. More to the point, rewarding people who obsessively shop (i.e. laboriously backtrack) constantly while punishing those who don't is pretty questionable, and that's exactly what happens when an item is set to appear at merchants only a small fraction of the time.
Umm... I think I might be with oneself. Talking about stuff like boot springs? Crafting itemization is already OP - making it a little tougher isn't a bad thing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Crafting itemization isn't OP—crafting is OP. I've been saying so for nearly two years now. Obviously, some choose to disagree, and it certainly varies: You can find NV goggles with lenses nearly as good as what can be crafted, while in the realm of energy shield emitters, crafting can produce starship-grade mega-shields that absorb nearly 2,000 damage. Those shields aren't too terribly difficult to find all the parts for, either, as multiple merchants carry multiples of each part nearly all the time, and high-quality ones are relatively common.

Making something difficult to obtain is one thing, but the mechanism through which this is accomplished is significant. Defeating a powerful enemy, finding something through difficult exploration, solving a tough puzzle, and so on are preferable methods, whereas waiting to be blessed by RNG on repeated merchant visits is... somewhat less preferable. I personally enjoy trading, so I had a q120ish boot spring in my last game (before the change) and used it, ironically, only while doing merchant runs, because I used tabi otherwise. In my current game, I've found three q100+ Smart Modules and I'm still a ways off from DC.

This is all more-or-less nitpicking, mind you. No system is perfect, and the most I've ever done is humorously grumble about how rare something is. The main reason I've noticed how rare certain items are is simply because I've done so many, so very many merchant runs, not because I can't find whatever it is I'm trying to find.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Smart module (and goggles) shouldn't have quality, it should give flat 20% to special attacks or about so. Crafting can get you 50-60% extra damage from 1 item, while perk choice like Opportunist requires setup to activate and is half of that. That's bonkers.
This is fair for other modules too, like critical chance. Feats should matter more than equipment or be equal.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
Smart module (and goggles) shouldn't have quality, it should give flat 20% to special attacks or about so. Crafting can get you 50-60% extra damage from 1 item, while perk choice like Opportunist requires setup to activate and is half of that. That's bonkers.
This is fair for other modules too, like critical chance. Feats should matter more than equipment or be equal.

I can agree to that.

Smart module is too powerful given the difficulty level of the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Feat is just one small choice. Being able to craft such powerful equippment takes leveling crafting skills the whole game.

One feat should not be comparable.
Also smart googles only work for ranged, give -25% dodge and accupy a body slot.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has anybody else noticed respawns occuring sooner and more frequently as of the latest patch?

I went into the Camp Hathor mine earlier; killed everything, blew up the rocks, etc etc. Returned to the first map inside the mine and got jumped by four burrowers.

Just killed the Rathound King also, ran back through two maps and got to the map just outside Camp Hathor's mushroom farm where the Perception-discoverable underwater bridge is. The rathounds I slaughtered there seemed to have been ressurected awfully quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom