Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
and that's clearly wrong

you don't get to do more damage because you dump defense, it just means you've dumped defense, most likely for marginal benefits - what the fuck is more bang for your buck than not taking hits, not having to abuse LOS, limiting your positioning options before and during combat, not getting netted, not getting entangled by pukeacid, not getting poisoned, doubling or tripling your shield, your health, not spending action points on drugs to pep yourself up, not putting them on cooldown

and what the fuck are you bringing up tincans for, it's not like I'm insisting on nothing but defense skill utilising builds or utilising defense skills on tincans - another retarded strawman, don't bother me
But why would I invest into dodge/evasion (RNG defenses) when everything on the screen (for the most part) can be CCed and/or killed within 3 turns? Plus, energy shields are a lot more dependable.
You're the guy acting like dodge/evasion are the only forms of defense.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
DEFENSE SKILLS (ESPECIALLY EVASION) ARE THE ULTIMATE QOL SKILLS IN UNDERRAIL
I like some builds that dump defense all the way

3 CON or 9 CON and SI
No Dodge or Evasion
No armor because Regalia or Infused Rathound, Tabis and Goggles
No PSI defenses because PSI is gay
Fat shield but shields are useless against melee, crossbows and PSI

Stealth+mobility is the best defense and QOL in Underrail ever

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
on drugs to pep yourself up
Adrenaline and jumping bean are great for defensive skills though
I meant antidote and healing, especially in the context of snake dudes, who'll snipe you with AIDS tainted bolts - every poisoning you don't suffer, every hp that doesn't tick down, is something you don't have to medicate

beans are so easy to make and gel superbly with defense! defense bros would know
But why would I invest into dodge/evasion (RNG defenses) when everything on the screen (for the most part) can be CCed and/or killed within 3 turns? Plus, energy shields are a lot more dependable.
you do it for those times you can't CC everyone and kill everything in 3 turns? or just for the sake of not having to cheese every encounter until you get it to work in this one exact way that doesn't end with your ass getting whooped the moment anything survives

I just don't want to hear defense doesn't do what it says on the tin or some other cope in defense of generalist builds that do everything for the sake of it but can't get out of the way of attacks

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
you do it for those times you can't CC everyone and kill everything in 3 turns? or just for the sake of not having to cheese every encounter until you get it to work in this one exact way that doesn't end with your ass getting whooped the moment anything survives
As opposed to getting fucked by the dodge/evasion RNG? Guess what, when shit doesn't work out as planned, you're still reloading.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
As opposed to getting fucked by the dodge/evasion RNG?
wtf I hate dodge/evasion now

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
DEFENSE SKILLS (ESPECIALLY EVASION) ARE THE ULTIMATE QOL SKILLS IN UNDERRAIL
I like some builds that dump defense all the way

3 CON or 9 CON and SI
No Dodge or Evasion
No armor because Regalia or Infused Rathound, Tabis and Goggles
No PSI defenses because PSI is gay
Fat shield but shields are useless against melee, crossbows and PSI

Stealth+mobility is the best defense and QOL in Underrail ever
have that, and defense, and live like a king!

(I'd still dump stealth and utility before defense, tho, since playing entirely reliant on sneak nuking is monotone while defense proficient fighting, when it comes to it, is more dynamic and allows for push and pull, emergent target prioritisation etc etc I've said as much before)
wtf I hate dodge/evasion now
Good. Because offense and other forms of defense are more dependable than the RNG based ones.
yREpeUo.gif

if you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man, you win some, lose some, it's all the same to me - the pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say

I don't share your greed, the only thing I need is the RNG

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
your retarded ass is reloading encounters again and again, you get fucked the moment you get hit once, and you get fucked the moment your alpha strike doesn't go your way, with no path to recovery, or the half hours you spent laying traps doesn't pan out the exact way you need when put to play

Dodge this! *throws a flashbang*

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
your retarded ass is reloading encounters again and again, you get fucked the moment you get hit once, and you get fucked the moment your alpha strike doesn't go your way, with no path to recovery, or the half hours you spent laying traps doesn't pan out the exact way you need when put to play

Dodge this! *throws a flashbang*
flashbangs are not death sentences, no? the first hit following it is not a guaranteed hit, and damage that does connect knocks you back out and puts your defenses back up ie the first hit of a burst is the most likely to hit and the rest can whiff

much better than being caught without, and, mind, you're still as capable of not being caught in such a situation in the first place, you just have a lot going for you when you do - next time focus on the usual suspects carrying flashbangs or whatever

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
flashbangs are not death sentences, no? the first hit following it is not a guaranteed hit, and damage that does connect knocks you back out and puts your defenses back up ie the first hit of a burst is the most likely to hit and the rest can whiff

AR bursts are never a problem for shields, even with mediocre skill around the time of Rail Crossing. Try crossbow bolts, or 300 damage Aimed Shot snipers. Enemies tend to throw flashbangs at the end of their turns so it's more-or-less random what you're gonna get hit with.

Aside from Dom, shield users reload when they forget to enable the shield before ending the turn. And on Dom, Dodge/Evasion are heavily penalized to the point that Grover of all people manages to hit you every time.

"phew, didn't need those defense skills after all, glad I can open up every lock and keypad for those precious rubber balls and rags"

Sure. What's next, not dumping CON?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

AR bursts are never a problem for shields, even with mediocre skill around the time of Rail Crossing. Try crossbow bolts, or 300 damage Aimed Shot snipers. Enemies tend to throw flashbangs at the end of their turns so it's more-or-less random what you're gonna get hit with.

Aside from Dom, shield users reload when they forget to enable the shield before ending the turn. And on Dom, Dodge/Evasion are heavily penalized to the point that Grover of all people manages to hit you every time.

"phew, didn't need those defense skills after all, glad I can open up every lock and keypad for those precious rubber balls and rags"

Sure. What's next, not dumping CON?
and I have a shield, and I get more use out of it with defense, so what the fuck is your point? crossbow bolts? sniper shots? I can shield when incap, I CAN EVADE them when not, you CAN'T, I'm LIMBER, you're A STIFF

defense can also dump CON with greater ease of mind - I'm in every way in a superior position with defense added on top of everything

oh, you've got bumped up offense skills? maybe I'll let loose an INTIMIDATE maxed YELL and you'll be back to your normal difficulty self, BITCH - maybe I'll just eat a fucking bean for the 25% defense skill bonus to rob you some of the 30% edge dom gives you - maybe I won't do shit, because it's not as significant as you put it

leave me alon
5Pjiwrl.jpg

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
and I have a shield, and I get more use out of it with defense, so what the fuck is your point? crossbow bolts? sniper shots? I can shield when incap, I CAN EVADE them when not, you CAN'T, I'm LIMBER, you're A STIFF
You also invested 320 points more into an RNG based defense, 320 points you could have utilized better.
METAL ARMOR > DODGE/EVASION
STEALTH > DODGE/EVASION
MOBILITY > DODGE/EVASION
CC > DODGE/EVASION
DAMAGE > DODGE/EVASION
ENERGY SHIELDS > DODGE/EVASION

But don't get me wrong, dodge/evasion is great... on normal. And even then, all of the above is better.

jackofshadows

Magister
CB58B0EC3DCBA91415192F728F228DE26AE3F6D2

These new guys are tough. I simply can't kill them at 24lvl, need more damage. Will try again with veteran perks and some other adjustments.

RE evasion/dodge. Idk about relying on those, never tried it on DOM but getting evasion at expense some crafting/lockpicking and making low-low shield seems like a good idea for many builds. Just not at expense anything that might give more offence.
Everything about "camera trouble" is bad.
Huh? Where's that? Or it's a random thing?

Tigranes

Arcane
Camera trouble is the new quest with SGS Level 7 electronics dude. Sometimes it ends with them capturing you and you blasting your way out, sometimes they talk to you about their weird issue with their robots, which is when you get the dialogue. And yeah, it's definitely weird janky prose all the way through.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
You also invested 320 points more into an RNG based defense, 320 points you could have utilized better.
METAL ARMOR > DODGE/EVASION
STEALTH > DODGE/EVASION
MOBILITY > DODGE/EVASION
CC > DODGE/EVASION
DAMAGE > DODGE/EVASION
ENERGY SHIELDS > DODGE/EVASION

But don't get me wrong, dodge/evasion is great... on normal.
utilised better? what's better? what am I not investing in by investing in defense? investing in defense doesn't detract from your ability to invest in stealth, mobility, CC, damage or crafting energy shields, so WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR POINT (you have exactly enough skill points to max an attack skill, BOTH defense skills and all crafting skills beyond the point of what's necessary, the game is fucking bursting with skill points)

and stop saying "RNG based defense", it's not the argument you think it is - you and Blaine both use it like it means 0%, while the only 0%s are you who don't even get to roll the dice effectively, I'm WINNING even with 1% chance of success, you get 0, FUCK YOU

(minus wrapping myself in tin, because why would I if I meant to stealth and be mobile, it's a different animal and doesn't really stand to compare, stop bringing it up, where the fuck did I say tin can is not a thing, why do you keep bringing it up)

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
utilised better? what's better? what am I not investing in by investing in defense? investing in defense doesn't detract from your ability to invest in stealth, mobility, CC, damage or crafting energy shields, so WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR POINT
Well, no. If you want to craft the best stuff, you'll also need to invest into mercantile to unlock merchant tiers, for the best crafting components. If you're non-psi, I guess you can put points into dodge/evasion, but then even with the nerfs psycho-temporal contraction is still very much worth it and is a better investment than dodge/evasion. And if you're putting 55 points for contraction, might as well put 70 into TM for stasis. And 45 in psychokinesis for imprint.
Then there's throwing. It's the most cost effective way to get some AoE and CC in your build. You wanna put in at least 50-60 points depending on DEX, I like putting in a little more to avoid save scumming.

I've said it before I'll say it again bro, anything you put into dodge/evasion could have been better used elsewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom