Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Tried a build which kept stealth, evasion and traps in the mix with the crafting stuff.

Started out strong but soon became miserable, not able to keep up with tougher locks and so on. Needing chemistry as well as tailoring to work on Mutant Dog hide was a big fuck you.

This time paring things down to Guns, Throwing, Lockpicking and the Crafting stuff. Seems you need to sacrifice a lot to keep pumping points into those disciplines early.

Overall, crafting definitely adds a lot to this game. ATOM put me off the idea of crafting in this style of game but Underrail definitely seems to do it right from what I've seen so far. For example, no random crafting failure with chance of losing the ingredients. :)

Tygrende

Arbiter
WHO FOR FUCK SAKE THOUGHT THAT AMAZEMENT WAS A GOOD IDEA????
I can't believe you people still haven't figured this one out in all these years.

It's colors. The doors have colored lights for a reason. Red, green, blue, repeat.

Zariusz

Arbiter
WHO FOR FUCK SAKE THOUGHT THAT AMAZEMENT WAS A GOOD IDEA????
I can't believe you people still haven't figured this one out in all these years.

It's colors. The doors have colored lights for a reason. Red, green, blue, repeat.
To be honest only thing that i figured (and its maybe not even true) is that if you found the key in one of the corners then then the door will be in its opposed corner and vice versa.

The funny thing is that Gauntlet is meant to be a live broadcast that people watch to be entertained. How could anyone be entertained watching amazement? It's the most boring shit imaginable. I guess most of the other floors wouldn't be that fun to spectate either, but at least they don't take forever.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
The funny thing is that Gauntlet is meant to be a live broadcast that people watch to be entertained. How could anyone be entertained watching amazement? It's the most boring shit imaginable. I guess most of the other floors wouldn't be that fun to spectate either, but at least they don't take forever.
I'd find some retard lost in a maze with their life at stake pretty fucking entertaining

Tygrende

Arbiter
I'd find some retard lost in a maze with their life at stake pretty fucking entertaining
Especially when he finally finds the elevator, cheerfully rushes towards it, only to be blown up by the mines right in front of it.

Trashos

Arcane
Gotta say, the TC/TM build (Tranquil) is pretty good, and I recommend it. TC and TM synergize very well, as Time Distortion does not break Mental Breakdown on application (it only breaks it when the damage is done).
The main combo I am using of course is LoC/Mental Breakdown-->Neural Overload for living enemies. Distortion on robots. Due to the way Distortion works, the toughest test is going to be when I will have to face multiple robots (Black Sea and Arke- I will take the easy way out of RAF).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do so many people complain about robots? Once you get a 1500+ energy shield, all of them become trivial.

Trashos

Arcane
We will see about that, I guess. I cannot predict it currently.

(I am not really complaining, btw. I knew right from the start that robots are going to be a tough challenge for this build.)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I hate my sword build.

STR: 18 CON: 7 DEX: 6 AGI: 4 INT: 7

It's pretty survivable even at high levels (despite the lack of parry feats), but having to lure enemies around the corner and cast temporal contraction is annoying. I feel like finishing the game would be a matter of little more than gaming the Eye of Tchort timer. Crit for 500 dmg is decent but it's not worth the hassle.

Damn swords require 6 DEX with no AP benefit. And for what, if Flurry fails randomly with 95% THC? Fail it twice in a difficult fight and you have to reload. Try that Lemurian Grand Archives fight without reloading on flurry miss... It should either drop the 95% cap, reroll once, or only go on cooldown when missing twice in a row.

I have 5 ways of stunning the enemy but what's the fucking point.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I hate my sword build.

It's pretty survivable even at high levels (despite the lack of parry feats), but having to lure enemies around the corner and cast temporal contraction is annoying. I feel like finishing the game would be a matter of little more than gaming the Eye of Tchort timer. Crit for 500 dmg is decent but it's not worth the hassle.

Damn swords require 6 DEX with no AP benefit. And for what, if Flurry fails randomly with 95% THC? Fail it twice in a difficult fight and you have to reload. Try that Lemurian Grand Archives fight without reloading on flurry miss... It should either drop the 95% cap, reroll once, or only go on cooldown when missing twice in a row.

Machetes have extremaly high highs and extremaly low lows. Running around with 20 stacks of onslaught is crazy, as is spamming flurries. On the other hand you can miss a flurry and that's that.

I actually hate this kind of gameplay a lot and hate how the sniper rifles got changed into being the exact same thing - extremaly high body count if you keep shooting spree up, or you miss/don't kill on the 1st shot and cry.

HFJYnEz.jpg

Sheepherder

Augur
Nah, swords do fine even if you miss a flurry. They cost 15 AP and have Ripper boosting their critical damage along with CP. Plus there's LTI. And Red Dragon. So they have high highs and average lows.
Snipers do seem to have been a bit shafted by the increase in AP costs, but as with any other issue a weapon type has - there's always a remedy for that if you have TM :D

Trashos

Arcane
I just noticed this:
Dude said:
I attract strange things, living and otherwise. No offense.

That "otherwise".... Does he mean the laser cats inside or... does he mean the player character?
I remember one of the ending slides saying something like "what happened to the Free Drones will haunt you until your death" (not exact quote- but I remember the mention of eventual death), so I am probably reading too much into it.

All these questions that will never be answered, sigh. I have been wondering for a long time whether our character is just a nobody or someone with a past connected to major events.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Machetes have extremaly high highs and extremaly low lows. Running around with 20 stacks of onslaught is crazy, as is spamming flurries. On the other hand you can miss a flurry and that's that.

I actually hate this kind of gameplay a lot and hate how the sniper rifles got changed into being the exact same thing - extremaly high body count if you keep shooting spree up, or you miss/don't kill on the 1st shot and cry.

It's actually not that great. A fully-charged and specialized flurry is 10 AP. It kills up to 1 enemy. It has no penetration unless using expose weakness with its long cooldown.

SMG burst costs 8-12 AP, kills 3-5 enemies, missing will kill 1-4 enemies, always has penetration, and has some range. It's easier to kill either groups of enemies or extremely tough enemies on a lower level taking less risks and using less drugs.

Or try a rifle build. Shooting Spree with Snipe + Aimed Shot, then 4 bursts using Commando, drugs and TM. It can only fail at 2 points (using Shooting Spree) and even then, you can still use the bursts. Sword has to hit with 95% THC 3 times per 10AP flurry.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Making some headway this time with a more focused build. Finally got my gun nut shotty and a king's ransom in cartidges.

Just a noob question for you guys, how do you manage all your crafting garbage. My latest run I bit the bullet and keep it all in my private quarters, ferrying back stuff from remote stashes that I know I will want to use.

Is there a better way of doing this I'm missing? It feels annoying leaving stuff I might want later in out of the way stashes.

I guess it will be less of an issue as I figure what's actually useful, but interested in any tips for managing all this junk.

Parabalus

Arcane
I hate my sword build.

With TM you can game the cd a lot with stasis and LTC, but still annoying.

I went with a 18 DEX build with the katana and found the damage more than enough.

Just a noob question for you guys, how do you manage all your crafting garbage. My latest run I bit the bullet and keep it all in my private quarters, ferrying back stuff from remote stashes that I know I will want to use.

Not worth it, drop it at trainstations, on the floor. It never goes away. Useful for traders, always drop excess loot at their feet, so you can sell it when you pass by.

A bit later you can do it at your house, you'll see why it's worth it.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Thanks, it's a shame there isn't a more "in universe" way of managing the stuff. Like a shuttle service or a vehicle of some kind. Leaving my junk in trash cans or in front of a trader feels kind of goofy.

Will be interested to see how getting a house shakes things up.

jackofshadows

Magister
I guess it will be less of an issue as I figure what's actually useful, but interested in any tips for managing all this junk.
Exactly. Just delve into crafting more and you'll know what to pick or not to in the first place. Also what Parabalus said: you don't have to LARP and store everything in your quater: make stashes and/or even drop stuff everywhere.

Trashos

Arcane
I buy all the shelves and keep everything in my basement. When I return home with a lot of crafting material, I run around the different shelves so that everything gets stored where it is supposed to be (electronic material next to the electronics bench etc).

I do this in all open-world games. It is interesting that in my RL home I just throw everything on the floor.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I buy all the shelves and keep everything in my basement.
Lots of disposable charons you got there to not just leave the stuff in piles on the floor.

Personally I use the shelf at SGS for crafting components and the footlocker for consumables/useful items/etc. I drop loot in piles near various merchants, but I like SGS being the one place I always store stuff for my own use. Better than forgetting where I put it.

Trashos

Arcane
Yeah, it is a habit I formed on Hard when it didn't matter. We will see if I manage to keep it, I kinda like it like that. It is cozy.

Otoh, everything is so neatly organized, that I feel motivated to spend time crafting random stuff and going on selling rounds. So it all works out. Not sure I would do that otherwise (although of course I should).

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Wish there was a way to pay money to upgrade/custom order crafting components. Im kind of tired of the RNG of the crafting system, I would definitely pay a couple thousands charons to upgrade the components I want to use to a certain quality level.

Also, why can't you buy a jet ski before going on the expedition? I wish I didn't have to wait till Im level 20 or so before I can actually start using one.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Wish there was a way to pay money to upgrade/custom order crafting components. Im kind of tired of the RNG of the crafting system, I would definitely pay a couple thousands charons to upgrade the components I want to use to a certain quality level.

You can savescum. Quick save after merchant refresh right before talking to him. This works but I haven't tested or exploited it properly yet.

Mauman

Learned
Anyone figure out what the hell Coral's charms do yet?

Far as I'm concerned right now, the only thing that Coral does is let me know to restart my game since evidently she's mutually exclusive with Booth.

Seriously, FUCK that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom