Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
ryujinx works well constant 60 fps and no problems with anything

5 hours in and without kidding goty potential

expert difficulty is slightly too easy so far. anyway going to write something proper after finishing probably in few days

Reinhardt

Arcane
proper catapult testing stage

5yEEvjF.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uncle George once again says that VanillaWare depleted all of their budget on the development of Unicorn Overlord, just like they did with 13 Sentinels.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Art of this game is really phenomenal. Gameplay is fun too. This gonna be a good weekend.

notpl

Arbiter
Biggest con so far is meaningless c&c - it's all just recruit/execute the enemy you just fought, and there's never any reason not to recruit them except for humor value. On the other hand, there's not much reason to recruit yet another Swordsman or something past hour 10 when you already have more units than you could ever conceivably use, and unlike in ogre battle or fire emblem characters have no inherent strengths or weaknesses over one another and are all indistinguishable from a generic unit of the same type.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
What happens if you execute everybody?
people die when they are killed

so the hardest difficulty is locked behind ng+, well thats retarded
but if its only redeployed change then so far its been same as expert

and yeah units that are same class should have more differences than now (traits which determine attributes but can change those with consumable item)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
dOfzUJM.jpg
2UBPdaI.jpg
Are there any mutually exclusive recruitables?
Does the game have different endings, or its like symphony, where the choice is limited to who we bone?
You can recruit everyone in one run. Story is linear, but you can do things in different order. I think that you can choose any character you want for marriage with the Unicorn ring.

Nirvash

Liturgist
OK 8h in, going to rescue the childhooh tits monster.

Game of the year.

But this is OGRE BATTLE, by all intent, by all purpose, this is a ogre battle game.
Even the story/characters/classes/style/beats are ogre saga lore with different names.

What happened here.

Latro

Arcane
Obviously an ogre battle spiritual successor. But how good? Better than OB64? I hear max difficulty is easy, so maybe the ng+ is better?

Elttharion

Learned

Atlus on bringing Unicorn Overlord to PC - "As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently."

Source

notpl

Arbiter
Am I misunderstanding something, or is the mission "Two Armies as One" in the desert region simply not possible on the max difficulty? An allied unit on the other side of the map starts surrounded by hostiles and dies in 15-20 seconds, and the fastest possible flying unit with a speed buff still can't make it more than halfway there in that time. No teleportation skills allow you to select allied third-party units, so that idea doesn't work either.

Reinhardt

Arcane
it's supposed to be bait for rebel army. enemy stops attacking them shortly after mission starts and resumes only after you getting closer. allied squad survived though barely but because they stationed in fort they healed back to full health by the time enemy decides they outlived their usefulness.

Ent

Savant
Older Japanese developers really are stuck in the mindset of PC = piracy and mods that ruin the image of game.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

Atlus on bringing Unicorn Overlord to PC - "As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently."

Source
That really sad news. I will continue playing it
on PC.
Damn I don't know how so called PC hamster... I mean master race will recover.
Truly, Vanillaware strike PC pirates straight into heart. Now they will know fear and will crawl back to superior consoles.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
So I was playing this from
Monday
and have around 40 hours in it(but I also dicked around a lot and have it idle so its not exactly indicator of how long game is. Started with
infinity time hacked
demo then switched(heh) to full version and then to updated one.
Technicalities
Technically it work well and you can run it perfectly on
PC
, sadly older versions of
emulators don't work well with Win7 - you can run it well but no sound on R. and Y. is down so I couldn't find last version that work with it.
. Cheat engine speed hack works great with it.
No idea why its not on PC(outside of main boss of Vanillaware autism).
>Atlus on bringing Unicorn Overlord to PC - "As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently."
https://www.destructoid.com/unicorn-overlord-devs-talk-history-card-games-and-that-delicious-food/
To anyone interested only other game I was interested from Snitch - Tactics Ogre reborn I got on Steam - kinda regret it because in their last patch they fucked up and make it not work on Win7 for no reason(it was working well with fan fix). The market is here and I bet plenty of people would get it just for pretty girls, some digital art and music. I would probably get most V-w games if they would be on Steam, not gonna get any consoles for them only tho. Sorry, no sorry.
Visuals
It looks great. Sprites are amazing, girls are pretty, everything looks godly. Music is also great. There is nothing much to say about it.
Localization is also decent. No woke elements and when stylized its in light way no full meme speak like in FFT Lions War. Its fine in general, some characters get more punch but that is really not issue. Maybe if you understand Nippon speak and play with English subtitles and Nippon dubbing but seriously its very niche issue. There is some minor inconsistencies but I am not sure if you can blame this localizer team or just schizo Nippon development.
Story
Eh, generic like hell. You can get all characters and there is little chance for missing them and most have very little development or affecting story(outside few key one that you will get anyway - you like it or not. Most of the time its just - do you want this character on your team or not and that is it.
Characters are nicely done and eng dubbing is solid too.
World
Its semi open - you can wander a lot and sneak in plenty of places but it don't scale so if you go into harder areas you will steam roll easier later. Rolling with battles based on level is probably best idea. I think it suppose to be bigger with more choice but taht just my feeling.
Gameplay
Its nice but quite easy even on expert. Mostly because of plenty of tools you get to your disposition and that you can easily make Overpowering squads - I think biggest ''issue'' is that you can predict battles and so it amke piss easy. You can also adapt and change equipment, position orders(and this affect RNG) so...
Talking about RNG the best feature is NO RANDOM character growth - essentially what stats you get on level up is static based on character personalities(every have two, it can double). Its best thing ever, killed my save scumming addiction when playing FE and similar games. Also that make generics solid choice to replace uniques as they have same growth rate but you can choose what you want(there is item that let you change it for unique units too tho). Promotions just grant extra stats and new skill set so there is no reason to delay or run for it. Best feature ever.
Main meat of the game is building teams and then fiddling with skills, equipment positions and orders. Its a lot of like Ogre Battle but you can actually change lot on the fly and program behaviour. That easily changes make it easy game.
Also there are Spirit battles that you can grind for honour/renown/money/exp so these are literary non issue. You get EXP Manuals from them to level up under leveled characters too. They also progress time so you get more resources for rebuilding towns and delivers for extra cash and Honour. Essentially only Items in shops are limited. Yep even consumables but game is quite easy so its not real issue. Also you can farm Divine shards in mines(slowly but still).
Soft cap for levels is like 3 over enemy but seriously you don't really need more. Most the times levels just gate skills and that is all.
Rapport for generics grant same bonuses like for uniques and all you miss is some talk and 2 Honour per talk and that is all, so if you want to build up generic team you can and just execute everyone you don't like. You can easily farm rapport point eating food or giving gifts.
You can choose any girl to marry by giving the ring but there is little romance.
You can give ring to male characters too but it just trigger bro moments(or so I heard).

Overall its really well done and nicely made game. Pleasure to play. Would buy
(on PC)
Very fun to play although quite easy(playing on Expert)
rEBC5ub.png

TBH It kind of feel that game suppose to be bigger with more choices and different paths and endings but so far I am in I can tell its rather linear in story aspect. I don't see much replay ability.
Anyway cheers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom