Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal Engine 5 - holy shit!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Only developer who knew how to use shaders well was Valve. Even cartoony TF2 was made with restraint. Other games be liek, yo, real life is wearing sunglasses at all tiems, dawg. Real men are made out of greasy plastic. And now games have this ugly bright/desaturated/low-contrast look with boring lighting but it's okay because WE USE PBR SO ITS REALISTICS, RTX ON!!!!

Source Engine still has the best HDR of all time even a decade and a half later.

They also still have some of the best faces on characters.

Personally, i disagree with the prejudice towards "realism" in visuals voiced here and i'm not actually a fan of "stylistic" graphics at all. In fact, my biggest problem with modern AAA graphics, so called, is precisely that they are not realistic but that they have this retarded, "cinematic" style.

Keep in mind that realism in graphics is not necessarely always tied to how advanced the graphics are. Good lighting, sharp textures, spare use of effects can go a long way in creating a "realistic" image as opposed of having the kind of post-processed dirriah many modern games inject into their visuals. I would also argue that realism actually requires genuine artistic talent. A year ago i played the original Operation Flashpoint, and i was struck at the fact the faces of the various characters actually looked more "real" than those of the later games, despite the colossal difference in graphical advancement. This is because the artist who drew the facial textures of the original game was able to capture the "real" essence of human faces, or that of certain facial archetypes at any rate, where as people's faces in a lot of AAA games just have that generic 3D rendered face style.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Fallout4's "Super Duper Mart" is an interesting juxtaposition. It's interesting because the well done interior fails to add up with the crude exterior. Moreover, "semi-exterior" just doesn't exist in that game. The whole exterior just adds up to what I'd call a primitive "LOD conformism" (and implausibleness ).

Not that low, I still want my pie charts. Though I guess you could depict those in ASCII.
You can depict anything in ASCII.
Just use small enough pixels and imagination .)
I remember that! The old ASCII video output setting on VLC.
Good styff.
---> https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/retro-computing-software-tech-thread.141086/

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Holy shit", all the shilling these demos got. And I foolishly thought people would know better by now.
It goes like this:
1. Flashy demos of what the technology can do, in lab conditions.

2. Games being marketed as "built on Mega Giga Throbbing Cock Technology".

3. Games subsequently being downgraded to fit the mainstream (console) market.

How many times until you learn?

Last edited:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
"Holy shit", all the shilling these demos got. And I foolishly thought people would know better than now.
It goes like this:
1. Flashy demos of what the technology can do, in lab conditions.

2. Games being marketed as "built on Mega Giga Throbbing Cock Technology".

3. Games subsequently being downgraded to fit the mainstream (console) market.

How many times until you learn?

N+1, truly we live in the N times

Codex Year of the Donut
silent hill remake in unreal engine 6
image.png

SlamDunk

Arcane

holy shit
You can still tell that this is not a real human but we are getting close to realistic looking humans in games.
Finally after sooo many years...
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

The metahuman face looks like crap in comparison to the deepfake one. Huge quality difference.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So realistic, and yet so generic at the same time. That's not a face you gonna remember even if it was a real guy.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

holy shit
You can still tell that this is not a real human but we are getting close to realistic looking humans in games.
Finally after sooo many years...
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Wonderfully close, all of it. For my money, what still gives it away instantly is the blinking, it's not fast enough and I think there's some kind of symptomatic motion the eyelids have while blinking that's not being captured. Perhaps the effect of the slight glueyness, or maybe that the muscular impulse is based on the relaxation of tension (IOW like a bow, my sense of it would be that it's muscular tension that's keep the eyes open, and that the closing is like a relaxation rather than a muscular push, something like that - I conjecture this from noticing that when you're falling asleep the sense of the eyes closing is definitely that their closure is something like a fall into a natural state).

Generally body simulation is all a bit wonky wrt not taking into account the effects of gravity on a moving bag of liquid. For example, CGI people riding CGI creatures is never done right (think of Obi Wan riding the beast in the prequels, or how a CGI cowboy riding a bucking bronco would look fake), because they're still not simulating right down to that "floppy meatsack" level that takes into account the effects of gravity, or the tensegrity in the body (the fact that the fascia are in counter-tension with the muscles). Once they crack those two simulationists aspects, right down to the facial level, then we'll definitely be clear of the uncanny valley. We certainly are in terms of rendering surfaces already, now it's all in the animation, and how animation has to do simulation to some extent, including physics, gravity and body tensegrity.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Keep in mind the limitations of the tech. This video is a great example.

It definitely shows potential but there's still a lot of artistry and work you need to put into it, its not a one-press and you get photorealism for indie devs you're still going to have to make something that resembles realism this just takes you the rest of the way.
I think cinematic games are going to benefit the most because deepfake works well in a constrained environment. Pretty cool though.
We're getting some really cool new tricks that allow you to leverage your talent better and I think that's great for everyone but the key is you need that talent.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That sounds pretty amazing, LOD popping is something I've hated since I first saw it in 2000 ish and I've whined about it ever since and never seen anyone else even mention it. So I knew I was screwed. It only took about 23 years to see it get addressed! Hurr! But yeah I'll believe it when I see it in reality. It also needs to find its way into other engines. Also fwiw I've read exciting Unreal Engine tech stuff for the past 4 versions but I doubt I've played anything on any of those engines since UT2004. Improving tech is nice but the quality of games and gameplay has got worse over the years.

SlamDunk

Arcane
LOD popping is something I've hated since I first saw it in 2000 ish and I've whined about it ever since and never seen anyone else even mention it. So I knew I was screwed. It only took about 23 years to see it get addressed!
I'm in the same boat. I hate pop up/in with a passion.

Have you played Red Dead Redemption 2? It has an impressively small amount of pop up/in, which does a lot for the sense of immersion.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah it looks good. I was amazed that with all the effort they put into Star Citizen's graphics, I often see clips of a planet with the camera slowly moving... And then an entire mountain just disappears, and becomes a completely different shape. And they show it in promotional videos without any shame!

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
That example is not a great one though, they should have used a dense mesh so that it becomes apparent what is going on. Passing it off as "its just as good as close up" is misleading you can see the tesselation nanite is doing even on youtube. Most won't care about that though as it produces a better result than most can pull off with LODs with none of the efforts. The mesh they used for before was what I'd probably consider a worst-case, not a good asset, if they went with a high quality mesh that already had good LODs it'd be a more impressive example, potentially even a higher FPS gain. It'll be interesting to see what AAA studios do with it.

The reflection update looks good though, they really are doing great things with that new renderer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom