Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vagrus: The Riven Realms - post-apocalyptic fantasy caravan master RPG - now with Old Acquaintances DLC

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I mean, the prologue/tutorial itself took me about 5-6 hours to complete - which was an awesome introduction to the many mechanics and setting, that I would urge anyone eagerly awaiting release to dive into now - so if that's any indication, it's going to be a solid lengthy experience. Judging from what the developers and players have reported, seems like 60-120 hours is the range we're looking at, especially if you take into consideration the many failures that await you.

Zeriel

Arcane
How big is game world?

It's pretty big. Kind of a hard question to answer though. Exploring the whole world in terms of just having been to every town once is only a fraction of your time. That being said if you take it slow and only explore fully once you feel comfortable doing so (because it's really rough overextending yourself early on, which is to say taking any long journey at all that isn't part of making profit), you're easily going to take a week of straight playing just to see the whole map. And I've heard people say they spent 200~ hours in the early access without seeing all the storylines/content, so yeah, there's a lot in there.

What is closest game to it?

I've never played anything like it before (in its total package, obviously some things remind of other games), which is why I say it's hard to answer. It's a little bit of CYOA, a little bit of management/combat, and a little bit of... I don't know, Oregon Trail? Definitely not a beaten down path in terms of games/genres.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like must buy to me. A bit worried this do not turn into trading/economic simulator.

Looking more for exploration/combat game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looks like must buy to me. A bit worried this do not turn into trading/economic simulator.

Looking more for exploration/combat game.
Hmmm trading is a core mechanic while combat and explorations are side thing. I don't think that you could just ignore the trading aspect since you need food for your army and people. And food is your main money sink. You could always cheat and just ignore that part tho. I like to freeze the food amount with cheat engine and enjoy the rest of the game.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, there are posibilities to play as a mercenary and focus on combat quests, but I havent tried that myself. The core of the game is finding the good trading routes and making money through them, there is plenty of combat, but for me it is something that either happens in quests or something that is a necessary evil (when you get ambushed along the way).

What is closest game to it?

Sunless Sea/Sunless Sky, except Vagrus is IMO better than both. As far as crew management/exploration/trading games go I would say that if you want a Sci-Fi setting, you should go for Star Traders: Frontiers and if you want Fantasy setting, you should go for Vagrus.

Zeriel

Arcane
IMO the combat tasks are pretty annoying as a main path of gameplay. It's fine to do them for reasons like the reputation, but as something you'd do from the start as your main profit seeking path they are not very rewarding.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
IMO the combat tasks are pretty annoying as a main path of gameplay. It's fine to do them for reasons like the reputation, but as something you'd do from the start as your main profit seeking path they are not very rewarding.
Maybe if you are going for a slave trader type of game. I believe you could enslave the enemy after battle.

Zeriel

Arcane
Maybe if you are going for a slave trader type of game. I believe you could enslave the enemy after battle.

Yeah you can. The problem is not offense--offense is generally pretty fun and lucrative. The problem is defense always sucking. You can have a force 10x as strong as the enemy, completely kill all of them, and still lose stuff (and meaningful stuff, like a beast of burden). It just feels really bad unless you need to do the task for rep or a story event, I can't imagine choosing to go down that route as a from day 1 thing (as that one background wants you to).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is great for its C&C and writing. Haggling about play time is missing the point. It's still huge though :)
It's also structured to be comparatively inexpensive to expand by adding events and storylines.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
243345504-4649456898431633-7134595322425794253-n.jpg

Eylani is a companion character who has thus far been unavailable for recruitment in the game. She is a Half-Elven warrior, wanderer, beastmaster, and huntress. Not only is she a formidable frontline fighter able to tank a lot of hurt but can also use Striker, her falcon, to disrupt enemies, as well as overwatch positions to cause good damage.

When designing Eylani, we had to consider that Half-Elves have no material culture of their own as they are not a united race by any means. However, they do have some common traits, especially those that live in accordance with nature, like she does. And so we added the feathers, the organic materials, the face-paint, and the leaf-like motifs while keeping the "wasteland ranger" look.

You will be able to hire Eylani when the game hits 1.0 on October 5!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/909660/view/2889612576943021871

Vagrus Devlog #58 | Quest, Quests, and More Quests!
This week’s devblog is all about the plethora of quests being added to Vagrus with the full launch on October 5th. The update will include a revamped UI, a new companion to recruit, and plenty of quests to find on your journies across the wastelands. Let’s take a look at what’s coming!

c2e00440eef33c7f70e3766b8471f03b4a2e60dc.jpg

Revamped User Interface and Extended Campaign Map
The cartographers of the wastelands have been hard at work preparing a new version of the Chart. There will soon be eight new points of interest on the campaign map with the remaining part of the Searing Plains becoming accessible along withthem. These locations are deep in the desert so don't forget to resupply your comitatus before you set out on an expedition.

Vagrus’ crew and settlement UI panes are also getting some much needed upgrades to make navigating the menu a more user-friendly experience. We previously covered some of the changes in Devlog #56, and you can even find a short video showcasing many of the changes on our YouTube Channel.

Companion Quests
In Devlog #57, we detailed how each companion in the game will have a loyalty questline. These long, complex stories will allow characters to level up to Prowess 9 and give you some incredible rewards, though you might need to raise their loyalty through gifts and other means as well. Multiple endings are also available for some of the companion quests.

3e63b3e97bb39654e1f4cda8e866fe0687e1403d.jpg

The Sand Wyrm Invasion Quest
Take caution while traversing the endless dunes! It has been reported that hordes of abominable Sand Wyrms have attacked comitati traveling across the Searing Plains. Try to slay the monstrous Wyrms with your allies before the creatures cause even more mayhem!

016e281b4778a099ba5325735c24ea7706883a67.jpg

Embark on a Spiritual Journey with the Sadirar Tribes
Among the scorching dunes of the wastelands, you may stumble upon its native inhabitants, the spiritual Sadirar. As a part of a new questline, you'll be guided by the Shamans of the four tribes who will enlighten you about the four elemental Great Spirits.

551b6bdf971ea033669ac59ab2eb328e49f94c83.jpg

A New Calling
We're also planning to add a new Calling: Wealth. It's still in development and has to undergo a thorough testing phase, which means that while it will be available at character creation at the time of the launch, it may not be implemented all the way through, but rest assured: even what's left out will be coming to the game in a matter of one or two weeks. The challenge it poses comes from its appeal: as part of their win condition, players will be able to build their own outpost. Wealth will be coming as the second available Calling for new vagri, next to the already available Renown option. Changing from Freeplay to Renown or Wealth will be an option as well.

Centurion Edition
On October 5th, the Centurion Edition of Vagrus will be released. It includes the base game, Soundtracks, and the Patronage Pack at a special launch price. Those who already own the game base will be able to purchase the DLC individually as well.

108262641562e54203ef1ab56f5f62927aa3756b.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, we are 1 and a half days out from release so I suppose now might be a good time to post my cheatsheet of stuff I learned from the beta, as someone who played it a bunch for a week or so but otherwise was not a long-time player, so you can look at these as early lessons you'll either learn the hard way or want to know. I'm going to spoiler all of them, but the deeper spoiler will be for stuff you might want to find out for yourself for story/exploration reasons.

Your first hurdle is going to be establishing a profitable loop to increase your coin stockpile. Everything in this game operates off of an attrition/money loop. You need money for supplies, you need supplies to do anything, every day you're playing and moving around that is not generating profit is eating into your coin stockpile. And when you start off you have basically no buffer to rely on, so the first thing you're gonna want to do (and this will probably entail like the first few days of your gameplay, and by that I mean IRL days) is figure out the best way to do that.

There may be some creative alternatives but IMO there is really only one big moneymaker route early game, which is the highly dense Torrzag Shelter (TZS) > Quarries > Lumen, Arken, TZS loop. You start in TZS, get missions or cargo for the Quarries or Lumen, loop up to Lumen, then Arken, then TZS again. Density and interconnecting missions/cargo is highly important since any trip that is not directly involved in a profit is wasting resources.

This brings up "Tasks" (missions). Tasks are divided into trade & combat. You want to avoid combat until you're very well setup. Trade missions give you cargo for free, and have you deliver it to a destination. You get paid at the destination based on the distance & how quickly you delivered it. Manual trading (buy item low, move to place where it is high priced, sell) can sometimes be more efficient per cargo stack, but it's hard to overstate how convenient it is to "get" cargo for "free". And these tasks also increase your reputation with the associated faction. Since many tasks are gated by rep, you want to raise that rep (and hence do tasks) as early as possible. When reaching certain milestones with factions you'll get rewards. These are divided into items & buffs. The items are generally pretty mediocre and not worth having with one or two exceptions, but the buffs are incredible. They vary a lot between factions, with the best being free Resourcefulness increase and Authority increase (lets you have more deputies without spending character points). Anyway, this is the real reason you're going after rep & Tasks in the long-term.

Some thoughts on trading: The game teases it uses a complicated supply & demand system. In reality, it's pretty set in stone and operates off of some basic rules of thumb. If a trade good is not "in demand", it is almost never worth selling there. Goods that are "in demand" can be sold up to about 3-4 full stacks of that item before the price starts to diminish. Once it starts diminishing, it diminishes pretty fast, so once you start seeing the price change that's your cue to stop. Generally, this makes trading more of a space-filler in addition to Tasks than something you do 100% of the time, but there are some routes that are really lucrative and easy to operate (for example: Marble from Arken to TZS). There is no UI opposite of "in demand" (as in, "high supply"), but in practice this does exist. Some places have a ton of certain goods and sell them very cheap. You just have to learn what these places are. Keep in mind that just because a place has a ton of supply of something doesn't mean it is the best price. Sometimes there will be high supply but the price is mediocre. When in doubt, double check.

Here's my cheatlist list of trading goods and places I wrote down:

ON DEMAND

Avernum: Scrap Metal

Ash: Bone, Brightkelp, Dyes, Linen, Mushroom Beer

Deven: Brightkelp

Arken: Pottery, Obsidian

Lumen: Pottery

Acherus: Mushroom Beer

Drusian Quarry: Mushroom Beer (higher than Acherus)

Torzag: Marble

Mines of Plenty: Mushroom Beer, Dried Fruit

Mirage: Obsidian, Chitin

ON SALE

Larnak: Brightkelp

Drusian Quarry: Obsidian

Crimson Gate: Grain, Dyes, Chitin, Herbs

Torzag: Mushrooms, Mushroom Beer, Pottery

Arken: Marble

Once you look at the map, you'll probably notice a theme: the tightest density of in demand to high supply loops is right at the starting area, with the TZS/quarry/arken/lumen nexus. Buy Mushroom Beer/Pottery in Torzag, sell Mushroom Beer in Drusian Quarry, buy Obsidian there, take Pottery to Lumen or Arken, sell it, sell Obsidian at Arken, buy Marble at Arken, end up back at TZS and sell the Marble. Depending on your tasks RNG, you may not have much (or any) room for this trade cargo, or you may have nothing but room.

Crimson Gate has a bunch of stuff on supply, but it seems to be a trap in most recent build. It takes too much time/supplies to get out there, and there isn't really any profitable loops with it. I tried to make it work but could never figure it out.

One last note: the diminishing returns on selling a lot of the same trade good does not seem to apply to "faction deals". Faction deals are a certain amount of a stack of an item you can buy and sell in certain places if you have rep with the faction. Sometimes, the higher the rep, the better the price. You can also spend 1 rep per stack to get a slightly better deal. Overall, the price for buying or selling is slightly (like a rounding error slightly) worse than the going market rate, however this never diminishes, or rather it operates off of whatever the market rate currently is. So if you tank the market rate, it will be worse, but if you sell everything through faction deals you can sell a lot more of a single item without the price tanking. I'm not confident whether this is by design or just early access balance stuff, but take that as you will.

Some random errata you may want to know, but technically spoilery:
When you are given the choice to get companions for free in TZS... it's not a trap. Take them. The game is basically balanced around you getting them. In general, get as many companions for deputy bonuses as you can/want. Deputy bonuses aside from 1 or 2 bad ones are quite good to overpowered. Also, companions add their stats to yours for a ton of tests in dialogues, so... yeah. You want that.

You will hear people say the quest to get the dark elf companion in Deven is super expensive. This is slightly true, but not really. It is a heavy initial outlay, but they pay you back for the goods you deliver for the quest, so if you can afford it you basically don't lose much/anything in coins.

If you're wondering where to get better armaments/gear for your fighting crew... it's likely in Avernum. This place sells most metal gear. You can get the lower Bronze/Iron stuff in a few random places elsewhere, but if you're at the point where you want upgrades and you have good wealth, go to Avernum. It's in the NW end of the map.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Release the game already,i am jizzing me pants here!

You don't need much then.
All I see is another otherwise interesting game ruined by a lazy standard jrpg combat system.

I don't really get the comparison to JRPGs it reminds me of western games like Darkest Dungeon way more than JRPGs.
Nah,you don't get darth faggot up there. He spams every rpg thread bitching about how shit the game is and waits for attention,he is an attention whore troll. Best to just ignore his posts and move on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom