Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Trithne

Erudite
So is "Annoying ass NPC living in your head to provide monologues" going to be the new cool thing for next half a decade?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
At that point I would just get a very expensive wig and call it a day.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the game forces you to have bad hair and blame it on the lore.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Vampires can't cut their hair?
You can, for like 12 hours. Then it just grows back up. Satanic black magic, sick shit.
I assumed that since vampires are supposed to be dead, once it's gone it doesn't grow back, which would explain why nosferatu are all bald. Figured the other clans have some kind of dweomer to appear however they want to hypnotize victims.
The vampires are cursed to remain exactly like in the moment of death. With a few exceptions: The Nosferatu become ugly as part of their transformation (the balding is often, but not universal); the Gangrel develop bestial traits as they frenzy; the Tzimisce can reshape their own flesh and bones, as well as those of others - living and dead alike - at will.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also, despite how controversial he might have become, Brian Mitsoda was a big part of Bloodlines and his involvement with Hardsuit alleviated a lot of fears that the sequel would be nothing like the first game.

Fears that have returned in full force with THC.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This new attempt isn't looking very promising. I wonder how many on the team actually played the original.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I vaguely recall reading someone claim that Hardsuit pitched and made a game that played like a sequel to Bloodlines 2 more or less, but somewhere in the middle of development Paradox decided that it needed to be "modernized." Hardsuit/Cluney/Mitsoda just ignored that directive and kept making the game they pitched, leading to Paradox's anger when they got milestone builds that were no longer what they wanted.
I do wonder if "voiced protagonist" was one of these directives that stayed with the new version.

Hardsuit Labs had a weekly "How can we make this more like a Bloodlines" game which also at one point became "oh and also by the way so and so left but we got this new person." Not saying that what Hardsuit was making was going to be great or even good but an earnest attempt was made unlike what TCR has been ordered to build.

By the end, HSL had a build that I heard described as "absolutely volatile" but the whole game was playable from beginning to end. Not sure if it was salvageable but not being able to keep people certainly didn't help. And I don't know how or why but working with Mitsoda was apparently unpleasant. Hopefully one day we'll find out.

Also cringe, some of the devs on the official Bloodlines 2 discord would ERP just out in the open chat before they got the order to stay off the Discord forever.

On Paradox's part, the deal was set up so that they would give HSL most of the money after the game shipped hence they were getting budget problems in retaining people. I'm not sure who exactly is here to take most of the blame but for scope changes, I have heard that HSL leads would run to Paradox and promise all these big things without consulting the rest of the team which resulted in a crunch period that led to weekly meetings of "oh by the way, so-and-so left" and "sorry we can't pay you all that you're promised" and also pulling people off the team to do contract port support work on other games (which paid off, they're at Keywords and working on Fortnite) to keep the lights on and the game alive.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
nd I don't know how or why but working with Mitsoda was apparently unpleasant. Hopefully one day we'll find out.
Chair-kicking moment is additional evidence that my ancient source who told me that Mitsoda was an egotistical primadonna who was difficult to work with was on the level. :M
Yep yep yep. Also the fact that he rejected everything Chris Avellone submitted until Paradox wondered why they were even paying this guy to stick around.

Also cringe, some of the devs on the official Bloodlines 2 discord would ERP just out in the open chat before they got the order to stay off the Discord forever.
:what:
Imagine me saying 'what the fuck" like the sample used in EMF's Unbelievable that hilariously made it past radio and tv censors because no one hears it like that until they're told. Any particular names...?

The President

Educated
To paradox’s credit they do continually service their games and are known for adding some big dlcs. I wouldn’t expect them to do this with this game though as they aren’t developing in house.

Whoever said it’s probably thin blood alchemy that woke up the elder to kill other vampires is probably right on the money.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Came across this, supposedly from HSL's version. RIP.

1698959226504.png

The President

Educated
Yeah that is from the 2019 demo. Still on YouTube if you want to watch it. I do want to wait until January before I judge the new dialogue tree but for now I don’t think we’ll get anything close to that.

Wesp5

Arcane
Hardsuit Labs had a weekly "How can we make this more like a Bloodlines" game which also at one point became "oh and also by the way so and so left but we got this new person." Not saying that what Hardsuit was making was going to be great or even good but an earnest attempt was made unlike what TCR has been ordered to build.

By the end, HSL had a build that I heard described as "absolutely volatile" but the whole game was playable from beginning to end. Not sure if it was salvageable but not being able to keep people certainly didn't help. And I don't know how or why but working with Mitsoda was apparently unpleasant. Hopefully one day we'll find out.

On Paradox's part, the deal was set up so that they would give HSL most of the money after the game shipped hence they were getting budget problems in retaining people. I'm not sure who exactly is here to take most of the blame but for scope changes, I have heard that HSL leads would run to Paradox and promise all these big things without consulting the rest of the team which resulted in a crunch period that led to weekly meetings of "oh by the way, so-and-so left" and "sorry we can't pay you all that you're promised" and also pulling people off the team to do contract port support work on other games (which paid off, they're at Keywords and working on Fortnite) to keep the lights on and the game alive.
Sources?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's hope Fira is a Malk, and Fabio is "the voices in her head".

I'll give them my money, if the dyke jumps into a pyre going "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

Or just go South Park mode:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everyone was shitting on HSL and now you're crying after them? Make up your minds.
I always wanted to see the game with the original developer lineup, before it all fell apart. I couldn't find any old posts where I trashed Hardsuit.
Personally I still want to see what happens with this project. For the most part, it looks like they're trying to make more or less the game I want to see: a first-person RPG with dorky goth writing, tons of factions, and choice & consequence; with cool music and one or two sexy babes thrown in. While Mitsoda is older and perhaps mellower now, I still like him and I want to see what he comes up with. Now that he's no longer married we might even see some of his edge come back - maybe. Cara Ellison doesn't hit the perfect tone, but as a woman who's not shy about sexuality, I hope there might be some edginess on that score as well. Courtenay Taylor making a return is good news. Music so far seems not bad, the look of the graphics so far is not bad. The promise of multiple solutions to all missions is always welcome. Taken all together, and for the moment disregarding some of the stuff I'm not hyped about, I think that yes, this adds up to a game worth at least trying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom