Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
HoIIV have more concurrent daily players than Fallout 4, CivV and on par with Elden Ring and Terraria. People may not like how things were made in it but it is the most successful and profitable Paradox game so far.

thesecret1

Arcane
Huh? HoI might take place during a period of war, it is not a wargame but a GSG.
A shitty one, then.

HoIIV have more concurrent daily players than Fallout 4, CivV and on par with Elden Ring and Terraria. People may not like how things were made in it but it is the most successful and profitable Paradox game so far.
Ok, and...? Skyrim was also mega successful, doesn't mean it wasn't a shit RPG

Instead of flat map, the game should use a victorian era globus encased in a mahogany wood frame. It would be so cool and remove the problems with mercator projection or whatever they use.
Honestly, considering their push to 3D, I'm surprised Paradox has not adopted a proper 3D Globe projection so far. The projection they use has been causing problems for years.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So far every recent Paradox game has been a disappointment. Imperator: Dead on Arrival, HoI4: Memetic Warfare, CK3: Bland Mess... I'm not getting my hopes up
Imperator is a failure, yes.

But HoI4 is pretty good, at least with the right mods. Vanilla is fairly bland.
If you expect Slitherine levels of depth/realism, you won't get that, obviously. But then I'd say you are looking in the wrong place to begin with.
They do not really seem to understand their own mechanics, though, so DLCs tend to break as much as they improve.
So... overall, meh that can be made fun with mods?

CK3 succeeded in its goal to create a Medieval Sims Dynasty LARP sandbox.
Fails as an empire building game with economy and military, of course, but I don't think that was ever really their goal.
Wrong. The social simulation of CK3 is absolute refuse. Total garbage. Dumpster fire nonsense. Even the new Bastion/Friends And Foes additions still haven't given the game a proper social simulation. Need like 10 more DLCs at the rate they are going.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wrong. The social simulation of CK3 is absolute refuse. Total garbage. Dumpster fire nonsense. Even the new Bastion/Friends And Foes additions still haven't given the game a proper social simulation.
Whoawhoawhoa!
I said Sims LARP sandbox. Not social simulation :lol:

Stuff that lets you have fun LARPing around without putting too much thought and effort in.
Stuff that looks good on Twitch, but doesn't have to be too deep to be more casual accessible.

I find it hard to tell what Paradox is going for in each of their games, but if they indeed tried to go for a social simulation here, then yeah, they clearly failed.
I just don't think that's what they were trying to do.
But maybe I'm being too generous, they are trying to achieve something very deep, but perpetually fail at that.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I find it hard to tell what Paradox is going for in each of their games
It should be obvious, no?

CK is a definition of role-playing (or LARPing) as a medieval ruler. HoI4 is a wargame mixed with alternate history scenarios. Victoria 3's focus ought to be on global market/economy and socio-politics as they were interlinked and shaped the era.

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah I don't get it. Sheep described it well by saying that CK is Sims GSG. Because really, that's what it is. CK2 and CK3 aren't particularly difficult or tactical games. They are games of pick and choose from a large buffet of features to create your very specific medieval fantasy. It can be as vanilla as 'crusade for and become King of Jerusalem' to 'create the multi-ethnic merchant republic of the Khazar Rus'. CK3 went balls deep into that by making everything from culture to religious traditions modular. And then it hyper-charged lifestyles to complete the movement into Sims territory.

In that sense Vicky3 is Anno GSG.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Tragically, it’s still very tempting to get this. Nobody else is really making grand strategy games, and certainly not of this era. Paradox make such garbage now, but maybe this can be stitched up a bit with modding? I had to add in freaking nighttime lights and cities to Colombia in HOI4, but it was easy. But then, CK3 can’t be fixed with any amount of modding. Has anyone really followed the dev diaries?
Grey Eminence? Obviously not gonna be released before Vicky 3 but it is in the same era.
Great if it'd deliver on what it promises, but that's quite doubtful given that the devs are being overly ambitious for a new kid on the block. Still worth following (same as with Espiocracy).

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Wrong. The social simulation of CK3 is absolute refuse. Total garbage. Dumpster fire nonsense. Even the new Bastion/Friends And Foes additions still haven't given the game a proper social simulation.
Whoawhoawhoa!
I said Sims LARP sandbox. Not social simulation :lol:

Stuff that lets you have fun LARPing around without putting too much thought and effort in.
Stuff that looks good on Twitch, but doesn't have to be too deep to be more casual accessible.

I find it hard to tell what Paradox is going for in each of their games, but if they indeed tried to go for a social simulation here, then yeah, they clearly failed.
I just don't think that's what they were trying to do.
But maybe I'm being too generous, they are trying to achieve something very deep, but perpetually fail at that.
Okay with that specific definition I guess you are correct. The game itself doesn't support much but you can make up a story in your head off like the 2 details they provide.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yeah I don't get it. Sheep described it well by saying that CK is Sims GSG. Because really, that's what it is. CK2 and CK3 aren't particularly difficult or tactical games. They are games of pick and choose from a large buffet of features to create your very specific medieval fantasy. It can be as vanilla as 'crusade for and become King of Jerusalem' to 'create the multi-ethnic merchant republic of the Khazar Rus'. CK3 went balls deep into that by making everything from culture to religious traditions modular. And then it hyper-charged lifestyles to complete the movement into Sims territory.

In that sense Vicky3 is Anno GSG.
I mean you can click some radio buttons or w/e but the facade around all the fantasies is incredibly thin.

LizardWizard

Prophet
So far every recent Paradox game has been a disappointment. Imperator: Dead on Arrival, HoI4: Memetic Warfare, CK3: Bland Mess... I'm not getting my hopes up

If you expect Slitherine levels of depth/realism, you won't get that, obviously. But then I'd say you are looking in the wrong place to begin with.
They do not really seem to understand their own mechanics, though, so DLCs tend to break as much as they improve.

Fails as an empire building game with economy and military, of course, but I don't think that was ever really their goal.
Wrong. The social simulation of CK3 is absolute refuse. Total garbage. Dumpster fire nonsense. Even the new Bastion/Friends And Foes additions still haven't given the game a proper social simulation. Need like 10 more DLCs at the rate they are going.

Still better than your non-existent game

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Still better than your non-existent game
Yes, major studio AAA strategy game better than game that currently isn't released. They should put that in their marketing materials.

This game will be garbage save your cash for a deep discount.
Why anyone would provide such a wretched company with currency of any quantity is beyond me. Unless you suffer from advanced hyponoia and are severely lacking rectitude, what could possibly drive a man to, going further than to waste precious time on hoary misshapen works such as this, decide to spend a little less money than the release date asking price rather than getting it without contributing to the sorry state of digital entertainment. Is it not bad enough to engage with this mindrot?

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'll tell you why. You buy this for 2,5 EUR and you get access to all workshop mods. These mods are shared between your legit barebones copy and your pirated full dlc copy. I do this with hoi 4 as well.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'll tell you why. You buy this for 2,5 EUR and you get access to all workshop mods. These mods are shared between your legit barebones copy and your pirated full dlc copy. I do this with hoi 4 as well.
You can access Steam Workshop with SteamCMD. I do it all the time with games I have on GOG. :lol:

Commands are:

login anonymous

workshop_download_item <game Steam ID> <workshop item number>

So you're supporting not only Paradox but also walled modifications? Even worse then, paying for mods is a dreadful practice.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Easy access to mods is nice, but it's also to reward their hard work. With 2,5 EUR

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Easy access to mods is nice, but it's also to reward their hard work. With 2,5 EUR
You are inferring that they actually do work. I know for a fact that they do not. As evidenced with how shitty their products are and slow release schedule.

I don't begrudge you for supporting them. It's your choice and your money.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Nigfy Did I mention that the devs hang out with troons on a secret discord?
Can you explain because that sounds insane

Pink Panzer and its group went from HOI4 to CK3. Pink Panzer is a troon. It runs a Discord where all the CK3 devs hung out on to make fun of all of the players that had complaints about the same sex marriage outcry. The only way to contact the devs is on the troons discord.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom