Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I looked at few videos, and WTF are they doing? Frankly if Paradox have problem with lead designer, they can simply hire me for 600 USD monthly + taxes (for about 6-8 months), and give me special + allowance for higher energy prices. (I'd try to push them into direction to make the result at least feel like Victoria.)

Basically this is screwed up game. It took me only hour of watching Victoria 3 to see:
-War that never ends.
-Extremely bad combat.
-Troops that are teleporting to the combat area.
-Crazy migrations that fucking VIOLATES history and principles these states were based upon (and which made them powerful).

Ugghhhhhhhhh. I hate money, but frankly I'd need some to buy chocolates to get my stomach to better shape after stress from WATCHING Victoria 3, and dentist fees to repair consequences after chocolates.

Frankly what did we expect after trainwrecks that are HoI4 DLCs? Naval system DLC destroyed naval combat. Spy DLC make spying obnoxious.
What this team could do with Victoria game? New imperator game in different costume? Calling it Victoria...

Some reviewers are calling it Alpha release. Would 12 DLC turn it into Beta release? We would see.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

DO77SKKU8AADk-3

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I have to click 5 times to get to pop need, and still cant find data for pop needs for whole group.

Paradox should really add in some kind of a screen that'd list all the needs a pop has per wealth level, right now it's a mess where you have to tediously click through tooltips to gradually learn what your pops want. The easiest way to manage pop needs right now is to check the living standard of the strata you're interested in, find a pop that has roughly the same wealth level as the average listed, and check his needs. Fulfill those and you'll see the whole strata moving up in living standards.
Rich people in Lebanon wanna sheep. Rich people in UK wanna IPhone. Frankly screen like that wouldn't work that well. Normally in games like Victoria, pops when they have money buys, or steals, that goat. And they are happy Lebanon primitive people.
They buy the iphone and impoverish themselves so badly they don't pay any noticeable taxes. And then you wondering why are you playing UK instead of more sensible primitive Lebanon people that only wants goat as luxury. (and perhaps TV)

The catch is Victoria 3 doesn't simulate differences, they show all country as unified mixed populations that wants the same, that behaves the same, that are equally smart. Basically, playing a random goat herders in Africa, or high end empire like someone from Europe isn't big difference.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
conflict.jpg

Political and social conflict in a rapidly industrializing German microstate? lol no, it's Woodstock 1846

Trithne

Erudite
What are the chances this is abandoned like the DOA Imperator?
Slim, tbh. This is a sequel to a genre darling, and pdx has definitely been promoting this as a flagship title. Imperator was always an experiment, looking to see if there was space for another product line for them.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Where can i see demands of other markets? How the fuck i can plan production when i dont know what france, prussia or russia needs or can export?

The same way you can see yours. You click on one of their states, then hit the go to market button.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
What are the chances this is abandoned like the DOA Imperator?
Slim, tbh. This is a sequel to a genre darling, and pdx has definitely been promoting this as a flagship title. Imperator was always an experiment, looking to see if there was space for another product line for them.
There was though! Imperator could have been so good! Johan ruined it...

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
They poured so much into graphical design
I don't think they did honestly. Most of the works clearly gone into the icons, the motifs for all we know could be assets they've bought, there are a lot of victorian motifs out there for sale dirt cheap. To be fair I don't blame them if they did, the assets out there look amazing and better than most game artists can pull off in a short period of time so why not.
The rest of it is basic photoshop, Hard embossing your circular buttons [CHECK], Overlays on things to give them fake texturing [CHECK], if all else fails some transparent full coloured photos behind everything makes it look less flat [CHECK], Good font choices doing most of the work for you [CHECK].
I still think Vicky 2's works better because its intended to give lots of information in a condensed space. The only thing Vicky 2 did wrong was that the icons were just copied from Vicky 1 so even in that game they look old. This is the first time in what like 2 decades they redesigned anything for victoria's UI.

thesecret1

Arcane
The UI is pretty fucking bad, tbh. Everything is big as fuck so I need to scroll constantly, vital info is hidden behind several clicks, or even in fucking tooltips, and it all looks like it's meant for tablets. I also don't get Paradox's obsession with hideous 3D models. What's wrong with stylized 2D portraits like in CK2?

Trithne

Erudite
The UI is pretty fucking bad, tbh. Everything is big as fuck so I need to scroll constantly, vital info is hidden behind several clicks, or even in fucking tooltips, and it all looks like it's meant for tablets. I also don't get Paradox's obsession with hideous 3D models. What's wrong with stylized 2D portraits like in CK2?

Huh. Apparently I can't embed just the dlc in question.

Anyway, clothing packs.

So it's just as shitty as I always imagined it was going to be, but for a moment all the dev diaries and the propaganda from influencers gave me a sliver of hope.

thesecret1

Arcane

Huh. Apparently I can't embed just the slc in question.

Anyway, clothing packs.

Absolutely disgusting

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Nobody gives a shit about all the Reddit shitposting about Steam reviews or the loading screen or whatever. Does the factory / policy stuff work any better (or work at all) re. V2?
Theres no production tab with summary, only building tab. You cant see a summary of how much of each goods you are producing. Theres only production profitability seen at a glance.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i like the more granular control of your economy and production but the ui is considerably worse in certain spots. the diplomacy ui comes to mind; in vicky 2, it's nice and simple and everything is clearly communicated to you. in vicky 3, it takes up too much screen real estate and you have to actively hunt for what you want

thesecret1

Arcane
Nobody gives a shit about all the Reddit shitposting about Steam reviews or the loading screen or whatever. Does the factory / policy stuff work any better (or work at all) re. V2?
Theres no production tab with summary, only building tab. You cant see a summary of how much of each goods you are producing. Theres only production profitability seen at a glance.
You can, actually. Check the market screen sell orders. That's how much of a good you're producing. Hover over it for a breakdown

Tyrr

Liturgist
Victoria 3 was the best thing that could happen to Stellaris.
When Martin Anward left the Stellaris team to become the Vic3 game director. It took them like a year to clean up the mess thou.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I’m having trouble with the terrible expense of construction, even using the basic production method. Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Really what the fucking shit UI design. I got great power status and exited the british market as belgium. I didnt notice what was going on, and my economy was tanking for a year. Why they couldn't fucking use color coded notifications like EU4?

thesecret1

Arcane
I’m having trouble with the terrible expense of construction, even using the basic production method. Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?
Intentional. Use the fact that you can stockpile money and spend your gold reserves on it (debt sucks because interest). You can also make it much cheaper by producing a surplus of goods used for construction, tanking their price. Changing tax system to something better than land tax will likely give you enough money to be in the green even while constructing, so aim for that. Also consider adding some consumption taxes or, if there really is no other way, raising taxes in general. You should always be building something, tho you don't want to accrue debt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom