Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
First thing I see is some serious crap that needs to be fixed by a mod.
ahistoricalshit.jpg

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
WA was already established by 1836, and SA should be too, or within the year by event.
It's correct except for SA's borders and the flag is roughly 50 years too early. Their borders for WA are wrong.
But at least they're there unlike Vicky2. One thing I did like though is Victoria can get annoyed with NSW and opt to either split them or gift them to one of the other states which is sort of accurate, its why NT was given to SA historically.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The fact that the game heavily relies on Mana just shits me off to no end. Arch is right this is another Imperator.
Money having a cap makes no sense, what do they do just throw the money out? If this was Vicky2 the excess money would be invested into a state bank and used to give out loans for CBs. There's no reason to generate surpluses.
What a terrible demo wink wink.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is there a way to see what goods you produce and which goods you need on a country level.

Last edited:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
WA was already established by 1836, and SA should be too, or within the year by event.
It's correct except for SA's borders and the flag is roughly 50 years too early. Their borders for WA are wrong.
But at least they're there unlike Vicky2. One thing I did like though is Victoria can get annoyed with NSW and opt to either split them or gift them to one of the other states which is sort of accurate, its why NT was given to SA historically.
South Africa is similarly anachronistic, but that's fine (fun) until such a time as a proper DLC is released.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I tried a quick game as Afghanistan last night and went for about 30 years.

Mostly just playing to see how things work (what tutorial?) and I am pleased and enjoyed myself so far.

I wound up failing because my traditional government type was too tax inefficient, so even though I was able to build some industries up (Afghanistan had the basic wood, iron, coal, cotton, needed for much early industry) I wound up killing my budget by doing even a modest expansion of the bureaucracy and construction industry and not being able to generate enough taxes to support paying for the government and paying for active construction at the same time.

There were some government reforms and laws that would be helpful for improving my economic and tax performance, but in trying to get them I did cause a massive landowner revolution (that included more than half of my military) by just reforming from Landed Voting to Wealth Voting. You definitely have to break their power base first before you do any major reforms they disprove of. I should have ended serfdom first maybe, although that was harder to pass, and they probably would have been quite unhappy with that, too.

Although, one potential problem I could see for a large country is building micromanagement. A three state Afghanistan (after attacking my neighbors) wasn't that bad, but I could see how it would take a lot of micromanagement for a much larger country. They do have some automation tools like turning on auto expansion for each building and ways to adjust the building settings for all buildings of the same type. Maybe those will make it a bit easier to manage.

I wasn't able to do much with trade though as a landlocked country, except for near the end where I had expanded to the coast, so I will definitely pick a country with a coast for my next game to try that out more. Leaning towards a country in SE Asia, maybe Siam.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Whoever did the UI engine should be fired immediately. Paradox having a modern game engine and the power of mouse and keyboard should had done a far better job. Columns, tables, pinnable elements, shortcuts, favourites, composite data. I have to click 5 times to get to pop need, and still cant find data for pop needs for whole group. Can't find profitability indicators. This is a hot mess, and the 3D models and the overall size of the UI detract from enjoying this or doing anything serious and planned. This will be another imperator, where they will redesign shit and release 2.0 version. There's really no way around it, the tards who honeymoon this because they sank money are the worst kind of people -the paradrones.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
UI is actively fighting against player. I dont really have idea how the economy works ie. demand/supply and exchange of goods with these closed markets[where its supposedly all simulated] within a sphere, that only interact with other spheres through these manually asigned trade deals. That's a simplification of what we had in Vic 2, really the common market in vic 2 meant only the priority of resources[import/export] allocation, and not a closed system with some arbitrary trade deals between markets. You just set import/export duties in vic 2, why they didn't make it so in vic 3? Why they added these arbitrary trade deals and lack of full simulation of market? With modern PCs we could had goods flow simulated way better than before, with each goods traveling from place of origin, bought along its way, and naturally would not find its way in opposite part of the globe, unless player made a direct deal with said country. Just why? And why the aversion to spreadsheetiness - spreadsheetines is good where it needs to be, and visual fidelity is good where it doesn't obstruct information. Leave spreadsheetiness in economy, and add visual glitter in armies, map, provinces etc. Why they had to make UI "pretty"[which is discussable], form for the sake of form? Why UI scaling make the UI proportionally smaller or larger, instead of showing more stuff in the scrollable for people with 4k screens?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Paradox event system in fine form. Someone posted a screenshot on Reddit of their general porking his wife and all the French freaking out. Also they used destitute as a verb and also it makes no sense in context anyways? Who fucks up their English translation good lord.

pickmeister

Learned
Paradox event system in fine form. Someone posted a screenshot on Reddit of their general porking his wife and all the French freaking out. Also they used destitute as a verb and also it makes no sense in context anyways? Who fucks up their English translation good lord.
Are you sure it's a translation? The people's capability of using a language is deteriorating faster than ever before.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did you know that hordes of gooks worked at swedish factories in the middle of XIX century?

QyHdWep.jpg

Eh they could have, seeing how many of them were working in USA during this time period. Certainly not impossible, chinks are the more believable minority.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
They poured so much into graphical design and couldnt make a template for at least three races for each event?

You’re right, but it’s a victim of the same senseless cost inflation you see absolutely everywhere now. To get that done in 1995 would have cost nothing, now it’s seen as prohibitive. Hopefully a mod can fix that, it does take you out of immersion in your country a bit.

Harthwain

Magister
So what does this scene represent?

victoria3-1664559689544.jpg

Looks incredibly cringe.
The building looks somewhat like the St Paul's Cathedral.

260393_4316325075_8c37be828a_83.jpg.webp

Not sure what the flag on the right is supposed to represent, as it is not very detailed, but we have black people cheering too, so it could be taking place in England, after the proclamation of the Slavery Abolition Act (1833).

I could be totally wrong about the time, the place and the event though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom