Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Victoria 3

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Steam reviews are 'mostly positive', with the negatives all complaining about warfare automation and lack of depth. The positives are mostly memes. Sounds like it's best to wait for DLC and get this as cheaply as possible, if at all.
haha that's what I expected

Thorgeim

Educated
I tried the game for a bit but it just feels disappointing, not sure if for a particular reason. But it looks too... cartoony maybe? I dunno. Underneath is just a min/max simulator, it doesnt really have a soul, or rather the nations. War is probably the worst part, the frontline mechanic actually isnt a bad idea, if only I had a bit more (more than a bit) control, if warfare was better I would have given it a chance, now it will be refunded.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What's the point of having 3d models if they look nothing like their real life counterparts?
fs9g5mqx6zv91.png

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Kinda wanna pirate this game. I could see myself playing like 5-15 hours and having fun but then after that being done. Sadly demo time on steam only 2 hours. Let me pay a dollar for a 15 hour license.

Actually I think the subscription system is good. $5 a month for everything would be a great deal just I'd only play that one month. Probably they won't let us do that until like 10 years in cause no one would pay the $200 for the full suite of DLCs if they added a sub system.

Tigranes

Arcane
Kinda wanna pirate this game. I could see myself playing like 5-15 hours and having fun but then after that being done. Sadly demo time on steam only 2 hours. Let me pay a dollar for a 15 hour license.

Actually I think the subscription system is good. $5 a month for everything would be a great deal just I'd only play that one month. Probably they won't let us do that until like 10 years in cause no one would pay the $200 for the full suite of DLCs if they added a sub system.
Isn't that.... Gamepass?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Isn't that.... Gamepass?
Only if you pay for an XBox?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
"The lack of substance from some of these reviews really makes me respect the skill needed to actually assess a complex game like Victoria 3."

:bioware:

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
"Victoria 3 does for simulated economics what Crusader Kings 3 did for playing fuck, marry, kill with medieval popes"

:nocountryforshitposters:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So far it sounds really promising. I am okay with the changes to war. Aside form HOI 2 and 3 (4 sadly went off the rails and became my most disappointing Paradox game ever), combat in Paradox games has always been kind of weirdly abstracted and annoying with having to repeatedly chase down defeated armies. I am willing to give a different type of abstraction a go, especially in a franchise like Victoria 2 where there is so much of a greater emphasis on economics and politics.

The other complaints seem to focus on ahistoricalness, but I have always been on the side of simulation rather than railroading historical events since that debate began during EU3 development. I don't really care much about minor historical inaccuracies (especially when they are abstractions for the sake of better gameplay), and I think the AI frequently diverging from history is a plus since it allows for better replayability.

There seems to be a lot of praise for the core economic and political systems being well executed, which gets me excited. Even though it is steam exclusive, I think I am going to give it a buy today.

Despite their increased focus on multiplayer that led to HOI4 being such a stinker and their ridiculous DLC model (I want to go back to the system of fewer larger expansions and moving on to developing the next games sooner) I have generally been pleased by the new generation of Paradox games.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

Isn't that.... Gamepass?
Uhhhh no, man. Look it up.

So, my first impression on opening the game is that I really fucking wish they had fixed the "forced terrain map" problem from the leak. When you zoom in, the (rather nice looking) paper world map is replaced with a 3D terrain map. And it looks like shit. Way too visually cluttered, borders are hard to make out. I say forced because I KNOW why they did this - they really like their terrain map and are butthurt that in every game they make people stick to the useful map modes like political instead of looking at the terrain map. So they decided to just force it on their players.

The camera angle also gets too shallow way too fast, again probably because "LOOK AT ALL THE 3D MAP OBJECTS WE MADE LOOK AT THEM YOU PIECE OF SHIT!"

The result of this is that I just don't want to zoom in. But then clicking on small countries is a pain, and I'd rather be zoomed in closer... except I can't because if I zoom in closer it switches to the godawful terrain mode.

Anyone figure out a way to force the game to stay to the 2D map?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Trying Vic 2 a bit, but is the great power AI supposed to be passive? I am just playing to just get things through and process but it seems the UK, Nederland, Russia, and other are just chilling starting from 1850 - 1880ish. Like literally no big war happening. Even if they get in a fight, it is over in 2 month, back to peace and just there is not much conflict at all unless the player is driving it.

Anyways, started a game as Prussia. In V2, because of the way population growth works, the best first research is almost always Medicine. I didn't see that here, but knowing how German unification works in V3 (kind of) I decided to beeline for Nationalism / Pan-Nationalism in the hopes of scooping up various minors by event & being in a better position versus Austria. My other goals are hopefully to acquire treaty ports, and of course, to build up industry. I assume pop growth may be somewhat similar to V2 so I do want to buff my healthcare system eventually, which means I'll research Pharmaceuticals later, but I need some political reforms before I can do that, so I'm researching Nationalism first.

I added an import route for Iron from Austria, export route for Fertilizer to a few of my neighbours, and declared interest routes in a few parts of Africa. Fairly early on Shewa asked for my backing in a diplomatic play against Wello; no idea what the play is (I'd assume annexation since they're Ethiopia and the whole zemene mesafint thing was going on back then) but decided to accept. I couldn't figure out a way to send forces and perhaps it's not allowed, but I did bankroll them. Also, apparently you can't... demobilize a mobilized general? What? I don't know if I was missing a button somewhere but looking it up online I couldn't find anything either. So I had to reload. The game showed Shewa at a disadvantage but they eventually won. Decided to keep bankrolling and improving relations, will see if I can help them unite Ethiopia and then either vassalize it or get it into my customs union.

Also moved one of my interests to North Africa to try to nab some treaty ports from Morocco, and started buttering up France. If I can get away with unifying Germany without taking Elsaß-Lothringen, I'll do it. They currently have a Conciliatory attitude towards me, so hopefully I can be friends with them. I also don't want them interfering in my (planned) aggression against Morocco, of course.

Trying Vic 2 a bit, but is the great power AI supposed to be passive? I am just playing to just get things through and process but it seems the UK, Nederland, Russia, and other are just chilling starting from 1850 - 1880ish. Like literally no big war happening. Even if they get in a fight, it is over in 2 month, back to peace and just there is not much conflict at all unless the player is driving it.

Somewhat. They'll be more aggressive later on as techs unlock cheaper CBs against uncivs, the Scramble for Africa happens, etc. If you have mods most of them also disable crises until 1870. The early portions of Vicky 2's time period were relatively peaceful and stable. Vanilla might be a bit fucked.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I'm definitely expecting them to have to backflip on the military systems at some point it definitely seems to be the more controversial feature.
Its also strange that they went with the CK/EU approach where buildings are important.
Like it seems as though there were multiple teams and none of them agreed on what they should base the systems on, so we've ended up with this weird combination of CK, EU and Vicky.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Isn't that.... Gamepass?
Uhhhh no, man. Look it up.
As everyone knows I run Windows 7 so no Gamepass for me.

None

Arbiter
So, my first impression on opening the game is that I really fucking wish they had fixed the "forced terrain map" problem from the leak. When you zoom in, the (rather nice looking) paper world map is replaced with a 3D terrain map. And it looks like shit. Way too visually cluttered, borders are hard to make out. I say forced because I KNOW why they did this - they really like their terrain map and are butthurt that in every game they make people stick to the useful map modes like political instead of looking at the terrain map. So they decided to just force it on their players.

The camera angle also gets too shallow way too fast, again probably because "LOOK AT ALL THE 3D MAP OBJECTS WE MADE LOOK AT THEM YOU PIECE OF SHIT!"

The result of this is that I just don't want to zoom in. But then clicking on small countries is a pain, and I'd rather be zoomed in closer... except I can't because if I zoom in closer it switches to the godawful terrain mode.

Anyone figure out a way to force the game to stay to the 2D map?
If there is a defines file check there. I know in HOI4 you could change these things, not sure about the newer titles.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
No, I usually get massive wars in Europe.

Reina

Arcane
I played the game for hours yesterday, together with my hubby; we both like it quite a bit.

Things to dislike:

- interface, too much space is spent on graphical thingies, and not enough for data I need (factory employment!!)
- the building system, just as I feared, is kinda cumbersome too. It's difficult to manage everything as Sweden, I can imagine it'd be a nightmare in likes of British Empire.
- military system. I don't mind abstraction, and the military aspect was also the weakest side of Victoria 2 (though, surprisingly, not Victoria 1, where it was quite neat), but here it's a bit too abstract.

Overall though, it's quite ambitious for a paradox game and a great foundation. I'm looking forwards to what modders do with this.

So apparently my invasions of Morocco are failing due to "insufficient naval support". I don't know if I just need a bigger fleet or something. I guess I could just be pacifist, but I do want to have some naval bases around the world.

Trithne

Erudite
The only thing they got right was that you can play as individual states of Australia.
Everything else they got wrong LOL.
They didn't even get that right, they just lumped the whole thing in as NSW last time I saw it. WA was already established by 1836, and SA should be too, or within the year by event.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom