Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

EvilWolf

Learned
Strawman will strawman.
Literally just scroll up, from your post, for an example of their Mary Sue status. Melting a space marine, let alone a Chaos space marine, with a single burst of ion fire isn't Mary Sue status? Okay.

Trithne

Erudite
Strawman will strawman.
Literally just scroll up, from your post, for an example of their Mary Sue status. Melting a space marine, let alone a Chaos space marine, with a single burst of ion fire isn't Mary Sue status? Okay.

Space Marines are just bigger tougher faster humans in Power Armour. As tough as an Ork, as quick as an Eldar. They're not god-warriors. They die just fine. It's the combination of strong, tough, fast, skilled, and armoured that make them the best, rather than having one or two like Orks/Eldar.

Also, if you take the current version of the tabletop rules:

A Tau Fire Warrior (BS 4+) is armed with a Pulse Rifle (36" S5 AP-1 RF1) and shoots at a Space Marine (T4 W2 Sv3+).

The Fire Warrior has a 50% chance to even hit the target to begin with. Then comparing S5 vs T4, they need a 3+ to wound them (66%). Assuming they wound, the Marine now gets a 3+ Armour Save, which would be modified to 4+ by the Pulse Rifle's AP, but Marine Armour ignores the first point of AP so they still get the 3+ (33% chance of the wound sticking). Now assuming that fails, you've dealt 1 Wound to the Space Marine. He has 2. Do it again.

0.5 * 0.66 * 0.33 = 0.1% chance for a given Fire Warrior to wound a Space Marine with their rifle once.

So no, Tau are mechanically fine. On the other hand, GW writers have spent the last 10 years believing the shit they write about Marines and crawling up their asses. Let's not even start on Primaris Marines, the Suest of Sues.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The "power level" of the average astartes is one of the most inconsistent details in 40k.

Gameplaywise on the tabletop, one space marine is worth a bunch of guardsmen. Okay, makes sense, since you don't want to have an army of only like 10 models (like custodes).

In the lore, they range from anywhere between being just a tall dude in power armor, to invincible demi-gods capable of conquering entire worlds by themselves.

But let's be logical about this. Setting aside how many John Wick skills an Astartes has, their standard equipment is: power armor and bolter.

How strong is power armor? Very strong. But still weaker than most vehicles, both in gameplay and in lore. Same with the bolter, your standard Rhino with twinlinked bolter already outguns the average space marine.

Any of the Tau battlesuits should, on the face of armor and weapons, be more than a match for a single astartes. Forget the source, but I remember Crisis suits being compared to terminator armor, except lighter and basically better in every way.

So how much of a resource cost is a battlesuit compared to the training and outfitting of a space marine? Presumably, much much cheaper.

So while the average firewarrior may have trouble downing a space marine, their mass produced gundam knockoffs definitely can. Astartes are not great in cost efficiency.

Their elite, grimdark badass meme status should not be taken at face value. It's like how their bolters don't have sights on them, the original bolters looking like they were made by somebody with no gun knowledge, and using something as impractical as a chainsword.

It's part of the satire.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now, "I got transformed into dust by a nerd wearing dress". Then everyone will mock you forever and ever, this is why SOME casters wear dress. The wizard of Grey Order doesn't need to worry about it as they are masters of illusion
How would you know? Nerds in dresses never get into Valhalla.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
75moudjhqlbz.jpg

Peachcurl

Cipher
Strawman will strawman.
I'm not defending the Tau. I'm saying there's not much love for the Tau on the Codex. Which is what rusty was going on about.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
They have to get more recruits somehow, after all.
There's war orphans for a reason. :smug:

Interestingly enough, war orphans in 40k generally have a better life than the vast majority of human population, as they are raised in the Schola Progenium. A tough-as-balls catholic boarding school that trains children for prestigious careers in the Officio Prefectus (commissars), Adepta Sororitas and even occasionally the Inquisition, among other such lofty roles.

While entrance to the schola is generally for the orphaned children of officers or nobles, it is not unknown for those of lower class to find their way there as well.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What about civilian gun ownership in the imperium? Can civilians own "sci fi" pistols? Rifles? Armored vehicles? spaceships & cannons?
With all the hive gangs going apeshit, yeah, probably.
Just not any advanced imperial gear and weaponry, that's for sure.
None of the 40k writers bothered with this, to my knowledge. The answer likely depends where you live and how much money/power you have. It's probably generally assumed that if you need a gun and have access to guns, you probably can have a gun.

After all, guns allow you to purge the xenos, heretic and mutant more effectively.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some of the underhive gangs on Necromunda have pretty high tech gear including plasma and melta weapons, even the lowest underhive scumbag will have access to tons of solid projectile weapons and probably to las weapons too. I dont think I have ever seen anything on gun regulation in general anywhere in the Imperium, though in general I would assume that people tend to be armed to the teeth unless they are slaves or live under similar degree of control (and that seems to be a relative minority). After all, underhives are very dangerous and even less hardcore places like various agriworlds probably have all kinds of dangerous animals and stuff like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom