Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Can I romance Nurgle?

One of the biggest chad moves in all of 40k would be successfully romancing the god of decay.

#romanceNurglenow

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can I romance Nurgle?

One of the biggest chad moves in all of 40k would be successfully romancing the god of decay.

#romanceNurglenow

Nah, give me WH40K version of trad-wife!

x8iMCIL.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The reddit crowd is truly atrocious. All they ever talk about is romance. The worst thing is that the community managers of Owlcat and some writers regularly interact with them. It's like the BSN all over again.
As bad as reddit can be, I assure you that any given discord is much, much worse.

skaraher

Prophet
The reddit crowd is truly atrocious. All they ever talk about is romance. The worst thing is that the community managers of Owlcat and some writers regularly interact with them. It's like the BSN all over again.
As bad as reddit can be, I assure you that any given discord is much, much worse.

I dunno, only discords I'm in are French-langage and about sport training or chess, I purposedly try to avoid the pozzfest of modern TTRPG and modding communities crowd.

S.torch

Liturgist
I was viewing the last dev diary of the game and is really looking cool. Especially when you compare it to the "diaries" of a lot of developers who never tell you anything and try to impress every second as if you have an attention deficit. In this case what I saw was interesting, and there is a concern for introducing people to the world of Warhammer 40k.

I really hope the Russians keep on the right track with this. If they do it right they might get more opportunities to make more games in the world, as I understand Warhammer has several systems that can be adapted from.

My only slight complaint is how things were presented. I feel the way they described The Imperium was kind of unsubtle.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I wasn't aware Heretic Marines were in it for the sex? Except Slaaneshfags of course.

I don't know if they changed it, but old lore said that astartes don't really do sex or have urges for it at all.

Presumably, this is to keep them on the straight and narrow, focused on war and all that. It makes sense for the Emprah to program abstinence in, since sex probably gets in the way.

This is why slanneshi marines tend to get more into music or the arts (including martial arts like fencing) rather than just being all rapey-rapey.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I wasn't aware Heretic Marines were in it for the sex? Except Slaaneshfags of course.

I don't know if they changed it, but old lore said that astartes don't really do sex or have urges for it at all.

Presumably, this is to keep them on the straight and narrow, focused on war and all that. It makes sense for the Emprah to program abstinence in, since sex probably gets in the way.

This is why slanneshi marines tend to get more into music or the arts (including martial arts like fencing) rather than just being all rapey-rapey.
Only combat and war stimulates an Astartes. They are also sterile.
I think the fluff has always been that the Emperor loathed the idea of genetically engineered organisms designed by Him and humanity being capable of reproducing.
Only baseline humans should have that right.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is established lore about a specific Space Wolf character (a Blood Claw, the name eludes me atm) who is famous on Fenris for fucking all the local women (this was specifically mentioned in a Space Wolves codex), so at least some can and want to fuck, they cannot have children though. Which makes me a bit suspicous of the Space Wolves being chosen as the chapter to be present in the game tbh fam...

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is established lore about a specific Space Wolf character (a Blood Claw, the name eludes me atm) who is famous on Fenris for fucking all the local women (this was specifically mentioned in a Space Wolves codex), so at least some can and want to fuck, they cannot have children though. Which makes me a bit suspicous of the Space Wolves being chosen as the chapter to be present in the game tbh fam...
I think he is called White Wolf ;)

EvilWolf

Learned
If I remember correctly there were caveats on this like the character belonging to the clan but not actually being an astartes at that point in time. Admittedly, I'm not that much of a 40k lore buff, but aren't the Space Wolves special in that they aren't actually genetically based on TGE but just a bunch of apex humans from a planet that underwent "astartification"?

Elttharion

Learned
That would be Lukas the Trickster afaik, tho I am not sure if he is supossed to be having sex before or after becoming a space marine, I dont have the novel on hand but I remember they met his descendants at some point in one of the fenris tribes, tho its implied he fathered them before his ascension. He also evades a question from another space marine asking him if he is still having sex, so its left ambiguous if he is still doing the deed or if he is just trolling the other wolves. Bjorn also compliments the beauty of a female fenrisian inquisitor when he meets her, and that is way after he is interred in his dreadnought chassis, tho this surprises the inquisitors companion and he wonder if space marines are, or were, different in that regard, implying that this is a novel experience for him. Ragnar also feels something close to attraction to a woman who is trying to seduce, tho its for only a short time and he quickly suppresses his emotions and this is never mentioned again. He is also surprised that he can still feel this way, meaning this isnt a common reaction.

There is one passage in the novels were a woman bathes with a space marine, a grey knight no less iirc, and laments the fact that his giant manhood or something like that is wasted on someone like him, implying he has no sexual desire but also confirming that at least not all space marines are physically castrated. The space marine himself is puzzled by her comment and doesnt understand she is admiring his body sexually.

There is also a passage in an Emperors Children novel were they are in a concert alongside normal humans, when it becomes a Slaanesh daemon summoning ritual and all present are influenced by chaos the regular humans start an orgy whereas the space marines start killing everything on sight. Its mentioned this is how they express the raw emotions they are feeling at that momment, meaning that not even the Slaanesh aligned legion consider engaging in sexual acts. Otoh there is a passage were its mentioned they engaged in 'a mad orgy of rape, terror and mutilation' during the siege of Terra.

Imho the space marines should not have a sexual or romantic drive, because either due to indocrination or due to the own nature of their geneseed those aspects are supressed, if not outright erased. They should be killing machines first and foremost.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Do we know what is the exact time period for the game?

I assuem it's before Guilliman wakes up?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do we know what is the exact time period for the game?

I assuem it's before Guilliman wakes up?

Should be set way before current 40K timeline. The timeline for Calixis sector ends in 815.M41 with a series of adventures called Apostasy Gambit that most likely end in a sector-wide civil war as a demon re-animates the body of Saint Drusus and part of the sector gets fooled into following him. In the game there are plenty of references to Calixis sector (the nearest Imperial sector that serves as an entry point to the Koronus expanse) and I dont remember anybody implying that there is a major ongoing war happening there.

Also the whole range of Fantasy Flight 40K PnP games was done long before the current timeline shift, so I dont think the devs would move the game so far out of 800s.M41 range.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never liked the Space Wolves that much. They are alright, I guess, but they are either represented as total Mary Sues or viking cosplayers who overly use the word wolf.
That one time when they were truly badass was during the War of Armageddon when they stood up to the Inquisition and got into a major fight with them and those uppity Grey Knights fucks.

lightbane

Arcane
Imho the space marines should not have a sexual or romantic drive, because either due to indocrination or due to the own nature of their geneseed those aspects are supressed, if not outright erased. They should be killing machines first and foremost.
They are, but their culture and/or Chaos mutations will change that. Sallymanders have families they care for before their ascension and still do afterwards, making them somewhat more human and less likely to go insane due endless war and/or Chaos corruption.

Peachcurl

Arcane
and the inquisition + grey knights look like bumbling idiots.
That's because they already are.
An inquisitor may have close to unlimited authority, and might occasionally abuse that authority to do something retarded. But doing something that retarded should at some point be regulated by other inquisitors stepping in. Especially when one of their main assets (grey knights) is involved in large numbers. The fact that this all plays out the way it does, on this scale, makes no sense to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom