Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I think this setting suits Owlcat's style really well

Rare opinion. Why do you think that?
I should have been more specific, I mean style in terms of writing and tone rather than visuals, I have no eye for art style at all.

I think when Owlcat try to write 'good' characters they end up with something bland and when they try to be light-hearted it's hit and miss, they're at their best writing morally grey (even morally black) characters making difficult and sometimes bad decisions in environments that don't necessarily reward you for doing the right thing. I really liked WotR, don't get me wrong, but I think Pathfinder lends itself to power fantasies where only other people fail and you're basically an unstoppable winning machine, and since writing the latter isn't where Owlcat shine you end up with a situation where most of the interesting writing and characterisation is happening outside you and your party. I'm hoping that this IP is going to give them the freedom to write a whole roster of people on that grey to black moral spectrum and give you choices where being good and doing good aren't necessarily the same thing in a way that PF doesn't, and based on the beta I'm optimistic that they'll pull it off.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

I should have been more specific, I mean style in terms of writing and tone rather than visuals, I have no eye for art style at all.

I think when Owlcat try to write 'good' characters they end up with something bland and when they try to be light-hearted it's hit and miss, they're at their best writing morally grey (even morally black) characters making difficult and sometimes bad decisions in environments that don't necessarily reward you for doing the right thing. I really liked WotR, don't get me wrong, but I think Pathfinder lends itself to power fantasies where only other people fail and you're basically an unstoppable winning machine, and since writing the latter isn't where Owlcat shine you end up with a situation where most of the interesting writing and characterisation is happening outside you and your party. I'm hoping that this IP is going to give them the freedom to write a whole roster of people on that grey to black moral spectrum and give you choices where being good and doing good aren't necessarily the same thing in a way that PF doesn't, and based on the beta I'm optimistic that they'll pull it off.
An interesting feedback, thank you. Warhammer is very diverse indeed and provides tons of writing opportunities which our team is surely taking.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
sometimes bad decisions in environments that don't necessarily reward you for doing the right thing
That's true, there's a few choices in Kingmaker where being ''Lawful Evil'' is straight the most efficient path to take, but a lot of times Owlcat default to ''Biowarism''.

There's a few times that being straight up Evil or siding with the Lawful Evil character is the way to go , Regill's suggestions. But most of the time, just being the Godlike Good character is just way too easy and you don't sacrifice anything mechanic wise and narrative wise too. I not saying to reward Evil actions for the sake of it. But make harder to pick the obvious moral choice.

ArchAngel

Arcane

An interesting feedback, thank you. Warhammer is very diverse indeed and provides tons of writing opportunities which our team is surely taking.
Answer to next question is going to determine your game's success:
How many of those involve bears?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
sometimes bad decisions in environments that don't necessarily reward you for doing the right thing
That's true, there's a few choices in Kingmaker where being ''Lawful Evil'' is straight the most efficient path to take, but a lot of times Owlcat default to ''Biowarism''.

There's a few times that being straight up Evil or siding with the Lawful Evil character is the way to go , Regill's suggestions. But most of the time, just being the Godlike Good character is just way too easy and you don't sacrifice anything mechanic wise and narrative wise too. I not saying to reward Evil actions for the sake of it. But make harder to pick the obvious moral choice.

Evil *is* big on efficiency. The Biowarism is what makes them afraid to write Regill as evil at all outside the intro where he's slaughtering the weak, but more to the point to write unironic good for non-black characters which is why so much good bleeds into ostensibly evil characters like Regill.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Evil *is* big on efficiency. The Biowarism is what makes them afraid to write Regill as evil at all outside the intro where he's slaughtering the weak, but more to the point to write unironic good for non-black characters which is why so much good bleeds into ostensibly evil characters like Regill.
There is nothing good about Regill, he is type of character that only keeps you around because you are useful to him. Just a step from that crazy dwarf in BG2 that killed his companions while they were asleep because they were slowing him down because of their injuries.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He gives pretty good ideas in the Military Council. He is also loyal to his order which I can't say is a bad trait. It's true tho that outside of the introduction scene where he kills some innocents this hasn't been utilized further. There definitely are good ideas to explore in that direction.

ArchAngel

Arcane
He gives pretty good ideas in the Military Council. He is also loyal to his order which I can't say is a bad trait. It's true tho that outside of the introduction scene where he kills some innocents this hasn't been utilized further. There definitely are good ideas to explore in that direction.
He is useful, that I do not doubt and he is very competent but we are talking about good/evil scale here. Evil characters are often useful and competent, often more than good ones.
But in case of Regill what would happen if you got injured badly and he calculated it is more risky to help you then move on with his plans?

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
... huh, now that I think about it - maybe Tyranny was born this way.

He is useful, that I do not doubt and he is very competent but we are talking about good/evil scale here. Evil characters are often useful and competent, often more than good ones.
But in case of Regill what would happen if you got injured badly and he calculated it is more risky to help you then move on with his plans?
I can't know for sure as he is my companion and regardless of his alignment he is slaying demons in the name of good. I don't think it a certainty that he will ditch me in such a case. It's that uncertainty that I find compelling in companions like him.

I doubt that Regill won't see the benefits of saving the Knight Commander. However, if we are talking about some civilians on the street it's a guarantee he will let them suffer their existence.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

None. No bears.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Thankfully the engine doesn't lend itself to animated sex scenes.
They can always write some
Gurk had meant to save the Marine for his own squad, but he couldn’t wait any longer. Whipping out his own plasma gun, Gurk seared off the back of the Marine’s armor, leaving his shining buttocks bare to the ork’s lustful gaze.

Eduardo moaned in fear, his virgin asscheeks clapping firmly together to deny the ork entrance. Gurk simply laughed, ripping off his crude orkish loincloth to reveal a thick green meat pole, nearly 12 inches long.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Thankfully the engine doesn't lend itself to animated sex scenes.
They can always write some
Gurk had meant to save the Marine for his own squad, but he couldn’t wait any longer. Whipping out his own plasma gun, Gurk seared off the back of the Marine’s armor, leaving his shining buttocks bare to the ork’s lustful gaze.

Eduardo moaned in fear, his virgin asscheeks clapping firmly together to deny the ork entrance. Gurk simply laughed, ripping off his crude orkish loincloth to reveal a thick green meat pole, nearly 12 inches long.
You really do go the extra inch

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
post all that you can find

rjKxrAI.png

image.jpg

yffanen.png

1631285784480.png

screenshot-1-jpg.jpg

queen.jpg

ZfHMmDC.png

lsqaoUF.png

h7RexKg.png
Remember that this was their previous work if you think that you need animations to make someone cringe themselves into a knot

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Considering that Regill puts his position in the line to prove that you're worthy trusting to the Hell Knights , at least by the moment you reclaim Drezen , he wouldn't let you die. In fact , i think he would sacrifce everyone in the party first before considering ditch you. KC was the only one that did a actual progression in stoping the Invasion.. I could see if KC choose a Mythic path like Trickster , then Regill would actually let you die for real as you would be actul threat in his eyes.

ArchAngel

Arcane

None. No bears.
What about beers?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You can tell just by looking at the art direction, it might as well be teen titans. We have this gay ass comic book clown troupe, wearing outfits from their favourite japanese animes:
Warhammer-40-K-Rogue-Trader.jpg

When we should be getting something rad, gritty and heavy metal like rogue trader is supposed to be:

Rogue-Trader-FCover.webp
If you check the the whole rulebook and not just the cover art, you'll find out that the art direction (& quaility) is all over the place and lots of it is actually shit.
Also the game is not based on the wargame but the fantasy flight RPG series, which has a different art style.
That said, I agree that the art direction could be better, it's somewhat off and doesn't seem to set the right tone. They are probably reusing the artists from Pathfinder games (freelancers?). Though I'll reserve the final judgement until the game releases.
Frankly, the Pathfinder games art and overall graphics were mediocre as well, but the games are relatively low budget and I personally enjoyed both of them a lot.
Ok, I downloaded the pdf at your recommendation and each random page I flip to is even more cool than the last

rt1.png
rt2.png
rt3.png
rt4.png

Now I hate the owlcat version even more!
There were a story about GW franticly removing some art of that author from their books because it was "seriously disturbing" in regards to pictures of orcs exterminating humans and aftermatch of tyranid assault.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

None. No bears.
What about beers?
Amasec. Or recaf. Depends on your taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom