Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Modron

Arcane
In before Romance is the new RPG.jpeg.

Turn_BASED

Educated
There ARE instances of successful krieg-eldar romance
5be1cfa5e08b1.jpeg
And for the Cadians, you’ve got some unsuccessful ones, too!

4e761cb2096d5b82378f60ccd343b47c.jpg

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I don’t get the inclusion of romance in a 40K RPG. It’s 100% out of place.

Nah bro, this is the difference between playing a 40K RPG focussed on actual people and playing standard 40K genres that are all about combat. The thing is that people want to fuck even in the grimm darkness of the far future and specificaly in case of Rogue Traders there is the whole thing about you being supposed to maintain your dynasty.

If anything, I would say that it is a bit of a mistake to keep the romance mechanic just as the usual "fuck one of your party members" thingy when they could have made a whole sub-plot about the PC looking for a suitable spouse that would bring various bonuses, advantages and disadvantages (ie. marry a famous Navy officer = cheaper ship upgrades at Port Wander, better relations with Imperium, worse relations with pirates, marry a noble from an agriworld = bonuses to food production, unlocking of better buildings in colonisation menu, worse relations with Ad Mech etc). This could have been a whole game mechanic and it would be perfectly fitting for the setting (I even played in a PnP Rogue Trader campaign back in the day where we did something like this).

40K is much more than huge tanks and spesh muhreens shooting each other, especially when we are talking RPGs.

skaraher

Prophet
Nah bro, this is the difference between playing a 40K RPG focussed on actual people and playing standard 40K genres that are all about combat. The thing is that people want to fuck even in the grimm darkness of the far future and specificaly in case of Rogue Traders there is the whole thing about you being supposed to maintain your dynasty.

If anything, I would say that it is a bit of a mistake to keep the romance mechanic just as the usual "fuck one of your party members" thingy when they could have made a whole sub-plot about the PC looking for a suitable spouse that would bring various bonuses, advantages and disadvantages (ie. marry a famous Navy officer = cheaper ship upgrades at Port Wander, better relations with Imperium, worse relations with pirates, marry a noble from an agriworld = bonuses to food production, unlocking of better buildings in colonisation menu, worse relations with Ad Mech etc). This could have been a whole game mechanic and it would be perfectly fitting for the setting (I even played in a PnP Rogue Trader campaign back in the day where we did something like this).

40K is much more than huge tanks and spesh muhreens shooting each other, especially when we are talking RPGs.
Nah 40k dynasty building is about political alliance, forced mariage contract, and genetic optimization, with a lot of interbreeding. For example Navigators are expected to marry other Navigators to keep clan bloodlines pure.

I guess you missed a good deal of WH40k non-Space Marine books.

Which ones are you talking about ? It is a surprisingly small part of most of the biggest series of Black Library (Ciaphas Cain, Eisenhorn, Gaunt ghost, the whole heresy verse, etc.) Some sexual encounters here and there but they're sparse and never really much the focus of the story.

In the tabletop lore, GW always made a point to avoid any mention of it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
1692982926-img-20230825-190152.jpg

Post from Owlcat community manager on Reddit. Literally the same shit as the glorious BSN golden era. Meanwhile we've got the corporate stooge Owlcat_Eyler here spewing empty platitudes. "teheeee my fellow nerd friends we really like some good rpg mechanic nyah ?"

:smug:
nigger, half of this thread is "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! y can't i romance argenta?!"
codex don't gib a fuck about this "rpg mechanic" shit

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Which ones are you talking about ? It is a surprisingly small part of most of the biggest series of Black Library (Ciaphas Cain, Eisenhorn, Gaunt ghost, the whole heresy verse, etc.) Some sexual encounters here and there but they're sparse and never really much the focus of the story.
There are many, for example Cain was amazed when battle-hardened Soriritas commander had a balding administratum manager lover. Or in that series about enslaver incrusion death-cult member from inquitsitior retinue had a full tsundere thing for fellow stromtrooper.
Of course they are never a focus of the story - like they are not the focus of Dragon age, Baldur's Gate or Rogue Trader. Literally no major RPG game had romance as a focusing point. It serves as an appetizer.
In the tabletop lore, GW always made a point to avoid any mention of it.
They literally have a god of depraved degenerade debased fucking and deviancy and Imperial planetary governors\rulers often act as a renaissance french aristocracy. Dark Heresy leave a lot of space for creativity.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
For fuck's sake appreciate that Owlcat is limiting romance for once! In 2023 we should be thankful Rogue Trade had no orc warboss and tyranid romances, where we can choose a pronounce for our synapse offspring.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Agreed about 1.0 release being the thing that gets judged. So far I haven't seen, except for at least 30% more female main characters then WH40K RPG needs, any clear symptoms of WOKE! virus. Unlike Gothic Remake (with sneaky niggerfication of that game) I might play this one. We'll see

I'm on 0% WOKE! entertainment diet. And I dream & feel fuckin' GREAT

Rhobar121

Scholar
Agreed about 1.0 release being the thing that gets judged. So far I haven't seen, except for at least 30% more female main characters then WH40K RPG needs, any clear symptoms of WOKE! virus. Unlike Gothic Remake (with sneaky niggerfication of that game) I might play this one. We'll see

I'm on 0% WOKE! entertainment diet. And I dream & feel fuckin' GREAT
I don't want to worry, but the blacks in Gothic have been around since the beginning of this series.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It's Owlscat, they are going to sneak in gay couples regardless of setting. Probably make a point about BEEP BOOP IM NON-BINARY on a tech priest character too because that seems to be en vogue now.

Self-Ejected

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom