Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lamiosa

Educated
Info about being able to play an unsanctioned psyker:
Untitled.png

Vasya

Novice
Chaos Marine boss and soundtrack

I'm starting to suspect that unfair is not +30% damage after all calculations, but +300%. Some damage numbers just don't make any sense comparing to the beta version. Sure, Abelard is not an optimal tank, since he is not from a forge/death world, but he is not supposed to take 100+ damage from a single melee hit from a fodder.

Lamiosa

Educated

I'm starting to suspect that unfair is not +30% damage after all calculations, but +300%. Some damage numbers just don't make any sense comparing to the beta version. Sure, Abelard is not an optimal tank, since he is not from a forge/death world, but he is not supposed to take 100+ damage from a single melee hit from a fodder.

That's probably a crit. Also unfair also gives 20% to all enemy stats, and probably some extra feats. Edit: and about Abelard not being an optimal tank, maybe that should be considered. I mean, should the hardest difficulty be balanced around the player having 6 optimized custom characters or not?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

That's probably a crit. Also unfair also gives 20% to all enemy stats, and probably some extra feats. Edit: and about Abelard not being an optimal tank, maybe that should be considered. I mean, should the hardest difficulty be balanced around the player having 6 optimized custom characters or not?

Not

Owlcat games are not one-dimensional*, and likewise the performance that matters is on the party level, not the character.

* - optimal for what? Avoiding the things that most frequently cause reloads? Getting through content faster? Being able to spike vs toughest threats? They're not MMOs where you're just damage racing.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
EDIT: Apparently this is old news. But my point still stands, I'm looking forward to my super gay fling through the galaxy with friends.

Hope everyone has some actual friends, you can now roleplay your tranny love affair with your non-binary pansexual partner in REAL TIME as you all frolic through the galaxy together on your fabulous adventures!

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
MAJOR HAPPENING. Hope everyone has some actual friends, you can now roleplay your tranny love affair with your non-binary pansexual partner in REAL TIME as you all fabulously frolic through the galaxy together on your super gay adventures!

View attachment 43449

Why are you posting screenshots of updates from August

Competing for your job... seems easy enough. :-D

gerd

Barely Literate
I wonder how long it will take for Owlcat to fix major bugs after release, it probably will take a while...

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Not

Owlcat games are not one-dimensional*, and likewise the performance that matters is on the party level, not the character.

* - optimal for what? Avoiding the things that most frequently cause reloads? Getting through content faster? Being able to spike vs toughest threats? They're not MMOs where you're just damage racing.

High end mmo PvE (wow mythic raids for example) isn't about damage racing, but more about memorizing patterns and flawless executing as a team. You fuck up - whole raid dies.
You can't just zerg it.

Desiderius

Patron
as a team
+M

High end mmo PvE (wow mythic raids for example) isn't about damage racing
Well usually there are situations where you've got healers racing damage on a tank where that usually isn't the case in Owlcat games, or at least doesn't have to be. As with those mythic raids they're designed to require more than tank, spank, and heal but they can be attacked with different approaches entirely, including of course the zerg which is probably unfortunate. Hopefully this game has more counters to that simplistic approach.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
you're just damage racing.
High end mmo PvE (wow mythic raids for example) isn't about damage racing, but more about memorizing patterns and flawless executing as a team. You fuck up - whole raid dies.
You can't just zerg it.

Bro, high end mmo PVE (and especially wow mythic raids) is always about damage racing.
Flawless execution might be a struggle for noobs on lower difficulty, but if we're talking mythic, it's not the one and only requirement for victory, it's the starting base.
A lot (not to say majority) of high-end encounters have built-in DPS checks, flawless execution means not just that no one stumbles over thier own feet, but that everyone pushes their dps/hps output to the limit. I quit that shit after getting Cutting Edge for N'Zoth.

Transalted to Owlcat games it is the same.
Their difficulty settings do make things considerably more difficult if your characters can't keep up with inflated stats of the enemies.
If you want to play on Unfair you'll most probably have to optimize the shit out of your charater and all the companions too.
Well, unless suffering is your jam.

Desiderius

Patron
It is not.

I ended up destroying Unfair on both P:K and Wrath without having to heal at all. The Zerg is too strong and so is the control. Even got there with untouchable Seelah tank. And I've seen people nuke it.

It's nice to have a solid group heal up if you screw up but damage/heal racing isn't a thing for the simple reason of there not being bullet sponges.

Hurr durr have to be hyper-optimized with online memes turns out to be the opposite of the truth. Base classes played well in coordination is plenty, and there is room for alternative/novel approaches.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is not.

I ended up destroying Unfair on both P:K and Wrath without having to heal at all. The Zerg is too strong and so is the control. Even got there with untouchable Seelah tank. And I've seen people nuke it.

It's nice to have a solid group heal up if you screw up but damage/heal racing isn't a thing for the simple reason of there not being bullet sponges.

Hurr durr have to be hyper-optimized with online memes turns out to be the opposite of the truth. Base classes played well in coordination is plenty, and there is room for alternative/novel approaches.

- No need for hyper-optimization
- No need to heal
- Just be good, like me
- Get untouchable tank

im-writing-this-down-good-stuff-3x7oljzv07hbt43z.gif

Got it sensei!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Their difficulty settings do make things considerably more difficult if your characters can't keep up with inflated stats of the enemies.(...) No need for hyper-optimization

None of OWlCat games require ultra optimization. I finished Kingmaker with a pure RP build, the worst wiz subclass on unfair, with videos >> https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-thassilonian-necromancer-with-videos.140352/

You just need to know how to exploit enemies weaknesses, for eg, Ice Prison can trivialize a harsh encounter and be worthless in another.

Desiderius

Patron
It is not.

- No need for hyper-optimization
- No need to heal
- Just be good, like me
- Get untouchable tank

im-writing-this-down-good-stuff-3x7oljzv07hbt43z.gif

Got it sensei!
I’ve never played a mythic raid in my life, and have trouble keeping up in PUGs. Yes, if I can do it - by reading and using my abilities and not falling for online memes - then it is not in fact all that hard/about hyperoptimization.

To the original point like Cryomancer says it’s more about matching the tool at hand (even narrow or ostensibly suboptimal ones) to the different tasks.

All companions get equal EXP so you can swap them in and out too.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Leaks
https://www.exophase.com/game/warhammer-40-000-rogue-trader-psn/trophies/
Trophy
Earned Date
[/SPOILER]

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you're just damage racing.
You can't just zerg it.

Bro, high end mmo PVE (and especially wow mythic raids) is always about damage racing.
Flawless execution might be a struggle for noobs on lower difficulty, but if we're talking mythic, it's not the one and only requirement for victory, it's the starting base.
A lot (not to say majority) of high-end encounters have built-in DPS checks, flawless execution means not just that no one stumbles over thier own feet, but that everyone pushes their dps/hps output to the limit. I quit that shit after getting Cutting Edge for N'Zoth.
Yeah, fapping on those sweet orange parses (95th+ percentile DPS/HPS) is par for the course. Snipe healing, properly aligning cooldowns/potions with bosses phases etc etc. What else could you strive for after finally nailing encounter(dozens of wipes ~= several days/weeks) and achieving "farm" status? Optimizing shit out of it.

Edit: challenge is great.
Hope Rogue Trader delivers some.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom