Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Didn't care for Pathfinder Kingmaker at all and obviously skipped on Wrath. I'm praying (to the Emperor) that this will finally be a playable cRPG by Owlcat since I actually care about the setting. Being a Turn Based game is already a good and hopeful sign for me.

Well, brace yourself, the Wokehammer is going to hit you right where it hurts!

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm praying (to the Emperor) that this will finally be a playable cRPG by Owlcat since I actually care about the setting.
Not even the God Emperor and all His Living Saints could save this mess.

Owlcat is anathema to the very core of what makes 40k great - their pozzed liberal politics guarantee they will deliberately shit on the ethos of 40k and just vomit out Pathfinder in space, with all the woke garbage you could find in Wrath of the Cringefinder, and likely worse.

And this is even before we take into account the fact Owlcat are incompetent hacks that have yet to make anything worthwhile, or even halfway decent.

I hope you look forward to Slaanesh feces demons and getting pegged by the stronk Eldar womyn.

The only hope we have is for WW3 to break out so Owlcat either get lined up and executed as subversives of get drafted as Vatnik meatshields and die a miserable death in Ukraine.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The BGs obviously have a significant cult status and most people with a middling interest in video gaming would've at least heard them mentioned in a positive light. Why did they revive XCom? It had less cultural impact than the BGs.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
but then why draw on the BG IP in the first place?
For the same reason they dig up any old IP, they're desperate for any amount of name recognition, no matter how minuscule.

Though, while most of D&D has been thoroughly pozzed people still have fond memories of Baldur's Gate, or have heard good things about Baldur's Gate, so the IP itself still has some value, which makes what Larian has done all the worse.

Codex Year of the Donut
but then why draw on the BG IP in the first place?
For the same reason they dig up any old IP, they're desperate for any amount of name recognition, no matter how minuscule.

Though, while most of D&D has been thoroughly pozzed people still have fond memories of Baldur's Gate, or have heard good things about Baldur's Gate, so the IP itself still has some value, which makes what Larian has done all the worse.
WotC approached Swen, not the other way around.

you guys vastly overestimate the people who actually played baldur's gate and aren't in a nursing home right now

Sarathiour

Cipher
No boobs armor on SoB :decline:

What? Don't call out the Sisxir of Battle, you bigot.

I did not follow wh40k closely, I think they were some kind of retarded discussion about female joining the space marine 1 years or two ago.
Fully expect Bobina to ask why he can't join the bolter bitch.

But you're right, tremendous amount of butthurt ahead. My most anticipated dumpster fire since Bloodlines 2.

Sunri

Liturgist
Here's the art at the end that shows the companions:
FULyR3lX0AMgVpM

I spy cute eldar gf! I hope they keep romance content similar to wotr.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously though, what the actual fuck is this animation in the cutscenes? Offensively bad.

As for the actual gameplay footage, literally looks like a copy and paste of Pathfinder, which has been and still is shit. I can't think of an existing art style that would suit the WH40K universe tbh, but I suppose it's too much to expect something new to fit the themes and tones of an entirely new setting/universe. 99% chance the game is bad.

Codex Year of the Donut
wonder how far they were into making a starfinder game before it got canceled and they had to shop around at the last second

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here's the art at the end that shows the companions:
FULyR3lX0AMgVpM

The fact that Dark Eldar are going to make an appearance as enemies more than makes up for it, cant wait to fuck those faggots up hard (PnP Rogue Trader even had a supplement with rules for playable Dark Eldar characters and ships, if Wyches are in you can expect plenty of boobs in and out of armor). Hopefuly the devs will go for the full fan service and make the Dark Eldar belong to one of the kabals specifically invented for use in Calixis sector/Spinward front/Koronus expanse, such as the Children of Thorns, or Crimson Woe.

Also apparently you get a QT3,14 Eldar Pathfinder girl as a companion (inb4 interracial romance). Having a xenos as a part of the Rogue Trader´s retinue is not unheard of (IIRC in the PnP there were even rules for a Blood Axes Ork mercenary in one of the supplements), I would personaly prefer a Kroot mercenary for the cool factor, but w/e, boobs are boobs I guess. I am not big on bringing in a space marine as a companion (will either be too OP or way too underpowered not to outshine everyone else in combat), but I guess having a muhreen in the game was a basic requirement from the GW suits. Much better choice would have been a Death Cult Assassin (again from the PnP stand point, if you brought a Death Cult Assassin from the Dark Heresy: Ascension to a Rogue Trader game, he would be an absolute close combat monster, while not introducing the same issue a space muhreen brings along.)

Other than that its nice to see a Navigator (along with the Astropath these were very underplayed classes in PnP since they are very much focused on the ship related stuff) there, I guess the psyker dude is just a regular psyker (ie astropath wont be there as a class). The dude with pistol and sword is likely the Rogue Trader himself - its a bit of a bummer that popular classes like Explorator (my personal favorite along with the Missionary), Arch-Militant and Void Master probably arent going to be there... the Battle Sister will probably work as a Missionary class though.

So yeah, as far as that line up goes I would say

not great not terrible.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
wonder how far they were into making a starfinder game before it got canceled and they had to shop around at the last second
That implies a fallout with Paizo on some level though, doesn't it?

If there were, it'd probably be related to Russian sanctions, no? It's the same reason they still haven't finished fulfilling all the Collector's editions of Wrath.

Codex Year of the Donut

If there were, it'd probably be related to Russian sanctions, no? It's the same reason they still haven't finished fulfilling all the Collector's editions of Wrath.
What sanctions against *checks notes* Cyprus are you talking about?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

What sanctions against *checks notes* Cyprus are you talking about?

They've moved things to Cyprus, but were working out of Russia. You tell me, they've publicly claimed that their shipments of the physical goods have been held by UPS and they haven't managed to rectify it. Most people assumed it was due to sanctions and they haven't done anything to change that opinion which is why they were starting to move people out of Russia. If that's not the case, it'd probably be a liquidity issue and non-payments, but then as soon as they had funds to pay their bills, the shipments should resume, but they haven't. Ergo, likely they've faced some difficulties related to sanctions.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, brace yourself, the Wokehammer is going to hit you right where it hurts!

If the game ends up being a dud then that's that. I'm not expecting Owlcat to suddenly learn good game design just because they are working on an IP I like. If they release another bad game then I'll just skip it again. Also the woke stuff you guys are complaining about were the least of my problems I had with Pathfinder. I couldn't get far enough into the game to witness any of it because the game itself was a joyless mess.

Humbaba

Arcane
Oh damn, I'm not gonna read all of that shit that was posted here since yesterday, I'll just assume it's more nomodel idpolfags screeching their lungs out and rusty running smear campaigns on Larian's behalf :smug:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Having a xenos as a part of the Rogue Trader´s retinue is not unheard of
I have no issue with being given a choice to allow disgusting xenos into the party, my issue is that Owlcat will not account for the other possibility.

Does anyone seriously think Owlcat will let you play as a racist, genocidal, religious zealot? Or if they do let you, does anyone here think it will be presented as being the morally just and reasonable stance to take?

As for the rest, it all comes down to the talent of Owlcat writers, and we all know what Owlcat writers are like. For reference go see Rusty's thread on the topic.

Slaver1

Savant
Seems to me they got to work quite quickly on this IP. Seems like just yesterday Owlcat were releasing WOTR in between one of the Baldurs Gate 3 Early Access patches where Larian were busy finetuning how many oil barrels they wanted on the Nautiloid deck because of a largely dissatisfied player base.

Codex Year of the Donut
Seems to me they got to work quite quickly on this IP. Seems like just yesterday Owlcat were releasing WOTR in between one of the Baldurs Gate 3 Early Access patches where Larian were busy finetuning how many oil barrels they wanted on the Nautiloid deck because of a largely dissatisfied player base.
GW hands their IP out to anyone who asks, have you seen the absolute garbage published with their IPs?
no surprise that a dev known for making bad clones of already bad games was able to get a license to make another disaster

Aemar

Arcane
Owlcat folks seem too lazy to come up with their own original setting. They don't mind sharing the loot with other companies because of that.

gerey's post is absolutely correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom