Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I am still stuck on what advanced archetype to pick.
For Pasqal I am going Bounty Hunter 100%. Now I do not know what I should pick for my Operator Sniper and Cassia.
My Sniper can either also go Bounty Hunter or Grand Strategist. In that case I would pick Master Tactician with Cassia but it seems some people are taking Grand Strategist with her?
Is Grand Strategist that good? Or should I just skip it with both characters?
Master Tactician seems better for Cassia since she got decent Fellowship stat.
Grand strategist for cassia is just so that she always goes first. You aren't using any of the class powers either way, since her navigator powers are so much stronger. For single-target damage (IE operator sniper) I like Assassin since it has so many talents that just give you +10% damage or +1 damage per hit or the like.
I didn't get to reading their talents yet, I was just looking at abilities and Assassin ability all look like crap. And I do not want Cassia to go first. She cannot give anyone +2 AP with her Officer ability if they didn't do their turn yet.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
disagree on grand strategist, I would say its the worst class with assassin but its fine to have 1
master tactician if u want to break Cassia even more, free dmg for zero AP. can pick few tactician talents that give tactical advantage without doing anything

grand strategist sounds good on paper but I find it very awkward mainly because of encounter design

notpl

Arbiter
For Pasqal I am going Bounty Hunter 100%. Now I do not know what I should pick for my Operator Sniper and Cassia.
My Sniper can either also go Bounty Hunter or Grand Strategist. In that case I would pick Master Tactician with Cassia but it seems some people are taking Grand Strategist with her?
Grand strategist for cassia is just so that she always goes first. You aren't using any of the class powers either way, since her navigator powers are so much stronger. For single-target damage (IE operator sniper) I like Assassin since it has so many talents that just give you +10% damage or +1 damage per hit or the like.
I didn't get to reading their talents yet, I was just looking at abilities and Assassin ability all look like crap. And I do not want Cassia to go first. She cannot give anyone +2 AP with her Officer ability if they didn't do their turn yet.
Uhh, yes, officers can still give people actions on turn 1 if they haven't acted yet. And you are criminally underutilizing her if your only idea for her is to give other people actions - she can wipe entire encounters in a single attack.

Shaki

Arbiter
Master tactician for +xxx% bonus damage > grand strategist

notpl

Arbiter
Master tactician for +xxx% bonus damage > grand strategist
Don't underestimate always going first, but yes I prefer MT on her. I don't use grand strategists at all.

Shaki

Arbiter
disagree on grand strategist, I would say its the worst class with assassin but its fine to have 1
master tactician if u want to break Cassia even more, free dmg for zero AP. can pick few tactician talents that give tactical advantage without doing anything

grand strategist sounds good on paper but I find it very awkward mainly because of encounter design
Assassin is supposedly broken OP when using it as a ranged build with Eldar companion, can't confirm since I don't fraternize with xeno scum

Hellion

Arcane
An Assassin Sniper in cover with a decent weapon plus all relevant skills and with the use of exploits and bonus damage etc etc, easily deals 500+ damage each turn during boss fights.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I did the Forgefiend basically by tanking it with Abelard while Cassia kept delivering huge damage with sniper rifle from cover, which allowed her to soak up most of the return fire. Shit was so cash.

Abelard vs Deamonengine.jpg

Anyway, I sure love me some space combat, I would totaly pay some 15 € on a standalone game based around the space combat from Rogue Trader tbh fam. Really loving the game overall.

Space Combat 2.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I did the Forgefiend basically by tanking it with Abelard while Cassia kept delivering huge damage with sniper rifle from cover, which allowed her to soak up most of the return fire. Shit was so cash.

View attachment 44576

Anyway, I sure love me some space combat, I would totaly pay some 15 € on a standalone game based around the space combat from Rogue Trader tbh fam. Really loving the game overall.

View attachment 44577
Dlc of free roaming rogue trading would be nice. Just you and your custom crew wandering the void, ship fighting with a boarding action or two on the way.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fuck it, I like it. The Owlcat guys are, if anything, very passionate, they throw it all out there. I used to be pretty critical of their writing, perhaps partly because I didn't care much for the Pathfinder setting, but for anyone caring about these game worlds, it is pretty in-depth. With this new setting it works better for me, I find it pretty interesting. Maybe it plays on its own tropes, but for a crpg it feels pretty original. Playing a character idea in this feels great, you can really go all out on your alignment as far as I can tell.

Regarding the jank and bugs, it's not that bad to me, but I have a high tolerance for it. I'm not big into the entitled consumer mindset, although I will admit the price is a bit high, but in the end games, to me, are a kind of collective endeavor - especially when considering mods. So yeah, feedback is part of it. Wanting your perfect product, eh, whatever. Just get back to work, dad, you know you don't have time for this. But yes, the game could use more polish, that's obvious.

Gameplay wise I'm not entirely impressed by the game, but not bored by it either. I was very amused that it showered me with all these feats and levels (the leveling does calm down in chapter 2). One interesting thing is how something like origin, instead of having some fluff impact, is actually central to character builds. It makes for some very unique setups. Maybe too unique, because, well, Cassia just destroys everything. The balance is out the window. My whole team is just giving Cassia multiple turns, it's pretty hilarious.

Someone said that the economy seemed badly thought out, but I disagree, it's one of the best things about it. I like the profit factor and reputation system, and somehow they managed to make all the colony management, planet scanning and so on engaging. The ship combat also isn't all that bad from what I've seen.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The whole archetype shit is idiotic. I ignore the talents for most of the companions because their other ones are better. Should have gone with levelling similar to their other games. Just pick a class and level it up. Advanced archetypes make sense in most of the cases.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
chapter 5 unfair ship combat is not fun, pretty much every ship 1 turn kills my ship. only way I could handle those is run + cheese with torpedoes.
might be because my ship does not have best upgrades (around 66% navy rank done) because colony projects got bugged in chapter 4 or Owlcat did not play test combat encounters on unfair difficulty which is more likely reason

anyway I have probably played around 90% of game now and its okayish. will be good when everything is fixed and would be great if it was not so unbalanced. too many ways to break combat with half of companions. mid game companion default builds are very awful (other than operator xeno she is mostly fine) so maybe combat would have challenge if whole party builds were on similar level.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Oh yeah, another aspect of Owlscat design... You're supposed to "explore" but if you don't know the right order you inevitably run into shit that's far too dangerous for your given level. Half an hour gone because whoops this fight isn't winnable for you yet too bad!

Shaki

Arbiter
Oh yeah, another aspect of Owlscat design... You're supposed to "explore" but if you don't know the right order you inevitably run into shit that's far too dangerous for your given level. Half an hour gone because whoops this fight isn't winnable for you yet too bad!
That's based classic RPG design, incline

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
:hmmm:

Fuck the void travel is total garbage. Spend an hour trying to go to an unexplored system,but between it there is a few stops and on every fucking jump i get called in to the bridge to lsiten to some irrelevant garbage. Ohhh captain we have a fucked up level on the other end of the map,go push a button,ohhh captain let me tell you about the world,ohhh captain i have dead pigeons in me room lets talk. And all that ends up in endless walls of shitty text and a lot of loading screens.
https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kroguetrader/mods/1
There's one of these for every Owlcuck game, I guess.

Not sure why so many people recommend a cheat mod for a strategy game though. I saw it in the PCGamer review panning the game too.
https://www.pcgamer.com/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-review/

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Uhh, yes, officers can still give people actions on turn 1 if they haven't acted yet. And you are criminally underutilizing her if your only idea for her is to give other people actions - she can wipe entire encounters in a single attack.

Please explain this to me, she does decent damage but my Bolter main is the damage dealer and vastlys outdamages her. Whats your build?

ArchAngel

Arcane
There has been zero woke shit so far by end of Act 1. I am impressed.
And no, I do not consider Indira woke shit.
All melee focused characters are dudes, females are casters or support.
They didn't gender swap SMs, senechal is a white old dude ex military.
Nobody offered to butt fuck me in first 15h of playing. Nobody is giving me lessons about current year events and so on..
This is probably last such cRPG we are going to get in a long time.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
chapter 5 unfair ship combat is not fun, pretty much every ship 1 turn kills my ship. only way I could handle those is run + cheese with torpedoes.
might be because my ship does not have best upgrades (around 66% navy rank done) because colony projects got bugged in chapter 4 or Owlcat did not play test combat encounters on unfair difficulty which is more likely reason
So you're saying that "Unfair" difficulty actually isn't fair?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is literally what people told me about Wrath of the Righteous.

Surprise: one character was a secret tranny. And as soon as you're done with the tutorial, there's a cutscene where he makes out with his "lesbian" orc wife.

Owlcuck plays a longer game with their propaganda, that's all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is literally what people told me about Wrath of the Righteous.

Surprise: one character was a secret tranny. And as soon as you're done with the tutorial, there's a cutscene where he makes out with his "lesbian" orc wife.
That was by the end of prologue. Also you meet female tank paladin right away. Normally that female paladin would not be even able to walk with that armor..

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That was by the end of prologue.
It was a fairly long prologue. Long enough that many people could be past the refund window. (You can sometimes still refund a buggy game past this window if you complain to a live agent btw.)

The point is it's there and none of the people shilling the game mentioned it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom