Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another thing that's stupid is if you reach level 10, 20 and so on the game won't let you choose a psi rating at that level. Because of this, you have to wait 1 or more levels to be able to select this talent.
Interestingly, if you reset the talents, you will normally be able to choose the psi rating as you should at level 10, 20, 30 and 40
Be an inquisitor like Heinrix, he can get next Psi rating at lvl 16 and 26 :D

user

Savant
Hey guys, I have an important question for you all
What do you think about the Heretical Path in the game? Did you like it or not? If not - why? The question is about the story in general, not about the bugs. (I know that they impact the experience too, of course, but let's try focusing on the story)
By the way, happy holidays everyone!

I am somewhat of a stranger to the Warhammer universe, so I don't know how it is supposed to be, and this is feedback up to ch3.
Some heretical choices were pretty satisfying.

Others:
- Felt cartoon-villain silly, rather than corrupting, malignant etc.
- Didn't get the reactivity they should have from the companions. While there is a bunch of reactivity in the game, some choices were anything but subtle and it's weird they don't warrant a reaction.
- Felt out of place compared to the rest of the dialogue or to how the conversation continued. As if they were stitched in at the last minute.

I see each subsequent Owlcat game getting less attention here. Kingmaker now has 1028 pages, Wrath 498 and Warhammer only 87. I know these games were released over the course of a few years, but the decline in page growth is noticeable.

I wonder if this translates into sales.
Another, more reliable data point, is the record concurrent and actual player count. Kingmaker peaked at 22,536 users on Steam and sits at 852. Wrath peaked at 46,563 and has 2,997. Rogue Trader reached 37,094 and has 16,773 right now. It's a downward trend, I'd say, but not dramatic. Still, maybe that's why Owlcat is trying to diversify and get into 3rd person games next if rumors are true.

EDIT(thanks, Dishonoredbr ): Rogue Trader peaked at 45,405 (stupid Steamcharts). So not a decline, but stagnation.

Maybe these rumors are true, since they seem to be looking for unreal devs.

Rhobar121

Scholar
So when does the area in shadow quarters unlock? So far, I only have one main quest left, Blades in the Void, and I still haven't unlocked this location.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So when does the area in shadow quarters unlock? So far, I only have one main quest left, Blades in the Void, and I still haven't unlocked this location.

I returned there like after all 3 quests (Janus etc) were done and it was unlocked. Kinda overlevelled by that point so I guess it should unlock earlier

Harthwain

Magister
I did a few space jumps and I have to say the game pretty much mandates save-scumming. Before you could save-scum to get small XP boost from successful checks or to save yourself the hassle from healing up injuries from setting off traps when attempting to disarm them. So nothing too dramatic.

But now I found myself on a space hulk filled with mad tech-priests and it is just not doable on my current level (19). I could do the first fight (even though enemy snipers were one-hit-killing pretty much anyone they managed to hit), but the second one has 4 (four!) megaphones that boost entire enemy group to insane levels and they work OUTSIDE of the room, too. I need more power to go through that ship. I had to reload and go elsewhere. I will handle it to Owlcat though that they did manage to catch the atmosphere or madness/horror in that particular encounter.

My Rogue Trader, Abelard and Argenta were doing well, even considering how OP the enemies were. But that couldn't have been said for Pasqal. When he is in melee he can parry and hit hard, but he gets sniped by enemy ranged attacks, because he has twice less dodge than Abelard so this becomes a problem when I send him into melee. In general this highlights the issue of dodge being far superior to wearing heavier armour. If this continues I might reconsider retraining Pasqal into a stricte ranged character or just dropping him from the party. I guess I can give that OP Eldar blade to Heinrix, since Abelard is doing well with the current dull blade he's using... I retrained Idira just to check out that sweet Heretical Heavy Bolter I got from the Chaos Space Marine in Act 1 and I can see Argenta becoming a monster if she manages to get her hands on one. I need to think about what I want to do with Cassia though, because right now she is just a buff-bot for others (mainly Rogue Trader and Argenta).

Besides that - space fights could use some description to indicate their difficulty. I mean, I can go into the fight and reload when I see enemy ships being just too powerful, but that's time I could better spend in different ways and makes space battles into a puzzle of sorts (you have to go through trial-and-error to find the ones that are doable and return to harder ones later). Which is a shame, because in general I like how they play. I'd love to see some larger space battles, in the style of Battlefleet Gothic, not just one ship versus three or some such, but somehow I doubt this is going to happen.

I am going to comment on navigating through the Warp later, but so far I like the concept. I am going to keep my Navigator Points close though, just in case I am going to need them and they turn out to be precious commodity (like scrap for fixing up the ship).

Shaki

Arbiter
In general this highlights the issue of dodge being far superior to wearing heavier armour.
Wrong.

Stacking armor is far better than stacking dodge, since armour is much easier to stack + stacked high makes you pretty much immortal + is much more resistant to bad luck

Getting enough dodge to get max dodge chance is really hard, and enemies will still always have 5% to hit you, and since you'll have light armour, you'll often die in one hit. On unfair you're pretty much always one bad roll from being dead.

Meanwhile decent armour makes low tier enemies do nothign since the beginning of the combat, while also making elites do nothing after like 1 turn of stacking. It's pretty much immortality.

Imho going dodge makes sense only on a melee assassin, since dodge doubles as damage stat for them because of lethality. For ranged assassins dodge reduction is easy af to stack super high so I would use it instead of dodge for damage, and probably would still go heavy armour.

Rhobar121

Scholar
In general this highlights the issue of dodge being far superior to wearing heavier armour.
Wrong.

Stacking armor is far better than stacking dodge, since armour is much easier to stack + stacked high makes you pretty much immortal + is much more resistant to bad luck

Getting enough dodge to get max dodge chance is really hard, and enemies will still always have 5% to hit you, and since you'll have light armour, you'll often die in one hit. On unfair you're pretty much always one bad roll from being dead.

Meanwhile decent armour makes low tier enemies do nothign since the beginning of the combat, while also making elites do nothing after like 1 turn of stacking. It's pretty much immortality.

Imho going dodge makes sense only on a melee assassin, since dodge doubles as damage stat for them because of lethality. For ranged assassins dodge reduction is easy af to stack super high so I would use it instead of dodge for damage, and probably would still go heavy armour.
Yes and no. It's easy, provided you are arch-militant with cautions approach (+ wildfire later) you are practically untouchable

Shaki

Arbiter
Yes and no. It's easy, provided you are arch-militant with cautions approach (+ wildfire later) you are practically untouchable

Arch militant doesn't need any defensives since this retarded class beats every encounter on the first turn anyway, but if you want defensive option, then imho its still better to take the talent giving you armour for every versatility stack and stack armour, rather than waste a precious ability point on dodge, especially on lower levels since you want wildfire + reckless rush as an absolute priority, so the earliest you could grab cautious approach without a massive sacrifice would be lvl 30.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I did a few space jumps and I have to say the game pretty much mandates save-scumming. Before you could save-scum to get small XP boost from successful checks or to save yourself the hassle from healing up injuries from setting off traps when attempting to disarm them. So nothing too dramatic.

But now I found myself on a space hulk filled with mad tech-priests and it is just not doable on my current level (19). I could do the first fight (even though enemy snipers were one-hit-killing pretty much anyone they managed to hit), but the second one has 4 (four!) megaphones that boost entire enemy group to insane levels and they work OUTSIDE of the room, too. I need more power to go through that ship. I had to reload and go elsewhere. I will handle it to Owlcat though that they did manage to catch the atmosphere or madness/horror in that particular encounter.

My Rogue Trader, Abelard and Argenta were doing well, even considering how OP the enemies were. But that couldn't have been said for Pasqal. When he is in melee he can parry and hit hard, but he gets sniped by enemy ranged attacks, because he has twice less dodge than Abelard so this becomes a problem when I send him into melee. In general this highlights the issue of dodge being far superior to wearing heavier armour. If this continues I might reconsider retraining Pasqal into a stricte ranged character or just dropping him from the party. I guess I can give that OP Eldar blade to Heinrix, since Abelard is doing well with the current dull blade he's using... I retrained Idira just to check out that sweet Heretical Heavy Bolter I got from the Chaos Space Marine in Act 1 and I can see Argenta becoming a monster if she manages to get her hands on one. I need to think about what I want to do with Cassia though, because right now she is just a buff-bot for others (mainly Rogue Trader and Argenta).

Besides that - space fights could use some description to indicate their difficulty. I mean, I can go into the fight and reload when I see enemy ships being just too powerful, but that's time I could better spend in different ways and makes space battles into a puzzle of sorts (you have to go through trial-and-error to find the ones that are doable and return to harder ones later). Which is a shame, because in general I like how they play. I'd love to see some larger space battles, in the style of Battlefleet Gothic, not just one ship versus three or some such, but somehow I doubt this is going to happen.

I am going to comment on navigating through the Warp later, but so far I like the concept. I am going to keep my Navigator Points close though, just in case I am going to need them and they turn out to be precious commodity (like scrap for fixing up the ship).
Do not under any circumstances attempt to fight until you have unlocked Dargonus and completed all projects for the Imperial Navy.
This alone will make your life much easier.

I know which ship you mean, I went there right after clearing Footfall. All I can tell you is that Heinrix and his Santic powers are your best friend. All of his powers scale with resolve, which means he doesn't need willpower.
Especially Shield of the Emperor. During the first fight on the ship, I had to fight not only all the enemies, but also 4 demons that were summoned during it.

Pascal is quite good, but unfortunately it's made of paper.
If you give him a plasma weapon, he can do sick damage if he hits it, which doesn't happen often.
His two greatest assets are Tactical Knowledge and Expose Weakness. I remember to use it as often as possible. Tactical Knowleadge scales very well with the number of enemies.

Cassia can be used in many ways.
Reveal the Light is one of the most powerful buffs in the game, especially when you buy Bloodhound Staff in Footfall (low rep requirements).
If you cast the buff on Cassie first and then on the other person, she will get a much larger bonus.
The additional toughness will make Abelard/Heinrix much harder to kill. Likewise, willpower will heavily buff any psyker.
Held in My Gaze is one of the best ranged skills you can have. This is quite a strong long-range dmg ST that cannot be dodged, which in itself makes it very strong.
If you buff her with the Master Tactician buff, she can kill most of the early bosses on her own.
I also recommend Warp Curse Unleashed, it is a debuff that significantly increases damage and spreads itself.
zQnci4b.png

These are non-combat stats, meaning she doesn't have any buffs on her.
She also does not have a talent that gives additional life points depending on the level.
In practice, she has 20hp more than any other character in the group, and she also heals herself every turn by the value of her willpower (which increases the more the longer the fight lasts).
When she casts Revel in Light on herself, they will be much higher.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

For true tankiness you need high Deflection (the number on the far left of the line, inbetween characteristics and skills) and that only comes with the the heavy armors and specific buffs that you only get with Vanguard. My sense of it is that armor (the stat) only starts being good on armor when it's upwards of 50%. For most other characters, Dodge is the most important to get high, to the extent that most of the time it's not worth even using the medium armors because of the dodge malus, just stick with the better bodyglove things, or the better light armors, or the few mediums that don't have the dodge malus.

Also, in this game I think it's definitely worth having the traditional tank with the traditional taunt (which is a generous AoE) to prevent getting a lot of fire on your squishies - a well-built Abe Vanguard with the best heavy armor available fits the bill perfectly.

Pasqal's melee capability is nice to have in a pinch and he does hit pretty hard, but really I think he is more of a ranged character; also I think you should lean into his Analyst stuff, especially Tactical Knowledge, which is a great armor buff for the whole team (adding cost-free armor to the whole team) as well as being a damage buff for him. Get the gloves that give him a tech and plasma damage boost, get the forge world buff (perfect weaponry or something) that buffs plasma, melta and flamer weapons, and outfit him with a plasma pistol as soon as available, then a plasma gun as soon as available. Then he becomes a good buffer/debuffer, as well as a handy deleter of small trash crowds with the plasma AoE.

Making him a Grand Strategist makes him even more useful, as the "areas" when buffed can be quite handy for the rest of the team (e.g. beefing up the rear damage, or helping Abelard to tank with the frontline, or beefing up backline defences when things get hairy for some team member), and more useful than anything else he could be doing really. (Bounty Hunter is better suited to Argenta or Yrliet.)

Re. the space action, it improved a lot for me when I discovered that you can turn the difficulty of space action down independently. I've been playing it on Easy for a while, and I now have enough of a feel for the combat (e.g. which shield side to beef up depending on where the mobs are likely to go), and enough better gear and abilities to be able to take it up a notch soon. It's one of those things where the more toys you have (upgrades) the more fun it is, but it's really painful to start with.

Re. the navigator points, I think it's worth spending some on getting "main routes" between Furibundus, colonies, etc., but I don't think you need to spend points to make routes green. Yellow just nets you a few crew lost now and then, it seems, and Orange is actually worth doing occasionally when you feel like it, as the combats are quite fun (you have to hold out as your people trickle in), and some of them ("trust the navigator" ones) give extra navigator points.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Arch militant doesn't need any defensives since this retarded class beats every encounter on the first turn anyway, but if you want defensive option, then imho its still better to take the talent giving you armour for every versatility stack and stack armour, rather than waste a precious ability point on dodge, especially on lower levels since you want wildfire + reckless rush as an absolute priority, so the earliest you could grab cautious approach without a massive sacrifice would be lvl 30.
Depends, if you don't use burst attacks (which are bugged) it's not that op. Burst attacks give twice as many stacks and sometimes even more.

Shaki

Arbiter
Pasqal's melee capability is nice to have in a pinch and he does hit pretty hard, but really I think he is more of a ranged character; also I think you should lean into his Analyst stuff, especially Tactical Knowledge, which is a great armor buff for the whole team (adding cost-free armor to the whole team) as well as being a damage buff for him. Get the gloves that give him a tech and plasma damage boost, get the forge world buff (perfect weaponry or something) that buffs plasma, melta and flamer weapons, and outfit him with a plasma pistol as soon as available, then a plasma gun as soon as available. Then he becomes a good buffer/debuffer, as well as a handy deleter of small trash crowds with the plasma AoE.

Making him a Grand Strategist makes him even more useful, as the "areas" when buffed can be quite handy for the rest of the team (e.g. beefing up the rear damage, or helping Abelard to tank with the frontline, or beefing up backline defences when things get hairy for some team member), and more useful than anything else he could be doing really. (Bounty Hunter is better suited to Argenta or Yrliet.)

Grand Strategist is meh, Bounty Hunter's single talent that makes Pasqal get 3 free extra turns of stacking Tactical Knowledge in first round, already provides more benefits than Grand strategist's 20 levels will give you, and BH also offers many more nice toys. If you like Pasqual's plasma, but think he misses too often, then how about BH giving guaranteed hits and guaranteed crits for example?

Shaki

Arbiter

Depends, if you don't use burst attacks (which are bugged) it's not that op. Burst attacks give twice as many stacks and sometimes even more.

True, burst attacks are completely broken, but even without them you can stack insanely fast as long as officer exists. Also slower stacking if not using burst, would make getting reckless rush and versatility fast even more important than it is already, so again, really hard to justify taking cautious approach before lvl 30.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Grand Strategist is meh, Bounty Hunter's single talent that makes Pasqal get 3 free extra turns of stacking Tactical Knowledge in first round, already provides more benefits than Grand strategist's 20 levels will give you, and BH also offers many more nice toys. If you like Pasqual's plasma, but think he misses too often, then how about BH giving guaranteed hits and guaranteed crits for example?

Yeah but I figure since Argenta already has extra attacks and Pasqual doesn't, it's better min-maxing to give her BH, and keep Pasqal on more of the buffing/debuffing side of things.

Shaki

Arbiter

Yeah but I figure since Argenta already has extra attacks and Pasqual doesn't, it's better min-maxing to give her BH, and keep Pasqal on more of the buffing/debuffing side of things.
Nooooo man, come on, you're trying to trigger me. Giving Argenta anything other than Arch Militant is as far from min-maxing as you can go, it's the most broken class in the game, especially when comboed with soldier.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Nooooo man, come on, you're trying to trigger me. Giving Argenta anything other than Arch Militant is as far from min-maxing as you can go, it's the most broken class in the game, especially when comboed with soldier.

Trouble is, I tend to start combat (with big mob crowds) with Argenta on sniper duty in a Camaraderie "pod," with Pasqal, my main, Cassie and Abe, taking out the weaker and/or earlier-initiative mobs from a distance, and only pull out the heavy bolter when the opportunity presents itself, more towards the end of the combat when she's safer wandering about a bit to grab the further-away stragglers in the mob crowd, so I'm not in a position to regularly switch between single and burst attacks to bump up the lethality stacks or whatever they are. I did try her on Arch Militant as more of a wanderer, but I found that she gets into trouble more often that way (she makes the mobs really angry really early), and isn't quite tough enough to handle it, even with high dodge. But I'm still experimenting with tactics and builds.

std::namespace

god damn this voice actor is doing work...
i actually listened to every fucking line in that dialogue... wtf
TELnoA2.png

Aarwolf

Learned
xenotech is ghey.
my warpriest purging enemies of mankind with thunder hammer and shotgun. feels gud.

There is no better gun than heavy stubber - it has insane fire rate and my Argenta can easily deal from 200 to 800 damage per shot when properly buffed (and mind it, one burst can be 10 to 12 shots). She basically one shot all the bosses in act 3 and 4, and did ~90% damage to the final boss.

Any xenotech shit can't even compare to that.

Be an inquisitor like Heinrix, he can get next Psi rating at lvl 16 and 26 :D

With one helmet his psy rating can be upped by 2 points, so in the end he can be level 6, total beast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom