Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Never saw that coming :troll:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Goddammit, Brother None....what's the MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEANING OF THIS?!
1bymW8f.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2 beta: Makes Fallout 2 without any patches look like a solid piece of software.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well what did you expect, the beta will have an influence on previews and sales, better if it makes a good impression. And I'm saying this un-cynically, by the way

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect Fargo might want it to be more of a polished demo than a beta, hence he's holding up the release.

hiver

Well what did you expect, the beta will have an influence on previews and sales, better if it makes a good impression. And I'm saying this un-cynically, by the way
Nothing, really.

Of course tey want to make a better impression. Nowadays beta isnt a beta anymore.
I just hate that fucking american "exciting" catch phrase.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

After their latest gameplay video, I would venture to say that they couldn't care less about creating bad impressions...

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sheeeeeeit.

Well, I'm comfortable waiting longer. Not pleased, but if they iron out shit before release, it'll end up better. Public betas like these aren't really betas, in the testing sense, they're first impressions.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
“Ok the beta for Wasteland 2 is really close but I'm not quite comfortable releasing it in its current (technical state). I'm excited to get it in your hands but we want to give a little more love. Sorry for the lack of communication on this, it can be hard when you’re this close. Stay tuned!” - Brian Fargo

:roll: Typical. Wait until the last two or three days of the month that you give as the release date to announce the delay. I'm pretty sure Fargo knew about the (non-ready) state of the demo since several weeks ago.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'd prefer the developers giving their most conservative ("worst case") estimates to the backers instead of those that seem most probable at the time. Also, whenever target dates are reevaluated internally, they should be reevaluated externally. People who finance this deserve transparency instead of having their intelligence underestimated (with the announcement of a missed deadline always coming at the last moment).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd never underestimate the optimism of any given developer. It's possible they really thought they could get it out by the 31st two days ago.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No issue for me - exams next month.

We won't see it until December or January now though ;)

The issue is obviously larger than bugs.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, from personal experience, it's quite hard to adopt a hard "we're not going to make it" stance in situations like these, especially if the team believes they can do it until the very last week.

Although I think they would've been fine if they simply told the backers "We might be a bit late on this one, not sure yet, but there's a possibility we will release the beta in the first half of November." on Friday. Certainly preferable to the current situation.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Not to mention the standard damage control routine of "we want the game to be more polished" to justify the delay of a beta.

Is that a bad?
Delaying the game to giving even more polish? No. Giving release estimates that aren't realistic and waiting until the last days of the release month to announce the delay? Yes. Saying "the game is good, but we want to give it even more polish" instead of the most realistic "we didn't managed to lift the game up until beta level, sorry"? Yes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Called it - not the delay (which was obvious for some time now) - the whining.
Promising a delivery date and then announcing a delay is bad PR. Promising a delivery date and not saying anything but still failing to meet it is even worse. It is like giving a baseball bat to all the skeptics, critics and trolls and telling them 'whack me on the head'. And they will. Even if beta somehow makes release in October it will still be commented on as 'barely made it'. Why would you do something like this inXile?

No one but the backers who paid enough money for the beta care and I'm reasonably confident most of them are understanding.
Most of them, yes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 2 beta: Makes Fallout 2 without any patches look like a solid piece of software.
not very optimistic, are you?
Interplay decided that unpatched Fallout 2 was good enough to go gold, therefore this early beta must be worse if Fargo is too ashamed to let it go out to the ~12,000 people who have access to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom