Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Still slowly going through the Alkaline. Many of these maps are just too long for their own good.
quakespasmsdl12zz3jC.png
quakespasmsdl12lpo2d.png

Still fun though

Mentioned already in the HROT thread but i also just completed it. A solid throwback shooter that really starts to shine once you reach the episode 3. Somehow manages to be even browner than the original Quake.
I also heard that the Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer is going to be released very soon. Looking forward towards it as i enjoyed the demo.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Thanks. This seems like sound advice. I just discovered that server settings option in single player and your post gave me the incentive to look for it. I still need to get a good legendary weapon to get things rolling and the only way to do that is with beating a boss. I saw an interesting "how to" on YT where a player used poison and bleeding stacks on weapons to "melt" even the toughest bosses within a couple of minutes. Only problem is you need to beat a tough boss to get those poisons when I can't even beat the crocodile king on the newbie river yet (though I haven't tried recently but just the sight and the SIZE of that crocodile boss charging towards me had me quaking and running up a tree). This game is a vicious cycle of just running and running in circles (and running away!) until you find or make that one item that sets things in motion.
These are my suggestions for single-player server settings:
  • Progression - No XP rate changes should be needed
  • Day/Night Cycle - due to Conan Exiles being an MMORPG, there isn't a means of waiting / skipping time
    • Nighttime speed increase
    • Dusk/Dawn speed increase moderately
  • Survival
    • Consider unchecking the option for dropping all equipment & inventory with your corpse on death, which then requires a 'corpse run' to retrieve everything
  • Combat
    • Player damage multiplier - increase as a last resort, if you're encountering HP sponges (but consider first whether the area is too high level)
    • Player damage taken multiplier - decrease
    • NPC respawn multiplier - increase (longer duration to respawn)
    • Durability multiplier - decrease (affects non-combat tools as well)
  • Harvesting
    • Item spoil scale rate - decrease
    • Harvest amount multiplier - increase greatly
  • Crafting
    • Crafting time multiplier - decrease drastically
    • Thrall crafting time multiplier - decrease drastically
    • Fuel burn time multiplier - increase drastically
  • Abandonment
    • Disable building abandonment should be checked
    • Disable thrall decay should be checked
  • Chat - Irrelevant in single-player
  • Purge
    • Purge preparation time - Set to whatever is comfortable for you

pickmeister

Learned
Recently finished L.A. Noire for the second time (the first time was 10 years or so ago) as I was in the mood for some 1940's atmosphere which the game does great.
The game could be described as a hiddem gem that fell into a pile of shit where it marinated for a long time.
The basic premise of being a cop/detective is good. Looking for clues, talking to people, catching criminals, that's great. But there's no space for actual deduction because you're being heavily railroaded throughout the game. Just head to the point on the map, and that's it.
The interrogations however is where the game stops making sense. It's less of interrogating a witness/suspect and more of trying to figure out "What did the developer want me to choose?". Story is meh. It feels like they made missions first, then shoehorned story into them but that wasn't good enough so they put a little bit more on top. There are key moments in the story that just happen.
Apparently, they didn't have time to develop/had to cut a lot of stuff out so it might be true.
Mixed feeling about that one. I still like the atmosphere of the game, tho.

After that, to play a proper detective game, I read many recommendations of Return of the Obra Dinn. You're an insurance investigator of East India Company and you've been sent to a ship from which the entire crew disappeared and you're given a compass capable of showing you corpse's last moment. You're given a list of the crew and you need to figure out who died how and by whose hand. It's essentially a game of Sudoku: Detective Edition.
This game really hooked me but it started to be a bit tedious at the end where it's impossible to know for sure who is who without guessing and waiting for the game to confirm your guess.
Also, I was hoping for some explanation or conclusion of what happened but nothing of the sort. You're just a bookkeeper. You're just an insurance investigator so do your job and fuck off.

Currently, with Dragon's Dogma 2 announcement, I realized that I never actually finished the first one, so I started a new playthough. I was playing as a sorcerer before and was enjoying it tremendously. My two gripes with the class (vocation) were that casting was very slow and stamina was very scarce so after two meteorites, I was useless. Now, I'm playing as a ranger, level 35 at the moment, to get more stamina and unless I pester my pawn all the time to give me weapon enchantment, the class feels kinda weak. I'll probably change class soon to something else.

In the meantime, I found my year old save of Shadow of Mordor about 70% in. As I never played the second game, I decided to finish the first one and try the second one.
The first one I really liked. The atmosphere was great, story (except the ending) was cool, and the combat was very satisfying. But none of those can be said about the second game.
The second game is much more open world, stuffed with fuckton of collectibles and shit to do on the map which is great if you enjoy it. I don't, really. Instead of runes, giving you great powers, that you put in your weapons, you get shitty loot with mediocre effects and sockets that give you +% healing, +% damage, +% XP and so on. You lose the powers you posessed in the first game (but you can regain them later, because fuck you) and skill tree has been greatly extended and stuffed with so much shit it's impossible to remember all you can do in the combat, and every skill received 2-3 augments between which you need to choose (or download one of the mods available on nexus mods and enable all of them).
The story can be described as the purest of garbage. It's so shitty I feel offended and ashamed by giving it my time. It's incredible. Talion and Celebrimbor have no chemistry whatsoever (which they most definitely had in the previous game) and instead, I get a feeling like they despise each other. Talion turned into a giant pussy and Celebrimbor keeps nagging him with "Don't do it, it's a bad idea." only to turn out it indeed was a bad idea. Right at the start you have a new ring of power which you lose immediately but get it back later and you wouldn't believe what you can do with the new, better ring. That's right, the same power of dominating orcs you had in the first game. To top it, all the story is now full of women and all of them are absolutely awful. Every scene with them is pure cringe. There's not other way to describe it. It's just so bad.
The game also doesn't really let you to roam and play it as you want. You first need to go through the slog of first two acts, in which you can't do shit, because you have no powers, that you got used to in the first game, so killing anyone is a total asspain.
But all of that could be forgiven if the actual gameplay was good. I don't know what happened but I remember enjoying the first game a lot. The controls were really tight, the character did exactly what I wanted him to do, and combat felt impactful. Here, Talion keeps grapping everything but what I want, jumping to where I don't want him, attacking other enemies than I want. It's fucking bullshit. What pissed me off the most was fighting with 10+ orcs and their captain, getting captain to low health so he can be dominated, press and hold the E key to dominate him at the right moment when I'm sure nobody is going to attack me and Talion keeps using the power on somebody else. The captain is right in front of me. The character is looking at him. My camera is pointed at him. I'm pressing W key to go forward, to the captain, I press the key and Talion fucking starts dominating some poor idiot behind the camera I can't even see. This happened multiple times. Another thing that drives me nuts during combat - I keep getting promts to press a key to avoid incoming attack but either I'm locked into an animation or stucked due to collision and it's not possible to actually avoid the attack. At first I played on the brutal difficulty and got raped because of this shit so I dropped it to easy, to learn and ramp it up later. But it wasn't the difficulty. The game is just trash.
It's a piece of shit and it does nothing but frustrate me. I did everything there is to do in the Act 2 map, recruited 15 orc captains, ready to conquer the fortress and finish the act 2. Then I realized there's no enjoyment at all and uninstalled the game.
Fuck this shit.
Now I'll go and play Claw or something to remember the good Monolith back in the day.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Thanks. This seems like sound advice. I just discovered that server settings option in single player and your post gave me the incentive to look for it. I still need to get a good legendary weapon to get things rolling and the only way to do that is with beating a boss. I saw an interesting "how to" on YT where a player used poison and bleeding stacks on weapons to "melt" even the toughest bosses within a couple of minutes. Only problem is you need to beat a tough boss to get those poisons when I can't even beat the crocodile king on the newbie river yet (though I haven't tried recently but just the sight and the SIZE of that crocodile boss charging towards me had me quaking and running up a tree). This game is a vicious cycle of just running and running in circles (and running away!) until you find or make that one item that sets things in motion.
These are my suggestions for single-player server settings:
  • Progression - No XP rate changes should be needed
  • Day/Night Cycle - due to Conan Exiles being an MMORPG, there isn't a means of waiting / skipping time
    • Nighttime speed increase
    • Dusk/Dawn speed increase moderately
  • Survival
    • Consider unchecking the option for dropping all equipment & inventory with your corpse on death, which then requires a 'corpse run' to retrieve everything
  • Combat
    • Player damage multiplier - increase as a last resort, if you're encountering HP sponges (but consider first whether the area is too high level)
    • Player damage taken multiplier - decrease
    • NPC respawn multiplier - increase (longer duration to respawn)
    • Durability multiplier - decrease (affects non-combat tools as well)
  • Harvesting
    • Item spoil scale rate - decrease
    • Harvest amount multiplier - increase greatly
  • Crafting
    • Crafting time multiplier - decrease drastically
    • Thrall crafting time multiplier - decrease drastically
    • Fuel burn time multiplier - increase drastically
  • Abandonment
    • Disable building abandonment should be checked
    • Disable thrall decay should be checked
  • Chat - Irrelevant in single-player
  • Purge
    • Purge preparation time - Set to whatever is comfortable for you
Today I almost ragequit Conen Exiles for good. Went exploring a cave on the "easy" side of the map (eastern lands), and encountered a shit ton of skeletons and their boss. Taking on 4 or 5 at a time with me & my 20th lvl thrall, fine. But 15 + their 15' high boss? I also think there's one of those punishing mechanics present where if you die then enter the respawned area, there are MORE enemies than before. So it's one of those games. This was all before I disabled the annoying "corpse run" feature (fine for multiplayer but NOT for single-player). "I can recover from this." I thought. "I mean, I'm still in one piece (well, three pieces actually, spread throughout the map waiting to be retrieved) and I still have my base and my small army of thralls (albeit low lvl) protecting it." Then a Black Kappa came raging into camp and killed all my pets and thralls. But I disabled the corpse run and used your suggested settings so I'm ready for a new beginning.

This game is the most fun I've had not having fun in a long time but maybe with the new settings things will be sweeter. There's just so much in this world I want to explore and it's my first serious crafting game which I kind of enjoy.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Today I almost ragequit Conen Exiles for good. Went exploring a cave on the "easy" side of the map (eastern lands), and encountered a shit ton of skeletons and their boss. Taking on 4 or 5 at a time with me & my 20th lvl thrall, fine. But 15 + their 15' high boss? I also think there's one of those punishing mechanics present where if you die then enter the respawned area, there are MORE enemies than before. So it's one of those games. This was all before I disabled the annoying "corpse run" feature (fine for multiplayer but NOT for single-player). "I can recover from this." I thought. "I mean, I'm still in one piece (well, three pieces actually, spread throughout the map waiting to be retrieved) and I still have my base and my small army of thralls (albeit low lvl) protecting it." Then a Black Kappa came raging into camp and killed all my pets and thralls. But I disabled the corpse run and used your suggested settings so I'm ready for a new beginning.

This game is the most fun I've had not having fun in a long time but maybe with the new settings things will be sweeter. There's just so much in this world I want to explore and it's my first serious crafting game which I kind of enjoy.
Animal spawn points have a small chance of generating an elite variant that can make mincemeat of your thralls; this happened to me early in my game, but then I realized that placing building foundation materials over a spawn point disables it, which should be a priority for any spawn points close enough to your base for the animals to attack.

Not sure which boss monster you encountered, but there are some higher-level dungeons even in the lower-level areas. The 'journey steps' don't provide as much guidance as they should, so if you're experiencing too much trouble in determining where to explore next you might look up some information on a suggested route by level / equipment.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Animal spawn points have a small chance of generating an elite variant that can make mincemeat of your thralls; this happened to me early in my game, but then I realized that placing building foundation materials over a spawn point disables it, which should be a priority for any spawn points close enough to your base for the animals to attack.

Not sure which boss monster you encountered, but there are some higher-level dungeons even in the lower-level areas. The 'journey steps' don't provide as much guidance as they should, so if you're experiencing too much trouble in determining where to explore next you might look up some information on a suggested route by level / equipment.
I might take a break until I can figure out how to create a dedicated server in singleplayer. The two options most preventing me from fully enjoying this game in SP mode were "corpse runs" and the respawn rate for NPCs and monsters. Apparently the "NPC Respawn Multiplier" doesn't work in singleplayer unless you're on a dedicated server. This is what most kills my fun in this game. I clear out that cave of monsters except for a few remaining minions and maybe the boss, then I take a few steps away from the cave to recoup, turn around, and the cave is filled with monsters again. This becomes tedious. I like games where I clear out an area, at least for a little while. A few random respawns, fine. But respawing EVERYTHING within seconds? Nuh uh. Don't like it. The problem I foresee here though is that if I create a dedicated server I have to start a new game, which sucks.

One other, less negative observation: I like the "corruption" system, for both you and monsters. It forces you to stay on your toes, otherwise you rush through an area to get somewhere specific, turn around and find your thrall dead because he encountered a corrupted hyena or crocodile. But what the game really needs is corrupted cows:

mf382vg.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
Against the storm. Fucking brilliant. Best settlement builder I've played, EVER.

The weather is nice so there's so much stuff to do OUTSIDE not to mention work and I'm playing a damn game. Hope it'll let me go soon but I've a steam friend with 600h played so that's not very likely.

pickmeister

Learned
My wife was in a mood to watch me play something with story and full voice acting. We settled on Disco Elysium.

Holy shit what a mistake that was. Nuked it from my computer 10 minutes in. We don't know what it was but the game managed to be physically repulsive.
It tried so hard to be philosophical and quirky only room temperature IQ idiot could be entertained by that.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
My wife was in a mood to watch me play something with story and full voice acting. We settled on Disco Elysium.

Holy shit what a mistake that was. Nuked it from my computer 10 minutes in. We don't know what it was but the game managed to be physically repulsive.
It tried so hard to be philosophical and quirky only room temperature IQ idiot could be entertained by that.

I've tried to start it a few times. I think part of the issue is that they're trying so hard to make it about JUST SOME GUY.

There's nothing to care about.

I could look past the commie propaganda and just enjoy the story for what it is, if I could just give a shit about the characters.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played a game of Dota 2 with a bro and broette. Had to join two randos, but they pulled their weight. For most of the game, it looked like we were going to lose. I was playing like dogshit for most of the game, but managed to actually step up in the end. How we won, I barely even know myself. For the last 20 minutes, we were just hanging in there, expecting the loss. Yelling at each other, blaming the tank, blaming the support, basically everyone complaining. They could have taken our base, but 10 seconds of hesitation from them, and we managed to defend. After that, we managed to win two consecutive team fights, and it was game over for the other team. I'm more used to losing this way, than actually winning.

Greedfall is overstaying its welcome. It's good old Spiders, but it's too long for its own good. I think that I am 35 hours in, but their game shouldn't really be longer than 25 hours. Too repetitive, and too few monster types. I'm now just going from quest marker to quest marker.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

i had the exact same reaction to it lol though i might have played it 30 minutes total instead of 10

but definitely ditto on 'physically repulsive'

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed the writing in Disco Elysium.
Despite that i also played it only for an hour or so and i am yet to master the interest to continue it for some reason that eludes me.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I kind of lost all interest in playing DE when I saw that pic of the developers practically genuflecting before a photo of Joseph Stalin. If that photo had a cock they would have surely been sucking it together like two subby chicks in a pornhub video pleasing their man. Sickening.

hayst

Educated
I enjoyed the writing in Disco Elysium.
Despite that i also played it only for an hour or so and i am yet to master the interest to continue it for some reason that eludes me.
I had a few cold starts on Disco before mustering up the energy to get a full run going. Ended up using the Thinker build which helped.

Machocruz

Arcane

I might take a break until I can figure out how to create a dedicated server in singleplayer. The two options most preventing me from fully enjoying this game in SP mode were "corpse runs" and the respawn rate for NPCs and monsters. Apparently the "NPC Respawn Multiplier" doesn't work in singleplayer unless you're on a dedicated server. This is what most kills my fun in this game. I clear out that cave of monsters except for a few remaining minions and maybe the boss, then I take a few steps away from the cave to recoup, turn around, and the cave is filled with monsters again. This becomes tedious. I like games where I clear out an area, at least for a little while. A few random respawns, fine. But respawing EVERYTHING within seconds? Nuh uh. Don't like it. The problem I foresee here though is that if I create a dedicated server I have to start a new game, which sucks.

One other, less negative observation: I like the "corruption" system, for both you and monsters. It forces you to stay on your toes, otherwise you rush through an area to get somewhere specific, turn around and find your thrall dead because he encountered a corrupted hyena or crocodile. But what the game really needs is corrupted cows:

mf382vg.jpg
I just play on whatever the default single-player 'server' is, and I was able to change the NPC respawn time. It helped with thrall hunting as enemy settlements were repopulating too quickly for my taste. It requires exiting and reloading the game to take effect though, as many changes do. I play the Game Pass console version, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've had corpse run off for 90% of my game. It's a time waster, not a challenge.

I've been able to defeat a few of the 3-skull bosses, including the one in the skeleton cave you mentioned, while others still only take slivers of damage from star metal weapons and a 20th level Cimmerian 3 thrall. I killed three of the giant crocs (not the one near the noob area, which might be the toughest of all of them), a big rock creature in the rocky area west of The Den, spider cave boss, etc. They are all boring at any rate, it boils down to circling with a shield up and attack when they aren't facing me. I've found the story bosses to be a lot easier to beat but still not interesting or fun. You're not really missing anything by not doing any of that shit, honestly. I have about half a dozen of the legendary weapons and...meh. I just play when I have a new build idea or want to explore. I've really enjoyed it but it is ultimately under-cooked as a SP game. I would just wiki anything that has to do with getting to the end-game and decide if it is worth pursuing to you. Since the boss fights are so basic and bland, I wouldn't even blame you for changing the settings to make them go down faster; I didn't feel rewarded after beating any of them, it isn't Ninja Gaiden or Dragon's Dogma. Or there is a mod that balances them for single-player.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

mf382vg.jpg
I just play on whatever the default single-player 'server' is, and I was able to change the NPC respawn time. It helped with thrall hunting as enemy settlements were repopulating too quickly for my taste. It requires exiting and reloading the game to take effect though, as many changes do. I play the Game Pass console version, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've had corpse run off for 90% of my game. It's a time waster, not a challenge.

I've been able to defeat a few of the 3-skull bosses, including the one in the skeleton cave you mentioned, while others still only take slivers of damage from star metal weapons and a 20th level Cimmerian 3 thrall. I killed three of the giant crocs (not the one near the noob area, which might be the toughest of all of them), a big rock creature in the rocky area west of The Den, spider cave boss, etc. They are all boring at any rate, it boils down to circling with a shield up and attack when they aren't facing me. I've found the story bosses to be a lot easier to beat but still not interesting or fun. You're not really missing anything by not doing any of that shit, honestly. I have about half a dozen of the legendary weapons and...meh. I just play when I have a new build idea or want to explore. I've really enjoyed it but it is ultimately under-cooked as a SP game. I would just wiki anything that has to do with getting to the end-game and decide if it is worth pursuing to you. Since the boss fights are so basic and bland, I wouldn't even blame you for changing the settings to make them go down faster; I didn't feel rewarded after beating any of them, it isn't Ninja Gaiden or Dragon's Dogma. Or there is a mod that balances them for single-player.
I wish someone would make a mod for this that turned it into a fun singleplayer game with progression and re-balanced bosses instead of some of the ridiculousness we see in the official SP. I mean, having one of the toughest bosses in the newbie area (that crocodile)? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Machocruz

Arcane
I wish someone would make a mod for this that turned it into a fun singleplayer game with progression and re-balanced bosses instead of some of the ridiculousness we see in the official SP. I mean, having one of the toughest bosses in the newbie area (that crocodile)? You gotta be fucking kidding me
Heh I don't even think it's one of the toughest in the game, just of that species. At least the croc bosses' attacks are relatively easy to avoid. You have other bosses just as tanky, if not more, AND can hit you every few seconds. While you circle strafe. Over your shield. With poison :\

I think Subnautica and The Forest are good examples of how to do story progression in survivalcraft. Nothing ostentatious, no arrows or markers or NPC helper companions, minimalist with just enough guidance to maintain an air of mystery and discovery, but a sense you are working towards concrete goals nonetheless.

And just so you know, they updated the journey steps not too long ago. They are better at introducing you to individual mechanics and features than before, but worse at leading you through the "campaign".

Ivan

Arcane
Gamepass shit

Persona 4 Golden :3.5/5:

Rolled credits at the 50 hour mark. This is my 2nd Persona game, after playing 5 Royal. I enjoyed the companions and their character progressions much more here than in 5. I was a bit moved to say goodbye to them. I started having a better time halfway through the game when I lowered the difficulty to the easiest setting so I could breeze through the combat, which I found to be pretty dull. I didn't mind that the dungeons themselves were super linear (they feel like Mementos from 5) but it was the grind of the combat that kept turning me off.

Aside from the combat, I also disliked how the game paces its arcs over a set number of days. I wish we could expedite the process and do away with so much fucking around. I'd love for every companion interaction to be meaningful versus the ones that just inch you closer to the next beat. There were many in-game days that I felt like I just had to spend b/c of the structure, that was also one of the turn offs. This is definitely what makes these games so fucking long.

The music is outstanding, and the voiceover work is well done as well. Troy Baker was particularly wonderful as Kanji.

Planet of Lana

An hour in thus far and it's sleep inducingly boring. The puzzle design is weak and the feel of adventure is almost nonexistant. It feels like it's going for a Playdead type of experience (Limbo, Inside) but it's just so safe and visually one note.

Supraland: Six Inches Under

I loved Supraland, so this was a welcome return. It's a brand new expansion that retains the strong exploration from the base game. The game is at its best when its puzzles are tied to some character or theme.

Last edited:

pickmeister

Learned
I've tried to start it a few times. I think part of the issue is that they're trying so hard to make it about JUST SOME GUY.

There's nothing to care about.

I could look past the commie propaganda and just enjoy the story for what it is, if I could just give a shit about the characters.
i had the exact same reaction to it lol though i might have played it 30 minutes total instead of 10

but definitely ditto on 'physically repulsive'
Disco Elysium is 3Deep5U commie propaganda, below trash tier. It's pathetic. Room-temperature IQ enjoyers only.
I could look past the commie propaganda .. probably .. but I didn't even get to it. I Alt + F4'd after leaving the room.
First, there was this lizard brain voiceover where the voice actor sounded like a complete retard despite trying really hard, which already started to severely annoy me.
Then I appear to play as this disgusting creature that seems to have a huge fucking problem with booze and getting a grip on life and I do not have any tolerance for addicts and junkies. So I'm looking at this pathetic piece of shit of a man and the game keeps trashing me for every choice or click it asked me to do.
"Oh, great, you made a step. Didn't expect that. It's not every day when you manage to make a single step, huh?"
I guess the plan was for the player to be amused or feel somehow related to the character but that's not happening unless you're a mouthbreathing moron.

Well, I pirated this piece of shit, so right back at ya.

Time for some more Dragon's Dogma.

Is that a bro who recently transitioned? I wouldn't ask 10 years ago but nowadays, ya know..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom