Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Ghostwire Tokyo. A beautiful game with an interesting premise and full of Japanese folklore, brought down by Ubisoft-style, checklist-driven, gameplay design. Interesting to play until a few hours in, when you've seen all the combat animations it has to offer and all the mission types, then it's rinse and repeat until the end. Get it on a deep sale or in a bundle (which is how I got it). I would say this studio went down the drain, but they also release that Hi Fi Rush game which many people like and say has great gameplay. So I don't know what went wrong with Ghostwire, but even the Japanese sometimes go full Ubisoft/retard. Guess the writing was on the wall with Evil Within 2.
20230608094551-1.jpg

20230608105703-1.jpg
BRO HI FI RUSH

VERY WELL DONE AND STYLIZED

DECENT MECHANICS BUT JUST GETS BY ON PRESENTATION

Gamezor

Learned
Been playing a lot of sleeping dogs, actually love this game thus far. Its like gta but undercover cop in hong kong and better. So far the writing is good and MC is compelling. Sidequests are generally good and help you improve abilities so there is a reason to do them. Has far exceeded expectations. I think im maybe 1/3 through.
BRO MUCH LICKING YUO

THE STORY IS GOOD AND FTITS THE GAMEPLAYY

THE GAMEPLAY AND STORY AND ATMOSPHERE ARE ALL DONE WELL ENOYGH THAT THEY MAKE THE GAME BETTER

NOT A GENRE BUT ONE OF THE BEST GTA LIKE GAMES AND I WOULD CONSIDER PLAYING IT AGAIN

ANOTHER FAVORITE OF MINE IS CRACKDOWN

THEIR WAS ALMOST NO STORY

THE COMBAT AND EXPLORATION AND PROGRESSION WAS FUN

LOLLLOL AND THE MINMAL SHIT STORY WAS AT LEAST AMUSING
I finished sleeping dogs and regret rushing through all the main missions. I could see myself come back in a year to do everything. Just had a lot of fun, liked the characters, good voice acting and script, good graphics, animations look good, fun gameplay, and game was not bloated with bs or politics or some unneeded random loot system. I even liked the driving which most people seem to hate.

I feel like game devs could not make this game as well now and if they did technically it would have some lame political angle or a bunch of troons or whatever.

curds

Magister
Finished Kotor 1 and now about 20 hours into Kotor 2, first time ever playing it.

First game is pretty good for what it is (Bioware RPG) and I enjoyed it, but the sequel is head-and-shoulders above in quality. I was never really a Star Wars fan so it's enjoyable to see the setting picked at a little; like the way that the teachings of the Jedi order are shown to be kinda flawed and contradictory.

One thing I liked more about kotor 1 is that it felt richer in terms of side content. In kotor 2 I feel like you basically just run through the main quest with very little distractions along the way. Which I guess is fine, but I'm a sucker for some side questing.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Kotor 1 and now about 20 hours into Kotor 2, first time ever playing it.

First game is pretty good for what it is (Bioware RPG) and I enjoyed it, but the sequel is head-and-shoulders above in quality. I was never really a Star Wars fan so it's enjoyable to see the setting picked at a little; like the way that the teachings of the Jedi order are shown to be kinda flawed and contradictory.

One thing I liked more about kotor 1 is that it felt richer in terms of side content. In kotor 2 I feel like you basically just run through the main quest with very little distractions along the way. Which I guess is fine, but I'm a sucker for some side questing.
Kotor 1 is classic Star Wars.
Kotor 2 is Star Wars, but more nuanced and with more depth. Also way darker in tone than your typical Star Wars story.

KOTOR1 being "classic Star Wars" means that it gets boring after a while, because it is a plainly averae StarWars game. The setting for KOTOR had a Morrowind-esque environment in swamps and stuff like that, with low tech for a SW setting, very reminiscent of that sort of atmosphere. When the game was made Bioware was told to make it more Star Wars-y to make it fit better with the movies.

Hammerite

Novice
After stopping with Persona 4 Golden at the last dungeon (not my jam, couldn't bring myself to finish it), and now that I finished System Shock thanks to the patch that was released, I relaunched Baldur's Gate EE for the third (fourth?) time, now planning to finish it for real.

Zenithsan

Educated
I'm finally playing one of those "masterpieces" that I have in my backlog: Shadow of Chernobyl.
After years of playing okayish games, I'm eager to play something great. Maybe I would finally get to change my top 10 list, that's been the same for far too long.

I'm doing it blind of course, max difficulty and no music.
I did watch Tarkovsky's Stalker, and I read the original book. But I doubt I got spoiled anything.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I did watch Tarkovsky's Stalker, and I read the original book. But I doubt I got spoiled anything.

The games only take minor inspiration from Roadside Picnic and the film. You'll appreciate the nods to the source material, but that's about it.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm finally playing one of those "masterpieces" that I have in my backlog: Shadow of Chernobyl.
After years of playing okayish games, I'm eager to play something great. Maybe I would finally get to change my top 10 list, that's been the same for far too long.

I'm doing it blind of course, max difficulty and no music.
Play in the dark. Don't spoil yourself. Have fun, if it clicks for you you're in for a treat.

BruceVC

Magister
I have decided to play Daggerfall Unity for the first time properly (I tried about 18 months but didnt understand or configure it properly and only lasted 6 hours )

Anyway this time I did my research and I have installed about 100 mods and Im using DREAM and all my mods are working fine and I have just reached Daggerfall town and Im having a great time ....loving it actually. Its the quintessential sandbox game

I'm going through BG2 after doing BG1 and I gotta say it's much, much better than both the first game and my memories of going through 2 like a decade back. The game is simply so much fun. I'm doing a party of dudes I usually never took before and Haer Dalis has been kinda great for me so far. Especially after getting the elven chainmail.

hayst

Educated
Had an itch for some old school fps and decided to try Boltgun. Near the end of chapter 3, its very fun. Love how each weapon feels powerful in it's own right.

curds

Magister
Finished kotor 2, was great. Will play it again some day, can't really see myself replaying the first one, though.

Started Mass Effect. Seems kinda shitty so far tbh. Only 1.5 hours in but feel like I've seen enough to know that it's not for me.

I might replay Gothic, Witcher 1 or VTMB instead. Got a slight hankering to replay Dragon's Dogma but I'm trying to hold off until there's some info about dd2's release date.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Fired up Fallout 2 with the Restoration Patch.
Fast Shot trait and Big Guns focused build, with Big Guns, Speech and Lockpick skills tagged, because that's how I roll.
Temple of Trials is, as always, tedious. Always liked Hakunin and his voice actor (Dwight Schultz).
Tip: When travelling in the wasteland and get hit by a random encounter you cannot avoid, immediately hit the A key on your keyboard. This will allow you to enter combat first and assess your overall chances. Do you think you can win or do you want to retreat? Obviously, a bit of an exploit, but it will keep you alive.
Getting ready to travel to Klamath and recruit Sulik, a tribal bro and one of the best companions in the game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Jedi: Fallen Order. My impressions are mostly the same. Fun exploration, good graphics, and okayish combat. I didn't care much for the story and characters. I also didn't go for all secrets/treasure chests/collectibles. I had my fill of Star Wars for now.

I turned on my Switch for the first time in quite a while, and completed the fourth case in Ace Attorney. No rocket science is needed to do well, but it's a fun and goofy game. I hope to beat the second and third games during my upcoming vacation.

NBA2K3 was on PS+, and I haven't played a basketball game in ages. Download, 2000+ freaking gigabytes. Started a MyCareer dude. Did pretty well, and the gameplay is fun enough, but I still uninstalled. Too much other shit around the whole thing. I wanted a palette cleanser from my regular rpg playing. I didn't want a basketball rpg.

I also have a 17 season long save file on Championship Manager 01/02, where I created myself as a player. I was 16 at the start, now 33. I'm almost getting real life depressed seeing the guy retiring in a couple of years.
This season, I also won the World Cup with the Czech Republic. No big country wanted to appoint me, despite being the best manager in the save file. My goalkeeper save three penalties in the final. It was probably the second most intense moment after my Champion's League win, where I won on penalties on the 13 penalty round.
Edit: lol, got the some things mixed up. I won the final World Cup final 1-0, and this year's CL was where my GK saved three penalties.

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
NBA 2k21 was my last NBA ever - after they turned off their servers I... lost the MyCareer game. I mean, why was it even online in the first place?

Oh, brofist for CM0102 - I am burned out of this game and have not touched it since 2019. Good game, I just feel I know everything about this.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NBA 2k21 was my last NBA ever - after they turned off their servers I... lost the MyCareer game. I mean, why was it even online in the first place?

Oh, brofist for CM0102 - I am burned out of this game and have not touched it since 2019. Good game, I just feel I know everything about this.
Yeah, this is probably my last CM career for a long time in this game. I've got an itch to try out FM 06/07 once more.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

started playing this out of nostalgia and somehow got hooked. It's a short diablo-like, open world ARPG with MMO type quests and a story that is only there to get you around the map, plus the voice acting is so bad, sometimes I felt like the voice actors were trolling. Controls are kind of bad too as it's sometimes hard to click on enemies and often times you can't get on your horse. Still, I got hooked on it and beat the main quest in ~15 hours and started now the DLC, also unlocked a higher difficulty as it's common in ARPGs. Overall a rough but very fun game for ARPG fans.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Sacred was an OK franchise which suffered a very cruel death
I find it funny that the developers are German and the bad guys in this game are supposedly german too. like the kobolds speak german and when the final boss started speaking german I thought I had the wrong voice files installed.... or now that I think about it they may have kept those voice files in for the intl. release. either way it's funny.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Devil May Cry 4 SE,it's good but not as good as 5.Techinically it's fine for a game of its age,the gameplay is nice although not as good as 5,the camera is annoyng sometimes and the backtracking that it forces upon you is a dick move.All in all get in during a sale.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Kinda got bored with the first Warlords Battlecry. Not so much with the campaign itself(it's ok) but with my character - human pyromancer. Fire magic is awesome, useful and all but the human race you're forced to play as is lacking in perks that synergizes well with the Pyromancer class. And even despite me bumping my training skill a bit i still felt that the leveling is just too slow compared to it's sequels. Should have gone with the paladin or alchemist.

Instead of waiting for the patch that will return my lost hackblood talismen i decided to just restart the Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer and.. i gave up after the second level. Gameplay loop while it is good enough it's also not amazing enough to make me want to replay all the levels i already beaten. It's definitely the kind of game you want to check for it's presentation rather than it's gameplay. I will just check the last two levels on youtube instead.

Speaking of amazing gameplay, codex didn't lie to me. Ashes Afterglow is awesome.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Started playing Tomb Raider Legend. Quickly realized my view of the LAU trilogy is likely through rose tinted glasses. The levels are incredibly linear, there's so many insufferable human combat encounters you just want to get over with it puts TR2 to shame, and the platforming is barely any better than in the reboots. It practically plays itself. I got to Kazakhstan (the snow level in the abandoned soviet base) and gave up, the game is clearly not going to get any better. Exploring TRLE levels to cleanse my palette, any recommendations for great levels are always welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom