Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

pickmeister

Learned
What's the matter? Are you bothered by flawed, complex humans because you're some retarded zoomer fagit with no emotions?
There's nothing complex about being a junkie.
Now off with you.

Edit - seeing the rating of my post, I can see it triggered local drug addicts.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Can't refute this considering that every third dialogue reply you get is a *Make this situation about communism*
Makes sense, considering it's one of the three major ideologies. In the same vein it's fascist propaganda and centrist propaganda. Oh, and there is also feminist propaganda and gay propaganda (and a few other types). Except it's all a joke. Including the propaganda part. Anyone taking it seriously is retarded.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I wish someone would make a mod for this that turned it into a fun singleplayer game with progression and re-balanced bosses instead of some of the ridiculousness we see in the official SP. I mean, having one of the toughest bosses in the newbie area (that crocodile)? You gotta be fucking kidding me
Heh I don't even think it's one of the toughest in the game, just of that species. At least the croc bosses' attacks are relatively easy to avoid. You have other bosses just as tanky, if not more, AND can hit you every few seconds. While you circle strafe. Over your shield. With poison :\

I think Subnautica and The Forest are good examples of how to do story progression in survivalcraft. Nothing ostentatious, no arrows or markers or NPC helper companions, minimalist with just enough guidance to maintain an air of mystery and discovery, but a sense you are working towards concrete goals nonetheless.

And just so you know, they updated the journey steps not too long ago. They are better at introducing you to individual mechanics and features than before, but worse at leading you through the "campaign".
I hate with a passion hitpoint bloat bosses, and that's what I suspect it's all about with CE. Will never forget fighting that frog in the sewers in the Witcher 3 DLC where if you selected Hard dificulty all it did was add a few thousand extra hit points, and made a tedious battle even more tedious.

Ivan

Arcane
Rolled credits at the 50 hour mark.

Do you feel you rushed the experience or did you attempt a thorough playthrough?
I don't think there's any rushing when you have to do something each day of the calendar. I would have loved an option to pass time after clearing a story-critical dungeon at the cost of not advancing any social links.
I didn't min/max or use guides to complete all the links or anything like that. ~50hours netted a thorough playthrough, not a completionist one though.

Derringer

Prophet
Speed hacks are about the only way to make VN hybrids like Persona more bearable to go through since the combat doesn't carry throughout the padded slice-of-life campaign elements (there certainly isn't enough variety or reactivity in the combat).

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Lately i played Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer(that's the full name of the game, yes) - another one of those throwback shooters.
It's good. I absolutely adore the early 2000s internet and "Nu-Metal" aesthetic. Levels are fairly big with a lot of stuff in them to explore. Weapons are creative, like the sludge thrower that acts as a grenade launcher that summons friendly rats or the minigun that also doubles as the chainsaw and have enough recoil to help you jump higher.
I was worried at first that the difficulty level i chose was too easy but my worries proved to be unfounded once the werewolfs begun to show up.

Unfortunately, i ran into a quite unpleasant bug at the boise potato festival level(great level btw). Tried to access a certain secret a bit too early methinks and all the walls on the level decided to disappear. I was forced to restart the level and all of my weapons also decided to disappear including the plot critical Hackblood Talismen!
I mean, it's a weapon that allows me to do this shit
159SlayersXTerminalAfte.png

And it seems to be not the kind of weapon that you can find again in a secret somewhere. Somehow managed to complete boise potato festival without it but it was clear that i was not supposed to do that without the talismen.
I confirmed that this is a bug after some forum search, hope that the next patch will fix it. Will put this game on hold until when.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante. It's a book with some C&C and a kind of stat system. I meant to just take a quick look before dinner, and I've now been glued to it for 4 hours. Really enjoyable and interesting. Makes me wish it was more of a "proper" RPG.

The choices make it interesting, but they don't seem to change enough to actually make it replayable, although I am just about to reach adulthood so I can't be certain on that.

Pretty cool.
It's a drug.

Hard to tell how non-linear it is and how much meta knowlage is required to not get screwed, but so far, midway through, it's just a very engaging story and a satisfying "gameplay" loop of making choices that influance your stats and relationships.

It could be as shallow as Yes, Your Grace, but I don't think it is. It definitely has none of the busywork.

Highly recommended.

Psquit

Arcane
Fear & hunger, finally finished this classic. I love that streamers and YouTubers discovered this hidden rough gem, it's quite the complex game with it's own unique mechanics. At first i despised this shit for: 1st being a rpg maker game; 2nd being rng heavy and lastly the permanent debuffs, once i start playing the way you're supposed to be doing it... shit just click.

While members of this forum call the game try hard edge fest, i would also point that most likely those critics play shit like wasteland 2 (it's an okay game, too much bloat) or other unity garbo tier turn based abomination. Sure, it's not 100% original when it comes to story, i have yet to play a crpg that goes this deep.

Ivan

Arcane
The Last Campfire 3/4 :3.5/5:

A cute, small puzzler with a nice combo of indie production values, music, and enough puzzle variety to keep one compelled. It'll run you a handful of hours or so. It's on the easy side, and the story isn't a huge part of the experience, so I'd say it's a good title to play with little ones.

-strengths: I like the back and forth between solving the isolated puzzles vs the overworld puzzles. it helps the game's pacing and there's some nice character work done via the NPCs you meet

-weakness: would have liked some tougher puzzles toward the end /would have liked the ability to skip the annoying cutscene that occurs every time you clear a puzzle/would have liked an instant puzzle restart button

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did a second run of Warhammer: Chaosbane with my brother. We upped the difficulyu a few steps to one of the chaos difficulties. Chaos 5, I think.

Greedfall never ends. On two occasions, I though that I was about to beat the game, but it keeps going. Glakcing at the achievements, I should have only a few hours left.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Began a game of System Shock 2, this time time in Stereo3D and EAX audio for full immersion. Last time i played the game was 15 years ago so feels pretty fresh. And i never finished it so planning to this time unless i get too spooked.

Krivol

Magister
I have a blast with Fallout 2 mods - I started with Nevada, and now playing Olympus 2077, Resurrection and Sonora are planned.

God those Ruskies modders are geniuses! Stop killing innocent fascists and start modding Fallout, Asian scums!

(I know Ressurection is not ruski mod, but Królewiec connects those people, so...)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Against the storm. Fucking brilliant. Best settlement builder I've played, EVER.
I just got that flu too. Great game, very addictive. Captures the initial fun of colony builders, when you are establishing things, and then quits before you get to the dull midgame. Roguelite base progression, so you are incentivised to establish and build up colonies, fast as possible, in diverse terrain, and move to the next one.

Harpies resolve is busted though, hate these fuckers. Impossible to please.

jackofshadows

Magister
I just got that flu too. Great game, very addictive. Captures the initial fun of colony builders, when you are establishing things, and then quits before you get to the dull midgame. Roguelite base progression, so you are incentivised to establish and build up colonies, fast as possible, in diverse terrain, and move to the next one.

Harpies resolve is busted though, hate these fuckers. Impossible to please.
Well said. However, when you get to the prestigious difficulties, games will become longer, much longer even if you consider pause time with planning and sheit. Still, nowhere near the boredom of lategame in lets say, Stellaris.

Harpies seems annoying at first thanks to their low initial resolve, yeah but you can just keep them on "favorite" for some time untill you get any suitable complex food for them or cloaks (I bet you also don't have their starting ability yet which gives 50 cloaks for free, I still don't, too).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
However, when you get to the prestigious difficulties, games will become longer, much longer even if you consider pause time with planning and sheit.
I don't think that would be to the game's strength, and might turn me off. Its already awkward having to develop more than one living quarter, but so far my missions end before I need to go far with that.

jackofshadows

Magister
I don't think that would be to the game's strength, and might turn me off. Its already awkward having to develop more than one living quarter, but so far my missions end before I need to go far with that.
You have to utilize game mechanics somehow, managing resources (the ones for new hearths too, it does matter when you'll have +50% to building cost), some corners are useless untill lategame etc. Also if you've played your cards right, the late gameplay = afk untill the rep scale is filled anyway. But I get your point.

Although, once you've learned early game (and saw all the biomes) you want new challenges and thats what p. difficulies are for even though they extend the single game time. Also there're many modifiers which do make wonders in terms of gameplay diversifying (as the game in general).

ferratilis

Magister
Ghostwire Tokyo. A beautiful game with an interesting premise and full of Japanese folklore, brought down by Ubisoft-style, checklist-driven, gameplay design. Interesting to play until a few hours in, when you've seen all the combat animations it has to offer and all the mission types, then it's rinse and repeat until the end. Get it on a deep sale or in a bundle (which is how I got it). I would say this studio went down the drain, but they also release that Hi Fi Rush game which many people like and say has great gameplay. So I don't know what went wrong with Ghostwire, but even the Japanese sometimes go full Ubisoft/retard. Guess the writing was on the wall with Evil Within 2.
20230608094551-1.jpg

20230608105703-1.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I uninstalled A Plague Tale. I was hoping for a stealth game, but the gameplay that this title offers was not what I had in mind. Looks great, though.

In Jedi Fallen Order, I defeated The Ninth Sister, and the Gorgara. I don't love the combat, but it's okay. Exploration is fun, with new abilities being unlocked as you progress the story. Are level structures believable? No. Are they fun to explore? Yes. There are some nice vistas and set pieces. Story and characters are pretty trash. The main character really bothers me for some reason. A decent game, and I would play the sequel if it hits PS+.

(Yakuza) Like A Dragon: Ishin!
It basically plays like the PS3 Yakuza games. No surprise, since this is a remake of a PS3/PS4 game. There are four combat styles to use, each very distinctive from the other. To me, combat has been fun, and there is decent vareity. Lots of story, and cut scenes, plus a lot of crazy shit going on. You know what you're getting youself into when you start a game in the series. One should probably also mention that there are lots of side activities/minigames, too. Fishing, serving food, slashing incoming cannon balls, and more.
Today, I played for three hours straight, and had a blast.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Played a couple of games recently besides the usual Quake mods.
Quasimorph: End of Dream
A free demo to the unreleased yet Quasimorph roguelike. Someone was clearly inspired by the stoneshard because it's prominiently features different states of pain and the whole "applying bandages to the hurt bodypart" thing. Compared to the Stoneshard this already looks like a more complete game even if somewhat simple.
Roguelike are really not my genre though. Hate losing my progress in any way or form.

Tower of Kalemonvo
A not too shabby looking clone of the Diablo 1 specifically. Enjoyed D1 until it stopped being enjoyable, thus this game caught my eye. Main differences being:
-Inferior sound design, ost and ambience obviously
-You climb the tower instead of going deeper into hell
-No town, can't escape into the home portal in order to sell shit and stock up on consumables. Potion management is important.
-Weapons have combat arts attached to them, cost mana to use but instead of having to find the spellbooks you just need to meet the stat requirements. For example, with sword and shield you can perform block at the base constitution of 10, projectile reflection at the con12 and multi-strike if you reach agility 15. Plays almost like proper action game as you need to time your blocks/reflections right.
-Thanks to the above^ the basic sword and shield guy was fun to play. No longer need to duck into the corner the moment i ran into a firing squad.
-A bit more interesting stat system. Hard to find a stat i can neglect due to the way they work even as a pure fighter
-Enemies on the first floor felt a bit too spongy
Overall, liked the demo.

Warlords Battlecry, the first one. Realised that i didn't play it so now i am correcting this mistake.
BattlecryirAYkYEkFa.png

It's a drab looking game especially if you compare it to it's sequel. Even the building sprites are being shared amongst the many different races. Lacks a bunch of QoL things like the ability to put your spellcasters on auto-cast stance or many other type of stances.
In WB2/WB3 i loved to cast something like Eye of Oros and to simply put these floating orbs into a "scout" stance. Like i am directly ordering them to reveal the map for me, felt cool.

Can already tell it's an overall inferior game compared to it's sequels.
However, it features a proper story campaign with voice acting and proper characters. That hard to describe kind of storytelling that i really miss from the modern games.
Man, that Paridian guy really hates the elves.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Been playing a lot of sleeping dogs, actually love this game thus far. Its like gta but undercover cop in hong kong and better. So far the writing is good and MC is compelling. Sidequests are generally good and help you improve abilities so there is a reason to do them. Has far exceeded expectations. I think im maybe 1/3 through.
BRO MUCH LICKING YUO

THE STORY IS GOOD AND FTITS THE GAMEPLAYY

THE GAMEPLAY AND STORY AND ATMOSPHERE ARE ALL DONE WELL ENOYGH THAT THEY MAKE THE GAME BETTER

NOT A GENRE BUT ONE OF THE BEST GTA LIKE GAMES AND I WOULD CONSIDER PLAYING IT AGAIN

ANOTHER FAVORITE OF MINE IS CRACKDOWN

THEIR WAS ALMOST NO STORY

THE COMBAT AND EXPLORATION AND PROGRESSION WAS FUN

LOLLLOL AND THE MINMAL SHIT STORY WAS AT LEAST AMUSING

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom