Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Caim

Arcane
I can tell that's your first EDF, then.

Krivol

Magister
Snowrunner and it's... great! I bought it for a few cents, expecting nothing and I'm enjoying every moment of that game. Driving an overloaded truck in the mud, uphill, at night gives me a thrill, especially in hardcore mode (where you can't magically teleport stuck cars /can't even change cars that are far away from the others / and have to pay for gas).

The game has a shitton of DLCs (not a train simulator level but still) but right now I found the base game quite entertaining.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like usual, I am playing like ten games at the same time. Troubleshooter whenever I want the fix. Resumed my save in Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete.

In Undernauts, I have reached post game stuff. I wasn't going to do it at first, but it feels like the real challenge starts now. All six characters have been class upgraded, and learned some great skills. My fencer has an ability named Sturm & Drang. He gets multiple hits, at higher damage rate, but sacrifices defense. My bulwark has a skill that protects the entire party, and the ranger has a skill that ups weapon damage. Good synergies all around.

Nobody Saves the World. I was uncertain when I tried it, expecting souls like elements, but it's more regular action rpg. It's fun to change forms and combine different powers. You don't gain experience for fighting, but for completing tasks and quests. This has been a welcome surprise. It can also be played in couch co-op.

Valheim is progressing okay. We are exploring more and more regions. We have built houses at many locations. Currently up to 15 houses, or thereabouts. Some fights are hilarious, and sometimes you just get one shot by strong af enemies.

Sackoby's Little Big Adventure (I think that's the name). Fun platforming in couch co-op with my brother. I want more games like this. Controls feel much better tan previous games in the series. It is also structured differently, and has a different perspective, not side scrolling. My only disappointment is that there are no user generated levels. Can't have it all, I guess. We haven't started it yet, but once this is done, we have Streets of Rage 4 lined up.

Divinity: Original Sin (Classic) in two player co-op. Very early on, so I am not sure how long we will last. I recommended this version since I like the character building over the EE version.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney trilogy .These are some adventure/investigation/visual novel games where you play as the defense attorney Phoenix Wright while he tries to get not guilty verdicts for his clients. The gameplay is divided into two parts the investigation part where you move around talking to witnesses and finding clues and the trial parts where you have to cross examine witnesses and using various items and question, break them to win the case.The graphics are pretty basic since these are basically HD version of GBA games but are tolerable,the whole thing with the screen shaking to show shock/anger/whatever became quite annoying pretty fast though. The gameplay is mostly good,the dialogues tend to be a bit overly long but are mostly fine. I think the second game was the weakest of the three. Overall an enjoyable collection

Also finished Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection that includes Uncharted 4 and its expansion Lost Legacy,my first Uncharted games. They are 3rd person shooters with some traversing sections and some light puzzles while you search for lost artifacts and treasure in the vain of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft. In the main game you play as Nathan Drake and you work with your brother that was considered dead to find the lost treasure Henry Avery.The characters are good and interesting and is the dialogue,graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is fine,it relies heavily on having a companion which in general is your brother in the main game(no coop available though).In the expansion you play as Chloe a character from previous games and you mostly have a black woman from the main game as your companion, graphics and gameplay are basically the same but the characters and dialogue aren't as good so the whole expansion isn't as good as the main game imho.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, with that Im finished with the series so far and Ill be waiting for the next game. It was a wild ride, I still remember contemplating starting to playing this series, seeing the how many games I had to play and put off a bit by it. And while not all of them were great I did enjoy playing almost all of them and Im happy I did. Infinite Wealth is overall a good game, story and new characters a bit lacking but the presence of Kiryu elevates the story from complete mediocrity. Where game shines is the gameplay as the world is full of interesting things to find and do. Its a just a fun game to play despite underwhelming story, characters and ending. I understand they want to leave something for a next game but at this point I just want Kiryu story to be resolved, the guy deserves a retirement and a happy end.

My latest ranking: 0>Judgement>LaD>1>LostJ>InWealth>2>5>6>4>3>Gaiden

Now after a small break Im gonna start playing DLC for Talos Principle 2.

AndyS

Augur
I played through Mercs last night, which I hadn't played since it was in arcades. Pretty good Ikari ripoff by Capcom, I believe it's actually supposed to be a Commando sequel. Up to three-player simultaneous play. Fun and it looks great as Capcom games always do. My one major complaint is that the soundscape is a bit underdeveloped. It really shows when you get the flamethrower and start torching guys and they just silently fall down. I prefer games in which people lit on fire have a couple of seconds of running around and screaming before they die. That always cracks me up.

Crichton

Prophet
First time :what:playing Planescape:Torment (yeah, a bit late to the party). Started out as a fighter and dumped my attribute points where it didn't matter. Learned about the importance of WIZ and INT far too late into the game for a restart, so I'm using charms and just improvising to get most out of the dialog options. I'm at the very end and I initiated the conversation with the good incarnation with low INT, so I (annoyingly) can't use the bronze sphere. Will have to reload and think this over again. All in all I'm impressed by the game, it lives up to the hype. One of rare games where I actually enjoy reading through walls of text.

I did the same thing during my first playthrough, had a total crap build, and it ended up being a great experience; in some ways I actually like that ending better than the "best" one:

I couldn't open the sphere or force TO to merge so I had to fight him, but I bought time to go bring my companions back, listening to their lines about the upcoming fight and then beating TO after a pretty severe struggle are a real RPG highlight.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finished the original Psychonauts. I mean, wow. By wow I mean, what the fuck. Been a while since I've played a 3D platformer with camera this shit and controls this imprecise. At least most of the boss fights were just gimmicks, like a little watered down version of Okami boss fights, which game was released a year after Psychonauts.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finished Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, with that Im finished with the series so far and Ill be waiting for the next game. It was a wild ride, I still remember contemplating starting to playing this series, seeing the how many games I had to play and put off a bit by it. And while not all of them were great I did enjoy playing almost all of them and Im happy I did. Infinite Wealth is overall a good game, story and new characters a bit lacking but the presence of Kiryu elevates the story from complete mediocrity. Where game shines is the gameplay as the world is full of interesting things to find and do. Its a just a fun game to play despite underwhelming story, characters and ending. I understand they want to leave something for a next game but at this point I just want Kiryu story to be resolved, the guy deserves a retirement and a happy end.

Everytime I take a look at Judgement I can see two things - people fanboying it relentlessly, while at the same time the game sports an impressively gay protagonist I'm not sure I wanna play as at all. I'd be interested why you yourself place the game so high up the ladder.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Everytime I take a look at Judgement I can see two things - people fanboying it relentlessly, while at the same time the game sports an impressively gay protagonist I'm not sure I wanna play as at all. I'd be interested why you yourself place the game so high up the ladder.

The main character at first glance does somewhat looks off with his appearance, as it fits more to teenager then a man in late 30s. That said you do get used to it since he is a good character. Strong point of the game is that the story is really good, as are new characters. The base gameplay is fun and its expanded with new detective missions. And the more serious, noir atmosphere and story is really well done while also managing to balance it with standard Yakuza over the top humor and combat sequences. Its just a great game with few flaws.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've never really stopped feeling the want for flight sims. So yesterday I said fuck it and downloaded Flightgear, because why not, last time I tried was a decade ago so it now must be quite good.

Managed to fly my puny Cessna 172 around, works ok with my xbox pad. Really this simulator is the poster child of open source development :
- Solid, professional top tier core filled with features, as good or better than most paying software.
- Terrible and bugged UI.
- Awful defaults you have to change by fighting the terrible UI.
- Non existent optimization.
- Development stuck in limbo.

Here what it's like to fly around Brittany in 2024 with some lag :

fgfs-20240803113604.jpg

So yeah, maybe I'll jump the shark and download the 500Go of DCS next.

Semiurge

Cipher
I've started the first original expansion of Quake II - The Reckoning, and the 2023 remaster adds a

flashlight pickup!

:happytrollboy:

It works great and doesn't even use any energy.

I've never really stopped feeling the want for flight sims. So yesterday I said fuck it and downloaded Flightgear, because why not, last time I tried was a decade ago so it now must be quite good.

Managed to fly my puny Cessna 172 around, works ok with my xbox pad. Really this simulator is the poster child of open source development :
- Solid, professional top tier core filled with features, as good or better than most paying software.

View attachment 53059

Can you crash the planes into populated areas? Lame if not possible.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've started the first original expansion of Quake II - The Reckoning, and the 2023 remaster adds a

flashlight pickup!

View attachment 53059

I like Ground Zero better than The Reckoning.
But still, both are pretty good.

Semiurge

Cipher

flashlight pickup!

View attachment 53059

This is the first time I've had a chance to play those two because of the save game corruption bug that somehow made it into the previous digital releases. I never cared to download a fanmade port of Q2.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

flashlight pickup!

View attachment 53059

This is the first time I've had a chance to play those two because of the save game corruption bug that somehow made it into the previous digital releases. I never cared to download a fanmade port of Q2.
Try KMQuake.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
If you try to crash a plane it kind of bounces and you only have a "you crashed" message.

Meanwhile I've tried DCS. It Just Works and is beautiful. I'm gonna toy with the free planes for a while, see if I go further or not.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
had a freeish day yesterday so i sat down and replayed Sam & Max: Hit the Road again. yeah it's an OK LucasArts adventure, although I regard it as weaker than others, myself being a Monkey Island fanboy first and foremost. contrary to popular opinion, it has little moon logic to it, with probably the golf ball retriever-mounted Jesse James hand wielding a magnet to extract a hippie ring from the largest ball of twine mostly i don't like the message, at least Max comments on it snidely enough to avoid considering it an agenda

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

The main character at first glance does somewhat looks off with his appearance, as it fits more to teenager then a man in late 30s. That said you do get used to it since he is a good character. Strong point of the game is that the story is really good, as are new characters. The base gameplay is fun and its expanded with new detective missions. And the more serious, noir atmosphere and story is really well done while also managing to balance it with standard Yakuza over the top humor and combat sequences. Its just a great game with few flaws.
I really need to start playing that game. But the "Yakuza fatigue" is real. :negative:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I really need to start playing that game. But the "Yakuza fatigue" is real. :negative:
You mean fatigue of Yakuza-like games?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've been playing some Counter Strike: Deleted Scenes.
Sucks to have your game be named "Deleted Scenes", basically a single player mode for the ever popular Counter Strike: Condition Zero.
And it's actually pretty decent, the guns are a lot better in this one than in the base Condition Zero.
Some cool missions, but also some stinkers.
My favorite one is "Rise Hard".

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Still going very very slowly through Crystal Project(wasting hours of my life on infuriating jumping puzzles and trying to beat some optional bosses).
CrystalProjectymApTG.png

CrystalProjectfK1El4.png

:x
Still can't figure out how to beat this boss. Can handle everything just fine until the moment it reaches low health and activates AOE skill with some nasty DoT/Debuff effect. Rogue blind and interrupt skills doesn't seem to be working against this DoT attack. Debuffs from shaman that screws with AP generation/ability usage are helpful but not enough.
Some accesory/weapon swapping and 4 failed tries later finally decided to leave this Bloody Slop for now. Will come back later after a few more levels and some better gear.

Not really impressed by hunter abilities at a glance, will stick to my Rogue/Fencer combo unless i find a more interesting class.
Aegis has a pretty distinct style of tanking compared to your basic fighter. Rather than generating aggro by using taunts you rely on using a "cover" ability to take all of the hits meant for your black mage who just casted a huge explosion. Pretty neat.
Like the idea of Scholar/Blue mage class, you can clearly pair it up with a lot of other classes due to the variety of abilties that you can copy from monsters.
Wizard/Shaman seems like a nobrainer choice, will stick to this combo too unless i find something more fun.

I also tried Tenebris: Terra Incognito demo.
TenebrisTerraIncogni.jpg

Kinda neat, i think.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You mean fatigue of Yakuza-like games?
Can happen.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been on a From Software kick recently. First the Elden Ring DLC, then Sekiro, and now I'm playing Demon's Souls.

I had played through the majority of Sekiro before, but this time I stuck with it and completed two playthroughs back to back. Fantastic game. For the second I tried to make use of the prosthetics as much as possible, which was a fun change of pace. Setting myself the goal of both poisoning and setting on fire every enemy that seemed susceptible to it was an entertaining challenge, and it absolutely melts those bosses that are weak to them, although it's very tricky to do it, to the point that I think it's easier to play sword only even if you practice with the prosthetics a lot. If there's ever a Sekiro 2, I hope they'll make the prosthetics more attractive options that can be more seamlessly incorporated into the regular sword combat.

Demon's Souls I'd also started before, but PS3 emulation and my computer both being a bit crap at the time made it more frustrating than fun. Now though, I'm getting a smooth 60 FPS everywhere, and the only problem I've encountered so far is the game crashing at boss kills (which has happened twice and is admittedly very annoying). As for the game itself, it kicks ass. I'm a fan of Elden Ring and enjoyed the DLC a lot, but this is just a class above. It requires you to be so much more aware of your surroundings and so much more methodical in your actions. Just now I went through the Tower of Latria and fought the Fool's Idol, and it's an absolutely brilliant level, capped off by a great boss. Looking forward to playing more.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
I knew why I didn't want to install DCS.
I knew I would spend too much time on it.
I fucking knew it.

And here we are, today I've flow to Cyprus in a P-51, a 200nm trip, try to get as high as possible. Reached 42k ft, where the engine basically quit. According to wikipedia the P-51 service ceiling was 41k, so it makes sense, even if going over 35k was painful and I'm not sure it would make sense to go higher because the rapidly diminishing engine manifold pressure kills power. Also the carb was frozen. Still managed to do an Immelman at 35k, this is a docile plane.

The recompense for this intense flying was a wonderful dive :

Screen_240805_204646.jpg

Managed to zoom the montains at 500mph and nail a perfect landing, taxi and shutdown in front of the sunset.

Still, I fucking knew it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom