Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

StevenSullivan

Barely Literate
i'm playing Game of Farmers and spent a lot of time on it at first I enjoyed it very much but later on I found its greetings boring with no innovation, if you need an interesting game you can play minecraft game with configuration as well as the attraction it brings

gamerguy

Educated
still rockin Everspace1... great ship design all around

i haven't messed with the 4th one, but the first three are all really fun... to the point that it's tough to choose which to play

i'm fuckin with the gunship right now... using mine clusters, drones, turret, and aoe attacks... it's difficult to care about shields... but you can build a front facing activated shield too

rad

you can tell these guys are fans of the old space shooters... i really could have used this control scheme to play descent back in the day instead of that dumb space orb that i could never figure out

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm nearly done with Doom 3. Damn, this game is bad. It's real pretty to look at (for 2004 standards at least), but there's so much wrong with it that I don't ever see myself coming back to it.
  1. Sound mixing is dogshit. I can't listen to what NPCs are saying. Listening to PDAs is a pain in the ass as they bring level progress to a stand still as I listen closely to what characters are saying.
  2. On the topic of PDAs, it's one of the shittiest narrative devices out there. Gameplay-wise, they only serve to provide the player with locker codes for extra ammo and armor. Unfortunately, no thinking is required to unlock these, and only one PDA provides a genuine bonus for listening to it and remembering later into the game.
  3. Guns don't pack a punch. Any kind of punch, be it visuals, sounds, or gameplay. The shotgun has an awful spread, and you can only make the most out of it by shooting enemies point blank. Hitboxes appear to be very accurate, and since enemies move so goddamn much you will struggle hitting them even in close quarters.
  4. Monster closets are the worst thing to happen to this franchise. And Doom 3 is littered with them.
The game IS pretty. It's beautiful at times. But playing through it is hell.

BruceVC

Magister
I have decided to play Mafia 3 as my next game, it should be a good break from fantasy RPG and I feel like some random killing of civilians and creating chaos and mayhem in cities...real GTA style bedlam :incline:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Bruce VC said: Well it sounds like you have given it an objective chance, if you dont continue it wont be irrational or some kind of knee-jerk reaction

Its not for everyone, do you enjoy GTA games and if you do how would you compare RDR2 with lets say GTA4&5?

I have GTA5 in my library, dabbled in it (also San Andreas), and I've played GTA III up until I realized how ball crushingly difficult it was to lose cops in a chase. Yes, game design is similar in Rockstar Games if these titles are any indication... if you dumbed dumb difficulty in RDR2 to the point of one or two extra chromosomes. The one Rockstar game I played all the way through was the extraordinarily sick Manhunt many years ago on PC. Loved every second of it.

Been playing a lot of vidya Pinball. Although the feel of real machines will never be properly replicated, some of the stuff out there is pretty good. It's a shame that the licensing situation is a quagmire, so a lot of great RL tables are not really available at the moment, or suffer from outdated conversions in stuff like The Pinball Arcade (stuff from SEGA or Data East).

The obvious product out right now is Pinball FX, but they've done some really dumb stuff lately and I've never been a fan of their original designs. Their Williams recreations are pretty good overall but suffer from a fatal flaw in extremely bouncy flipper physics - if a ball drops from a ball trap 3 inches above on a held flipper it doesn't bounce all the way back to the middle of the playfield in RL. That's enough to ruin a lot of tables IMO. I also don't think they've done a good job with the sound in their pins - in RL you get a lot of feedback from the sound of the ball rolling against wood, and that's almost not replicated in Zen's product.

The new iteration of the Pinball FX platform looks worse in many respects than FX3, and they expect you to rebuy all tables, so fuck 'em.

A welcome surprise for me has been Zaccaria Pinball, which seems to be tragically obscure. Zaccaria was a Hungarian pinball manufacturer in the 70s and 80s, and they had some pretty solid tables that remind me of Gottlieb designs. Their output spans both electromechanical and solid state tables, and the videogame version is really nice, with great physics (definitely more realistic flipper physics than FX) and a lot of configurable options like time of day, lighting, etc. which might seem superfluous but it actually makes a significant difference while playing. There's a ton of tables, and I think you can unlock a bunch simply by playing. There are more modes than in Pinball FX, including a weird campaign mode and a story mode, which give you some challenges and are a nice way of running through the whole catalog.

The sound is also spot on and very satisfying - the ball speeding through the wooden playfield sounds perfect and voices/music aren't as obnoxious as in FX. There are some truly excellent tables like Time Machine (I think that's the free table, incidentally), a remake of Time Machine, Zandor, etc. In addition to remakes, they've also done "modern" deluxe versions of some of their old designs in the FX vein (they even had a full colour display instead of the DMD before FX did), these are hit and miss but some are pretty cool. So some tables have 3 or even 4 versions (there's also a weird "retro" version of more modern designs to harken back to EM). I tend more towards the simpler, more elegant designs instead of the spazzy shit in FX originals, and there's a lot to like here. Even the old EM tables are fun if you're in the right mindset and are prepared to do a lot more nudging than usual (people who play vpin tend to underestimate how much nudging is an integral part of RL pinball).

Overall a great package and tables are much cheaper than the competition. It's a small company (Magic Pixel) but Zen could really learn a lot from this product. They haven't been updating very much recently, which makes me think it didn't sell well at all. It's a shame. Check it out with an open mind.

Currently there's a sale (50% off) on the Platinum Pack, which features all tables , it's around 50 USD in my region but might be significantly more in the US. At 50 bucks it's a steal.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3672/Zaccaria_Pinball__Platinum_Pack/

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
it's around 50 USD in my region but might be significantly more in the US.
$119.26
After the 50% discount. That's bananas. I think I'd just buy an actual pinball machine if I liked pinball that much.
I think you'd ve surprised at how much an actual pinball machine costs. They're very premium collector's items now

That's probably true, but they were expensive even 20 years ago. I suppose my point was more along the lines of, you'd have to be REALLY into pinball to want to drop $120 USD on it on sale. That's a niche price for niche enthusiasts.

Caim

Arcane
Isn't there that one train sim that has like $12k worth of DLC? Niche games like that can get crazy expensive.

Modron

Arcane
Isn't there that one train sim that has like $12k worth of DLC? Niche games like that can get crazy expensive.
Train Sim World Classic, probably way more than 12k, was in the neighborhood of 7.5k the last time all dlc fit on one steam page (id est under 200 dlcs) and you could hit add all dlc. It has 702 dlc so I am just going to guess and say it has at least 19k worth of dlc since there is no easy way to see the running total anymore.

gamerguy

Educated
Some of those flight sim games get like that too, nevermind the price of peripherals.

yeah, there's a space sim game where people spend like 10k on a ship

not even really a videogame, but a 'sim'... like there will be human pilots by that time anyway

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some of those flight sim games get like that too, nevermind the price of peripherals.

yeah, there's a space sim game where people spend like 10k on a ship

not even really a videogame, but a 'sim'... like there will be human pilots by that time anyway
Released products... Star Citizen is its own thing.

gamerguy

Educated
if you can pay to play it, it's released as far as I'm concerned

early access and kickstarter are just code-words for lazy and unprofessional

gamerguy

Educated
...not sure how best buy does their logistics, but advance wars just shipped, and is gonna show up ... tonight?!

glad I cancelled my amazon order

...might be a fun friday night after all!

:(

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember trying to play Doom 3 when it first came out and thinking it was the most vapid, shallow, empty thing in gaming I had yet played, and the most extreme example of a corridor shooter I ever saw. It was like a very bad fun house that reeked of old wax and moldering corpses in wax where you'd enter a room through the powered doors on your little electric railcart and a single monster - usually an imp or a zombied human - would just be standing there (not even a thrilling monster closet to pop out of at ya), and go "BOOGA BOOGA!" which you'd then shoot, then go through the next door... and so on and so on and so on. I never made it past the first 45 minutes. I think the expansion - I forget its name - was a lot better though I grew bored by the end and gave up. The best thing to come out of the Doom 3 engine was of course The Dark Mod.

gamerguy

Educated
yeah, the best game mechanic of doom3 was having to switch between the flashlight and gun, which people ironically hated and modded out... but it enhanced the survival horror aspect of the game imo, which was all it had going for it... well that and the amazing art and lighting...

actually the story was pretty good for a shooter... the pda, and audio logs you could listen to while playing

ID really was a mixed bag back then... doom1, and quake1/3 were god tier... and I liked rage enough

...but I found quake2 and especially 4 pretty lacking, and I didn't care for quake champions at all either

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
IjNDUlg.png

You guys didn't lie, Diablo himself was a rather tedious pain in the ass for a minion-focused necromancer.
Me finding a wand of decripify was an absolute godsend, the only thing that was allowing my skellies to stay and fight Diablo for a bit before his inevitable AoE attacks. It took 6 or so retreats into the home portal before my minions brought him low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom