Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Director's Cut was objectively worse in multiple ways to the original. The way they take away your gear in Missing Link is extremely buggy and fucked up. You lose your Praxis upgrades too, so if you had a full inventory and all inventory upgrades and go to recover your things, anything that can't fit will be lost.
If I'm not mistaken it's not possible to just progress through it to find Praxis then backtrack either, since there's eventually a few places where they don't allow you to turn back.

BruceVC

Magister
Im still busy with the Shadowrun franchise, I installed about 4-5 new campaign mods and I was very impressed with the overall quality of these mods, I did have one bug that meant I couldnt finish one campaign buts not a big deal considering all the others mods were fine

They not long about 5-7 hours but fun. Then I have just finished Dragonfall which was excellent and my best part so far of the narrative and now Im going to play Hong Kong now

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing a bit of everything.

Pixel Puzzles, when I just want to chill, with game soundtracks in the background.

In Fire Emblem: Fates - Conquest, I must have reached somewhere around the halfway point. It's been solid gameplay wise, but the writing is ehh. Some fun level designs, which are much better than Awakening. My main is stil doing fine as a dodge tank. If things get messy, I pair him up with one of the beefier units.

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. I play this on and off. Still great, and I really like the customization. The translation is as bad as you can expect, but the characters are mostly likeable. Violent missions are the cream of the crop in this game. I feel like if you don't plan ,meticulously, things can quickly spiral out of control, and the shit will hit the fan in no time.

Steelrising. I saw that the thread got bumped, which made me remember that this was part of last month's PS+ offering. I'm half a dozen of hours in, and finding it to be serviceable, but not great. If anything, the setting is spiced up with the automatas. Some environments look cool, and audio is decent enough. Gaemplay wise, it ticks all the boxes, but it doesn't excel at anything. I decided to focus on agility/endurance, and use the weapons that stvck with it. For the most parts, I use a dual sword combo, or fans. Bosses have been okay, but haven't felt like bs crap, other than their attacks sometimes sticking to you. Their patterns are easy to discern, and fairly easy to avoid. I'm at the point where I got the hook.

Shin Megami Tensei V. Since I was gifted the new version of this, I decided that I need to wrap up the Switch version. I have a save that I left when I got other games. The story is paper thin, but unlike others, I don't mind. The gameplay is still good. I like the gathering of demons, and fusing them for better ones. Exploration is mostly fun, with some areas being boring due to big levels.

Live A Live. Replaying this just because. I'm at the Edo area chapter. Last time, I went through with zero kills, but this time, the aim is to have 100 kills before I reach the boss. Only 14 kills left.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Completed the main story mode of Sonic GT, another fangame.
SonicGTKfyOm6xtp2.jpg

Short but I liked it. Feels a lot more polished compared to Sonic: Encore but still not on the level of Spark 3. Surprisingly has a somewhat complete story with full voice acting and stuff.
SonicGT8i217aklZl.jpg

After completing the story campaign you unlock more characters and extra gameplay modes for the levels you beaten like 'time attack' or 'challenge', you also unlock the ability to search for secrets on the levels(chaos emeralds) which are tied to some extra unlocks i guess.
By the way, the same devs are currently making that Rollin' Rascal game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been playing around with Star Wars Battlefront II Classic (2005). Bought it for like $1.50 on Steam 2 or 3 years ago but never really got into playing it because of lack of proper controller support and awkward resolutions at 4K but then I found this decent menu UI and controller mod and now it plays like it should. Squad tactics in SP are rudimentary (to say the least) but there's such incredible variation in settings and styles that I'm finding it fun especially with a good controller scheme. Trying to keep it as vanilla as possible for compatibility and stability reasons and haven't even installed the unofficial 1.3 patch (don't like too many surprises but you can try to talk me into it if you wish) but there are a few interesting mods that tempt me like XBOX DLC for PC that adds "official" Battlefront I maps, levels and vehicles (the other "conversion" mod that does something similar has too much custom shit that makes the game look like turd, I heard... you know exactly what I'm talking 'bout, son). Will try multiplayer after learning the ropes in SP... maybe.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Been playing around with Star Wars Battlefront II Classic (2005). Bought it for like $1.50 on Steam 2 or 3 years ago but never really got into playing it because of lack of proper controller support and awkward resolutions at 4K but then I found this decent menu UI and controller mod and now it plays like it should. Squad tactics in SP are rudimentary (to say the least) but there's such incredible variation in settings and styles that I'm finding it fun especially with a good controller scheme. Trying to keep it as vanilla as possible for compatibility and stability reasons and haven't even installed the unofficial 1.3 patch (don't like too many surprises but you can try to talk me into it if you wish) but there are a few interesting mods that tempt me like XBOX DLC for PC that adds "official" Battlefront I maps, levels and vehicles (the other "conversion" mod that does something similar has too much custom shit that makes the game look like turd, I heard... you know exactly what I'm talking 'bout, son). Will try multiplayer after learning the ropes in SP... maybe.
Pretty good game.
I really like the space dogfights followed by docking the enemy capital ship.
I would say it's better than the first game.

Director's Cut was objectively worse in multiple ways to the original. The way they take away your gear in Missing Link is extremely buggy and fucked up. You lose your Praxis upgrades too, so if you had a full inventory and all inventory upgrades and go to recover your things, anything that can't fit will be lost.
If I'm not mistaken it's not possible to just progress through it to find Praxis then backtrack either, since there's eventually a few places where they don't allow you to turn back.
Director's Cut is also a Wii port.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I've spent 30 minutes on KeeperRL tutorial. My pack of 4 goblins obliterated (not exactly, because they took prisoners) and looted a human village. Those brutes killed even a child and domesticated animals!

dukeLess

Barely Literate
Been having a good time with Castlevania aria of sorrow, recently modded a Dsi and wanted to test it out. The gameplay is just what to be expected out of a post sotn 2d Castlevania.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I've spent 30 minutes on KeeperRL tutorial. My pack of 4 goblins obliterated (not exactly, because they took prisoners) and looted a human village. Those brutes killed even a child and domesticated animals!
Sounds like a proper goblin experience to me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Still playing Diablo 2 (13c), trying several new (to me) builds. The first one to retire was the Wind Druid. I found him just too frustrating to play with Twister being too weak, Tornado being far too random, and the lvl 30 skill Hurricane is apparantly a crap skill. So with Tornado being the main skill, this build is just not any fun.
The Fire Druid is much more fun, but being fire based probably less likely to survive on Nightmare and Hell wit so many Fire Immune monsters.

Desu

Literate
Duke Nukem 3D and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Might start Eye of the Beholder or Baldur's Gate.

BruceVC

Magister
I completed the entire Shadowrun franchise and its gets a solid 65\100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system"

I enjoyed the combat mechanics and there were battles where you really had to use strategies to win, I like that

Hong Kong had one frustrating design and that was the freeing of Raymond and the Matrix where you only had 10 rounds, I dont like or enjoy this type of forced timing to complete a quest especially when the expectations are questionable or badly designed . I used save scumming to complete this part of the game

But apart from that a good overall experience in the Shadowrun universe. Now Im taking my normal break from playing the same genre and Im going to start on Far Cry 5, it looks good and its set in Montana where your enemy is a doomsday cult

Gregz

Arcane
Still playing Diablo 2 (13c), trying several new (to me) builds. The first one to retire was the Wind Druid. I found him just too frustrating to play with Twister being too weak, Tornado being far too random, and the lvl 30 skill Hurricane is apparantly a crap skill. So with Tornado being the main skill, this build is just not any fun.
The Fire Druid is much more fun, but being fire based probably less likely to survive on Nightmare and Hell wit so many Fire Immune monsters.

Play Median XL with us

https://rpghq.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1653-diablo-2-median-xl-funclub-now-with-info

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished my old Arcanum run.
I got the good endings for many provinces like Blackroot and Cumbria now that Maximillian was brought back from the Isle of Despair and made king.
I managed to convince Kerghan to stop his diabolical plan and basically commit suicide (The Master style) with the Vendigroth Device.
You need 20 Charisma, Full Persuasion skill and be a Master of this skill, Virgil and Arronax in your party.

Caladon finally joins the Unified Kingdom and thanks to the wise and just policies of Donn Throgg, those Tarant gnomes won't bleed Caladon dry. If you think about it, Caladon can now serve as a wrench in the works of the foul gnomes...

BruceVC

Magister
Finished my old Arcanum run.
I got the good endings for many provinces like Blackroot and Cumbria now that Maximillian was brought back from the Isle of Despair and made king.
I managed to convince Kerghan to stop his diabolical plan and basically commit suicide (The Master style) with the Vendigroth Device.
You need 20 Charisma, Full Persuasion skill and be a Master of this skill, Virgil and Arronax in your party.

Caladon finally joins the Unified Kingdom and thanks to the wise and just policies of Donn Throgg, those Tarant gnomes won't bleed Caladon dry. If you think about it, Caladon can now serve as a wrench in the works of the foul gnomes...
I want to Arcanum soon, I think its the only classic party based RPG I havent played yet ?

Fink

Novice
I want to Arcanum soon, I think its the only classic party based RPG I havent played yet ?
Even though you technically can have a party, I wouldn't call Arcanum a party-based game.

It's more like Fallout; single-character who can recruit followers (who can't be controlled in combat or levelled manually).

Also, the only classic party-based RPG you haven't played? What do you mean by classic?

BruceVC

Magister
Even though you technically can have a party, I wouldn't call Arcanum a party-based game.

It's more like Fallout; single-character who can recruit followers (who can't be controlled in combat or levelled manually).

Also, the only classic party-based RPG you haven't played? What do you mean by classic?
Oh I mean from that time era, 1998-2005 more or less

So thats includes Fallout1&2, BG1&2, IWD1&2

I have played them all over the last 2 years and I loved them but not Arcanum

Kabas

Arcane
Patron

A pretty cool parkour game with some heavy Dishonored vibes.
Absolutely free but the catch is that it's like 20-30 minutes long. It feels like a demo for a much larger game.

Desu

Literate
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Don't skip collecting the journal entries and audio logs. HZD is one of the few games in which the collectibles add to the story.
I'll try to collect them then. I never usually bother with that stuff because they never seem to be worth it. Just done out of obligation so you can have more to collect rather than trying to add to the game's world/lore/story.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Still playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005). Man, this game can suddenly hit that difficulty ramp and become balls to the wall hard. It's from an era when games were games, and players weren't aim-assist controller-tards (though I do play with a controller, and with aim-assist on... hey, I'm old). I'm on the mission where you have to defend the library from re-spawning groups of rogue jedi knights with lightsabers (fast and deadly). At least one of six bookcases must survive for 2 minutes so their info can be uploaded. Discovering cool little things you can do in this game that give you the illusion of emergent gameplay, like take your repair torch (if you're the engineer class) and force open an enemy vehicle, throw out the occupant, and murder-machine their kind on the battlefront with their own mechanized death (I did this with one of those daddy-long legs spiders). It's too good a game to quit because I'm not adept at fighting 3 or 4 jedi knights at the same time with a blaster. I will continue to die so I can die another day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom