Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Lambach

Arcane
So basically they've Nioh-ized Sekiro, or Sekiroized Nioh. No stamina bar, so you can swing and run endlessly, although dodge uses up spirit gauge (this game's posture analogue, which acts in a similar way but also powers special ability usage). Rewards aggression. Enemies have critical attacks that you must deflect or avoid, replete with red icon warning you. You can do an execution move by walking up behind someone or jumping down on them and pressing strong attack when the red dot appears, although it's not always an instant kill, depends on the vitality of the enemy. No grappling hook, at least in the demo. Wall jump, double jump. I find deflecting harder to pull off in this game, enemy attacks come out pretty damn fast. Deflect/dodge feels less consistent/reliable sometimes, but that could just be me not grasping the timing of this game.

Estus use is not responsive, I don't know if that's the game or PS5 controller, but it's mad frustrating when heals don't pop, especially since some enemies are goddamn relentless in their attacking, moreso than any From game and what I played of Nioh 2. And they have reach. I think this game is going to kick a lot of people's asses. Enemy difficulty and aggression kept increasing the further I got into the level, I had to unlock and sprint away to heal a few times.

Visual presentation is indeed cleaner and more legible than Nioh glitterbomb aesthetic. Not the best looking game, but I don't think anyone expects that from TN at this point, it's fine.

Weapons so far feel like chink skins on Nioh jap weapons. I played a "stealth" character with twin swords and it felt very familiar.

Did you get to try out gameplay mechanics other than melee combat, like magic and such?

Machocruz

Arcane

Did you get to try out gameplay mechanics other than melee combat, like magic and such?
Yeah, in this demo any build can use all available spells as long as they have enough morale (which you gain or lose based on defeating enemies or dying) at the moment, although of course you'll be more effective with a particular school of spells the more points you have in its corresponding elemental Virtue (which are this game's base attributes). My character had her main virtue as Water, which is related to stealth, water elemental damage/defense, and amount of spirit used when deflecting. So I had, as the default loadout the game started me with, a combination of water/ice spells and what I'd call ninja spells, like becoming invisible and teleport/dashing forward. The elemental damage spells didn't seem very potent, but then I didn't don weapons or armor that gave bonuses to spell damage either. The spell list is decent sized for action RPG, though largely centered on damage.

Ranged is what you'd expect if you played Nioh.

Divine Beasts can be swapped at any rest area. They're basically like a Final Fantasy 10 or 12 summon with a lot shorter duration. They have one main ability, usually an attack, and a secondary like an elemental buff to your weapon. These guys can save your butt in a tight spot, distracting the enemy to let you get a heal off or attack uninterrupted, or just straight melting them down.

Machocruz

Arcane
Machocruz what about the diabloesque loot wankery? Is it still here?
Oh yes. I had about half a dozen of each weapon and armor type by the time the demo was over. The weakest part of these games imo. I hate the little "+.3.7% to" bullshit that is prominent in video games, it's just a poorly conceived way to keep feeding impatient plebs a steady flow of new shit. I'd rather wait hours for a unique piece of gear then to constantly get handed marginally better trash. And games never do it as good as D2 anyway. Now you do get some substantial flat pluses on some gear, like +30 to HP or Stealth, but that's among a lot of trash you're picking up.

Jinn

Arcane
Damn shame they won't drop that shit. Clearly the weakest aspect of their design philosophy. Is there anyone anywhere who actually praises that?

Still very much so excited about the game though.

cruel

Cipher
I've played the demo for 1h or so. If you can imagine next-gen Nioh mixed with Sekiro, you will be very close to how the game plays. Combat is fast, brutal, but excellent. Much bigger focus on parry and posture break mechanics. Game may be harder than Sekiro or Nioh, based on my first impressions, but I guess they will balance the difficulty later. If you liked Sekiro, you will like it. If you like Nioh, you will also like it. Day 1 purchase for me.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is there anyone anywhere who actually praises that?
I don't like having a bunch of useless loot but I do like working towards a new piece of loot and completing a set. Very much enjoyed spending hours doing that in Nioh 2. Gives you a goal to work for after beating a level.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Randomized loot is practically meaningless on NG and even NG+, not to mention that even if you manage to find some worthy gear, it will turn into a pumpkin once you transition to a higher NG cycle.

Would've been better if this stuff was cut from the NG entirely (enemies would only drop coins, amrita and consumables, while the new weapons/armor/talismans could be acquired by looting chests and killing bosses). Randomized stuff may reappear on NG+ and onward.

DemonKing

Arcane
Tried it on PS5 last night - could be interesting but the oversaturated colours and busy UI and combat effects made it a bit difficult to work out what was going on at times (I think the UI and some effects like damage numbers can probably be turned down in the options). If it's free to Gamepass I will investigate further but won't be running out to buy Day 1.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was going to post impressions, but we had a death in the family, so I didn't really feel like going online the past few days.

The game is pretty cool. An apt description would be Nioh x Sekiro, which was already pointed out in earlier impressions. It's pretty fast paced, unforgiving, and fun. There are, as you guys already know different stances to choose from. In the demo, the stance you choose also determines the type of spells you get. I had earth type spells, and was given a spear, because I chose a defensive stance. The spear was pretty easy to use, but it was easier to stay locked on to enemies while using it. The only problem is that you lock on with the right stick, and toggle the targeted enemy flicking the stick right/left. Why is it a problem? Because the camera is also moved with the right stick. The sword was easier to use while not locking on. The third weapon type in the demo was dual daggers, but I never tried those. I didn't bother to really read the morale description in the demo, but I guess that enemies get stronger if you die, and you get stronger the more enemies you defeat.

You have dodging, parrying, and blocking. Parrying is obviously super strong if your timing is right. Do well enough, and will will also be able to land a critical blow with the heavy attack button. Either kill someone outright, or for stronger enemies, deplete a massive amount of health from their HP bar. Gotta be careful, though. The enemy can do the same to you. There's also no stamina, and you have a jump button, so you can use that to your advantage. Demo starts out with samey soldier enemies, but by the end, I feel like there was enough enemy variety for the game not becoming too stale. My favorite fight was with a Suanyu (bird like creature), the fight was intense, but I got it in the end. Demo caps off with an intense two stage fight, but I feel like I have seen this one many times before.

There's an online component. You can play with two other people. I never tried it out, but I was invaded at one point, before aforementioned fight. I also invested nothing into stealth, so I can't comment on that either.

Weakest point is probably the Diablo style loot. It is not needed, and you get the exact type of equipment too many times. Once you do get something better, it is cool. Got a cool spear and sword by the end of it all. Also, it's not the best looking game, but enemy design is good. I thought levels would be corridors only, which is not entirely the case. There are nooks and crannies to be found here and there. Some places offer chests, and some places offer some extra fights.

Overall, I was left with a positive impression, but in general, it is not my type of game. I will see if one or two friends are interested in playing this in co-op. Could be fun.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Combat felt stiffer than in NIOH. I'm also not really sold on the morale system either. Otherwise it's fine. As with NIOH 1 & 2 I was pretty lukewarm toward the games in their alphas but once you play the full game with all the systems and mechanics in place it 'clicks' better. The one thing I do consider to be an improvement over NIOH is the setting. I prefer the ancient Chinese aesthetic over ancient Japan. Shame that they are still insisting upon RNG loot.

notpl

Arbiter
Also koei has been publishing video games about romance of the three kingdoms since 1985.

Deflowerer

Arcane
So a game about chinese made by japanese and no outrage articles?

It's in the same cultural milieu, particularly when you consider that Chinese high culture has always been appreciated in Japan since times yore. ROTK and even other classics like Monkey King and Water Margin have been popular in Japan for centuries even with lower classes.

Suicidal

Arcane
Are they collecting feedback for the demo like Nioh/Nioh 2?
I haven't played on account of not having a console, but I watched people play it and there's a survey at the end so they probably are.

Suicidal

Arcane
Still so far away, but it gives me hope that they will polish it well by release.

Hope we don't all die in nuclear hellfire by then.

Suicidal

Arcane
Souls/action game youtuber, who's a big Nioh fan made an analysis video of an updated build with some new gameplay

Key points:
-They fixed responsiveness and control issues people had in the demo
-Building up your spirit bar thingy now boosts the damage of your special attacks/spells
-Multiple builds and playstyles are viable. You're not forced into a deflect-focused playstyle
-Loot is semi-randomized. Mobs drop items like they do in Nioh (although not as much), but highest tier items can only be found in specific chests around the level or dropped from specific mobs or bosses.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Not available in my region

Fucking Koei Tecmo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom