Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite RPG Series

Your favourite RPG series

• Total voters

Lemming42

Arcane
Pick your top three. It's time to find the WINNER. Western RPGs, obviously, though I've put Dark Souls up there just because of its extraordinary popularity.

"Series" is anything with more than one entry. I didn't include Planescape because I didn't know whether Tides of Numanuma or whatever was a sequel, I didn't play that shit. I'll put it up on the poll if people tell me to. Tell me if I missed anything too.

__scribbles__

Educated
I didn't include Planescape because I didn't know whether Tides of Numanuma or whatever was a sequel, I didn't play that shit.
From what I gather it's a sequel in name only. The poll is fine as it is.

Voted for Ultima, Fallout and Wizardry with Gothic and Gold Box as runners-up. They're the series I've consistently gotten the most enjoyment out of.

Viata

Arcane
Only voted in Wizardry and Ultima.
Wizardry because it's the only series I loved every single game released to it, including all the Japanese Wizardry games. As for Ultima, only Ultima IX sucks and I prefer to assume that game never existed, which is why I voted in Ultima too. Any other series it's like there is more games I dislike than like, if I ever played more than one.

DemonKing

Arcane
Very difficult choice - there are series where I love some of the games (Icewind Dale, Wizardry, Gold Box, Eye of the Beholder etc) but not others. Went for Baldur's Gate in the end in the end as I think it's been most consistent in terms of quality across games.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The problem i have is that i rarely like two titles from one series let alone more than two. I voted Fallout (1 and 2) and Wizardry (7 and 8) but all others it is just one game of the series. BG2 but not 1 (or 3). Icewind Dale 1 but not 2. And so on.
If someone made a good Darklands sequel(s). Or true Jagged Alliance 2 sequel, not just another tactical game - even if decent.

Why no Vogel's games? He made a at least two series - over and over again - but they are liked on the Codex.

Lemming42

Arcane
Any other series it's like there is more games I dislike than like, if I ever played more than one.
The problem i have is that i rarely like two titles from one series let alone more than two.
This is what motivated me to make the thread, the cRPG genre is so patchy that it's basically a devil's choice every time which I find hilarious.

I went for Fallout because I like 1/2/3/NV to varying degrees. Don't give a shit about Tactics or BoS, 4 sucked, never played 76.

TES because I like all of them to some degree except Oblivion. Also get to include Redguard, the best game ever.

Wizardry purely on the strength of Wiz6/7/8. My memory of the prior ones is sketchy at best.

Lemming42

Arcane
Bard's Tale should probably be included, if only for making the list more complete.
Added.
Why no Vogel's games? He made a at least two series - over and over again - but they are liked on the Codex.
I'm not too familiar with them so should I add Avernum, Geneforge etc as individual entries or would an option that just reads "VOGEL" suffice?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout, Wizardry, Gold Box. It goes without saying, but you have to ignore Bethesda's repeated desecrations of Fallout and the Japanese obsession with retreading Proving Grounds 50 times in 20 years.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Should specify whether Grimoire counts as part of the Wizardry series, given its development history.

eDwVnsJ.png

Heh, I just realized I don't like any series. The good is always balanced out by the crap. I guess Geneforge, even though I haven't played all of them. I only spent considerable time with 1 and 5, actually, but it's remarkable that I like a first and last entry more or less equally.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Should specify whether Grimoire counts as part of the Wizardry series, given its development history.

Yes the poll is very unfinished

Grimoire should be in Wizardry, and so should Wizards and Warriors (since its all Bradley)

Wasteland should be with Fallout, since its the same universe (Fallout 1 real name was supposed to be Wasteland 2 but Fargo lost the rights)

Hagashager

Educated
There is no series I like in totality.

I love Morrowind, the two after aren't good and Daggerfall, while enjoyable, is not enough to keep me going.

I love Icewind Dale, I did not care for IWD2.

I love Deus Ex, I don't like its sequels.

I suppose by process of elimination Baldur's Gate is my "favorite" series because I do enjoy both games (While I like BG3, it's not a BG game, it's a Larian RPG with BG trappings.)

On that same topic, I suppose the Divinity Original Sin games (plus BG3) are also "favorites" because I quite enjoyed all three games. Not enough love is given to D:OS 1, it still holds up. I quite like it still.

But, not Baldur's Gate, or D:OS ever **affected** me like Morrowind or got me immersed like IWD, or got me thinking like Deus Ex.

Also, shoutout to Legend of Grimrock. Both are stellar blobbere, very nice, quite enjoy them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why does Deus Ex and Gothic have so few votes..
:negative:
Deus Ex is probably the only series where both old and new are good. Well, Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate now.

Come to think of it, I'm gonna remove my Fallout vote and select BG. Too many Fallouts are garbage, thanks Bethesda.

Same as I'm removing my Gothic vote. Since G3 it was complete shit.

I vote only BG and Deus Ex.

I could also vote M&B since all games are good, but it's not an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom