Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I couldn't manage to set up a choke point in that particular fight. The void thingies would just rush at me anyway, no matter if I used fire surface or summons or w/e. So I just had to put them down the old-fashioned way; no big loss there.

Personally, the best CC for me at this point are Blind, Stun, Crippled, and Withering Arrow. The further I go, the less useful I find stuff like smoke, poison or fire. But maybe that's just my play style.

Ive found normal pretty easy, i hesitate to go into hard because im afraid the game difficulty increase is going to feel cheap and dirty like it happens in a lot of games.

I hate to repeat myself, but like I've said a couple of times ITT, that isn't the case at all here. There's no HP or damage bloat or anything. It just makes you rely more on special abilities and positioning.

And even then, most of the fights are easy if you know what you're doing. Again, like I said, I'm looking forward to replaying the game with a custom challenge party and/or to a combat AI overhaul mod.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn, I dunno then. A glitch maybe? I actually teleported and blew him up :P but I did the same trick on other bombs, and it would always work.

Let me clarify: he blows up but she is unharmed and I get the +1 rep and mission complete. I just wondered if there was a way to complete the mission and still keep him alive too, which is implied as being possible by the "innocent killed dialogue".

Just teleport him away.

Black

Arcane
rqi37Xj.jpg

:D

Tigranes

Arcane
I couldn't manage to set up a choke point in that particular fight. The void thingies would just rush at me anyway, no matter if I used fire surface or summons or w/e. So I just had to put them down the old-fashioned way; no big loss there.

Personally, the best CC for me at this point are Blind, Stun, Crippled, and Withering Arrow. The further I go, the less useful I find stuff like smoke, poison or fire. But maybe that's just my play style.

Ive found normal pretty easy, i hesitate to go into hard because im afraid the game difficulty increase is going to feel cheap and dirty like it happens in a lot of games.

I hate to repeat myself, but like I've said a couple of times ITT, that isn't the case at all here. There's no HP or damage bloat or anything. It just makes you rely more on special abilities and positioning.

And even then, most of the fights are easy if you know what you're doing. Again, like I said, I'm looking forward to replaying the game with a custom challenge party and/or to a combat AI overhaul mod.

I've found that after level 10 most enemies resist stunning arrows or aerothurge stun effects; only the dagger scoundrel stun attack works well. My most reliable combat starter is to have Nietzsche sneak up and charm somebody. Or are you softening them up by lowering their willpower, etc?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've found that after level 10 most enemies resist stunning arrows or aerothurge stun effects; only the dagger scoundrel stun attack works well. My most reliable combat starter is to have Nietzsche sneak up and charm somebody. Or are you softening them up by lowering their willpower, etc?

Static cloud arrows still work on at least 1 out of 2 enemies all the time for me (including those void thingies or elementals), which is good enough for my purposes. It does help if you have the chance to use the stat/willpower lowering arrow first - I always tend to use those.

It's also the only kind of cloud that enemies avoid 100% of the time, which also helps for CC. (Some enemies avoid poison too, but not all.)

Also it may have to do with INT, but my 19 INT mage seems to reliably blind and stun enemies at least 80% of the time (rough estimate).

Charm is very good too, of course. I always use it myself, too.

Perkel

Arcane
Heh you know how to differentiate between dev that works on PC as main platform and cares about PC people and dev who does mainly console games ?

By implementation of Triple buffering in game.
And not by buffering but that implementation of it doesn't fuck up your mouse imput introducing obscene amounts of lag.

I applied TB and 0 changes to mouse works like there isn't TB at all

Good job larian

Tigranes

Arcane

Static cloud arrows still work on at least 1 out of 2 enemies all the time for me (including those void thingies or elementals), which is good enough for my purposes. It does help if you have the chance to use the stat/willpower lowering arrow first - I always tend to use those.

It's also the only kind of cloud that enemies avoid 100% of the time, which also helps for CC. (Some enemies avoid poison too, but not all.)

Also it may have to do with INT, but my 19 INT mage seems to reliably blind and stun enemies at least 80% of the time (rough estimate).

Charm is very good too, of course. I always use it myself, too.

See, my battlemage handles all the spells and tanking, so he has 15 STR and 10 INT. The rogue fires arrows and does roguish stuff. I suspect my characters are incredibly suboptimal in numerous ways, but I don't mind, leave smore for the next playthrough. I underestimated the stat arrows though, will definitely experiment with that.

Athelas

Arcane
More like the difference between competence and incompetence.

The game could be optimized better, by the way.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok what is the difference between 1h axes and swords in this game ?
Both are slash damage, swords have 1,5xcrit where axes 2xcritdmg

Is that Larian telling us " swords are for scrubs " ? Reach doesn't seem that different..

edit:

why people have problem with performance of game ?

It works amazingly well on my HD6850 which is now like 60$ GPU and i can play 1920x1080 with locked 60FPS. With my other GPU HD7970 i could probably lock game at 4k.

And game looks amazing at times

Athelas

Arcane
Maybe it's a clever subversion of the cliche that a sword is always the ultimate weapon in RPG's.

Though it's more likely just shitty design.

Perkel

Arcane
Game sure needs some more weapon types imo.
Only piercing weapon for 1h fighters is lvl 6 pickaxe.

edit: expansion for this game will be amazing :)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Never used 1h weapons myself so dunno.

See, my battlemage handles all the spells and tanking, so he has 15 STR and 10 INT. The rogue fires arrows and does roguish stuff. I suspect my characters are incredibly suboptimal in numerous ways, but I don't mind, leave smore for the next playthrough. I underestimated the stat arrows though, will definitely experiment with that.

Stat arrows have been pretty great for me because in my experience they work almost 100% of the time. Can't say how much that has to do with my character's stats tho'.

Thankfully this game is well-designed enough that you never have to min-max, actually. I see a lot of fights winnable in so many different ways, it's crazy (in a good way).

Gord

Arcane
Just had the final fight in the immaculate trials-cave.

Man, that
Loic
resisted every last attempt to knock him down, stun him, weaken him, silence him or freeze him.
I managed to poison him a few times at least, but combined with his healing ability it took me probably half an hour until I finally won.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Just had the final fight in the immaculate trials-cave.

Man, that
Loic
resisted every last attempt to knock him down, stun him, weaken him, silence him or freeze him.
I managed to poison him a few times at least, but combined with his healing ability it took me probably half an hour until I finally won.

Flurry :3 Just saying.

Tho' iirc Blind worked on him too.

Gord

Arcane
Don't have flurry, sadly. I've a rogue ability that does hit a few times for relatively good damage (although I'm still not really sure if it's much better than using the AP for sneal attacks), but the cooldown is to high for reliable application.
Had to whittle him down and wait for a few lucky rolls.

Gord

Arcane
Damn, I dunno then. A glitch maybe? I actually teleported and blew him up :P but I did the same trick on other bombs, and it would always work.

Let me clarify: he blows up but she is unharmed and I get the +1 rep and mission complete. I just wondered if there was a way to complete the mission and still keep him alive too, which is implied as being possible by the "innocent killed dialogue".

I used rain, the fuse went out, he exploded but no-one got hurt and I didn't get the innocent killed dialog (which I got by teleporting him).

Xenich

Cipher
Fuck this American "THE CUSTOMAH IS ALWAYS RIGHT" bullshit.

No you fucking mouth breathing ass sucking moron. It is because they said they were going to do something, they marketed on it, took in money through a donation drive to do it and then said they were releasing the dungeon shy of a few levels near release and then didn't mention the fact that they cut the entire fucking thing until someone found out there was no dungeon during play.

That isn't an american "THE CUSTOMAH IS ALWAYS RIGHT", if they would have stated they didn't have the time to finish it, didn't put it out because they wanted to make sure other elements of the game were completely filled, well... i think many (reasonable) people would understand. The problem is the evasion, the secrecy of mentioning that they put NONE of it in when they said it was going in minus a few levels.

Now I know we are are dirty Americans and we seem to complain and object a lot of things. I must apologize as we aren't normally accustomed to being a peasant type people who are used to being subjected to the foot of noble classes. We tend to get a bit upset when people fail to meet some expectation of their agreement or at least pay the courtesy of why it was not met. Now for people like you, a ruled class, those who are used to accepting their place at the feet of their betters, I can understand how you suck the cock of your noble lords and swallow like a good little fucking worthless peasant.

I am sure the comment of "Out of the way PEK!" holds great meaning and value to you. For some of us, not so much, so please excuse us.

Or... in words you are more common to. "Button your mouth peasant, lest I put my boot in your mouth!"

/boggle

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tigranes re: stuns I have the impression that ranged stuns lose effectivness to a certain extend, but the touch-stun air spell works pretty well still, as a last resort if something closes in on your mage and it lasts 3 rounds

Xenich

Cipher
what, no larian apologists trying to worm their way out of this? fuck this game

Nope. I think they dropped the ball on this one, but not because they didn't add it, but because they didn't say anything about it until someone realized it wasn't in the game.

They are usually more humble about that stuff, true.
Btw., I'm not far enough in to have encountered it, but what about the parts he mentioned that got used? Are they in Phantom Forest and form a smaller dungeon or have they been moved to different parts of the game?

I haven't got there yet. This is all from reading, but from those who have, apparently the entire thing is missing. Nothing exists. Nada.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guys I can't find the Phoenix Dive skillbook ! I've just started Chapter 2, did I miss it in chapter 1 ?

I want to blow things up with my zombie warrior.

Halp !

:negative:

TheLostOne

Savant
Guys I can't find the Phoenix Dive skillbook ! I've just started Chapter 2, did I miss it in chapter 1 ?

I want to blow things up with my zombie warrior.

Halp !

:negative:

Wrong thread. Am I high, or was this just in the Wasteland thread. To answer your question, revisit shopkeepers after levelling up some

Perkel

Arcane
I am ashamed of myself.

Apperently i have played 100h without knowing that you can indeed change characters in bartering menu without quitting bartering screen > changing dude > start barter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom