Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Did they add maps too?

That is the one thing where i think they dropped the ball in Temple of Elemental Evil. They had a good combat system but poor support for custom content. Sooooo many pen and paper modules they could have ported on that, but we got nothing.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only by not having dialog wheels, cooldowns and spells/unarmed attacks scaling with weapon like most mainstream modern games like D3 and DA:I makes this game worth playing.

On G2 - REturning, a vendor even asks why you need a weapon if you are a necromancer

Or0SNJ5.png

I din't played dos2 much but if i remember correctly at least dos2 din't had cooldowns.

Other thing that i liked is that seems like vampire spawn(At least the rogue that Sween played) will be in the game. Anyone knows if i can be a vampire on BG3?

I tried to install vampirism mods for BG1/2 but din't worked

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Have you all played BG and IWD knowing the D&D rules? Be honest.

The same video game magazine that informed me of BG's existance also provided a quick rundown of the most important dnd terms like negative armour class and thaco. It took less than half a page.

Black

Arcane
I demand a different quality to writing now.
Exactly, whatever they do they can't win. If writing say the same it'll be goofy and too larianesque, if they change it it will be #NOTMYBALDURSGATE
The only winning move is to be a fencesitter and shitpoast.
You don't see me going "#NOTMYBALDURSGATE", so I can't answer for those people.
It was a joke, but then I checked.
https://twitter.com/search?q=#notmybaldursgate&src=typed_query

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Name one.

If asking for a game example for limits then of the top of my head super attacks in action games where you have to build meter.

Nobody play pale masters there exactly because they are useless.

If the class is useless then it's clear the devs didn't though said class's design trough and just added it for the sake of inclusion. And as a consequence the game has a balancing issue given it was unable to provide any kind of significance to one of it's playstyles.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If asking for a game example for limits then of the top of my head super attacks in action games where you have to build meter.

That is not exactly cooldowns. Cooldowns is if you can only use hadouken once per 5 seconds or something similar...

If the class is useless then it's clear the devs didn't think them trough and just putted them just to be there. And as a consequence the game has a balancing flaw since it was unable to provided said class with any significance.

No, is because their nerfs makes no sense. A epic pale master unable to cast circle 4 magic makes no sense. A epic pale master unable to raise 2 skeletons too, makes no sense.

edit : if every caster can only cast fireball and palemaster too, the game would be balanced but it would makes no sense

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
*I was on page 326 when I had just stopped reading to write this post. I had a few things to say: 1) the only good thing about the game was the turn based combat; 2) the writing was retarded even by Sven standards; 3) at least it wasn't Fallout 3; and 4) all RTWPfags needed to be banned. I then excused myself and went back to page 326 to continue reading, weeping and rating.*

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If the class is useless then it's clear the devs didn't think them trough and just putted them just to be there. And as a consequence the game has a balancing flaw since it was unable to provided said class with any significance.

No, is because their nerfs makes no sense. A epic pale master unable to cast circle 4 magic makes no sense. A epic pale master unable to raise 2 skeletons too, makes no sense.

edit : if every caster can only cast fireball and palemaster too, the game would be balanced but it would makes no sense

I admitilly phrase that in a poor manner, I've fixed it now but the point stil stands. If a class is in any way useless then it's a problem it the overall balance of the game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Remember when we were speculating about the game? Everyone calling culled rulesets, it being a third person action rpg etc etc.

So now we got turnbased combat with original 5e DND implementation as it seems. I for one am happy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
No one play druid or bard. Ever. So it's 2 easiest classes to cut.
What. I love druids and in this edition they are incredibly fun. Until level 4 they are also the most broken class in the game, with 5x the hp of a fighter and 3x the damage output. I never play through a D&D game without a druid, simply because it gives a different spell list which is fun to experiment with.

Bards in 5th edition are very different from 3.5, now they reach 9th level spells and they have interesting mechanics.

Sorc and Wiz are the same thing. I could live without a barb and monk if there is a rogue. I could live without a pally if the fighter is good. Bard is cool but not really essential. Druid is essential, need a wisdom caster besides cleric.
In D&D 5, metamagic feats are a class feature for sorcerers, it's enough to make them very different from wizards.
In that case I'd rather they have the sorc and not the wiz.

Kaivokz

Arcane
With RTwP games, especially the harder ones, you are must heavily rely on abusing the pause button, because AI of your team is sadly lacking and no amount automation (so far) was able to fix it. Your party will fire spells into your line, use AOEs incorrectly, waste healing using it too early or too late, they won't react to flanking or being flat-footed correctly etc. RTwP is designed (at least in theory) to be more action oriented and a faster type of gameplay, but in the end it forces you to micro almost everything reducing to encounter speed to a slog, thus kinda defeating the purpose of the entire exercise.

Real time w/ pause encourages you to pause. I don’t like to pause, I want to play real-time. Therefore, let’s force the game to be paused constantly and only move one unit at a time. Brilliant.

RTwP is designed to be able to handle either fast paced combat (a group of gibberlings) or methodical slow combat (two high level wizards).

When you say, RTwP is more complex and combat diverse and I will have to disagree. It becomes stale very very fast. RTwP encourages bad behaviour like "kiting" for example just because you complex uber-fun fast paced combat system will do a bullshit move and spawn enemy mobs behind you to surround you (Looking at you Kingmaker). TB does not have this problem. And the fact that is a small puzzle, makes much more complex than RTwP because when and if you fuck up it's almost entirely your fault. And not because you imposed on yourself restrictions like no "kiting" to no break "muh immersiun" and not ruin the combat for yourself but the game still pulls a bullshit move on you, as the system itself is not good enough to play fair.
Did you watch the BG3 gameplay video where Sven pushes people and then runs away every chance he got? Your posts are just making me think you’re retarded. I like TB and RTwP, but you’re just strawmanning RTwP and misrepresenting TB.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
So now that I've had some time to think about what I saw . . .
  • 4 person party fucking sucks. I do not understand this limitation. There is precious little "Baldur's Gate" in this Baldur's Gate III, but at least they could have kept the traditional party size. There are a ton of good classes to play, and it seems like a intentional shorting of variety to only let you nab 4 in a single play-through. I hope this is wrong and we get to six.
  • I'm not blaming this on Sven because I know some of this comes from Wizards of the Coast, but the super-hero like jumps, shoves, etc. look flaky and overpowered. Also, we could seriously do without the fucking anime impact rings and stuffed-to-the-gills ability activation animations, complete with flashing lights and intense sounds. We get it.
  • Voice acting was fine, no better or worse than what I expect from a CRPG.
  • Opening cinematic was surprisingly well done; I didn't know Larian had that in them.
  • I like mind flayers and I'm glad they're using actual ilithid lore with the tadpoles, etc. But, they do know that it is almost impossible to remove a tadpole after being infected by one, right? Anyway, basing this around the ilithid/gith feud is pretty good.
  • I feel like I already know where this is going, though. From Wikipedia (of all places, lol): This is due to an Illithid legend of a being called the "Adversary". The legend holds that, eventually, an Illithid larva that undergoes ceremorphosis will take on the host's personality and memory in its entirety. This Adversary would, mind and soul, still be the host, but with all the inherent abilities of an Illithid. Wanna bet ten bucks that the PC is the Adversary?
  • Dice rolls, critical misses, etc are all spot on.
  • Combat looks good -- really! The correct kind of turn based, use of abilities, etc.
  • The environmental interactivity looks good also. Things like jumping to get high ground bonuses, lighting grease on fire, these are all good. What worries me with Larian is that they go overboard on shit like this. The last Divinity was basically "Barrel Explosion: The Game." It was all area of effects stacking and whatnot, which is one the main reasons I stopped playing.
  • Character models have that annoying, plastic sheen and overdone costuming/hair/makeup that seems inescapable in modern video games, especially RPGs. Larian didn't invent this shit but I wish they wouldn't use it.
  • That first person past tense approach to character interaction is still bothering the shit out of me.
  • Graphics look fine
  • It looks like they got itemization correct. I appreciate that.
  • The stealth systems looks great. No complaining here, genuinely well done.
  • Again, this might be a Wizards/DnD issue but why does a melee fighter (Shadowheart) have a super long range attack? What the fuck is going on there? What did I miss?

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, there are screens with 5-ppl party in combat

8429aff8-86eb-99c1-7c5b-c3439d9908e2

But then, inventory screen currently designed for only 4:

3b275afc-0e99-6cce-d83c-df66b9307e08

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So now we got turnbased combat with original 5e DND implementation as it seems. I for one am happy.

Not 100% original. 99% of chance to hit can only be obtain if he is rolling the dice 3 times and picking the highest value.

after dos2 looking at numbers like 1d4 + 2 is haven i admit

Yep. I hate when the numbers are more inflated than Zimbabwe currency...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Not 100% original. 99% of chance to hit can only be obtain if he is rolling the dice 3 times and picking the highest value.
If you roll two dice and pick the best (advantage) you have a 99% chance of rolling a 3 or more.

Do the origins/companions have fixed classes this time?
Yes, but probably we will be able to respec them (we don't know how and with wath constraints).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
complaining about graphics, lip-syncing, jump animations and other such trivial shit

Guess what? BG didn't have any of those issues. Larian brought it upon themselves. You live by the cinematic experiences, you die by the cinematic experiences.

Additionally: fucking superhero glow when preparing to SPRINT or lighting the GOD DAMN BOW on FIRE when firing a flaming ARROW is RETARDED. It is O.K. to call things retarded here, since this is a nazi forum.

Thal

Prophet
I have a question for the RTwP defenders: In higher difficulties or harder combat scenarios how much time is the game actually UNPAUSED?
And since the obvious answer is very, very rarely, why is the "real-time" so important? What does it offer?

I'm going to give you a serious answer. No battle plan survives the first contact with the enemy, and one of the side effects of real-time is that your party is almost never perfectly positioned. Therefore you have to rely on your wits to adjust movement and positioning on the fly as the enemy is doing his thing. In BG1 your game wasn't paused when you were in inventory, which meant that quick slots had real tactical meaning. You could still quaff your potions but that came with a risk.

The biggest advantange is the ability to interrupt spells with your archers. Turn-based has interrupts or reaction fire, but they cannot simulate the urgency factor of moving Kivan in range and expertly shooting the enemy mage while he's casting Lightning Bolt. You can even make sure he has the time to shoot, by making him wait beforehand. On that note, in RTwP you can dodge Fireballs, again if you are aware.

Whereas traditional turn-based is more ponderous with all the advantages that come with it, RTwP is more hectic, while still having the pause to preserve that nervecracing moment as the fireball is about to hit you and you realize it's all over. I think good turn-based is probably easier to make, but that doesn't mean that it's automatically better. Hell, over the years we've seen games of both type fail at delivering what was expected.

Last edited:

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Again, this might be a Wizards/DnD issue but why does a melee fighter (Shadowheart) have a super long range attack? What the fuck is going on there? What did I miss?

She's a cleric. The long range attack is a spell called guiding bolt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom