Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

I don't think that would discourage savescumming though

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually wonder if it wouldn't be a better design choice to hide all skillcheck %s - would discourage scumming. Maybe characters with Perception could say "yeah this looks like a long shot/sure thing" but you attach numbers to something and it starts swinging more towards powergaming and less towards roleplay.
Yeah. I think a few games are blindly groping towards new ways of resolving conflicts. Disco Elysium obviously is trying for something like this too, although it also shows you the numbers. As long as the results are signposted as "win/lose" it will be hard to get players to let go of "winning". I'd like to see the signposting more skewed towards "something interesting happens" or "something else interesting happens", but it's hard to visualize what that would look like when the character is clearly trying to pass instead of fail at something.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just take Deus Ex Human Revolution personality vs tone system and have a speech skill modifying them, a mob boss might not like being treated with the agressive tone and that is an automatic failure for most characters but if you have high speech, you can successfuly threat him but was that a good idea? There were other options, some that even didnt require much or no speech at all to achieve the same "peaceful" solution, speech checks only are a problem on lazy binary win/lose systems that even hand to you an imediate win/lose result, that is just inviting a reload.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yep, I completely understand. They really made an effort to make failure okay here, and there's lots of hilarious scripted stuff for when you fuck up, that 99% of players will never see because we're all so conditioned. Be part of the elite!
Definitely agree here. I can only really remember one truly shitass skill check that you kinda just get lured into (the zeolite safe).

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Well I wouldn't say that armor is completely useless. When you wear light armor and spend 4 skill points in weaponsmithing, you can gain the tinkerer perk which gives you +1AP. My four girl rangers now sport that perk.
Yep, but that's in DC. At launch all armor was useless past Damonta. Hell, in DC you could even make an untouchable 15 Armor dude that just sits there and can't get hurt by anything but EWs.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
So now that I've upgraded some of my weapons, most notably my sniper's main weapon...

Oh my god.

The damage output is utterly obscene. I think I saw the sniper roll a 109 damage crit. That's about twice the CON the strongest enemies I see have (non-boss enemies anyway).

I kind of hope W2DC has some good curveballs to throw at me or this is going to start getting very easy.

(Maybe I should play this on Ranger difficulty. Dunno, we'll see how it starts looking after I get out of Arizona.)

Last edited:

Wizfall

Cipher
I liked W2 a lot, solid character system (despite skills redundancy but hard task with a 7 characters party) ,enjoyable combat, good/writing (even if a bit too wacky for my taste).
But this "rotating" camera is truly exhausting, a few time i kinda though i get somewhat use to it but each time i relaunch the game to continue it's the same pain in the ass.
Could not stand it anymore and dropped the game because of it.
I'm often tempted to restart the game but the perspective to have to manage this garbage camera discourage me too much.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
As far as the skills/stats system go I really have only personal quibbles with CLASSIC (or any other really) because at the end of the day it isn't my system and it's certainly not the worst I've used. I don't think the separation of Field Medic and Surgeon as entirely separate skills is necessarily worthwhile (same with Fallout's First Aid and Doctor, really), and the kind of system I'd personally create would have a "generalized skills" field (say, Medicine or Mechanical or Firearms or Melee) with sub-fields for increased specialization - the general field would indicate an overall familiarity with most of the basics surrounding that skillset and would be a kind of baseline for all sub-fields. I never really liked Luck as a quantifiable stat, either.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Not the worst? Really?

I've seen some pretty garbage systems (mostly homebrew or amateur stuff) that just make no sense. I'm deliberately excluding systems designed to be piss-takes on the idea of stat/skill systems.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
That's because the game, at launch, looked like an absolute turd. Well it had a lot of other issues as well but I can't stress just how fucking ugly the portraits and models were.

Nowadays the DC version is quite a good game.

Boomer_007

Novice
Why so many old cars and other assets have wrong scale? Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes my party looks like children around them. Why soviet cars in Arizona and soviet concrete fences? This is the cheapest models in Unity-store? Sometimes this fences also stretched, with incorrect stretched textures. Why NPC models and portraits so random? I saw a vendor with completely different from each other model, portrait and text description of his look.

This (non-)art-direction is insulting. I love first Wasteland, but this game feels like developers didn't care at all.

Boomer_007

Novice
This is horrible. Especially Moskvitch cars and classic blue GAZ trucks, like ripped straight out from Stalker or HL2. It's so immersion breaker for me, because I recognized that immediately. I'm seeing those cars every time, when I'm visiting my hometown, and this is not Arizona or USA at all. This is the center of Ukraine.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is Supreme Jerk even worth playing on Iron Man? Without reloads I feel it will be a short run.

orcinator

Liturgist
Is Supreme Jerk even worth playing on Iron Man? Without reloads I feel it will be a short run.
None of the difficulties are worth playing.
Seriously what do you get from playing this without reloads? Testing your skill to remember which order to do the encounters in so you don't run into overleveled enemies? Having to cheese the dumb AI even more?

Sykar

Arcane

Well even on Supreme Jerk you will drop many enemies in one or two shots/bursts once you get to T3 weapons in Arizona. It takes a little at the start in California but once you upgrade your weapons again you start dropping enemies fast. The main draw of Supreme Jerk is that it does put a big strain on your survivability wich makes hoarding medpacks so important and using those docs to heal the entire party well. As to Iron Man, ever since I stopped playing D2 HC, which I played for 6 years, I have not touched any HC since and I am happy about it. HC gives me nothing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fuck me, I've just encountered my first giant scorpion thingy. When the dust settled, the battlefield was laid waste, some of my boys and girls were bleeding out and had to be quickly rescued from the brink, even the survivors only had a sliver of health and were stumbling around not knowing where the fuck they were or what they'd just witnessed :) I understand now why that thing is iconic on the splash screen.

It's funny with this game, I only first played it a couple of years ago, and I liked it but something else grabbed my attention, then the same thing happened again later (actually IIRC wth WL3, which is also great fun). But finally I've gotten out of the damned desert and into the lush environs of LA, and boy is the game showing its teeth now.

You really have to min-max the fuck out of it to even stand a chance of surviving on Jerk (LUCK and CHA dumped to 1, except decent CHA for a skillmonkey leader, everything built primarily for Initiative, AP and scooting around the battlefield quickly, but sometimes INT for skills growth). I'm in that stage where it's all starting to gel in my head (you know that phase when your brain gets right deep into the system and it starts to become familiar), even though it's still a bit fresh. It's absolutely brutal and I'm LOVING it! :) (I even wrote some biographies lol.)

The game is more than the sum of its parts, it really does mesh into a nice gestalt that gives you both great gameplay and a great sense of immersion. Even the apparent "boringness" of the combat isn't quite right - it's not boring, it's addictive, precisely because it's not over-fussy. It's just as fussy as it needs to be. You get into a trance state and want to keep eating that bowl of cherries till you come up for air at quarter to three.

A bit janky here and there withal, but the jank is forgiveable because the general experience is good.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ha, I know I'm enjoying an RPG when I spend nearly an entire session OCD-edly fiddling with the inventory, hotbar and keybinds to get everything just right :)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hmm, I've discovered an anomaly. Brother Thomas (who's a pretty good healer companion that you get after you've done Rodia in LA) comes with 6 perks, two of which are missing their prerequisites - Scout and Explorer both require some levels in Outdoorsman, which he doesn't have.

I guess that's supposed to represent how he worked for his faction before he got pissed off with them (wandering around looking for converts, I guess)? It's annoying though because while his other perks are ok, those 2 block me from giving him 2 actually useful ones.

In other news, I hit another hard mission - the Whittier Farm mission where
you're ambushed by some droids.
Another real toughie that I had to restart a couple of times to "learn" in order to not have my guys be splatted pretty quickly :)

While I have a general preference for forward momentum, it's nice to have the occasional set piece mission that's so hard that you have to do it a few times to figure out how to beat it. (Top tip, move to the right immediately on entering zone, a cutscene will prevent you from moving very far, but you'll be in a good starting position there with cover on both sides - pretty deadly enemies come in from all angles. Precision fire is your friend.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom