Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake 2 - new survival horror experience from Remedy

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's been decades since I've played such a masterpiece.
i wouldn't go as far as a masterpiece, but it was very unique and entertaining. the story gets better the more you go in and realize the layers, and the meta plot. it has ton of heart too like the cheeky jaako advertisement live action videos, etc never fail to make me laugh. the setpieces are gorgeous. bigots here just see a black MC and go ham.

tbh if they have more enemy types and better exploration, it'd be a very good survival horror, but the cinematics sometimes interrupt the gameplay and the combat are a bit too sparse until the end.

I'm playing rogue trader so I won't get into it much, but I finished it, and yes, I agree (except the masterpiece part, it's been way too long that a game with such a narrative came out).

It's "horror" yes and a pretty good one, but it shouldn't be seen only as such - it's more wholesome (as much as I hate this disgusting word) than any games that try to be "wholesome", it's made me laugh more than any supposedly funny games that I've played the last decade, and imo it has an SL2-grade narrative, which I don't think I have said for any other game in the past.

I was not too fond of the crossovers (not before I played Control at least) and mechanics leave something to be desired and beyond the brilliant dark place enemy design, yes it could use more types of enemies.

Silly gooses will think it's woke, but it's actually one of the few games that don't superficially have a black etc character in them just to have a black etc character, or pretentiously announce it to the player. Even when Saga (who is a pretty great protagonist) says something along the lines of "rich white men and their problems" for Alan, before understanding what is going on, is a funny and astute throwback to reality.
Yeah, it was completely natural to turn an established huwhite character named "Saga Anderson" into a negro.
Contrary to codexer's belief, people marrying outside their race is normal thing. Plus her dad is heavily implied to be warlin door.

user

Savant
i wouldn't go as far as a masterpiece, but it was very unique and entertaining. the story gets better the more you go in and realize the layers, and the meta plot. it has ton of heart too like the cheeky jaako advertisement live action videos, etc never fail to make me laugh. the setpieces are gorgeous. bigots here just see a black MC and go ham.

tbh if they have more enemy types and better exploration, it'd be a very good survival horror, but the cinematics sometimes interrupt the gameplay and the combat are a bit too sparse until the end.

I'm playing rogue trader so I won't get into it much, but I finished it, and yes, I agree (except the masterpiece part, it's been way too long that a game with such a narrative came out).

It's "horror" yes and a pretty good one, but it shouldn't be seen only as such - it's more wholesome (as much as I hate this disgusting word) than any games that try to be "wholesome", it's made me laugh more than any supposedly funny games that I've played the last decade, and imo it has an SL2-grade narrative, which I don't think I have said for any other game in the past.

I was not too fond of the crossovers (not before I played Control at least) and mechanics leave something to be desired and beyond the brilliant dark place enemy design, yes it could use more types of enemies.

Silly gooses will think it's woke, but it's actually one of the few games that don't superficially have a black etc character in them just to have a black etc character, or pretentiously announce it to the player. Even when Saga (who is a pretty great protagonist) says something along the lines of "rich white men and their problems" for Alan, before understanding what is going on, is a funny and astute throwback to reality.
Yeah, it was completely natural to turn an established huwhite character named "Saga Anderson" into a negro.

I don't get how this was established. Was she white in the novel?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't get how this was established. Was she white in the novel?
There is a video in quantum break where it shows saga and alex casey drinking coffee and yes they used white actress.

Honestly doesnt bother me much unless they are replacing real, historical people with tons of references on how they look.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Finished this a while back, and I have to say, it's a fucking great game, good atmosphere, suspense, graphics, everything pretty top notch.

I didn't even play Alan Wake 1, but 2 felt like a love letter to alot of older games and movies, even, especially the black girl detective parts.
There were some cringe parts in Alans story n shit, but overall, this was a surprising solid surival horroresque game, and I liked it alot.

More please.

In general tho, 2023 has been an amazing year for horror/survival horror.

More please in 2024. Dead space 2 remake for starts could be nice.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
According to wikipedia, the latest patch introduced a new ending and a new difficulty mode. Basically, it expands on the OG so that it feels less like literally shooting down the franchise, but it feels like a patchwork to me. I still have to pirat- I mean, play the game when/if I can get a good graphics card.

Iucounu

Educated
Contrary to codexer's belief, people marrying outside their race is normal thing. Plus her dad is heavily implied to be warlin door.
Didn't see anyone complain about interracial marriages before you brought it up? :? What people do complain about is the current obsession with injecting black main characters everywhere. Why is that not superficial in AW2 --because the writers imply she has a black parent? Most black people do...

Personally I don't mind black characters, or interracial marriage, but when writers try to normalize racist views held by black main characters I think a line must be drawn. That said I haven't played the game, if it's all just a misunderstanding perhaps someone can clear things up? We don't want players to think black people are racist, do we?

911 Jumper

Educated
Remedy says it will ‘grow and expand’ the Alan Wake franchise in the future

Despite this, lol
Alan Wake 2 fastest-selling Remedy game, but yet to turn a profit
Alan Wake 2 is developer Remedy's fastest-selling game to date, but the studio is still to recuperate the project's development and marketing costs.
In its latest financial report, Remedy said Alan Wake 2 had now sold 1.3m units, with 1m of those occurring by the end of last year. This equates to 50 percent more copies and over three times more digital copies of Alan Wake 2 sold in the game's first two months than its previous release Control managed in its first four months (though it's worth noting Alan Wake 2 was a digital-only release).

Control has since gone on to sell over 4m units, and Remedy said it expected a similar trend with Alan Wake 2, as "a great game can generate excellent long tail sales". But, of course, games lose value over time - so copies sold after prices drop generate less revenue than at launch.
Remedy's CEO Tero Virtala said the company was "happy with the start of Alan Wake 2's sales". "The price point has also remained at a high level, and the game has already recouped a significant part of the development and marketing expenses. We will continue to develop the game to serve existing fans and attract new players and expect the game to continue selling well."

Following Alan Wake 2's launch, the Remedy team is also looking to its other franchises' futures. Virtala stated the studio's other projects Condor, Control 2 and Max Payne 1 & 2 remake have "all increased development pace" thanks to additional staff moving over from working on Alan Wake 2. "We expect these projects to reach their next development stages during the first half of 2024," Virtala said. The CEO also added that "growing and expanding" on both Control and Alan Wake will be a "key part" of Remedy's future.

Indeed, two paid DLC expansions are on the way for Alan Wake 2. The first expansion - Night Springs - will allow you to play as "several familiar characters from the world of Alan Wake" as you "experience the unexplainable in multiple self-contained episodes of Night Springs" (which is, of course, this universe's in-game TV show based on The Twilight Zone).

That will be followed by a second expansion, known as The Lake House. This expansion will see players exploring a "mysterious facility situated on the shores of Cauldron Lake set up by an independent government organisation to conduct secret research... until something goes wrong".
Source: Eurogamer

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Someone actually bought this piece of shit?
The gaming industry, much like the movie, music and arts industries, has become a closed self-referential system. It's not about what anything is worth or how highly it is valued by the public, it's all about the approval of a specific clique that determines success.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I really do not understand why Remedy thought a AAA sequel to a mid XBOX360 horror shooter was ever a good idea. At least Control with its AA budget did evantually break even.

user

Savant
Amazing news! Now even my potato toaster Raspberry Pi can run Alan Wake 2 without a hitch! Can't wait to delve into Alan Wake 2 again!

deuxhero

Arcane
The advertisement for the sequel to a decade old title that was a cult classic at best was massive. Apparently the budget was so fucked it's not profitable after a million copies sold.
https://archive.is/OMLNu

Quick math says that if they only made an average of 25 euros per copy (almost certainly more, but that's how much the same article says they made on Control over 5 years of discounted price+EGS mass buy so we'll use it as a minimum), and we assume due to phrasing that's post royalties for UE and other stuff, that's a budget of substantially over 32.5 million USD.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The advertisement for the sequel to a decade old title that was a cult classic at best was massive. Apparently the budget was so fucked it's not profitable after a million copies sold.

Quick math says that if they only made an average of 25 euros per copy (almost certainly more, but that's how much the same article says they made on Control over 5 years of discounted price+EGS mass buy so we'll use it as a minimum), and we assume due to phrasing that's post royalties for UE and other stuff, that's a budget of substantially over 32.5 million USD.
It's not because the game is shit (albeit it is), but because it's Epic Shit Store exclusive.

These retards never learn.

deuxhero

Arcane
They ported it to PS5 and it still barely broke a million. I think store exclusivity on PC isn't that big an issue. How many copies was the EGS exclusivity equivalent to again?

Elttharion

Learned

Finnish analysts estimated Alan Wake 2's total budget at €70 million ($75 million), with €20 million of that dedicated to marketing.
:lol:

Gerrard

Arcane

djQ70cU.png

I don't even know who this is. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom