Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
question about a quest you can get in the chamber of commerce bunker

this guy wants me to kill everyone at the circus but not sure if I should... dunno who this guy is, and if the rewards are worth it... I assume it will affect the ending slides or something but not sure if it is the start of a larger chain or tied to a faction or soemthing?
In the circus you could enter the plane. There is an old woman there that you could talk to.

As for the killing...sure why not,they are mutant filth.

You know Commissar Comrade not some bleeding heart liberal cuck here but man who enjoys day of good purging and scurging but...
Quest giver turns to be Circus Mutant too not concerned Wasteland Patriot.

I always talk to NPCs in such game and those circus freaks are really not SJWs always offended bunch and snow flake entitled bunch they do know their proper place after all so I decided to go back to quest giver and told him to be not such triggered twat. There are many occasions when you can go Judge Dread/Comrade Stalin on people who do deserve it but those mutants were harmless and add some entertainment to wasteland. I genuinely pitted them but to not the extend of expending my ammo to give them Lenin's mercy.
I know,after i was done with the circus i decided to purge the filthy capitalists at the city bunker beginning with him! I too talked with them and did all the quests,still impurities should be removed,no middle grounds fore me!
:lol:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i want to know when i pick a lock whether luck was involved or not, how high i rolled, how high the difficulty of the lock was, everything...

If it writes "failed to pick", you can do it at some %.

"Can't break the lock" means you need to raise your lockpicking skill.
right, so that was a bad example. there's also stealth, tinkering, technology, pickpocket... all a bit opaque.

Vityaz

Augur
Is there no other way of getting into Krasno without getting ripped off by
the mongoloid looking guard? My Speechcraft and Barter are apparently not high enough, and I'd rather keep those 1k rubles...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
the mongoloid looking guard? My Speechcraft and Barter are apparently not high enough, and I'd rather keep those 1k rubles...

Give him cigarettes. :smug:

QL7kHt7.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
19 hours in and I'm only just at the Roaring Forest :lol:

This game was meant to be played slowly Comrade, talk with every NPCs, check out every dumpster and do every quest before moving forward. Don't remember game I was int rested in playing from start to finish since very long time. :thumbsup: What does irritates me in this game is the lack of manual imput of stuff you put from and onto car; well I think I finished all the quests I found its time to visit the Dead City.

oscar

Arcane

Just the beginning of crazy bribes you're gonna have to cough up..

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
For those who know Russian, this Happy New Year gift - a review on Han Solo shit out aka высер by Goblin (the author of Planet Alcatraz game).
Laughing hard.
With subtitles.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Wait a Crossbow is a fucking Throwing Weapon?

:rpgcodex:
I know it says that in the game... But I think it's not...
Have you updated? Nowadays his speech check is only 80! You could've also used First Aid to be let in for free. We made these two cryptocurrency people who pay 1000 for a simple quest right next to him. Or you can do something devious and poison him!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Atomboy btw I was saddened when I found out you are from Latvia.
I thought Russian gamedev встаёт с колен lol.
Turned out not so much, because at best Atom could be called as "Soviet heritage" kind of game, instead it's Baltic states coming to success ) - first Disco Elysium, then you.

Or was Atom first? :lol:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I dunno, but how about saying

"Anyone likeness in this game's graphic is totally accidental and not intentional at all."

from start to finish.

You know nutink. you admit nutink~
Legal stuff

I don't know how its in Latvia Comrade but here if you want to use real people likeness you need their written permission but... for example if you put Boris Putinov and give him mustache as your ex KGB Kolhoz director for example it becomes however pastiche and you can include them anyway and sometimes public persons have lesser protection but its ALWAYS ask for a permission first... if you think about making real game studio its best to contact Latvian lawyer about Latvian Copy Right and google about Kwan one since Valve is US corporation and they have this we consider hole globe under our jurisdiction (but we are not beholden under international law mindset :P.) instead of asking random comrades on internet. By the way did you asked whoever owns M-16, Makarov, Kalashnikov or any other gun made in XX century if they are OK to be put in your game? I doubt Russian State or Arm factories will sue you (its unpaid advertisement for them) Comrade but its better to be sure than sorry. Short citations from books and songs are fair use in Potato-land where Commissar lives and remember that copy rights litigation is business so they won't go after small fly.

Ninjaed by Canus So yes its better to ask and best doing it in future cause you don't want to admit you used their image without consent its always better to wait for their action.
Also, I would like to ask some of the famous Codex law experts for a helpful hint.

There I sat, googling Atom's name, like I always do, when suddenly I saw this reddit thread, that talked about me adding my favorite internet celebrity likenesses into the game as a homage to my favorite internet celebrities - the Red Letter Media people. They got that idea that we were stealing stuff with some sort of an internet scraper thing, so I came over and told them that it's a homage, and I emailed the guys (no reply tho) and we don't use those likenesses in commercial materials for the game, and we'll delete them as soon as they tell us if they tell us... But there are still people saying it's not legal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedLetterMedia/comments/aapsi8/this_npc_in_atomrpg_looks_kinda_hacky/

I'm by no means American, but I consider myself a man of culture and I heard of what you call fair use. Isn't drawing a picture that looks like a real person and using it as a homage considered transformative and thus fair use? Did Ethan Klein scam us with FUPA for nothing? Will Sam Hyde take me to court for using his likeness in a wanted poster as a joke? Jokes are transformative and fair use, aren't they? Aren't they? Makes me kinda worried, honestly. Here I was thinking I'm referencing people in good fun, building my time capsule and all that. I don't get it. What's fair use then? Will it be fair use if we put mustaches on the homages or give them silly hats? I'm using "humor" to mask real dread here, guys!

Edit: I also used a line from Depeche Mode, and a line from Dune, and several lines from movies and stuff. Is that fair use at least?

Edit 2: What are you yessing tho? :(((((( My thoughts, or the inevitability of punishment from Sam?

I am not a practising barrister, but I did spend a substantial amount of time studying law from a media management perspective, so I do have some basic knowledge of this area.

What they're referring to is the right of publicity, more commonly called likeness rights, which essentially means your ability to control your image and make money from it. Now, in your case, they would have to show that their likeness had been used for an exploitative purpose, and they had not consented to that. On a technical level placing someone's likeness or name within a game is going to be classed as using their image for an exploitative purpose, and you've said you didn't get consent. The issue you'll have here is that the right of publicity is different from state to state in America, or at least was when I was studying this, and so the relevant law will depend on where the person you included as a homage is based.

Anyway, given that they don't appear in your advertising material, that you have edited their likenesses, you are not profiting from their likenesses appearing in your game, and there is a general acceptance for this sort of thing in video games of this type, at least at a low level highly edited point, I would imagine you'd be fine. Having said that do try and get consent if you're doing something like this again. I would also advise you to stop popping up on Reddit and publicly stating that you're making usage of the likenesses of particular people. There is a world of difference between something thinking you might have done something and leaving a written record saying you have.

In relation to fair use it relates to copyright, which is a related field but is distinct from likeness rights. Having said that the 5th factor of fair use, 'transformative work', would generally also be considered to cover you in this instance if the works were seen as having taken the images and made them something new and your own. As to if what you have done would be considered transformation, I'd have to see the images, but the Americans seem to wildly disagree on what is, and what is not, transformatory.

EDIT: On your point about referencing lines and things from movies in the game. I've don't recall the specifics here, but in general anything taken from movies, music, books, etc, is all copyrighted material. Again, I wouldn't really be worried about it given the way you've used it.

Thanks guys! You set my heart at rest!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Turned out not so much, because at best Atom could be called as "Soviet heritage" kind of game, instead it's Baltic states coming to success ) - first Disco Elysium, then you.

Naaah, everyone встаёт с колен with ATOM. I'm just half of the writer\translator team. More important guys live in Russia (even better - Siberia!), Ukraine and even as far as Poland! Weird to learn Disco Elysium is Baltic, tho... I thought they were English!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Naaah, everyone встаёт с колен with ATOM. I'm just half of the writer\translator team. More important guys live in Russia (even better - Siberia!), Ukraine and even as far as Poland! Weird to learn Disco Elysium is Baltic, tho... I thought they were English!

They’re from Estonia

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Dude, tech guys not important - in a sense from where game originates, it's writing team, who create the world and breathe life into the picture.

Is Latvia like Lithuania?
I spent time in Lithuania when I was a member of my state's national guard. :shittydog:

I have no idea, for me thee coutries are complete mystery, even in USSR they felt like foreign country.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
um found some slave woman at a bandit camp and freed her, then she joined my party and asked to go to krazsno... go there and dunno what to do... she is level 1 and has no equipment, dunno what to use her for

can i sell her?

Vrab

Learned
um found some slave woman at a bandit camp and freed her, then she joined my party and asked to go to krazsno... go there and dunno what to do... she is level 1 and has no equipment, dunno what to use her for

can i sell her?

You can just tell her that you are leaving her/she can go or however it's formulated once in Krasno.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

can i sell her?

You are awful man comrade
but yes once Shishak makes his coup you can enter bratva den on ship and sell her for 600 Rubles (900 with skill check) to Pimp. She is useless in fight, can't even cook and you can't even f... her so proper Gentleman can let her go once in Krasno, she will work in Fidel bar but again you won't even get a free drink for being white kinght so the choice is yours.

I do think I found first game braking bug the first AI powered door reject all the answers concerning what was your position in Institute; got two notes, keycard and photo from suitcase. Maybe I miss some cleverly eaten by rat puzzle part?

Dead City as hole seems to be very rushed and lacks content shame cause its very climatic location.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom