Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jackofshadows

Magister
There will be plenty of scenarios where you may want to jump with a character and not have others in auto-follow.
Sure but that is what unchain option for.

Look, I'm not a fan of this and would prefer if they'd change this with the usual RTS-like controls for SP mode exclusively, just not a huge deal.

Also when they're unchained, it's very simple to control them by F1-F4, when you jumping into Underdark one by one, for instance. Unchain part itself is what annoying a little, they should add context menu option maybe for that.

Shinros

Learned
Using the tadpole enough times causes the dialogue to change, it was mentioned before in the thread.

The woman and the tadpole are seperate. The dream lady is a proxy for the god.

847AEE5B1300F2C72B1B727D63AC824E34A63B45

Also wyll is

larping as a hero.

He approves if you push him to torture a man for information as per the goblins request.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The dice know what they're doing. You shouldn't meddle in things you do not understand.
I don't play tabletop, but one guy told me that he was so inspired by Arcanum that he introduced Fate Points to whatever tabletop campaign he was playing. E.G, you have three fate points and you can use them to reroll at any given time.
That's not an uncommon mechanic. D&D 5E has the built-in inspiration system, but fate points were already present in previous editions within specific supplements and/or settings.

Modifying rolls through whatever incarnation of "fate points" your game has is not cheating, because it's part of the rules. D&D characters have tons of ways to reroll bad rolls, but a DM arbitrarily changing the result of a roll is a completely different thing.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You guys gotta be joking with the companions.

Three effeminate men, one of them is a gay vampire and the other two are spellcasters. They all look like dweebs and one of them is named Gale. Horrible.

Two females, Shadowheart, and a noseless bitch with attitude that looks like Michael Jackson, of course she's the fighter.

Another game that requires a custom party. I'd kill every one of them.
I ended up enjoying them quite a bit after getting used to them.

That said, they really need custom party members because not everyone has my appreciation for unlikeable characters. :M

Thonius

Arcane
The dice know what they're doing. You shouldn't meddle in things you do not understand.
I don't play tabletop, but one guy told me that he was so inspired by Arcanum that he introduced Fate Points to whatever tabletop campaign he was playing. E.G, you have three fate points and you can use them to reroll at any given time.
Here it's called inspiration points. DURRR.

Using the tadpole enough times causes the dialogue to change, it was mentioned before in the thread.

Also wyll is

larping as a hero.

He approves if you push him to torture a man for information as per the goblins request.
Well, yes, the woman and the tadpole are separate, but they are related. The tadpole is her proxy.

And yes, Wyll is a total larper. Ffs, he keeps calling himself “the blade of frontiers”. What a hateable character.

If you side with the goblins outright, he will leave eventually, saying “there’s no place for a hero here”.
The companions in this game all seem to be written to make you hate their guts. It’s not about which ones you like more, it’s which ones you hate less.

Shadowheart is the best, even though

calling it now, she probably has a husband or ex boyfriend she doesn’t remember that will come up when her memories get restored

followed by Astarion and Lae’zel. Gale is actually growing on me a bit and Wyll is the worst, but I haven’t been able to stomach him enough to take him with me.

You guys gotta be joking with the companions.

Three effeminate men, one of them is a gay vampire and the other two are spellcasters. They all look like dweebs and one of them is named Gale. Horrible.

Two females, Shadowheart, and a noseless bitch with attitude that looks like Michael Jackson, of course she's the fighter.

Another game that requires a custom party. I'd kill every one of them.
Decline, man. Due to modern Obsidian, Bioware, Larian and Shittesda games people lowered their bar so fucking low that it gonna hit Mariana trench any time.
One of the few things Beamdog did with BG:EE that was good was make custom party members available in single player. It used to only be available in multiplayer.

There’s probably a way to make multiplayer characters and drag them into your single player game here, but I haven’t tried it yet.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Map Structure Lessens the Feel of Adventure: The first major map contains too many places and points of interest on a single map to be believable. Places such as the Druid's Grove, Blighted Village, Waukeen's Rest Inn, Hag's swamp, etc., are all within a minute of walking distance from one another, making the first map feel like a theme park crammed with attractions without any thematic consistency. In BG 1&2 or Kingmaker, places such as the Druid's Grove or the Goblin Camp would have been their own separate map, and just the simple act of traveling from one location to another using the world map would have gone a long way towards replicating the feeling of adventuring across Faerun. The Underdark map fares better due to being more focused in its content, but BG 3 is going to require many more such maps to capture the Faerun-spanning adventure feel of its predecessors.
I can't agree with this enough, or put it so well.

Excellent comment. Thank you for the whole post. I hope you send it to Larian as well, and do it publicly on their forum.

Making use of the Tadpole's powers sets up unknown consequences down the line, and might lead to yet another evil path through the game in addition to the evil paths present in individual quests.
Swen confirmed around the time of the reveal trailer that the player will have the option to become a full Mindflayer. It remains to be explained how this will work systems-wise, and if the player will essentially lose his initial character completely.

Shinros

Learned
Well, yes, the woman and the tadpole are separate, but they are related. The tadpole is her proxy.

And yes, Wyll is a total larper. Ffs, he keeps calling himself “the blade of frontiers”. What a hateable character.

If you side with the goblins outright, he will leave eventually, saying “there’s no place for a hero here”.
The companions in this game all seem to be written to make you hate their guts. It’s not about which ones you like more, it’s which ones you hate less.

calling it now, she probably has a husband or ex boyfriend she doesn’t remember that will come up when her memories get restored

followed by Astarion and Lae’zel. Gale is actually growing on me a bit and Wyll is the worst, but I haven’t been able to stomach him enough to take him with me.

In the case of the companions I think the opposite is happening, they grow on you the more you learn about them. With Wyll, I don't think he's a good person, that's the point of his character. People get sucked into whole "blade of frontiers" and he's the only "good" companion, failing to realise he's just a weak man. He never resists the dreams, even though he says you should. It's that aspect that has me interested, I also think it's funny as hell that he's

larping as a hero.

In the case of shadowheart?

I agree with you there, she seems really enamoured with the individual.

Lae'zel

Is also deeply insecure as I mentioned, like Wyll it's obvious she doesn't resist the dreams. Because she wants more power to be recognised by Vlaakith.

When it comes to the resident vampire? I'm interested in his quest, why?

Because fighting a proper vampire sounds fun and I do think you will most likely get the choice whether to make him a full vampire or not. Larian seems to be pushing those kinds of choices.

Issue is, you don't get a lot of this information if you don't use the tadpole in EA.

Takamori

Learned

Also wyll is

larping as a hero.

092.gif

1. Map Structure Lessens the Feel of Adventure: The first major map contains too many places and points of interest on a single map to be believable. Places such as the Druid's Grove, Blighted Village, Waukeen's Rest Inn, Hag's swamp, etc., are all within a minute of walking distance from one another, making the first map feel like a theme park crammed with attractions without any thematic consistency. In BG 1&2 or Kingmaker, places such as the Druid's Grove or the Goblin Camp would have been their own separate map, and just the simple act of traveling from one location to another using the world map would have gone a long way towards replicating the feeling of adventuring across Faerun. The Underdark map fares better due to being more focused in its content, but BG 3 is going to require many more such maps to capture the Faerun-spanning adventure feel of its predecessors.
I can't agree with this enough, or put it so well.

Excellent comment. Thank you for the whole post. I hope you send it to Larian as well, and do it publicly on their forum.

Their entire map design has been pretty damn condensed in DOS as well, which is curious considering they're fans of Ultima (at least Swen is). That said, the Underdark technically isn't its own map. It's actually part of the same map, same as all the other underground locations (there are no loading bars in between, plus you can teleport between Underdark and the rest of the places freely). Which makes hopeful that the city map/s will have some of that too -- thinking of the interconnected sewer system that added an extra dimension to the original's Baldur's Gate area.

Maybe this isn't going to be their "biggest" map anyways, not sure what the engine is technically capable of.

Also wyll is

larping as a hero.

092.gif
Don't get me wrong: if the 7-man cuck squad ever fully cucks the player, I'll call them out for it, but I still have to appreciate what a great job they did of writing hateable characters.

I just can't tell if it was intentional or not.
thinking.png

Their dungeons and locs like inner goblin camp are great. But outside is uhhh. Is that all because of that teleportation system?
Gonna have to be more descriptive than "uhhhh" for us to know what you're talking about.

The roads? Is that it? Generally, there have to be roads from place to place...

Also, it took me until my second playthrough to realize there was a fast travel button or than I could visit my camp without ending the day.

:negative:

In the case of the companions I think the opposite is happening, they grow on you the more you learn about them. With Wyll, I don't think he's a good person, that's the point of his character. People get sucked into whole "blade of frontiers" and he's the only "good" companion, failing to realise he's just a weak man. He never resists the dreams, even though he says you should. It's that aspect that has me interested, I also think it's funny as hell that he's

larping as a hero.

In the case of shadowheart?

I agree with you there, she seems really enamoured with the individual.

Lae'zel

Is also deeply insecure as I mentioned, like Wyll it's obvious she doesn't resist the dreams. Because she wants more power to be recognised by Vlaakith.

When it comes to the resident vampire? I'm interested in his quest, why?

Because fighting a proper vampire sounds fun and I do think you will most likely get the choice whether to make him a full vampire or not. Larian seems to be pushing those kinds of choices.

Issue is, you don't get a lot of this information if you don't use the tadpole in EA.
Frankly, the guy Shadowheart has the highest chance of cucking the player with early on is Gale, since she never outright refuses him no matter how many advances he makes. No idea who Shadowheart's dream crush is. There's no evidence that it's a real person or that that would matter, though it's possible.

Shadowheart and all the companions (except Wyll) want to resist the dreams. Only Astarion is OK with the player going full retard with the Illithid dialog options and yet his dream crush is his master, whom he hates.

I think Lae'zel kills herself if you go full True Soul. Even though the dream tempts her, she recognizes it for what it is. Maybe there's a way to avoid this if you have high influence though. I know she'll also try to kill herself early on and you can stop that.

And yeah, Wyll is a larper. He's the most likely to betray the party if not influenced by the player.

The tadpole is a shortcut to a lot of info. I suspect that there are other ways to unlock this stuff down the line.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
So were the laran cultists this passionate about dos2 here as well? or is this all unprecedented. I'm just curious to see if in 5 years people will look at bg3 the same way we now look at dos2; as the larian-created piece of shit we know it as today. larian has taken every opportunity to put their annoying dos stuff in this game so why would it be any different?

So were the laran cultists this passionate about dos2 here as well?
I liked DOS1's combat a bit, but I've never been "a cultist". I own, but never played through much of DOS2. Larian's writing is usually boring and nonsensical to me. Not so with BG3.

I'm just curious to see if in 5 years people will look at bg3 the same way we now look at dos2; as the larian-created piece of shit we know it as today.
If DOS2 were like BG3, I'd probably have actually finished it.

larian larian larian larian larian larian larian larian larian larian larian larian
:liberals:

I think we all know who the real cultist is here and it's not the people who simply like the game and appreciate all the stat checks and branching quest lines the devs took the time and effort to put into it.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
but I've never been "a cultist"
You are absolutely a cultist. Slobbering all over swen and dos3 everywhere in this thread. They can do no wrong in your eyes and you take every opportunity to reply to everyone in this thread with a single bad thing to say about them. You can't admit that larian is capable of creating a single bad thing in dos3. I can at least admit that swen is a savvy, although passionless, business man by apealing to the degenerates and the twitch crowd who are almost as culty as his own community.

Swen confirmed around the time of the reveal trailer that the player will have the option to become a full Mindflayer. It remains to be explained how this will work systems-wise, and if the player will essentially lose his initial character completely.
Based. I want to be a mind flayer.

ccYS9OY.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom