Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
By the way, I'm thinking about switching starting class from rogue to some kind of black knight.
Depends on what do you mean by the black knight. I'd go with oathbreaker or vengeance paladin.

I'm very dissapointed with Karlach. Didn't mind the idea of having such concept of a character in my party before but even that cringy af date scene aside she looks as some typical critical role char rather than the blood war veteran or whatever.
Karlach made no sense as a Blood War veteran since day 1. A veteran of the Blood War, who struck fear into the hearts of demons and has personal attention of an archdevil is a level 1 character. With just about everyone you can make excuses, but Karlach's backstory simply makes no sense with the game's starting premise of fighting fucking goblins. I hope the rest of her character will make up for it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
A veteran of the Blood War, who struck fear into the hearts of demons and has personal attention of an archdevil is a level 1 character. With just about everyone you can make excuses, but Karlach's backstory simply makes no sense with the game's starting premise of fighting fucking goblins.
I dislike this too. She should've been someone we meet later, and can fight against or recruit into the party.
Loghain.JPG

ArchAngel

Arcane
By the way, I'm thinking about switching starting class from rogue to some kind of black knight.
Depends on what do you mean by the black knight. I'd go with oathbreaker or vengeance paladin.

I'm very dissapointed with Karlach. Didn't mind the idea of having such concept of a character in my party before but even that cringy af date scene aside she looks as some typical critical role char rather than the blood war veteran or whatever.
Karlach made no sense as a Blood War veteran since day 1. A veteran of the Blood War, who struck fear into the hearts of demons and has personal attention of an archdevil is a level 1 character. With just about everyone you can make excuses, but Karlach's backstory simply makes no sense with the game's starting premise of fighting fucking goblins. I hope the rest of her character will make up for it.
You can even explain lvl 1 as some kind of curse or something but nothing can explain or save her character from that voice acting.. OMG

Larianshill

Arbiter
Actually I talked about it before, but only Lae'zel and maybe Shadowheart make sense as level 1 characters.

Wyll - old version was a renowned hero who apparently defeated all kinds of menaces by himself. We'll see what new and improved Wyll is about.
Gale - has a True Resurrection scroll just lying around, and a netherese orb in his chest. I would also list him fucking Mystra, but Mystra is a whore who will fuck anything, so that's not actually much of an achievement.
Astarion - is a vampire spawn, and thus should be able to solo the entire plot of the early access.
Lae'zel - rookie space pirate, who explicitly has no achievements under her belt and covers up her lack of skill and knowledge with attitude.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wyll - old version was a renowned hero who apparently defeated all kinds of menaces by himself. We'll see what new and improved Wyll is about.
I assumed he is lying about that stuff? My understanding was that his character is someone who wants to be a renowned hero defeating all kinds of menaces by himself, and he made a deal with a demon to make that happen, but it hasn't actually happened yet. So he's just boasting. Faust in the making.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I assumed he is lying about that stuff? My understanding was that his character is someone who wants to be a renowned hero defeating all kinds of menaces by himself, and he made a deal with a demon to make that happen, but it hasn't actually happened yet. So he's just boasting. Faust in the making.
That is what I thought as well, but I believe the bard PC explicitly recognizes him.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Remaking Wyll was honestly a genius idea, kudos to Larian for that. He was by far the least convincing and interesting character, and in every poll I've seen he has consistently taken the last place both when it comes to loved and hated characters. For someone so supposedly loud and in your face, he somehow managed to elicit zero emotion. Hopefully they make him actually good.

Takamori

Learned
Why is everyone still so ugly is my main question.
Mods will fix it.

Ok now regarding the Belgian cringe etc, I won't engage because that's fucking low quality. But let them do whatever its not like I'm forced to get pegged by a bear or anything.
On last resort you can make your Billions Must die character and murder everyone. I will give to them that they are letting the player do the most unhinged stuff possible in game.

DemonKing

Arcane
Just woke up and watched the launch trailer…this confirms my theory that despite BG2 being beloved its introduction of romanceable NPCs destroyed the CRPG genre.

Clown world confirmed when a developer thinks the best way to sell a game is to show inter-racial gay sex off. Is there really an audience out there for this that will be profitable?

Takamori

Learned
Just woke up and watched the launch trailer…this confirms my theory that despite BG2 being beloved it’s introduction of romanceable NPCs destroyed the CRPG genre.

Clown world confirmed when a developer thinks the best way to sell a game is to show inter-racial gay sex off. Is there really an audience out there for this that will be profitable?
Check the steam global top sellers with no filters on.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like I turned off the stream at just the right time. I am not sure I want to go back and finish it, knowing what is going to appear.

I am glad to hear Larian is rewriting Wyll. He has the least compelling introduction imo.

Still wish they added hexblade, but there are mods.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Unlike most people here, I actually like romances in RPG as long as you can choose if you want to romance someone and who you romance.

But even I can't take what Larian is doing here. It's not the gay beastiality makes me mad, it's their god awful writing. If done right romance can help the player know a character better and get attached to them, but all Larian care about is "look isni't it funny a druid turns into a bear during sex?". The dialogue they show is just god damn afwul, there is no redeeming quality here.

Larian has always been focusing too much on the funny and edgy stuff in their game, I always thought they would tone it done a little bit but looks like they just go fuck you and cranck it up to 11.

Last edited:
Gargaune you know what? It was dawning on me that despise their irrational attachment to the toilet chain Larian probably hate these controls as well.

There's no public demonstration they made where they don't systematically ditch the party and try to do some convoluted shit with a single character, because in the end they know at an instinctive level that manoeuvring around with a full group feels like garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom